Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187639 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #340 on: November 21, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
what do you save images as in order to use them on bots in Robot Rumble?

Assuming I can get it working, iimported textures will be .png files with transparency.  I’m not sure about the resolution yet, but I am eyeing 2048x2048.  Right now I am working on just albedo (diffuse color + transparency), but I hope to eventually get the rest of the maps (normal, metal/roughness, ambient occlusion, height) working as well. 

Assuming we can go all the way with importing .obj files along with a complete set of textures, this means you should be able to put screws, bolts, cutouts, scratches, dirt, and pretty much anything else into a model in Blender/Substance Painter, then import all of the parts and assemble them in the BotLab.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
Can you import RA2 designs into Robot Rumble as well as custom textures and decals?
no, 2 different games

We haven't really thought about doing that, and to be honest, it would be a lot of work to try to write and troubleshoot a custom converter that would probably delay RR2 quite a bit.

That being said, I'm hoping you guys like the new BotLab.  Both @tashic and I are working on the BotLab right now, with the following in the works:

1. Texture painting: selecting and painting custom decals on faces.
2. Texture saving and loading: exporting UV texture maps for editing in an external program (Photoshop/GIMP), then re-importing the into the game.
3. Getting BotLab robots fighting each other.

Once these are done, I am going to attempt to tackle importing custom .obj files as shapes.  If we can figure out how to do this, then users should have the ability to create a 3D model and UV map it in Maya/Blender/3DS Max/Modo/ZBrush/whatever, texture it in Substance Painter/Photoshop/GIMP/whatever, then bring it into the game as a custom shape.  If we can get this working, it should be possible for users to create their own movie-quality robots that they can then share with other users via an .RR2Bot file.

I know that this doesn't address the original desire to import old robots, but I hope it will make for some MUCH nicer looking new ones.
If you put out some documentation on how RR2's bot files are structured, I'm sure someone here could cook up a converter on their own at some point, if there was any demand for such a thing. Just a thought.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »
Can you import RA2 designs into Robot Rumble as well as custom textures and decals?
no, 2 different games

We haven't really thought about doing that, and to be honest, it would be a lot of work to try to write and troubleshoot a custom converter that would probably delay RR2 quite a bit.

That being said, I'm hoping you guys like the new BotLab.  Both @tashic and I are working on the BotLab right now, with the following in the works:

1. Texture painting: selecting and painting custom decals on faces.
2. Texture saving and loading: exporting UV texture maps for editing in an external program (Photoshop/GIMP), then re-importing the into the game.
3. Getting BotLab robots fighting each other.

Once these are done, I am going to attempt to tackle importing custom .obj files as shapes.  If we can figure out how to do this, then users should have the ability to create a 3D model and UV map it in Maya/Blender/3DS Max/Modo/ZBrush/whatever, texture it in Substance Painter/Photoshop/GIMP/whatever, then bring it into the game as a custom shape.  If we can get this working, it should be possible for users to create their own movie-quality robots that they can then share with other users via an .RR2Bot file.

I know that this doesn't address the original desire to import old robots, but I hope it will make for some MUCH nicer looking new ones.
If you put out some documentation on how RR2's bot files are structured, I'm sure someone here could cook up a converter on their own at some point, if there was any demand for such a thing. Just a thought.

I like that idea.  We don't have everything figured out yet -- we will need to figure out how textures are going to fit into the file.  Probably as Base64 encoded PNG files into the JSON, but we don't know where yet.

I think we are going to keep everything wrapped up as a single JSON file, rather than an entire zipped folder full of text and image files.  It should make it nicer for sharing.

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
Robot Rumble 2.0 progress update...
« Reply #343 on: December 10, 2018, 07:29:41 PM »
I tried Robot Rumble 2.0, and I got some results...

It glitched my computer to death. Even with simple bots. :(:(:(:(:(

I don't know about you, but this game's a hazard...to my computer at least. I'll try it on a different one, but until then, utter disappointment.

This should really be under Sight News and Feedback, but an error occurred. Sorry.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: December 10, 2018, 07:48:06 PM »
If this is a bump- sorry.

I tried Robot Rumble 2.0. It literally killed my computer with glitches. Can that be fixed, please?

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #345 on: December 11, 2018, 12:44:41 AM »
They can't really fix the glitches if you don't tell them what the glitches are. What did you do that caused it to glitch, and what was the glitch?
My DSL Showcase

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: December 11, 2018, 01:24:53 AM »
I tried Robot Rumble 2.0, and I got some results...

It glitched my computer to death. Even with simple bots. :(:(:(:(:(

I don't know about you, but this game's a hazard...to my computer at least. I'll try it on a different one, but until then, utter disappointment.

This should really be under Sight News and Feedback, but an error occurred. Sorry.
Dont have a sh** computer

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: December 11, 2018, 05:30:46 AM »
If this is a bump- sorry.

I tried Robot Rumble 2.0. It literally killed my computer with glitches. Can that be fixed, please?

Sorry to hear that!

What kind of a computer are using to run the game?

Where are the glitches occurring?  Is this just in battle, or did the glitches occur when the game was first loaded?

We are trying to target Windows and Mac laptops as well as desktops, and if it doesn't run at all we definitely need to take a look at it to see what we can do.  Right now my lower limit is an early 2014 MacBook Air at 1366 x 768 resolution with a dual-core i5 and integrated GPU.  On this machine on its highest resolution, combat runs at 35 fps.  The game chugs on a 2016 15" MacBook Pro at 2880 x 1800, but when I drop the resolution down to half, it holds a steady 60 fps.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: December 11, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
In battles and builds. It hardly even works on my computer, but maybe my computer is just plain awful.
I can't even put together a single bot!

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #349 on: December 11, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »
I tried to send the link to this forum. What happened? it had a VIRUS I had to remove!

Offline Tashic

« Reply #350 on: December 11, 2018, 08:54:59 AM »
What exactly does the game do to your computer? And when doing what?
It will help us fix things if you can be more specific.

Also what link are you talking about?

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: December 11, 2018, 08:59:49 AM »

...So I downloaded the gamy to my tiny laptop, and every time I try to fight, or build a bot, it glitches!
Is there a way to fix the glitching?

Also, I tried to send the download of RR2 to GTM, and it reported a virus. That could be linked to the glitching.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: December 11, 2018, 09:25:41 AM »

...So I downloaded the gamy to my tiny laptop, and every time I try to fight, or build a bot, it glitches!

Also, I tried to send the download of RR2 to GTM, and it reported a virus. That could be linked to the glitching.
This has to be bait haha, whose multi is this
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: December 11, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »

This has to be bait haha, whose multi is this

Nope. No bait.

Offline Tashic

« Reply #354 on: December 11, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
Did the game freeze when starting a battle/going to the botlab or does it start and mess with things (physics stuff? model/texture weirdness?)?

Did your antivirus report the virus or whatever you used to upload the download did?
If the virus was in the game the antivirus should have found it before you could open the game in the first place.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #355 on: December 11, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »
Did the game freeze when starting a battle/going to the botlab or does it start and mess with things (physics stuff? model/texture weirdness?)?

Did your antivirus report the virus or whatever you used to upload the download did?
If the virus was in the game the antivirus should have found it before you could open the game in the first place.

Game glitches like there's too much movement. Other than that, graphics are GREAT!

AntiVirus reported that it found a virus before the second time I played it. I put it to work removing it, and it was removed from my game.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #356 on: December 11, 2018, 12:57:15 PM »

Game glitches like there's too much movement. Other than that, graphics are GREAT!

AntiVirus reported that it found a virus before the second time I played it. I put it to work removing it, and it was removed from my game.

The glitchiness sounds like a low frame rate.  Have you tried going into settings during combat and reducing the screen resolution?  If this does the trick, then your GPU is limited by its fill rate.  This is pretty common on laptops.  If it doesn't affect the frame rate at all, then it might be a CPU speed problem.

In either case, would you mind letting us know what computer you are using to run the game?  It is helpful for benchmarking.

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: December 11, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »
Screen resolution is in settings, right?

Anyway, the computer I'm trying RR on is a small Google laptop.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #358 on: December 11, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
Screen resolution is in settings, right?

Anyway, the computer I'm trying RR on is a small Google laptop.

That's correct.

Interesting -- I wasn't aware that Google made laptops capable of running Windows or MacOS.  Can you find the specs on the machine, or the make and model number so we can look them up?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #359 on: December 11, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
Only google laptops i know that exist are Chromebooks and Pixelbook.
They have Google OS and it isnt compatible with any windows program