Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 191631 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #2040 on: March 04, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »
Honestly for an axe, the stronget the armour the longer the bot lasts. I think a perfect example where a bot was axed to death was between THZ and Spawn Again where the bot just slowly died.

how does the visual deformation look like rn btw?

Wouldn't this be from that Mesh Deform script we currently have in the back log of the game?? Albeit I haven't played around with this feature yet for new arena props but I'm still sceptical on how they would work for them hahaha

Ah yes, mesh deform, dark ages we live in XD

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #2041 on: March 04, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »
I’m thinking more of visual deformation, while keeping the mesh the same. If there is a dent in the wedge, the game only has it there visually, while the wedges mesh will remain the same. Also, maybe have hinges bend and become stiff when it gets hit.
Accomplishments:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2042 on: March 04, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »
Visual deformation looks terrible right now.  It would take a lot of work to make it subtle and probably only mediocre looking.  Not worth the time, IMO.

An LED system could work.  Maybe that is enough?  I’m not so keen on a “self healing” mechanic.  It just seems like this is so gamey and not at all representative of the real world.  I think I would be a lot more okay with hits putting a robot off balance though.

After all - Power LEDs are required in real life robots, so might as well use this to our advantage.

And if not self restoring I like the idea of slowing down an opponent. That could also play into our previously mentioned idea about instead of just eliminating a robot on instant knockout, doing a 10 second count down. In real life competitions once a robot has been immobilised they still count it down rather than just going 'Oh your bot aint moving it's out'. Then players can dance around the arena for a bit, ect. lol. Maybe with this in mind we could make robot's less responsive as well as gradually slowing down? Twitching motors, one drive motor slower than the others, ect. ect.

There is some precendent for slowing down an opponent.  Wheel guards are notorious for this when they get bashed in.  Wheels get stuck or they move really slowly.

I like it.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2043 on: March 04, 2020, 10:50:39 AM »
Also, we had a lot of electrical problems where wheels would become intermittent.  They would work sometimes, but then stop working or stutter for a few seconds, then work again.

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #2044 on: March 04, 2020, 10:52:15 AM »
Visual deformation looks terrible right now.  It would take a lot of work to make it subtle and probably only mediocre looking.  Not worth the time, IMO.

An LED system could work.  Maybe that is enough?  I’m not so keen on a “self healing” mechanic.  It just seems like this is so gamey and not at all representative of the real world.  I think I would be a lot more okay with hits putting a robot off balance though.

After all - Power LEDs are required in real life robots, so might as well use this to our advantage.

And if not self restoring I like the idea of slowing down an opponent. That could also play into our previously mentioned idea about instead of just eliminating a robot on instant knockout, doing a 10 second count down. In real life competitions once a robot has been immobilised they still count it down rather than just going 'Oh your bot aint moving it's out'. Then players can dance around the arena for a bit, ect. lol. Maybe with this in mind we could make robot's less responsive as well as gradually slowing down? Twitching motors, one drive motor slower than the others, ect. ect.

There is some precendent for slowing down an opponent.  Wheel guards are notorious for this when they get bashed in.  Wheels get stuck or they move really slowly.

I like it.

Thanks, haha. I would also say about some sort of particle effect coming from damaged motors but in reality I'm fairly sure they don't do this - all the smoke, ect, that comes from damaged components comes from things like the batteries. Another thing to consider?
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2045 on: March 04, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »
Ooo...  How about spinners get wobbly once they lose half their health?  It would throw off the driving of the robot, and it might be worth it to just spin up if you really needed to.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2046 on: March 04, 2020, 10:54:15 AM »

Thanks, haha. I would also say about some sort of particle effect coming from damaged motors but in reality I'm fairly sure they don't do this - all the smoke, ect, that comes from damaged components comes from things like the batteries. Another thing to consider?

Yes to particle effects!!!

I don't care if it isn't strictly realistic.  More player feedback = better.

EDIT: Particle effect for anything with electricity flowing through it.  Batteries should smoke like crazy.  When a piece of electronics goes bad it should give off a puff of smoke, then spark.  Motors should do this too if they get hit.  Lots of smoke, then sparks.

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2047 on: March 04, 2020, 10:58:41 AM »
Ooo...  How about spinners get wobbly once they lose half their health?  It would throw off the driving of the robot, and it might be worth it to just spin up if you really needed to.

How do you mean? Like they vibrate on the axle rather than detach??

Yes to particle effects!!!

I don't care if it isn't strictly realistic.  More player feedback = better.

Agreed - more particles! Hahaha. We previously spoke about new particle damage effects for armour types, ect., so might aswell! (Could always have some sparks emit from damaged motors, smoke from batteries, small vents of gas from damaged pneumatics, ect.?)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2048 on: March 04, 2020, 11:00:22 AM »

I assume like in ra2 when a bot loses its tooth

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2049 on: March 04, 2020, 11:05:31 AM »

I assume like in ra2 when a bot loses its tooth

As an example, maybe like that fight when Tombstone's blade snapped? (I think it was against Witch Doctor? Can't remember 100% though). But I like that idea, as long as the AI are then made aware of it. It annoyed me to no end how in RA2 once a spinner was damaged they'd just wobble for the rest of the fight. Maybe once a spinner registers it's blade has broken and they are wobbling, only fire their weapon once the opponent is a certain distance? They won't get much spin up, but they can still score some hits (which is personally what I end up doing in this situation).

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2050 on: March 04, 2020, 11:09:25 AM »

Rotate all of the components 5 degrees off axis, and shift the COM by 1 centimeter for a heavyweight (less for beetleweights).  This should give a really annoying wobble.

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2051 on: March 04, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »

Rotate all of the components 5 degrees off axis, and shift the COM by 1 centimeter for a heavyweight (less for beetleweights).  This should give a really annoying wobble.

Oh!!! So not enough to throw the robot around but just enough to vibrate it? Throw the driving off, ect.? I like it.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2052 on: March 04, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »

Oh!!! So not enough to throw the robot around but just enough to vibrate it? Throw the driving off, ect.? I like it.

Exactly.  The bent spinners I looked at on Saturday were a maximum of 5 mm off center.  I think 10 mm would be a little more obvious for the purposes of the game.

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2053 on: March 04, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
Whether the script can calculate the amount of throw-off by the size of the bounding box of the spinner?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2054 on: March 04, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
Whether the script can calculate the amount of throw-off by the size of the bounding box of the spinner?

Yup.  I have the radius of the spinner already.  Just do maybe 5% of the radius.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2055 on: March 04, 2020, 11:38:59 AM »
Ok off this topic: I have a possible idea:
Burst pistons that you have could be resizable. Smaller the piston is, less co2/hydraulics/nitrogen can enter the piston, thus less pressure and less powerful flippers. Maybe split between vertical scaling and horizontal scaling? So we can make short but wide bursts, or tall and slim ones

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2056 on: March 04, 2020, 11:42:41 AM »
Ok off this topic: I have a possible idea:
Burst pistons that you have could be resizable. Smaller the piston is, less co2/hydraulics/nitrogen can enter the piston, thus less pressure and less powerful flippers. Maybe split between vertical scaling and horizontal scaling? So we can make short but wide bursts, or tall and slim ones

Pneumatics are on the list.  We need to get electrical distribution systems working first though.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2057 on: March 04, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
Spinner wobble is working now.  As the spinner gets more and more damaged, it wobbles more and more.  This makes driving more difficult.

Also, @tashic found and fixed the bug with the A40-300 (New) motor.  Go tashic!

New build coming soon...

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2058 on: March 04, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
Spinner wobble is working now.  As the spinner gets more and more damaged, it wobbles more and more.  This makes driving more difficult.

New build coming soon...

Love to hear that, might use this latest version for robogames if the damage isnt busted :)

A question for future release? Are we gonna get more compact batteries? Atm most batts are oversized

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2059 on: March 04, 2020, 04:05:13 PM »

New build coming soon...

Love to hear that, might use this latest version for robogames if the damage isnt busted :)

A question for future release? Are we gonna get more compact batteries? Atm most batts are oversized

It’s on my list :P