Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187728 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #740 on: July 22, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
I'm going to have to wait on getting a fix out for a few more days.  I'm on vacation at the moment, and the place we are staying doesn't have wifi.  It turns out I don't have enough cell data to upload the fixes.

My priority for this fix is to make sure that people can run tournaments.  Here's what I have in mind:
1. Make it impossible to break things off other than spinners.
2. Otherwise, how does the damage system feel for now?  It is not at all physically based, but it needs to function well enough for tournaments.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: July 22, 2019, 09:58:37 AM »
A servo motor for heavyweights. It would be really useful, to build lifters and clamps.

It's worth pointing out that this does not exist in reality. Every robot you see is running large gearboxes, geartrains, or chain/belt drives to gear down continuous rotation motors enough to be effective drive, or effective at lifting an opponent.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #742 on: July 22, 2019, 10:12:57 AM »
A servo motor for heavyweights. It would be really useful, to build lifters and clamps.

It's worth pointing out that this does not exist in reality. Every robot you see is running large gearboxes, geartrains, or chain/belt drives to gear down continuous rotation motors enough to be effective drive, or effective at lifting an opponent.
This as much as i know

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #743 on: July 22, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »

Not gonna lie, I was thinking that a cool addition to the game could be gearboxes. Similar to how the Pulleys & Chains currently work, but its a standard box with an axel that can be attached to motors to give them a higher ratio for torque and speed control, and making them flatter and more space conscious than the pulleys.

I must admit though, I absolutely LOVING the current pulley and chain systems! I think they are an amazing aspect that just puts the game even further over any other currently on offer.
The flipper pneumatics are fun aswell, but I do have to agree in regards to the flippers easily breaking. Otherwise - my flipper boys can finally work properly - yay!!

One other bug I've noticed on my game (I haven't seen it mentioned on the thread yet so apologies if it's been bought up elsewhere) but certain 'custom' components seem to go either completely black, gain a huge black outline around them, or both. I'm also experiencing the glitch where some components are getting the white boxes around them in the arena, have a blue tinge to them and look very dull, flat and matte.

Speaking of the arena though, I think what you've done with the lighting effects and introduction before fights is PERFECTION. I would have loved to have somehow incorporated elements like those into my RA2 arenas but the game was never advanced enough to do it properly so this aspect really excites me! (It's the little things lol)
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #744 on: July 22, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
Tbh id like to have white steel part, but currently best i can go is, Blueish-gray

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #745 on: July 22, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »
 If you put green and blue at 0.8, it will make the steel and aluminium gray instead of that annoying light blue color.
Accomplishments:

Offline calgoblin

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: July 22, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »
Music audio. It can be muted, but after entering a fight/botlab, it turns on

Noted cheers I'll take a look at that! I know the botlab trigger is a bit keen currently...

Speaking of the arena though, I think what you've done with the lighting effects and introduction before fights is PERFECTION. I would have loved to have somehow incorporated elements like those into my RA2 arenas but the game was never advanced enough to do it properly so this aspect really excites me! (It's the little things lol)

Glad you like! It may be little but it adds a bit of build up to each fight. I want to give each arena a unique intro, so ideas are welcome!

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #747 on: July 23, 2019, 12:15:19 AM »
I have a Question: Is the announcer in the Bugglebots arena actually Bob ?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #748 on: July 23, 2019, 01:49:51 PM »
Epic speeds here

Also seems that if i spin the weapon downwards, it will act like its spinning upwards which is weird. Will post a vid when i have time

Offline calgoblin

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #749 on: July 23, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »
I have a Question: Is the announcer in the Bugglebots arena actually Bob ?

I don't think so no. I'm not sure who they got to do the voice, but our version of the Bugglebots arena has the same audio as the real one which is pretty cool!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #750 on: July 23, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
Epic speeds here
(Image removed from quote.)
Also seems that if i spin the weapon downwards, it will act like its spinning upwards which is weird. Will post a vid when i have time

I believe that might be the “wagon wheel effect” that occurs when the wheel is rotating faster than the screen refresh rate.  That’s why I made the blur cylinder.  The original mesh should fade out while the blur cylinder fades in, but I’m having trouble getting the shader to work correctly.  I haven’t forgotten about it, its just that I didn’t want the visuals to hold up the mechanics of how the blur cylinder works.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #751 on: July 23, 2019, 10:14:14 PM »
Epic speeds here

Wait a sec.  Were you referring to the impulse being in the wrong direction?  That shouldn’t happen.  If so, its a bug.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #752 on: July 23, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »
Epic speeds here

Also, does anyone have featherweight spinner data that I can use to calibrate the air drag model for featherweight spinners?

Same question for beetleweights.  Does anyone have real life beetleweight spinner data?

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #753 on: July 24, 2019, 07:21:55 AM »
Also, does anyone have featherweight spinner data that I can use to calibrate the air drag model for featherweight spinners?

Same question for beetleweights.  Does anyone have real life beetleweight spinner data?

If you don't mind me suggesting, one good place to go for this would be the Fighting Robot Association (FRA) Forums. If you're a UK/European roboteer it's basically where you need to go to stay in the loop of anything and everything.

Apologies if you have already tried this place/had it suggested, but I am certain there would be some good, generous roboteers on there who would be able to help you out!
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #754 on: July 24, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »
I built a hammer - bot. In the test Arena it's fine, but in battle it's bouncing all over the place.

hammer.png

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #755 on: July 24, 2019, 09:37:41 AM »
I built a hammer - bot. In the test Arena it's fine, but in battle it's bouncing all over the place.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Weird.  It should behave the same.   Does it start bouncing immediately, or after you fire the weapon?  Also, what kind of motor are you using to drive the weapon?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #756 on: July 24, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »
Okay, so apparently, UHMW and/or Poly stuff breaks graphics. Thats why gulden gets that effect (and other people incl arcane and me)

Also materials like steel and aluminium have a blue-ish tint

I don't know why it took me this long to ask, but:

Is the problem with the weird white glow around UHMW and polycarbonate a new problem with the July 19th build, or has it existed all along? 

In the July 19th build, I made very few changes that would have affected how materials are displayed.  If it is new problem, that is great because I have a pretty good idea of where to look to fix the problem.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #757 on: July 24, 2019, 09:54:44 AM »
Okay, so apparently, UHMW and/or Poly stuff breaks graphics. Thats why gulden gets that effect (and other people incl arcane and me)

Also materials like steel and aluminium have a blue-ish tint

I don't know why it took me this long to ask, but:

Is the problem with the weird white glow around UHMW and polycarbonate a new problem with the July 19th build, or has it existed all along? 

In the July 19th build, I made very few changes that would have affected how materials are displayed.  If it is new problem, that is great because I have a pretty good idea of where to look to fix the problem.

It's only a result of the new build
Things I did & done

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #758 on: July 24, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »
I sucked it up and used the last of my cell phone data to upload an "unbreakable flipper" build on itch.io.

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

RR2-Windows-23July2019-Alpha-Build.zip
RR2-Mac-23July2019-Alpha-Build.app.zip

Let me know if this does the trick!  If not, I apologize.  I'm out of cell phone data, and will need to wait for a few weeks until I return to civilization and high speed internet service.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #759 on: July 24, 2019, 09:58:20 AM »
It's only a result of the new build

That's great news!  It gives me a pretty good idea of where to look.  I have some bugs with this build that are manifesting differently on my laptop, but I think might have the same root cause and/or the same fix.