Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187508 times)

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1680 on: February 04, 2020, 06:20:33 PM »

I’ll call it the spazzing glitch.

Can you send me an .RR2Bot file?  COMs are showing up in the correct spot when I pop a wheel off my robots.
Any robots in my showcase will work. The only requirement is they have to be direct drive with prebuilt wheels.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1681 on: February 04, 2020, 08:38:21 PM »
Also I noticed that music for the main menu is COMPLETELY NONEXISTENT!!!! :vista:

Offline min440303

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1682 on: February 05, 2020, 02:04:13 AM »
I have a question, will we have a slider inside the custom shape bar? It's really painful to click the arrow button to destroy my finger and the mouse
Mad but not mad.

Stuff I kinda done at

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1683 on: February 05, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »
Also I noticed that music for the main menu is COMPLETELY NONEXISTENT!!!! :vista:

Menu and music design is a slow process.  Expect things like this to slowly get sorted out as we get closer to beta.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1684 on: February 05, 2020, 05:44:25 AM »

Can you send me an .RR2Bot file?  COMs are showing up in the correct spot when I pop a wheel off my robots.
Any robots in my showcase will work. The only requirement is they have to be direct drive with prebuilt wheels.

Could you point me to one in particular that is frustrating?  The faster I can pinpoint the problem, the faster I can get the build out.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1685 on: February 05, 2020, 05:49:58 AM »

Could you point me to one in particular that is frustrating?  The faster I can pinpoint the problem, the faster I can get the build out.
Its basically the thing when the wheel falls off and the motor spins at full power and it causes the bot to lift on that side

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1686 on: February 05, 2020, 05:58:49 AM »

Please note I am currently in the process of redesigning the UI so elements such as this will be sorted upon the new UI's release.

Its basically the thing when the wheel falls off and the motor spins at full power and it causes the bot to lift on that side

I noticed the same happens. When I was testing out some new Bug weight components it was even more noticeable once the wheels came off.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1687 on: February 05, 2020, 06:02:33 AM »
I noticed the same happens. When I was testing out some new Bug weight components it was even more noticeable once the wheels came off.
A fix would be to turn off the motor once the wheel is off, aka there is nothing on the motor

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1688 on: February 05, 2020, 06:16:27 AM »

Oh. When I said axle, that's not what I meant. I meant that I added a beefed up steel cylinder to the spinner, and made every other section of the weapon be child parts to that.

It's entirely possible for that cylinder - the parent part to the entire weapon - to come off from the teeth hitting opponents. On top of that, when that parent part does come off, it very rarely takes its child parts with it.

As for Panic Attack:
The srimech has three aluminium components attached to the main slab. Each of those parts has decorative parts attached to it.
When those break off, the decorative parts attached to them go with them. When the main slab breaks off, the decorative parts attached to it don't go with it. They remain attached to the gearbox.
The skirts also take their decorative parts with them when they break off.

Having talked about the issues with the two bots together, I do now have a theory. Perhaps the fault lies specifically in the components that are attached directly to the axle? Since that's the case both for the main plate of Panic Attack's srimech, and the cylinder in Circumvolution's weapon.

Thank you for this excellent writeup!  I was able to reproduce the problem exactly as you described with Panic Attack in the editor.

The tree structure looks fine.  The fault lies with the breakage script.  When I break off the main slab (called "Cube"), the decorations are logically still linked to it, but the breakage script doesn't take them with to form the new broken game object.

The weird thing is that the breakage script works just fine for a simpler robot I built.  I put 6 cubes in a chain.  If I reduced the health of cube #3 to zero, cubes #3, 4, 5, and 6 all broke off together, exactly as they were supposed to.  It turns out that the problem lies with branched trees.  If more than one component is attached to something attached to a motor, none of the branches would break off.

I found the bug and should be able to push a fix today.

Cyar, thank you!  You are awesome!

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1689 on: February 05, 2020, 06:34:15 AM »

That’s pretty much what I was thinking it was. I recall recommending a fix for this glitch, but I need to find it.
EDIT: kix’s fix was the one I was thinking about.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1690 on: February 05, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »

That’s pretty much what I was thinking it was. I recall recommending a fix for this glitch, but I need to find it.

Gotcha!  I thought I disabled the motor anytime everything was broken off in a previous build.  I'll take a look at it again today.

So weird...

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1691 on: February 05, 2020, 07:27:27 AM »
Does this game's damage system support crushers? My friend who's a big fan of Razer really wants to play a game where crushers are viable

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1692 on: February 05, 2020, 07:32:12 AM »
Does this game's damage system support crushers? My friend who's a big fan of Razer really wants to play a game where crushers are viable

Not yet.  There are a few stubbed-in things for crusher mechanics, but no damage occurs with them.

They are on my to-do list.  I hope to get to them soon.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1693 on: February 05, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »
Nah this game uses the rigidbody system like ra2 has. However if a bot has a hole somwhere, there is a chance that you could grab it
I have a possible solution but however its more complicated to explain

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1694 on: February 05, 2020, 09:03:59 AM »
Nah this game uses the rigidbody system like ra2 has. However if a bot has a hole somwhere, there is a chance that you could grab it
I have a possible solution but however its more complicated to explain

What did you have in mind?  I wasn't thinking along the lines of ripping off small parts, but I think I like where you are going with the idea.  It might be computationally expensive though.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1695 on: February 05, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »
What did you have in mind?  I wasn't thinking along the lines of ripping off small parts, but I think I like where you are going with the idea.  It might be computationally expensive though.
For the hole i meant, if there was a hole in the design, like something that was built, there is a chance that a crusher could grab that.
As for the idea. Ok so few things would be needed:
1. A hydraulic ram that has high pressure but is slow.
2. A premade part, now how would it work. Maybe the tip has something on it like a script. How would it work? Lets take the round spike premade model, now it would have collision, however the tip would have a passthru script and if it detects a part that is from the opponent, the spike would sink in and act like a magnet, basically grabbing it untill a collision happens that breaks the opponent free.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1696 on: February 05, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »

Gotcha!  I thought I disabled the motor anytime everything was broken off in a previous build.  I'll take a look at it again today.

So weird...

I think I might have found a possible fix, but I can't tell if my fix is doing anything because I can't reliably reproduce the bug.

kix, does Mental Breakdown show the bug?

In which arena are you guys seeing the problem?  Does it occur in the Robot Workshop test cage?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1697 on: February 05, 2020, 10:46:28 AM »
I've been having another go at getting my thwackbot to work, and I feel like part of the problem is a lack of traction with the arena floor.

It uses the stock 12.5 inch wheels, and in the workshop test area it thwacks so hard it bounces the wheels up off the ground, but out in the arena it needs a several metre run-up to turn over at all, and when it does do so it's too sluggish to have any real impact even if it did hit.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1698 on: February 05, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »
I've been having another go at getting my thwackbot to work, and I feel like part of the problem is a lack of traction with the arena floor.

It uses the stock 12.5 inch wheels, and in the workshop test area it thwacks so hard it bounces the wheels up off the ground, but out in the arena it needs a several metre run-up to turn over at all, and when it does do so it's too sluggish to have any real impact even if it did hit.

The Wheel Mass Ratio slider only affected the battle arena.  This means that wheel behavior is different between the Robot Workshop test cage and the battle arena.

I overlooked this fact in my zeal to remove the sliders.  Both the test cage and the battle arena should behave the same in the upcoming build.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1699 on: February 05, 2020, 11:28:38 AM »
kix, does Mental Breakdown show the bug?

In which arena are you guys seeing the problem?  Does it occur in the Robot Workshop test cage?
I dont have mental breakdown, but removing a wheel shows that it doesnt do it in the test cage. Craplectric Jr. did do that but iirc it was on an older build