Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 191657 times)

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #2120 on: March 10, 2020, 06:13:07 AM »
Aftershock has a not that balanced disc, so it may not spin up to full speed. Also Equator is flipper, and the piston doesn't work either. You can check over it.
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2121 on: March 10, 2020, 06:25:41 AM »
Ya here is the flipper.

As i said on discord. The new features are nice and all, but stuff being broken is what it tiring me, and as much as i have spent hours in the game, im just losing interest

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2122 on: March 10, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
I'm really sorry about the frustration level.  I'm doing my best to get physics to a good place.  I know you guys are putting a ton of time into the game.  You guys are the heroes of this whole endeavor.

Thank you.

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #2123 on: March 10, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
I’d recommend changing 1 thing at a time. If you don’t like the physics, only work on that for the next build. If you want new parts, work on those in a different build. When you put a sh** ton of stuff into one build, the game becomes pretty much unplayable, or at least has some frustrating glitches. I understand that you want to develop the game as much as possible, but at least make sure that you’re posting stable builds on itch.io. Anything untested should be bleeding edge.
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2124 on: March 10, 2020, 09:49:24 AM »
ju
I’d recommend changing 1 thing at a time. If you don’t like the physics, only work on that for the next build. If you want new parts, work on those in a different build. When you put a sh** ton of stuff into one build, the game becomes pretty much unplayable, or at least has some frustrating glitches. I understand that you want to develop the game as much as possible, but at least make sure that you’re posting stable builds on itch.io. Anything untested should be bleeding edge.

Maybe even private testers

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2125 on: March 10, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
Roger.

Either physics changes or content changes, but not both.

The problem is that sometimes new content brings new physics.  This is the case with brushless motors.  It will also be the case with batteries, pneumatics, etc.

The best solution is going to probably involve lots of very small bleeding edge builds.

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #2126 on: March 10, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
Would it be possible to go back to the Feb 16 build and then work from that? It might be easier, considering the current build has so many issues. Also, if you’re planning on doing super small bleeding edge builds, maybe take Kix’s idea and get a small team of private testers to help.
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2127 on: March 10, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
Roger.

Either physics changes or content changes, but not both.

The problem is that sometimes new content brings new physics.  This is the case with brushless motors.  It will also be the case with batteries, pneumatics, etc.

The best solution is going to probably involve lots of very small bleeding edge builds.
Pretty much

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2128 on: March 10, 2020, 10:59:01 AM »
Would it be possible to go back to the Feb 16 build and then work from that? It might be easier, considering the current build has so many issues. Also, if you’re planning on doing super small bleeding edge builds, maybe take Kix’s idea and get a small team of private testers to help.

Scrapping the thousands of small changes we have made since February 16th isn't something I'm comfortable with.

I think the better course of action is to very clearly define what we don't like about the current state.  I suspect that there are probably less than 10 things that need to be addressed.  Fix them.  Move on.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2129 on: March 10, 2020, 11:11:01 AM »
You're acting so entitled Kix, jesus christ. Show some respect.

Of course fixing the physics is a top priority, however I would like to see an Action Cam in the game. The lack of one as it is right now is one of the more jarring and annoying aspects of moving from RA2 to RR2 for me. The python code for RA2's implementation is in this pastebin if that's of any use. Keep working at it champ, and please don't be disheartened by the less than productive comments from certain community members.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2130 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:01 AM »

Scrapping the thousands of small changes we have made since February 16th isn't something I'm comfortable with.

I think the better course of action is to very clearly define what we don't like about the current state.  I suspect that there are probably less than 10 things that need to be addressed.  Fix them.  Move on.
Honestly there arent many issues to be fixed at all, its just that the few issues are pretty large ones and will need some rework.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2131 on: March 10, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »
No worries guys.  The criticism is welcome, and I really do appreciate the feedback that everyone is giving. 

This is a really tight spot in the development because we have lots of new content with a physics system that needs to be tuned.  Some of the time that means dialing back and breaking things that worked previously.

Criticism is a super-important part of this process.  You guys are on the cutting edge, and we are going to have to iterate the heck out of this to get it right.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2132 on: March 10, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
I put in a "flip robot" button for the Robot Workshop test cage.  It should help when we want to test self-righting systems.

In particular, I have been testing it out with min's Aftershock rep with the TP100 motor.  I have found that Aftershock is not capable of self-righting unless the weapon is already spinning when it flips over.

Does anyone know if this is accurate to the real robot?   Can Aftershock self-right from a cold start?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2133 on: March 10, 2020, 02:06:46 PM »
I put in a "flip robot" button for the Robot Workshop test cage.  It should help when we want to test self-righting systems.

In particular, I have been testing it out with min's Aftershock rep with the TP100 motor.  I have found that Aftershock is not capable of self-righting unless the weapon is already spinning when it flips over.

Does anyone know if this is accurate to the real robot?   Can Aftershock self-right from a cold start?
Aftershock is not capable of self righting from a cold start. However once it hits the floor it fully stops. Its like the disc has no mass

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2134 on: March 10, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »

Aftershock is not capable of self righting from a cold start. However once it hits the floor it fully stops. Its like the disc has no mass

My hand calculations indicate that Aftershock's motor should need about 10x more torque than the TP100 is capable of producing to self-right from a cold start.  This matches what I see in the game.

My hand calculations also indicate that if Aftershock has enough angular momentum (about 200 kg * m^2 / s^2) it should be able to bounce once to a height of 15 cm, then bounce again and flip itself over.  In the fight between Aftershock and Eruption, Aftershock used tiny little hits to get itself back upright again:

The fight starts around 28:00. 

I think kix is correct.  It isn't a matter of increasing the motor torque.  Rather, the correct approach looks to be not completely killing the rotation on each hit, even on the so-called "good hits".  There is too much blur in the video to measure precisely how much speed is lost, but I might be able to figure it out based on how high Aftershock hops when its spinner hits the ground at 28:05.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2135 on: March 10, 2020, 02:42:46 PM »

My hand calculations indicate that Aftershock's motor should need about 10x more torque than the TP100 is capable of producing to self-right from a cold start.  This matches what I see in the game.

My hand calculations also indicate that if Aftershock has enough angular momentum (about 200 kg * m^2 / s^2) it should be able to bounce once to a height of 15 cm, then bounce again and flip itself over.  In the fight between Aftershock and Eruption, Aftershock used tiny little hits to get itself back upright again:

The fight starts around 28:00. 

I think kix is correct.  It isn't a matter of increasing the motor torque.  Rather, the correct approach looks to be not completely killing the rotation on each hit, even on the so-called "good hits".  There is too much blur in the video to measure precisely how much speed is lost, but I might be able to figure it out based on how high Aftershock hops when its spinner hits the ground at 28:05.

Seeing that vid, i think that there is prolly 250-500rpm loss.
Might have a better vid of a VS bouncing off

Ok this might be a good vid where Deathroll span at approx half of the rpm before bouncing (maybe even a third). The bot's tip rpm is 5500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3OdFQt1_JY?t=125
Play the vid from 2:05 to see the bouncing

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2136 on: March 10, 2020, 03:46:09 PM »
Building with a few changes now.  I'm going to try to get a bleeding edge build out tonight with the following changes:

[Changed] Increased default torque and RPM numbers for the A28-150 to match the values for 24 volts.  They were previously set for 12 volts.

[Changed] Reduced spinner wobble by setting the max COM offset to 10% of radius. Previously it was set to 20% of radius.

[Changed] Less spinner speed is lost on impact. Instead of a "good hit" causing all KE to be lost, only a fraction of it is lost. This fraction depends on how far the spinner overlaps the floor or other robot. If it overlaps by half of the spinner's radius, then all energy is lost. Otherwise, only some speed is lost.

[Added] Added a "Flip Robot" button in the Robot Workshop Test Cage. This helps to simulate being launched by a flipper and for testing self-righting mechanisms.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2137 on: March 10, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »
Building with a few changes now.  I'm going to try to get a bleeding edge build out tonight with the following changes:

[Changed] Increased default torque and RPM numbers for the A28-150 to match the values for 24 volts.  They were previously set for 12 volts.

[Changed] Reduced spinner wobble by setting the max COM offset to 10% of radius. Previously it was set to 20% of radius.

[Changed] Less spinner speed is lost on impact. Instead of a "good hit" causing all KE to be lost, only a fraction of it is lost. This fraction depends on how far the spinner overlaps the floor or other robot. If it overlaps by half of the spinner's radius, then all energy is lost. Otherwise, only some speed is lost.

[Added] Added a "Flip Robot" button in the Robot Workshop Test Cage. This helps to simulate being launched by a flipper and for testing self-righting mechanisms.

Have you also fixed the flipper not firing? If so this is gonna turn out to be an amazing build

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2138 on: March 10, 2020, 04:37:25 PM »
Not yet.  It’s on the list though.  Maybe tomorrow if you like what you see in this one?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2139 on: March 10, 2020, 05:41:29 PM »
Not yet.  It’s on the list though.  Maybe tomorrow if you like what you see in this one?
Hmmm interesting