Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187697 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #2340 on: June 19, 2020, 10:25:16 AM »
Hey yall!

Time for a minor progress reveal, an addition to the game that is welcome.

Connecting Batteries in Series and Parallel has been added.
What does this do? If you connect multiple batteries in series, the voltage of the motors will rise (sum of the voltages of the connected batteries)
Here is an example of an A40-300 connected to 2 batteries in series, running at 96.2V (48.1V+48.1V)

If you connect multiple batteries into parallel, the voltage of the motors will be same.Here is an example of an A28-400 running with 2 batteries connected in parallel, running at 37V

This can be tested on the bleeding edge build right away, but it will be released in a stable build too.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2341 on: June 19, 2020, 12:14:42 PM »
Developer’s comment:

Overvolting a motor rated for 24 volts all the way to 96 volts is extremely dangerous and not recommended!  Even though it might be okay in the game (for now), please try to keep the AmpFlows to 48 volts or below.  A lot of competitors have learned the hard way that AmpFlows can fry themselves when run this high.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2342 on: June 19, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »
Developer’s comment:

Overvolting a motor rated for 24 volts all the way to 96 volts is extremely dangerous and not recommended!  Even though it might be okay in the game (for now), please try to keep the AmpFlows to 48 volts or below.  A lot of competitors have learned the hard way that AmpFlows can fry themselves when run this high.

That is true indeed. I was just showing what can be done

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2343 on: June 19, 2020, 02:13:37 PM »
Developer’s comment:

I’m going to limit this when I get a chance.  We don’t have a system in place for that yet though.  Maybe if you go above 48 volts the motor melts immediately...

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2344 on: June 19, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »
Developer’s comment:

I’m going to limit this when I get a chance.  We don’t have a system in place for that yet though.  Maybe if you go above 48 volts the motor melts immediately...
Tbh, i would keep it as is, as atm, they are kinda saving the flippers. More voltage/more torque for the motor. Atleast keep it till the pneumatics get added

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2345 on: June 19, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
True.  I think if you could go to 96 volts on a motor this size you might see a lot fewer pneumatic systems IRL. Motors are just easier.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2346 on: June 19, 2020, 04:51:51 PM »
True.  I think if you could go to 96 volts on a motor this size you might see a lot fewer pneumatic systems IRL. Motors are just easier.
They truly are. We just need to figure out the jankines when on gearing higher than 10:0.1

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The 05July2020 Alpha Builds are up!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

[Short Summary of Updates in the July 5th Build]

NOTE - If you want to see the full gory detail of all of the changes, discussions, and hacks, check out #bug-reports and #feedback-and-ideas on our official Discord server.

[Performance Improvement] Colliders on all attachments are now combined into a single mesh collider.  This should substantially improve physics performance for complicated robots.

[Added] It is now possible to attach batteries in series to create arbitrarily high voltages.  Please note that voltage limits will be enforced in future builds!  Unlimited voltage will exist until we have pneumatics ready.

[Added] LOTS of new components.

[Added] Saw Bots vs High Impact Spinners - The game can now analyze a spinner to determine the location of its "teeth".  If you design a weapon with lots of teeth it will act as a saw bot and grind away when it hits.  If you design it with few teeth it will act as an impacting weapon, delivering a lot of energy in a single blow.

[Changed] The restriction on spinner speed has been removed.  The game now compensates for whatever physics tick rate you have set and computes the correct spinner response.  15,000 RPM antweight spinners should now be possible.

A FEW NOTES ABOUT THIS BUILD

If you are struggling to get your motor electronics working, please head on over to Discord.  We have an active community there with a channel dedicated to #rr2-support:

https://discord.gg/tXwYay9

Damage System - The damage system is disabled.

AI - Still mostly broken.  For the most part all the AI does is turn on its weapon at the beginning of the match and keep driving at the nearest opponent.  Once the new damage system has been straightened out we will redesign AI around the new approach to damage.

Once the game is mature enough we will be replacing all of the house robots with ones built in the robot workshop.  Any bugs that exist in the current robots will be completely replaced by entirely new bugs at that time.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2348 on: July 25, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
A little sneak peek of what is to come

Flipper Piston Systems: 30, 60, 90, and 120 mm, Connected Piston System, Pneumatic Piston (linear actuation) and 2 x Rack and Pinion Systems in the back.

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #2349 on: July 25, 2020, 11:20:13 PM »
those look dope
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2350 on: September 02, 2020, 06:49:53 PM »
Next stable build might include something that is fire (boo, bad pun)

Shout-out to this forum that completely doesnt work, and it wont accept my attachment

Link to the Flamethrowers gif: https://imgur.com/8TZpYCx

There is also a turntable ingame (Just like in Robot Wars reboot), but im not even gonna bother
Flames - Imgur.gif
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:23:59 PM by kix »

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2351 on: September 02, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »
since kix doesnt know how to image tags

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2352 on: September 03, 2020, 04:09:56 AM »
since kix doesnt know how to image tags
(Image removed from quote.)
Nah, i know, i just get the broken pic icon

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development [New build up]
« Reply #2353 on: September 23, 2020, 04:02:27 PM »
The 23rd September Build is up!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

Here is a "short" list of added stuff, for the full changelog list from previous Bleeding Edge builds, join the discord group:
- UI has been revamped.
- Botlab look has been overhauled
- Turntable has been added! now you can do a full 360 of your bot and gif it
- Test Arena has been revamped. OOTA zones are added
- Pneumatics have been added, ranging from pistons themselves (with a rather nice variety), to Gas tanks and Buffer tanks, as shown few posts up
- Gas usage has been implemented.
- Fixed an issue where the spinner would grind the floor instead of properly hitting it
- Servo has been overhauled
- Thermals have been overhauled
- The dreaded resolution issue has been fixed
- FPS lock has been added, based on your monitor's refresh rates
- MANY more additions and performance improvements

A FEW NOTES ABOUT THIS BUILD

If you are struggling to get your motor electronics working, please head on over to Discord.  We have an active community there with a channel dedicated to #rr2-support:
https://discord.gg/tXwYay9

This build is now "physics complete".  You should be able to model most combat robots you see in real life in the game: bar spinners, drum spinners, pneumatic flippers, servo-driven lifters and grabbers, wedges, and rambots. 
NOTE - The game doesn't support things like tank treads, omnidirectional wheels, or 4-bar linkages.  We might consider adding them later, but our priority is to finish the game first.  You can simulate many of these motions by combining existing mechanisms in the game.
Damage System - The damage system is disabled.  Damage and component breakage will be the focus of the next stable build.
AI - Still mostly broken.  For the most part all the AI does is turn on its weapon at the beginning of the match and keep driving at the nearest opponent.  Once the new damage system has been straightened out we will redesign AI around the new approach to damage.
Once the game is mature enough we will be replacing all of the house robots with ones built in the robot workshop.  Any bugs that exist in the current robots will be completely replaced by entirely new bugs at that time.

Offline Sage

• RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2354 on: August 31, 2021, 11:31:47 AM »
No updates since a year ago? Lame
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2355 on: August 31, 2021, 12:13:31 PM »
No updates since a year ago? Lame
No mr. Sage man, you see we dont post on gtm anymore, we have transferred to discord as it is waaay better.

Game is going well, we got damage up and running again, we are working on welding, and many more things

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #2356 on: August 31, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »
Yeah, latest builds are now being put on https://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

Latest "stable" build is May 28th where things can catch on fire and batteries drain and stuff. 
July 15th introduces welding (aka components now stick together regardless of what they're parented too).  It's in its infancy so I don't recommend it yet.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 07:41:31 PM by Gulden »
I have several opinions.

Offline PixelCrunchX

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2357 on: October 08, 2021, 06:45:59 PM »
Looking forward to this! Hopefully it'll turn out better than Robot Arena 3!

(OOPS DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD)
Yaaaah. It's Rewind Time.

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #2358 on: December 15, 2021, 05:04:14 PM »
Since no one's been posting them, this is the most recent update. 

[Update] We updated to Unity 2020.3.21! This should come with better performance and might fix our mac struggles! It might also introduce some new bugs...
[Bugfix] Changed collision detection on wheels to prevent snipes through the armor
[Bugfix] Fixed a bunch of weight scaling issues (sounds, pneumas etc.)
[Bugfix] Fixed a major part of Groaties/floaties. Stuff that gets broken off can still clip but should be much less dramatic
[Bugfix] Fixed AI, it now runs at half CPU but actually works this time
[Change] New take at spinner physics, involved an epic amount of changes
[Change] Changed mass scaling to be 1:1 (aka 10 times heavier then before). This makes spinners behave better and gives bot a much heavier feel.

Known issues:
- Highlighting in botlab is borked
- Hinged bits/rotating body groups are mostly invincible, welding doesnt work correctly on them yet

Windows: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LScURdGKPRKSirVi3iGGXK23n-tmCvv9/view

Mac: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LzzzQL15tsib_y8Cuey8D1HcGm7QqbE-/view
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 08:42:47 PM by Gulden »
I have several opinions.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2359 on: December 24, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »
I still have to check out the recent updates. Haven't played this for at least 2 years