Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187935 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #820 on: August 02, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
My 2 wheel drive bots are still just straight up unable to turn. It's been like this since IIRC the bugglebots patch came out. I've tried replacing the drive motors and everything and nothing seems to work. It's as though the chassis has crazy high friction with the floor or something

Maybe try some UHMW skids?  I’ve been experimenting with small spheres...
The UHMW skid seemed to help in the test arena, but when I took it into an actual fight I still couldn't turn at all. It's really got me stumped as to what's causing this

Maybe the bug that kix found where the motors suddenly increase in size?  Maybe try the 12” wheels?  Also, maybe try shifting as much weight as possible over the wheels?

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #821 on: August 02, 2019, 03:22:26 PM »
i've noticed that direct driving wheels for drive really doesn't work that well anymore, if you still have direct drive wheels, try using chain/belt drive and gearing them down, helped for a tombclone i had which drove like ass
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #822 on: August 02, 2019, 03:39:42 PM »
i've noticed that direct driving wheels for drive really doesn't work that well anymore, if you still have direct drive wheels, try using chain/belt drive and gearing them down, helped for a tombclone i had which drove like ass

Hmm.  Thats a really good point.  The Ampflow A28-150G motors we use for our 85 lb school robots are geared down with an 8.3:1 ratio.  This gives a stall torque of 122 Newton-meters.  I’m not sure what would happen if we tried running them ungeared.

For contrast, the ungeared A40-300 has a stall torque of 27 Newton-meters in the game.  This is pushing a robot that is almost 3 times heavier.

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #823 on: August 02, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »
For some reason, the game is very laggy in battle. I have a Windows 7 and I tried everything from low graphics and shrinking the screen.  :vista:

Have you tried any previous versions?  If so, is there any difference?
All the versions I played were just as laggy.  :(
what computer do you have
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #824 on: August 02, 2019, 04:03:57 PM »

Hmm.  Thats a really good point.  The Ampflow A28-150G motors we use for our 85 lb school robots are geared down with an 8.3:1 ratio.  This gives a stall torque of 122 Newton-meters.  I’m not sure what would happen if we tried running them ungeared.

For contrast, the ungeared A40-300 has a stall torque of 27 Newton-meters in the game.  This is pushing a robot that is almost 3 times heavier.
Maybe some drive motors in future?

For some reason, the game is very laggy in battle. I have a Windows 7 and I tried everything from low graphics and shrinking the screen.  :vista:

Idk what pc does he have, but this update, stuff is slow to load
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:34:16 AM by kix »

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #825 on: August 02, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »
i noticed a bug, it seems the bot weight that's displayed in menus is incorrect compared to the weight displayed in the botlab

Offline RpJk

• ♫Time has come to listen to the crying of their puppet souls♫
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Done and done.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #826 on: August 02, 2019, 04:32:09 PM »
I've just checked this out and I must say I'm really liking it despite my laptop being trash. Do you any long term goals for this project?
For example would you make it mobile or console compatible?
Old Stock Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=6590.0

I've moved to other forums. Under a different name. This is where it all began.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #827 on: August 02, 2019, 05:03:24 PM »
i noticed a bug, it seems the bot weight that's displayed in menus is incorrect compared to the weight displayed in the botlab

Noted!  I think this might have to do with how we are redoing armor as breakaway plates.  We’ll take a look.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #828 on: August 02, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
I've just checked this out and I must say I'm really liking it despite my laptop being trash. Do you any long term goals for this project?
For example would you make it mobile or console compatible?

We would love to, but we still have several thousand hours of core game development first.

My pipe dream is multiplayer VR with a game controller.  We’ll see though.

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #829 on: August 02, 2019, 07:44:58 PM »

Maybe some drive motors in future?

Idk what pc does he have, but this update, stuff is slow to load

haha classic kix putting comments inside of quotes
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline Camo5

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #830 on: August 02, 2019, 08:37:55 PM »
I'd like to see a planetary geared maytech 6880 brushless motor, many heavyweight bots are using them.

Also, 1806 motor spitboxes for the beetles and 1106 for ants.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #831 on: August 03, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »
A great build. It even fixed the blue tint issue on components with alu/steel
Some gripes however:
-Weapon blur should be removed in my opinion, and you should just keep the weapon model not going transparent
-Spinner weapons do lose colour
-Stuff seems to spin up slow, but that might be 30 kg disc doing its thing
-I can make wheels from cylinder parts. Maybe add a rubber material with more grip?
video of blur issue:
-Time to return to menu is slow. It takes around 30 secs - 5 minutes (i have a high end pc so this is not on my end) It seems that main menu is the problem as it occurs whenever i press exit to main menu
-Game looks blurry whenever i launch it, it also seems to default on 1280X768 res. On 1080p resolution i get black borders that you would get on 16:10 resolutions on side but on virtual 1440p res it looks fine. It reverts to 768p whenever i exit botlab or a match. This is my biggest gripe
-Ampflows are a bit bigger than usual, which results in 5 inch wheels having no ground reach if placed directly on a motor. It also means that we need to resize compactly built robots. Apparently, it resizes when entering test area
Overall great update, can host parsec/10

1. I will work on weapon blur some more.  I was happy to finally figure out the problem with it not being transparency, and I think the rest of the problems can be addressed by tweaking the amount of blur and the speed at which it is activated.  I like the idea of keeping the blur on axes and flippers.  Without blur, axes move so fast that they appear to teleport from one position to another.
2. When you say "spinner weapons lose color" are you referring to tinted components, or painted components?  I might address this with #1 above.
3. I like the wheels ideas!  I put "rubber material" on the Trello list.
4. I suspect that the slow loading times might be due to Debug.Log() statements that I need to strip out.  Let me know if you need a clean build for the tournament.
5. I'm not sure what happened with the size of the AmpFlow motors.  An A40-300 motor should be 4" in diameter.  I put it on the Trello list as something to look into.

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #832 on: August 03, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
i don't know if it's just me, and it's probably intended, but i noticed the hubmotor drum i had would damage itself a LOT on big hits, enough that it can kill itself in 10 hits just from hitting a HW wedge, i also had a case of the drum just breaking off after hitting a rambot a few times

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #833 on: August 03, 2019, 06:04:34 PM »
A great build. It even fixed the blue tint issue on components with alu/steel
Some gripes however:
-Weapon blur should be removed in my opinion, and you should just keep the weapon model not going transparent
-Spinner weapons do lose colour
-Stuff seems to spin up slow, but that might be 30 kg disc doing its thing
-I can make wheels from cylinder parts. Maybe add a rubber material with more grip?
video of blur issue:
-Time to return to menu is slow. It takes around 30 secs - 5 minutes (i have a high end pc so this is not on my end) It seems that main menu is the problem as it occurs whenever i press exit to main menu
-Game looks blurry whenever i launch it, it also seems to default on 1280X768 res. On 1080p resolution i get black borders that you would get on 16:10 resolutions on side but on virtual 1440p res it looks fine. It reverts to 768p whenever i exit botlab or a match. This is my biggest gripe
-Ampflows are a bit bigger than usual, which results in 5 inch wheels having no ground reach if placed directly on a motor. It also means that we need to resize compactly built robots. Apparently, it resizes when entering test area
Overall great update, can host parsec/10

1. I will work on weapon blur some more.  I was happy to finally figure out the problem with it not being transparency, and I think the rest of the problems can be addressed by tweaking the amount of blur and the speed at which it is activated.  I like the idea of keeping the blur on axes and flippers.  Without blur, axes move so fast that they appear to teleport from one position to another.
2. When you say "spinner weapons lose color" are you referring to tinted components, or painted components?  I might address this with #1 above.
3. I like the wheels ideas!  I put "rubber material" on the Trello list.
4. I suspect that the slow loading times might be due to Debug.Log() statements that I need to strip out.  Let me know if you need a clean build for the tournament.
5. I'm not sure what happened with the size of the AmpFlow motors.  An A40-300 motor should be 4" in diameter.  I put it on the Trello list as something to look into.

Too lazy with the typing, heres this

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #834 on: August 03, 2019, 06:13:35 PM »
My 2 wheel drive bots are still just straight up unable to turn. It's been like this since IIRC the bugglebots patch came out. I've tried replacing the drive motors and everything and nothing seems to work. It's as though the chassis has crazy high friction with the floor or something
Can they spin on the spot? Spitfire can't turn while driving forward/backward, but it can spin on the spot okay. Can't remember whether it was like that before the Bugglebots patch though.
My DSL Showcase

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #835 on: August 03, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
Can they spin on the spot? Spitfire can't turn while driving forward/backward, but it can spin on the spot okay. Can't remember whether it was like that before the Bugglebots patch though.
Might work to put a tiny cone on the bottom to reduce the surface area that’s touching the ground.
Accomplishments:

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #836 on: August 04, 2019, 05:01:22 AM »
I can't open the zip file of the new build. How do I install it?

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #837 on: August 04, 2019, 05:08:03 AM »
I can't open the zip file of the new build. How do I install it?
Forget about it. I restarted my computer and it works.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #838 on: August 05, 2019, 08:48:26 PM »
I'm testing a new build now called 06August2019.  It should be ready for upload in the next 24 hours.

It has a few small changes which should make tournaments possible:
  • Bug Fix - Friction coefficient for all materials other than rubber has been reduced.  2WD robots should now drive correctly.  An undesirable side effect is that robots skid a little too far when flipped over.
  • Bug Fix - Weight now displays correctly in the robot workshop and in the robot selection screens.
  • Bug Fix - Fixed the motors changing scale when the battle starts.
  • Added - Added a "Rubber" material in the materials selection screen.
  • Visual Improvement - When a high speed spinner's blur cylinder is activated, it no longer turns off the original spinner's mesh.  This means that the spinner is always visible, but subject to the wagon wheel effect.

Here's the new look:

blurcylinderscreenshot.png
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:12:45 PM by cjbruce »

Offline KingofKings696

• Antweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #839 on: August 05, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »
That looks really good. I missed the early August update until today and for some reason  the new download while saying it's the August version still keeps reverting to the hulu 19 version any idea why?