Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187717 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #780 on: July 28, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »
Tbh its easier for us to figure and find out bugs

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #781 on: July 28, 2019, 05:16:50 PM »
Agreed.
Accomplishments:

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #782 on: July 29, 2019, 04:39:36 AM »
Agreed.
I think so, too. Better release the build sooner and let us find the bugs

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #783 on: July 29, 2019, 08:25:53 AM »
Agreed.
I think so, too. Better release the build sooner and let us find the bugs
As a fellow game dev, I couldn't agree more. All four of my Ludum Dare entries have had game-breaking bugs that you would have expected me to notice, but I just didn't. Then I wake up the next morning and find five reviews all pointing out the same issue and have to scramble out a patch, just like cjbruce has been having to do.

This is why I'm giving him so much slack, even when each new release ends up being broken: because it's still early-access, and I know how hard it is to make sure your game is relatively bug-free and fully-playable. Especially when your game is a hell of a lot more complex than the tiny 16kB-of-source-code projects I develop for Ludum Dare! As long as the final release is stable and playable, I don't care how many time the alpha versions break.
My DSL Showcase

Offline Ra2Winner999

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • guys terraria 1.4 is out
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #784 on: July 29, 2019, 09:08:59 AM »
I don't want to sound like a dick, but it sounds like you guys would relly benefit from better/more testing before releasing a build. It seems like there's a lot of these bugs that are apparent within a few minutes of gameplay that could be caught before release.

Thank you for sticking with us as we continue to create new bugs... *ahem* features!
danny2462 would be proud
the heavy is dead

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #785 on: July 29, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »
Thanks for all of the comments, guys!

No ability to upload yet, but here's what I've come up with in the last few days on vacation:

1. Spinner impulse is working correctly in a physically realistic way.  Spinners now apply action impulse to other objects, launching them and getting kicked backward in the process.

2. I took a first cut at spinner damage based on kinetic energy.  I haven't done any tuning yet.  If you hit an enemy, they take the damage.  If you hit a wall or the floor, your own spinner takes damage.

3. Spinner on spinner collisions are not handled yet.  I need to think about this.

Anything else before I get back to civilization? :)

PS - This next build will also include our first cut at chassis armor plates.  Visually, at least.

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #786 on: July 29, 2019, 11:22:41 AM »
Broken or not - I still get hyped like a kid on sugar when I read there's a new build hahaha!
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #787 on: July 30, 2019, 04:06:41 AM »
Thanks for all of the comments, guys!

No ability to upload yet, but here's what I've come up with in the last few days on vacation:

1. Spinner impulse is working correctly in a physically realistic way.  Spinners now apply action impulse to other objects, launching them and getting kicked backward in the process.

2. I took a first cut at spinner damage based on kinetic energy.  I haven't done any tuning yet.  If you hit an enemy, they take the damage.  If you hit a wall or the floor, your own spinner takes damage.

3. Spinner on spinner collisions are not handled yet.  I need to think about this.

Anything else before I get back to civilization? :)

PS - This next build will also include our first cut at chassis armor plates.  Visually, at least.
Will both get gamage, if a spinner hits a wedge?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #788 on: July 30, 2019, 06:10:12 AM »
Honestly id say, ditch the material tilt and keep it all the same. Maybe different material characteristics?
Like Poly having no sparks on impact, Titanium having more sparks than other materials, and steel being more shiny

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #789 on: July 30, 2019, 10:01:24 AM »

That’s a great question.  In general I try to start with a good physical model, then simplify the variables so it is easier for everyone to grok.  Here are my thoughts on spinners vs wedges:

A. When a spinner hits a surface, its ability to “dig into” the surface for a “good hit”, causing damage and impulse, is based on the amount of bite x the “directness of the hit”.  A wedge at a glancing angle will make it very difficult to get a good hit.  The wedge will slow/stop the spinner which will then bounce upward.

B. When a spinner is hit with a component of the force parallel to its axis, it can put a really nasty torque on the bearings.  In our school competition, I watched a big heavy steel hammer spinner break all of its own supports upon impact with a well-built wedge.  Everything tilted off-axis upon impact.

The build I’m getting ready for release models A but not B.  Is it enough that a wedge just stops a spinner from rotating?  I dunno.  Lets get the build out and try it.  We can always add damage later.

Also, just to be clear: If the spinner catches the edge of the wedge, it will register as a good hit, sending the robots flying and doing damage.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #790 on: July 30, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
Honestly id say, ditch the material tilt and keep it all the same. Maybe different material characteristics?
Like Poly having no sparks on impact, Titanium having more sparks than other materials, and steel being more shiny

What do you mean by the material tilt?  Are you referring to ignoring the angle of impact?  I would like to keep it in for now.  I think it might add a certain level of strategy to try to catch the edges of your opponents.

We have not yet begun to sparks! :smile:  Once we have a good damage system in place, we absolutely intend to add more sparks than would happen in real life.  Sparks are awesome!

Plastic = no sparks
Aluminum = no sparks
Steel = yellow sparks
Titanium = white sparks

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #791 on: July 30, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »

What do you mean by the material tilt?  Are you referring to ignoring the angle of impact?  I would like to keep it in for now.  I think it might add a certain level of strategy to try to catch the edges of your opponents.

We have not yet begun to sparks! :smile:  Once we have a good damage system in place, we absolutely intend to add more sparks than would happen in real life.  Sparks are awesome!

Plastic = no sparks
Aluminum = no sparks
Steel = yellow sparks
Titanium = white sparks

Oh, rip me, i meant tint... you know, instead of having still darker than alu, alu darker than uhmw, all have one colour, which would be more helpful for some builds where there will be combined materials

also, idk if alu sparks. but dont forget, TI SPARKS A LOT

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #792 on: July 30, 2019, 06:41:48 PM »

That’s a great question.  In general I try to start with a good physical model, then simplify the variables so it is easier for everyone to grok.  Here are my thoughts on spinners vs wedges:

A. When a spinner hits a surface, its ability to “dig into” the surface for a “good hit”, causing damage and impulse, is based on the amount of bite x the “directness of the hit”.  A wedge at a glancing angle will make it very difficult to get a good hit.  The wedge will slow/stop the spinner which will then bounce upward.

B. When a spinner is hit with a component of the force parallel to its axis, it can put a really nasty torque on the bearings.  In our school competition, I watched a big heavy steel hammer spinner break all of its own supports upon impact with a well-built wedge.  Everything tilted off-axis upon impact.

The build I’m getting ready for release models A but not B.  Is it enough that a wedge just stops a spinner from rotating?  I dunno.  Lets get the build out and try it.  We can always add damage later.

Also, just to be clear: If the spinner catches the edge of the wedge, it will register as a good hit, sending the robots flying and doing damage.
I'm looking Forward to it  :claping

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #793 on: August 01, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
Alrighty, back to civilization.  Working on a build that is mostly bug fixes:

1. Blur cylinder collision response should now work correctly in all cases.  When a spinner hits something at high speed, action/reaction impulse should be applied correctly to both the spinner and its target.  Damage is just a placeholder, and will be replaced as we put the new damage system together.

2. I figured out and solved the problem with blur cylinder opacity.  Spinners should look much more believable now.

3. kix and codesilver23, is there anything else that needs to be fixed in order for you guys to run tournaments?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #794 on: August 01, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
Alrighty, back to civilization.  Working on a build that is mostly bug fixes:

1. Blur cylinder collision response should now work correctly in all cases.  When a spinner hits something at high speed, action/reaction impulse should be applied correctly to both the spinner and its target.  Damage is just a placeholder, and will be replaced as we put the new damage system together.

2. I figured out and solved the problem with blur cylinder opacity.  Spinners should look much more believable now.

3. kix and codesilver23, is there anything else that needs to be fixed in order for you guys to run tournaments?

It all seems fine. Just transfer the material tints from UHMW to alu and steel, so we can have pure white steel parts, instead of grayish parts (till paint tool works)

Offline Tashic

« Reply #795 on: August 01, 2019, 12:48:22 PM »
The difference between the materials aren't really color tints, but the difference in the metallic and reflective properties of the material.
Some way to control that for different paint effects could be added as an option as well, as paints IRL aren't really effected by the material underneath, unless the paint is in part transparent.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #796 on: August 01, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »
Agreed.  Once we have some time to look at the painter again, the metalness/smoothness problem will disappear with a good paint job.

For now, you should be able to apply paint to faces.  Once applied, I believe the painted objects should have zero metalness and should not be smooth at all.  I haven’t checked this recently though.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #797 on: August 01, 2019, 04:11:20 PM »
I just put out a bug fix build called RR2-xxxx-01AUGUST2019–Alpha.  I think it is pretty clean, but I was having physics crash problems with high speed spinners earlier today that I can’t seem to replicate in the editor or in the build.  Would you guys mind taking a look before I send out the email announcement that it is up?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #798 on: August 01, 2019, 04:14:56 PM »
I just put out a bug fix build called RR2-xxxx-01AUGUST2019–Alpha.  I think it is pretty clean, but I was having physics crash problems with high speed spinners earlier today that I can’t seem to replicate in the editor or in the build.  Would you guys mind taking a look before I send out the email announcement that it is up?
I have a bot that can replicate crashes, so hey

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #799 on: August 01, 2019, 04:23:47 PM »
I have a bot that can replicate crashes, so hey

Drat!  I’ll take a look.