Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187547 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #2320 on: June 04, 2020, 08:27:42 AM »
I think the crashing bug is squashed!  Here is the latest (04June2020) bleeding edge build:

http://www.robot-rumble.com/bleedingedgebuilds/

[Bug Fix] Fixed crashing bug for spinning weapons caused by an undefined moment of inertia.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2321 on: June 04, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »
Now i wonder if we could keep the collision but just make the parts have a hole. Ik roblox has that feature iirc

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2322 on: June 04, 2020, 09:21:01 AM »
Now i wonder if we could keep the collision but just make the parts have a hole. Ik roblox has that feature iirc

The hard part is creating creating the correct visual display for the mesh.  Once that is done creating a collision shape is done with a single line of code.

EDIT:  For a physics hole it requires more work, but the hardest part is still creating the visual mesh.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2323 on: June 04, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
kix, I forgot to ask, but does the new botlab shader keep your GPU cooler?  The new shader should be slightly more efficient.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2324 on: June 04, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
kix, I forgot to ask, but does the new botlab shader keep your GPU cooler?  The new shader should be slightly more efficient.
Tbh, kupa limited the game to 60fps, so my gpu already got cooler back 2 builds ago

Also an idea in controls section. God editing incoming:
Yeah ok this forum is ass and because i cant insert attachment at all i have to upload it to youtube

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2325 on: June 04, 2020, 06:34:11 PM »
We just heard back from the community college.  They won’t be ready for in person tournaments until October.  That means we have some time.  We will put out this as a stable release tomorrow morning, then take our time getting damage, pneumatics, and crushers working properly.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2326 on: June 05, 2020, 05:35:30 AM »
We just heard back from the community college.  They won’t be ready for in person tournaments until October.  That means we have some time.  We will put out this as a stable release tomorrow morning, then take our time getting damage, pneumatics, and crushers working properly.
That gives you more time to prepare as people say.

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2327 on: June 05, 2020, 07:04:20 AM »
Something I'm curious about: As we already have overheating for bots to disable their own motors, would self-damage be as high as before or maybe just get removed and replaced by overheating?
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2328 on: June 05, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »
Something I'm curious about: As we already have overheating for bots to disable their own motors, would self-damage be as high as before or maybe just get removed and replaced by overheating?

I envisioned physical damage and damage due to heat to be two separate things. 

1. Overheating is completely avoidable if you are willing to play it safe with battery voltage.  The AmpFlows can run all day at the 24 volts for which they are rated.  Maybe we need to include rated voltage in the motor description so people have an idea of what a "safe" voltage is?

2. Over the next few weeks I am going to take what we have learned about damage in previous builds and rewriting damage from scratch.  Is your fear that self damage has been too much of a factor in previous builds?

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2329 on: June 05, 2020, 08:36:15 AM »

1. Overheating is completely avoidable if you are willing to play it safe with battery voltage.  The AmpFlows can run all day at the 24 volts for which they are rated.  Maybe we need to include rated voltage in the motor description so people have an idea of what a "safe" voltage is?

I think we need this. On the other side, driving motors are not a problem with overheating (at least not for me now). The problem is always with spinner motors like etek or pancake etek. My pancake etek for disc spinners run at 40 volts and 2200 rpm but still overheat within 1 minute fight.

2. Over the next few weeks I am going to take what we have learned about damage in previous builds and rewriting damage from scratch.  Is your fear that self damage has been too much of a factor in previous builds?

Ya we think the self-damage in previous builds was already a bit too high, and now we also have overheating, so yea, it should be lower.
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2330 on: June 05, 2020, 08:55:21 AM »
I thought that eteks were prone to overheating too easy. But then i was running them at 48v (although iirc they can easily take 48v)

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2331 on: June 05, 2020, 09:06:35 AM »
I thought that eteks were prone to overheating too easy. But then i was running them at 48v (although iirc they can easily take 48v)
But shouldn't your headbanging verts survive less time?
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2332 on: June 05, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
I am using brushless motors for verts, and unlike brushed they can take higher voltages easily afaik

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2333 on: June 05, 2020, 11:42:44 AM »
The 05June2020 Alpha Builds are up!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

Nothing new from the bleeding edge builds that we have previously discussed in the past two weeks.  The big change from the last Alpha Build is that electrical systems are now a thing.  You have to include the following to get a robot to work:

- A receiver.  Each channel of the receiver must be set to the appropriate type of control from your radio transmitter.  Left Drive, Right Drive, Single Throw Toggle, etc.
- At least one battery.  The battery voltage you pick is important.  If you choose too low of a voltage, your robot will be sluggish.  If you choose too high of a voltage, your motors will overheat and burn out.
- If you have a weapon, you will need either a second battery (usually at a higher voltage) or a battery hub (to save weight).  This hub will send power to your drive ESC (usually a 2x60 Amp ESC) and to your weapon ESC (either another brushed ESC or a brushless ESC, depending on the motor you choose).
- You will need enough ESCs to handle all of your motors.  ESCs are either single-channel or 2-channel.
- Motors.  Most robots nowadays use brushed ESCs for drive, but it is up to you.  Lighter motors heat up (and cool down) more quickly

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2334 on: June 05, 2020, 11:44:30 AM »
I am using brushless motors for verts, and unlike brushed they can take higher voltages easily afaik

The brushless motors have current limits. This keeps them a lot cooler, but you have to gear them down to keep spinup time short.

Kix, what voltage/gear ratio are you using for brushless?

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2335 on: June 05, 2020, 11:50:42 AM »

The brushless motors have current limits. This keeps them a lot cooler, but you have to gear them down to keep spinup time short.

Kix, what voltage/gear ratio are you using for brushless?
Ngl gearings don't affect spinup time that much on brushless. On the contrary I think brushless should be geared up to have more tip speed due to its insane cooling ability yet eteks should be geared down to keep away from overheating.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:09:06 PM by min440303 »
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2336 on: June 07, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »
It's amazing how far this has come. My guess is that it's still to hard for me to build anything in this but it looks great. Keep up the good work guys!

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2337 on: June 07, 2020, 08:13:32 AM »
Hey all!
Robot Rumble 2 has now an official server!
https://discord.gg/tXwYay9

Come and say hi!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2338 on: June 07, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »
It's amazing how far this has come. My guess is that it's still to hard for me to build anything in this but it looks great. Keep up the good work guys!

Thank you!  We’re proud of it, but we still have a looong way to go before it is ready for commercial release.  In the meantime it is crazy cool to see people getting excited about it!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2339 on: June 08, 2020, 06:08:01 AM »
Phew!

Thanks for that kix!

From here on out, the most active discussions will be on the Official RR2 Discord Server.  I'm still planning to post occasionally here, but if you want the latest scoop head on over to the Discord.  All the cool kids (and older people too!) are doing it!

Official RR2 Discord Server:

https://discord.gg/tXwYay9