Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187416 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1840 on: February 16, 2020, 06:38:11 PM »
The school arena still looks like this for me:
 [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
EDIT: The chassis damage is so realistic! Thank you RR2 devs!
EDIT 2: After looking at the file in notepad, maybe the reason its broken is its encoded in carriage return, not carriage return and line feed.

I somehow managed to upload the MacOS version of the arena for the Windows build.  One of the quirks of the arena builder is that it has to create a version for each platform.  Windows uses DirectX, while MacOS uses OpenGL or Metal.  We’re currently trying to streamline the process.  I tried to add the correct version to the build by manually, but made a mistake in the process.

I’m glad you like the chassis damage.  On the surface it’sa little thing, but from a game design perspective I think it potentially changes the way the game is played.

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1841 on: February 16, 2020, 06:39:09 PM »
Maybe.  In a traditional game a professional artist manually goes in and creates two versions of every part, an intact one and a broken one (or multiple broken ones depending on time and budget). In our game it is a MUCH harder challenge.  YOU are the artist who made the part in the first place.  We can't put it on the players to make a bunch of broken version of parts, and developing the tool set to do this is extremely involved.  The price tag of our game will pale in comparison to the $1500/year that Adobe charges for 3ds Max.  They can hire A LOT more programmers than we can to make the tool set good, and they have been iterating since the 1990s. 

I think the closest thing to this I can think of is whatever makes destructible terrain work in some combat games, or soft-body physics simulators like Rigs of Rods, the latter of which can be pretty CPU-intensive.  I'm just a dreamer, not a programmer  :dumb)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1842 on: February 16, 2020, 06:53:27 PM »

I think the closest thing to this I can think of is whatever makes destructible terrain work in some combat games, or soft-body physics simulators like Rigs of Rods, the latter of which can be pretty CPU-intensive.  I'm just a dreamer, not a programmer  :dumb)

On a AAA game team sizes are typically around 1000 people, with several hundred artists working full time to produce broken terrain pieces.

Because our meshes  are user-generated, we would have to create our own breakage algorithm.

Alternatively, we currently have an asset that will do real-time mesh deformation, but it is low-poly and looks terrible.

We are still in the trying things out stage.  We have a long way to go still.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1843 on: February 16, 2020, 06:53:34 PM »
Soft body physics is not only cpu intensive but pricy too.

There are voxels too, but that is just not really good enough.

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1844 on: February 16, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »
it seems E-teks are turned to the opposite direction, and NPCs still heading the ground, would these be fixed?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:32:53 PM by min440303 »
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1845 on: February 17, 2020, 02:26:13 AM »
I've been having problems with Circumvolution's flywheel again. This is the exact same version of the bot that you already have so you should be able to test it. I'll also send an updated version when I've put the new motors in.

Frequently, damage caused to a part on the flywheel is dealt to one of the parts further back in the parent chain.
That parent part promptly comes off after taking only the tiniest fraction of the damage its HP should be able to absorb.
When this happens, that parent part rarely takes more than a few of its child parts with it, and never takes all of them.

Typically this manifests as a tooth hitting an opponent, one of the parts of that tooth taking the last bit of damage needed to finish it off, and at that point that entire quarter of the weapon comes off whole along with the heavy steel-50 cylinder that serves as the root for the entire weapon, while the other three quarters of the weapon remain attached despite now missing their shared parent part.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1846 on: February 17, 2020, 03:03:53 AM »
There are some issues with the new custom wheels. When I replace my old custom rubber wheels or premade wheels with the new ones, some of my bots which used to drive well starts drifting, oversteering and bouncing.

For another, when my 4WD or 8WD bots only have 2 or 4 of the motors running while the other motors shut down, if they are attaching to the old custom rubber wheels or premade wheels, they work fine. But if attaching to new custom wheels, the bot will fly to the air when driving.

Here is one of the examples.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:55:04 PM by min440303 »
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1847 on: February 17, 2020, 03:20:58 AM »
Also, the new A40-300 have broken axle points. Instead of spinning in z direction its spinning in x direction

Could you send me some screenshots of what you're currently seeing? I'll take a look at this tonight.

And regarding anything wheel builder - please note I am currently balancing a lot of values, ect. I have a feeling a lot of bouncing, driving, ect. issues might be down to incorrect weights. I'm currently trying to find a low-level and high-level stat range I am happy with then I'll apply these across all parts as balanced values.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1848 on: February 17, 2020, 03:38:45 AM »
Also, the new A40-300 have broken axle points. Instead of spinning in z direction its spinning in x direction

Could you send me some screenshots of what you're currently seeing? I'll take a look at this tonight.

And regarding anything wheel builder - please note I am currently balancing a lot of values, ect. I have a feeling a lot of bouncing, driving, ect. issues might be down to incorrect weights. I'm currently trying to find a low-level and high-level stat range I am happy with then I'll apply these across all parts as balanced values.

Heres one better:

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1849 on: February 17, 2020, 04:06:54 AM »
Ta muchly,

It looks like it should just be a hinge joint issue. Hopefully it will be easy for me to fix haha!

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1850 on: February 17, 2020, 08:11:30 AM »

On a AAA game team sizes are typically around 1000 people, with several hundred artists working full time to produce broken terrain pieces.

Because our meshes  are user-generated, we would have to create our own breakage algorithm.

Alternatively, we currently have an asset that will do real-time mesh deformation, but it is low-poly and looks terrible.

We are still in the trying things out stage.  We have a long way to go still.

One thing i didnt think about sooner, maybe for damage:

ok so what if you used a scratch for the condition of the parts, the more scracthed it is, less hp it has, maybe dynamic scratches? Where the hit occurs the scratch is there?
Now its not perfect, what about the axes? Axe bots dont do scratches. What if you did fake dents? Basicaly a bumpmap transparent texture that has like 90% transparency, That way the dented part would be darker.

As for the deformation. Maybe if a big hit that usually would deform a part, in this case it would shift rotate the part a small bit in the rotation of the weapon

This is much easier to do than some of the other much more difficult system.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1851 on: February 17, 2020, 10:56:43 AM »
There's some issue with the new custom wheels. When I replace my old custom rubber wheels or premade wheels with the new ones, some of my bots which used to drive well starts drifting, oversteering and bouncing.

For another, when my 4WD or 8WD bots only have 2 or 4 of the motors running while the other motors shut down, if they are attaching to the old custom rubber wheels or premade wheels, they work fine. But if attaching to new custom wheels, the bot will fly to the air when driving.

Here is one of the examples.

Sorry about that!  I will try to take a look at it tonight.

I suspect you found a bug in my drive motor finding logic.  Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1852 on: February 17, 2020, 10:57:55 AM »

Heres one better:

Ok a follow up:

I think powerrave noticed this before

Ok a thing i would also wish is that the disc wouldnt fall off because of the self damage, basically, if there was a system where you could assign 2 parts to hold the disc together, or the game could assign the closest ones from the centre of the disc/drum , and if one breaks off, the disc would fall off then

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1853 on: February 17, 2020, 12:24:35 PM »
The school arena still looks like this for me:

EDIT: The chassis damage is so realistic! Thank you RR2 devs!
EDIT 2: After looking at the file in notepad, maybe the reason its broken is its encoded in carriage return, not carriage return and line feed.

I somehow managed to upload the MacOS version of the arena for the Windows build.  One of the quirks of the arena builder is that it has to create a version for each platform.  Windows uses DirectX, while MacOS uses OpenGL or Metal.  We’re currently trying to streamline the process.  I tried to add the correct version to the build by manually, but made a mistake in the process.

I’m glad you like the chassis damage.  On the surface it’sa little thing, but from a game design perspective I think it potentially changes the way the game is played.
Could you post the windows school arena file?

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1854 on: February 17, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »
Ok a follow up:

I think powerrave noticed this before

Ok a thing i would also wish is that the disc wouldnt fall off because of the self damage, basically, if there was a system where you could assign 2 parts to hold the disc together, or the game could assign the closest ones from the centre of the disc/drum , and if one breaks off, the disc would fall off then
Yeah I have shown it before where I found it during the reworking of Miasma. Had a gearbox mounted on the side of the new 40-300.

Pic again for reference:
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1855 on: February 17, 2020, 01:08:36 PM »
Yeah I have shown it before where I found it during the reworking of Miasma. Had a gearbox mounted on the side of the new 40-300.
Yeah k im actually turning into a boomer

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1856 on: February 17, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »
Still some fine-tuning issues for the coding guys to sort out but the A40-300 motor should be back to working as intended for the next build.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1857 on: February 17, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
Still some fine-tuning issues for the coding guys to sort out but the A40-300 motor should be back to working as intended for the next build.
Will the brushless motor be fixed for the next build?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1858 on: February 17, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »
Okay, so... I've just tried the feb16 build, and Circumvolution's gotten catastrophically worse for reasons I can't figure out. The entire robot disintegrates at the slightest provocation, and the weapon is simply incapable of damaging anything more than exposed wheels during its brief existence. If anything, the shrapnel is probably more dangerous than the robot itself.

I even built a completely new robot to the same concept with fewer parts (such as using a hollow cylinder for the flywheel) and that one's even worse. I've seen its wheels break seemingly just from the weight of the robot pressing down on them, and the flywheel consistently just comes clean off after it scores one or occasionally two of its pathetic hits.

:vista:
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline WhamettNuht

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1859 on: February 18, 2020, 03:14:05 AM »
Will the brushless motor be fixed for the next build?

What's wrong with it?