Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187438 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #840 on: August 05, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »
That looks really good. I missed the early August update until today and for some reason  the new download while saying it's the August version still keeps reverting to the hulu 19 version any idea why?

I just hit "save" on the page.  It should say "6 August 2019" at the bottom of the menu screen.  If not, please let me know -- the wrong version must have been uploaded.  Here's what the blurb should look like on the lower right corner of the main menu screen:

Screenshot 2019-08-05 21.15.44.png

Offline KingofKings696

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #841 on: August 05, 2019, 09:19:05 PM »
Yeah mine is showing July 19th however file from the rr2 site is saying 02aug

Ps didnt realize you already updated to aug06 build I'll see if that 1 works right.

Offline KingofKings696

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #842 on: August 05, 2019, 11:16:48 PM »
The new version is working for me now however I built a new robot and tested it it sent me to main screen now just says robot I cant click to open it or anything and cant delete either and i can go in build a new bot and it wont show up either i broke it lol.

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #843 on: August 06, 2019, 12:06:19 AM »
Upon installing the patch, I had a bug where two of my bots disappeared in-game and were replaced with a dummy simply called "robot."
I couldn't do anything with the dummy so I simply deleted to the two robots through the files and the dummy disappeared.

Outside of that one thing, the game is still great.  Especially now that I can see shell spinners.

Only one other bug report to be found since last update, being that this robot is completely unaffected by the pit's killzone in the test arena.  Might be a height thing.

I have several opinions.

Offline KingofKings696

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #844 on: August 06, 2019, 02:20:27 AM »
My latest design has crashed the game back to main menu 3 times in a row against 3 different AI all on test arena

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #845 on: August 06, 2019, 06:04:50 AM »
My latest design has crashed the game back to main menu 3 times in a row against 3 different AI all on test arena

Darn.  Would you mind sending me the .RR2Bot file?

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #846 on: August 06, 2019, 06:11:35 AM »
After some some tinkering and help from Gulden (cheers boss) I've been able to get my bots working in this update. Only real issue I've noticed is the ice skate-y physics for some bots when inverted, but if that's the price of having my bots work then I'm more than willing to pay it. Really enjoying the combat dynamics too. The spinner physics and the tradeoffs between raw KE vs bite depth are proving really interesting to me.

Cheers for keeping up the work and listening to all our issues guys, this game is really starting to feel like the future  :thumbup
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #847 on: August 06, 2019, 06:18:44 AM »
After some some tinkering and help from Gulden (cheers boss) I've been able to get my bots working in this update. Only real issue I've noticed is the ice skate-y physics for some bots when inverted, but if that's the price of having my bots work then I'm more than willing to pay it. Really enjoying the combat dynamics too. The spinner physics and the tradeoffs between raw KE vs bite depth are proving really interesting to me.

Cheers for keeping up the work and listening to all our issues guys, this game is really starting to feel like the future  :thumbup
Maybe add small rubber pads at top to add friction?

I need yet to test the build, but from what ive heared, hosting is now a big possibility

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #848 on: August 06, 2019, 06:20:38 AM »
kix,

Does the 06August2019 build still have the problem with taking forever to get back to the main screen? 

I wasn't seeing the delays in the 02August2019 build on my end, but I did a ton of cleanup of the Debug.Log() statements anyway.  The 06August2019 build should generate less garbage than the 02August2019 build.  This should reduce the time required to switch back to the main screen.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #849 on: August 06, 2019, 06:23:16 AM »
kix,

Does the 06August2019 build still have the problem with taking forever to get back to the main screen? 

I wasn't seeing the delays in the 02August2019 build on my end, but I did a ton of cleanup of the Debug.Log() statements anyway.  The 06August2019 build should generate less garbage than the 02August2019 build.  This should reduce the time required to switch back to the main screen.
Will have to check when im home

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #850 on: August 06, 2019, 06:38:52 AM »
Sounds good!

Also, the problem with robots not showing up is happening for me too.

I suspect that this is due to the work @tashic is doing that affects the BotLab and .RR2Bot files.  As Guldenflame wrote, whenever we make changes to the BotLab:
1. Copy your old .RR2Bot files somewhere else (maybe to the Desktop?).
2. Delete the game's Robots directory.
3. Restart the game and go to the Robot Workshop.  This will recreate the Robots directory.
4. Move your old .RR2Bot files back into the new Robots directory.  They should now be visible in the game.

PS - I don't know if anyone has dug into a .RR2Bot file recently, but you might notice that the file now stores data about the armor plates.  We are hoping to make these plates destructible in a future build:

"collision_hulls": [],
                "hulls_local_pos": [],
                "surface_area": 0.0,
                "com": {
                    "x": 0.0,
                    "y": 0.0,
                    "z": 0.0
                },
                "shape_plates": [
                    {
                        "plate_visual_mesh": {
                            "vertices": [
                                {
                                    "x": -0.30000001192092898,
                                    "y": 0.0010000000474974514,
                                    "z": 0.30000001192092898
                                },

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #851 on: August 06, 2019, 06:45:21 AM »
Really enjoying the combat dynamics too. The spinner physics and the tradeoffs between raw KE vs bite depth are proving really interesting to me.

I'm glad you like it!

I was inspired by team RioBotz' collaboration with the MIT Mech E department to design their drum spinners:

http://web.mit.edu/jlramos/www/Arquivos/Drum%20Shape%20Design%20and%20Optimization.pdf

It turns out that an out-of-balance spinner shape automatically runs slower in Unity's PhysX simulation, so all I had to do was a bite depth calculation to get a fairly complete spinner model.

Offline KingofKings696

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #852 on: August 06, 2019, 07:46:44 AM »
I got to thinking is there any chance we could get tracks soon? I figure with the pulley/chain system itd be easy to make something similar for basic tracks and later could add a way to make tracks that were a simple 2 spur setup.

Also maybe a way to slow down the different pneumatic and linear systems to make  more controlled movements for various builds.

I'd also love to see flatter motors for horizontals and shell spinners.

I'd also love to see maybe a control system more like ra2 where there isnt as much overlap on controls to allow for more advanced designs where I dont have to remember which button did what.

With all that said I'm loving this game especially this last build where there are some reactions to the forces from spinners keep up the good work :)

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #853 on: August 06, 2019, 07:58:00 AM »
I'd also love to see flatter motors for horizontals and shell spinners.

Pancake motors have been requested repeatedly (including by my good self) so I'm sure they're on the devs' to-do list already. I think they're still at the point where they're getting the physics, mechanics, and general gameplay nailed down; once that's taken care of, then they can start focusing on adding more content.
My DSL Showcase

Offline KingofKings696

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #854 on: August 06, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »
Oh for sure on the priorities. I also didnt realize it had been previously brought up.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #855 on: August 06, 2019, 08:43:20 AM »
We are trying to stick to real-life motors only.  The ME0708 is used in Tombstone/Last Rites, and is very similar to the custom motor used in Carbide.  Let me know if there is something else you are looking for, and we can put it on the list of motors to model.

Edit:  Right now we have permission to use Motenergy and Ampflow motors.  Here are their product lines.  If you see anything you like here, it should be a simple matter to model it up.  Let me know if there is anything here that might fit the bill:

http://ampflow.com
http://motenergy.com

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #856 on: August 06, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
Maybe adding P40 lines of ampflow motors? Also Ampflow geared motors sound well.
idk how hard would it be to get a license from Vex or Magmotor comp.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #857 on: August 06, 2019, 09:19:37 AM »
New issue: My 10 or so bots are gone, and there is one robot button that does nothing. Cant also make new bots

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #858 on: August 06, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »
New issue: My 10 or so bots are gone, and there is one robot button that does nothing. Cant also make new bots

That happened to me too.

Check out the instructions from a few posts back...

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #859 on: August 06, 2019, 09:50:23 AM »

That happened to me too.

Check out the instructions from a few posts back...
Doesnt work. Seems that adding, the armor plates stats break that, (copied/merged some .rr2bot lines)