Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187606 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
threw the link over to my buds at ARC and one of them discovered that if you have a bot on the very top of Eruption's flipper and fire it, Eruption will explode. he was able to reproduce it pretty consistently.

Nice catch!  I will definitely take a look at this.

I think I just fixed this one, but we will have to confirm in the next public build.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »
I downloaded this yesterday, but couldn't get it run properly. It's fine in the menus but when I enter a battle I get huge amounts of lag (like 2 seconds after I press a button) is there a simple fix for this?
What I did manage to play I thought it was pretty fun and the physics were pretty realistic and I'd love to see this continue in future

Thanks for the feedback!  I am curious as to your system specs.  I have been tuning combat to run between 30-60 fps on a 2013 Macbook Air laptop with 8 GB of RAM.  The game is CPU-limited on my laptop, with physics taking the vast majority of the CPU time.

It's an Acer Aspire ES1-512 (2015 or 2016) with 4 GB of RAM
The processor is an Intel Celeron N2840 if any of this helps
Yeah well there's your problem. You can't expect a 3 year old celeron (with no dGPU) that was weak when it was released to play basically any 3-D game released in the past decade or more. Not an issue with the game I'm afraid. Try it on a desktop if you have access to one.

It is good to know though.  @Olister92, thank you for sharing!

I am toying with the idea of supporting really old hardware.  This comes with other advantages, like being able to throw unlimited numbers of robots in the ring together.  Right now I am tweaking everything for two robots, and am pushing physics to the maximum.

If we were willing to give up a bunch of physics fidelity by going to a "magic mobility" system where the forces on an object are drastically simplified like in RA2, we could get by on RA2-like hardware.  I'm not convinced that it would be worth it though.  The current high-fidelity physics should be able to handle arbitrary shapes created in the BotLab.  If you want a pneumatics system, you build it from scratch.  All of the hinges and sliding joints are modeled individually.  You couldn't do this in RA2, where everything was made of prebuilt components.

For future reference, here are the Geekbench 4 scores for my MacBook Air.  It turns out it is an early 2014 model, not a 2013.  I am shooting for frame rates around 60 fps, with occasional dips to 30 fps.

MacBook Air (11-inch Early 2014)
Single-Core Score: 2428 (this is the one that should matter, as physics is running on one core)
Multi-Core Score: 5026

On Geekbench 4, the Acer Aspire ES1-512 laptop is averaging around the following:
Single-Core Score: 1200
Multi-Core Score: 1800

@Olister92, the Geekbench scores seem to corroborate the low frame rates you are seeing.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=Acer+Aspire+ES1-512

I would be curious to see how a Windows computer with a Geekbench single CPU score around 2400 performs.  Any takers? :)

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2018, 03:41:10 PM »
I would be curious to see how a Windows computer with a Geekbench single CPU score around 2400 performs.  Any takers? :)
I have a Surface Book with i7-6600u. Can't really find an accurate score for it but I can benchmark for you.
I could also throttle down my desktop if that helps.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2018, 03:55:45 PM »
I have a Surface Book with i7-6600u. Can't really find an accurate score for it but I can benchmark for you.
I could also throttle down my desktop if that helps.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=Surface+Book+i7-6600u

It looks like the Surface Book is running around 3400 for a single CPU score.  I'm thinking it should run the game at a solid 60 fps, but it also has a high resolution screen, which might bring GPU fill rate into play and slow things down.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »
I would suggest that the bottleneck for the Acer laptop is the integrated graphics, not the CPU for this particular workload
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
I would suggest that the bottleneck for the Acer laptop is the integrated graphics, not the CPU for this particular workload

Considering it scored 1483 (vs 16839 for my MacBook) on the OpenCL GPU test, you are probably right.

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2018, 10:02:53 AM »
Nice game!! It's so addictive and here are some of my suggestions.
1.Maybe it can be added something like weapon designing. Build the shape of the blade, the var, the flipper and the axe etc. whatever we like, and choose the material to attach to their weight. I think it could be of great fun. Also the paint job should be various as well so players can create their own best-looking robots.(such as typing words in different shapes)
2.The spinners should be more powerful, it's always embarrassing to see Carbide ripping Original Sin apart and then died incredibly.
3.When a robot end up with no life, it might be more real if it stops moving and been counted down, with the other side spinning around.
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »
Nice game!! It's so addictive and here are some of my suggestions.
1.Maybe it can be added something like weapon designing. Build the shape of the blade, the var, the flipper and the axe etc. whatever we like, and choose the material to attach to their weight. I think it could be of great fun. Also the paint job should be various as well so players can create their own best-looking robots.(such as typing words in different shapes)
2.The spinners should be more powerful, it's always embarrassing to see Carbide ripping Original Sin apart and then died incredibly.
3.When a robot end up with no life, it might be more real if it stops moving and been counted down, with the other side spinning around.

Thanks for the input!

1. In progress! :) - The BotLab's shape designer will be capable of making shapes for anything: chassis, weapons, etc.
2. This should be fixed in the next build.
3. Will do.  I haven't worked on this yet.

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »
It's Nightmare!
QQ图片20180405073155.png
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2018, 01:08:36 PM »
It's Nightmare!

Diggin' it!  I can't wait until we can get texturing working.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »
A new build is out! Go to the itch.io page for the latest version:

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

In this build we focused heavily on the BotLab, but we also added "Ballerina", a drum bot, and made more tweaks to physics and particle effects.

The new Main Menu:

Ballerina vs D.B. Mk II:

The BotLab:

As always, to keep up to date and/or to join our list for Beta Builds, see our website at http://robot-rumble.com, or follow us on Twitter at @RobotRumbleGame.  We're doing our best to go to the IRL robot combat events in the UK.  Next up is Robot Extreme in Guildford this weekend!

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »
I had a quick play with the new build, my feedback:

- Eruption's flipper feels really nice now. Great work on tweaking that!
- Both spinners, however, do not. Their blades/drums are going orders of magnitude too slow. Is this a limitation of the unity engine?
- Carbide's bar is rotating off-center and it looks really derpy
- PLEASE make the Esc key open the pause menu, not close the game!
- I like the addition of the drumbot
- I think the inactivity timer is really well implemented, both mechanically and visually. Great work there.

Good to see some progress. I haven't messed around in the botlab at all, are the bots made there useable in battle yet?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »
This is looking very nice, I like it a lot. I don't have much feedback, but Carbide's bar only has an ON setting and nothing to turn it off, which feels kinda weird honestly.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2018, 02:19:13 PM »
Loving the damage that you're starting to implement, fun to see and really forces you to adapt.

Carbide - The bar itself seems to spin rather slow given the damage output it gives, giving the bar a blur effect would really give the player the info that it's super fast and will be dealing that kinds of damage.

Eruption - The flipper seems really powerful when self righting, thus I take a good amount of damage for landing,  other than that the motors clip out the back which is an issue. Tho it also appear to be a general issue as I've seen it with Carbide.

Original Sin - The wedges do seem to be rather weak in comparison to the wheels, a few hits from carbide can result in losing them

BotLab -The motors as weapons are rather bulky to use, I suggest having some belt options or a way to adding belts to change the center point of spinning.

Overall, great additions and improvements, loving the build keep it up

Things I did & done

Offline Ra2Winner999

• Heavyweight
  • guys terraria 1.4 is out
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: June 07, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »
Ooh shiny! I’m on my tablet right now, so when I get to my laptop I’ll play!
the heavy is dead

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: June 07, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
I had a quick play with the new build, my feedback:

- Eruption's flipper feels really nice now. Great work on tweaking that!
- Both spinners, however, do not. Their blades/drums are going orders of magnitude too slow. Is this a limitation of the unity engine?
- Carbide's bar is rotating off-center and it looks really derpy
- PLEASE make the Esc key open the pause menu, not close the game!
- I like the addition of the drumbot
- I think the inactivity timer is really well implemented, both mechanically and visually. Great work there.

Good to see some progress. I haven't messed around in the botlab at all, are the bots made there useable in battle yet?

1. It took a lot of tweaking to get the flipper physics working well.  I'm glad you like it! :)
2. I have been exploring a bunch of spinner options, and I think I have settled on a path to make them look/feel right.  Unfortunately, none of those explorations were ready for this build.  They may or may not be ready for the Alpha release, where we will be stressing the BotLab and end-to-end building/testing/battle, but I anticipate high-speed weapons will be really important as part of the Beta process.
3. You are right about the spinner -- the existing spinner will be completely replaced as part of #2, but we are looking to make sure spin axes are appropriate for all spinning objects.
4. [ESC] key -- We still have work to do on UI, and I promise we will fix this! :)
5. Ballerina will be in the official release! :)
6. Inactivity timer -- hopefully this is close to what we will go with.
7. Nothing produced in the BotLab is usable yet.  That is our next major milestone, and will be the key milestone for our Alpha Release.  We will have a booth during the recording for the "BuggleBots" web series in the UK in September, and we are pushing to have a show-ready game for people to try at the event.

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
Loving this update! The new botlab is much easier to navigate and build on. I really like the custom parts option and all of the helpful tips with each step in the bot building process. Also, the new bots are fantastic and look great There's only a few minor bugs I've noticed:

Eruption seems to spawn backwards during each match.
Sometimes arenas such as the Warehouse and Lava Pit start randomly flashing.
The caution texture in the arena editor instead changes the texture to blank white.

Overall, this is a really great update and I can't wait to see what the next one will bring. Keep up the fantastic work!
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »
I had some good fun playing around with this update. Trying to see what kind of bot that I can build or/and possibly break the game  in someway. Regardless,  I do have some suggestions on how the bot lab could be greatly improved:
 1. Hotkey shortcuts. Being used to 3d modeling software and other programs. It's a little annoying when you have to press a button on the side bar to do anything in the bot lab, when someone is used to hitting one key to perform an action. For me and other players, it more about having the convenience of just hitting a key on the keyboard to active a function, instead of having to reach over for a button to perform the action. Some ideas could be that having a delete key to remove a part, maybe one key for each adjustment for height, rotation and scale, and a button to undo an past action.

2. Part duplication a.k.a Copying and Pasting. I'm aware that you can save personal preferences on certain parts, but if I was to make a bot with multiple wedgelets on the front, I don't want to go through the pain of saving the part, then dragging said part into place. Instead there should be a way how the player can copy a part, and paste the part right next to the part they customized, so that they may wish to align the part on the same line as the first part, instead of possibly having to drag multiple parts in the scene, then going through the horror of perfectly aligning them all up to the first one. 

3. Undoing mistakes. I put a battery in the scene, but I messed up the rotation and moved it further away from where it should be. I don't want to go through the time consuming effort of trying to correct my mistake. Instead there should be an option allowing the player to revert their mistake back to the point when the player just got the position all right. This implementation may be difficult to fully work in some areas, but this will be helpful to any player when they are building a bot.

Overall, I'm enjoying to see the overall progress of the game. Sure there are a few problems that need ironing out here and there, but once all  that is all sorted, you'll have a game that'll be look up upon by the community. Anyway, I'll be looking forward for the next update when it does come out then.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2018, 04:31:18 PM »

Here's something I noticed happening a few times with Original Sin. One of the wedgelets will break and fly off, then suddenly act as if its still attached.

Offline Ra2Winner999

• Heavyweight
  • guys terraria 1.4 is out
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: June 07, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »

1. Sometimes both bots disappear.

2. Carbide’s weapon sometimes has AGOD.

3. Carbide’s weapon is overpowered. And it doesn’t even spin fast! Slightly nerf the damage; but buff the speed 700%

4. Make the test arena less laggy. And related to the test arena, make it so there is a set spawn. Not just 2 bots showing up in random places.

(Edit) 5. Original Sin’s wedge is too flimsy. This bot takes hits from Last Rites IRL for crying out loud!
the heavy is dead