Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187560 times)

Offline kill343gs

Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »
Hey man, that's an outstanding start you guys have right there. My one gripe is just a visual one, and it's one that it shares with a lot of modern games. The lighting is a bit much. I understand that you want everything to appear real and shiny, but the lighting is almost giving the camera a haziness to it. I'd consider trying a bit less shine.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:36 PM »
Hey man, that's an outstanding start you guys have right there. My one gripe is just a visual one, and it's one that it shares with a lot of modern games. The lighting is a bit much. I understand that you want everything to appear real and shiny, but the lighting is almost giving the camera a haziness to it. I'd consider trying a bit less shine.

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words!  :beer:

To be honest, I'm just learning about visual effects post-processing, and I need to do a lot of experimentation to get things right.  At this point, I am curious to see how much post-processing can be done before it starts slowing down the game to an unacceptable level.  Frame rate is more important than visual effects, and it is good to hear people say that we have too much visual effects, because it is much easier to scale them back than to add more.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
looking very nice so far. great start

keep up the good work
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
Downloaded it for myself, the special FX are definitely giving me some input lag + framerate drops. The 3D model work is coming along nicely though.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
Downloaded it for myself, the special FX are definitely giving me some input lag + framerate drops. The 3D model work is coming along nicely though.

Sounds good.  What kind of a machine are you running on?

I'm curious to see if there is a big difference between running the game with an integrated GPU vs a dedicated card.

The 3D models are all @tashic's work.  He's awesome.  :smile:

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2017, 08:56:54 PM »

I'm curious to see if there is a big difference between running the game with an integrated GPU vs a dedicated card.

I've got this if that means anything:

It's basically a toaster.

I tried the "2P test" mode which ran far smoother than the other game modes. Maybe you could have that be the low graphics setting and the effects used in the other game modes be the high graphics setting.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2017, 09:17:12 PM »

I've got this if that means anything:
(Image removed from quote.)
It's basically a toaster.

I tried the "2P test" mode which ran far smoother than the other game modes. Maybe you could have that be the low graphics setting and the effects used in the other game modes be the high graphics setting.

:laughing

I had forgotten that @tomgsx had thrown in the "2P Test" mode as well.  It has pretty much nothing in the way of lighting and shadows, and is perfect for low-end machines and WebGL.

On my 2013 11" MacBook Air and 2017 Dell Inspiron Laptop with 8 GB of ram I am seeing:

1P - Runs and looks pretty, but there are a lot of frame drops.
2P - Runs smoothly.
2P Test - Runs smoothly.

It is interesting to me that the 2013 MBA and the 2017 Inspiron perform almost identically.  I suspect it is because they are limited by the onboard laptop GPUs.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
what are the controls for the second bot in 2P? both the wsad and arrow keys drive the P1 robot.

also it looks good so far considering it's basically the engine tashic had a few months ago with a couple of additions

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »
Running good on my HD7950 (but then. It is 3gb)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
also it looks good so far considering it's basically the engine tashic had a few months ago with a couple of additions

True!  Progress is slow, but hopefully steady.  We are doing a lot of learning and experimentation right now, which doesn't necessarily show up in the build.

what are the controls for the second bot in 2P? both the wsad and arrow keys drive the P1 robot.

They are still linked to the same robot.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »

Thanks for the info!  I'm hoping that older dedicated GPU cards will be able to handle the max settings.  This will give us more room to play around with particles.

What screen resolution are you running?

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
Some feedback.
I would like to agree with kill and say that the post-processing is way too much. The shine and lens effects are really distracting. I image at some point it should be possible for these to be togglable.
What sort of framerates are you expecting? I'm supposedly getting 25fps on my 980ti in 1080p windowed which seems a bit low.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »
Some feedback.
I would like to agree with kill and say that the post-processing is way too much. The shine and lens effects are really distracting. I image at some point it should be possible for these to be togglable.
What sort of framerates are you expecting? I'm supposedly getting 25fps on my 980ti in 1080p windowed which seems a bit low.

Good to know.  For the next revision I think I will get rid of the "lens dirt" and turn the bloom way down. I'm thinking we can also get rid of the ambient occlusion.  It is a nice effect, but I don't think it really adds that much when the scene is so full of hard edges.  Motion blur is cool too, but I think we have a better way to do motion blur that doesn't require any post-processing.

If you don't mind my asking, in the "2 Player" mode, are you seeing 60 fps?  This scene doesn't have any post-processing at all.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »
Some feedback.

Good to know.  For the next revision I think I will get rid of the "lens dirt" and turn the bloom way down. I'm thinking we can also get rid of the ambient occlusion.  It is a nice effect, but I don't think it really adds that much when the scene is so full of hard edges.  Motion blur is cool too, but I think we have a better way to do motion blur that doesn't require any post-processing.

If you don't mind my asking, in the "2 Player" mode, are you seeing 60 fps?  This scene doesn't have any post-processing at all.
I was puzzled by the low FPS and it turns out that the game isn't putting almost any load on my GPU unless I click out of the game. Then it shoots to over 250fps and 100% GPU load.
In "2 Player" the same 25fps occurs but I get over 500fps when I click out of the window leaving Carbide's weapon spinning.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
I played around with it earlier. It seems the higher graphic options have vsync enabled as it capped the fps to my monitor's refresh rates, but that's not really an issue for a robot combat game.

I was able to consistently hit 240 fps @1080p and 60 fps @4k with a 1080ti

@s_m iirc had a similar issue when I ran it windowed.

:thumbup from me. Can't wait to see where this goes.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2017, 02:59:56 PM »
Here is a new build.  I got rid of the lens dirt, ambient occlusion, and motion blur, and scaled way back on the bloom in the "1 Player" scene.

It should look better, and hopefully perform better:

http://nerdislandstudios.com/robotrumble/windows/RobotRumbleWindowsBuild10-3-17.zip

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »

Newest build is pretty good. I noticed that my framerate improved when I was right in the corners, like directly in the spotlights, and worsened in the middle of the arena.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »

Newest build is pretty good. I noticed that my framerate improved when I was right in the corners, like directly in the spotlights, and worsened in the middle of the arena.

Weird.  I wonder if it has to do with how much of the screen is being replaced every frame...

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2017, 07:10:02 PM »
I will try this game in Friday.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2017, 03:24:12 AM »

Thanks for the info!  I'm hoping that older dedicated GPU cards will be able to handle the max settings.  This will give us more room to play around with particles.

What screen resolution are you running?

640X480
Well.. I have a sh** monitor sooo.. 720p (but i think that it would run above 60fps on 1080p)
Full specs (and a bit of a huuuuge bottleneck):
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 (dual core 2.6 ghz, not OC)
RAM: 4 Gigs DDR2
GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Boost Edition, 3gb vram
(I ordered Phenom X4, and 8 gigs of DDR3, so will see how it works)