Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187687 times)

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1640 on: January 31, 2020, 12:42:59 PM »
COMING SOON TO THE GAME:

Updated model for AmpFlow A28-150 + individual gearbox

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

AND - I have managed to bag the game permission to use NPC. For the time being they have let us use the T-64 motor.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
I'm really looking forward to those!

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1641 on: January 31, 2020, 09:25:23 PM »
Is there a place folks are uploading their RR2 creations for others to download?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1642 on: February 01, 2020, 06:42:12 AM »
Is there a place folks are uploading their RR2 creations for others to download?

Not yet, as far as I'm aware. But I do know there are one or two ideas in the works.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
  • Rep: -4
  • Education is important, robots are importanter.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1643 on: February 01, 2020, 08:44:46 AM »
I upload my bots in my showcase.
Here's a link: https://gametechmods.com/forums/robot-rumble-2-0-showcases/team-lightning's-showcase/

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1644 on: February 01, 2020, 09:25:04 PM »
Thank you for sharing!  I was disappointed to see that GTM doesn't have a repository for any RR2 bots.

Offline Team Lightning

• Addicted to combat robotics, good at annoying people, and wanting to get to -10000 rep XD.
  • Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1645 on: February 02, 2020, 10:02:47 AM »
Thank you for sharing!  I was disappointed to see that GTM doesn't have a repository for any RR2 bots.
You’re welcome. If you want to, you can modify them and post them on my showcase so I can get ideas.

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1646 on: February 02, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
All thwackbots will need to be rebalanced after the build that I’m working on now. 

I finally got the the center of mass calculation working correctly based on components.  This means it should be really easy to adjust a thwackbot by putting a shape out near the edge and adjusting its thickness or material.
When is this build coming out?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1647 on: February 02, 2020, 03:43:47 PM »
Soon!  I was hoping to put the new arenas in the build, but they aren’t quite ready.

I can do a build with just the physics if you would like.

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1648 on: February 02, 2020, 03:48:30 PM »
Soon!  I was hoping to put the new arenas in the build, but they aren’t quite ready.

I can do a build with just the physics if you would like.
YES, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1649 on: February 02, 2020, 04:35:16 PM »
YAY DOUBLE POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I've brought this up before, but
Can you fix the telemetry?
I can try!  Can you point me to a few .RR2Bot files with the symptoms?  The more, the better!
I mean the glitch where the telemetry screen doesn't turn off when the telemetry button is pressed.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1650 on: February 03, 2020, 05:22:44 AM »
Just fixed the telemetry button in the robot workshop.  It now toggles correctly.

I should have a new Alpha build up within the next few hours.

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1651 on: February 03, 2020, 06:23:12 AM »
Just fixed the telemetry button in the robot workshop.  It now toggles correctly.

I should have a new Alpha build up within the next few hours.
Thank you!

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1652 on: February 03, 2020, 06:26:16 AM »
The 03February2020 Build is up!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

[Updates in the February 3rd Build]

[Bug Fix] Fixed manual Center of Mass (COM) calculation bug. COM is now computed correctly based on the location and mass of components, rather than the location of colliders.  If COM was important to a robot (i.e. an overhead thwackbot), the robot will need to be rebalanced.  This can be done by changing shape materials, changing thickness of the shape, shifting the location of components, or by adding or removing components.

[Added] New shape prefabs. The new geo cylinders and hollow cylinders make for some beautiful discs! The hollow box is great for chassis components.

[Added] New Aluminium Treadplate amour​​

[Added] More hotkeys added on these parts of the botlab:

-Intro screen (enter to start);

-chassis screen;

-shape creator;

-overview screen.

[Changed] Refined the list of the hotkey screen:

-Made the window bigger to fit more hotkeys when necessary;

-Merge certain combination of keys (when an action has both left and right shift buttons, it just shows "shift", same thing done for ctrl and notmal/keypad digits);

-Depending on the section of the botlab the player is in, it shows the appropriate hotkeys;

[Changed] Now the hotkeys can trigger the popups that appeared when a non interactable element was clicked.​

[Removed] Removed sliders for Wheel Mass Ratio, Spinner Mass Ratio, Spinner Impulse, and Spinner Pushout. User feedback has converged on values for these variables, and the sliders appear to no longer be necessary. The gamewide values for these are now hard coded as follows: Wheel Mass Ratio = 0.1 Minimum Spinner Mass Ratio = 0.1 Spinner Impulse = 1.0 Spinner Pushout = 1.0​

[Changed] Changed materials of the motors.

[Bug Fix] Fixed Telemetry Toggle button in Robot Workshop test cage. It now toggles the telemetry display on and off.​

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1653 on: February 03, 2020, 10:37:25 AM »
The 03February2020 Build is up!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

[Updates in the February 3rd Build]

[Bug Fix] Fixed manual Center of Mass (COM) calculation bug. COM is now computed correctly based on the location and mass of components, rather than the location of colliders.  If COM was important to a robot (i.e. an overhead thwackbot), the robot will need to be rebalanced.  This can be done by changing shape materials, changing thickness of the shape, shifting the location of components, or by adding or removing components.

[Added] New shape prefabs. The new geo cylinders and hollow cylinders make for some beautiful discs! The hollow box is great for chassis components.

[Added] New Aluminium Treadplate amour​​

[Added] More hotkeys added on these parts of the botlab:

-Intro screen (enter to start);

-chassis screen;

-shape creator;

-overview screen.

[Changed] Refined the list of the hotkey screen:

-Made the window bigger to fit more hotkeys when necessary;

-Merge certain combination of keys (when an action has both left and right shift buttons, it just shows "shift", same thing done for ctrl and notmal/keypad digits);

-Depending on the section of the botlab the player is in, it shows the appropriate hotkeys;

[Changed] Now the hotkeys can trigger the popups that appeared when a non interactable element was clicked.​

[Removed] Removed sliders for Wheel Mass Ratio, Spinner Mass Ratio, Spinner Impulse, and Spinner Pushout. User feedback has converged on values for these variables, and the sliders appear to no longer be necessary. The gamewide values for these are now hard coded as follows: Wheel Mass Ratio = 0.1 Minimum Spinner Mass Ratio = 0.1 Spinner Impulse = 1.0 Spinner Pushout = 1.0​

[Changed] Changed materials of the motors.

[Bug Fix] Fixed Telemetry Toggle button in Robot Workshop test cage. It now toggles the telemetry display on and off.​

The build is amazing. I have nothing much negative to say about it.
Only issue is that i find NPC to be a bit too weak of a drive motor. Seems like torque might need to go up a bit
Oh and i used to use arrow keys to move tabs is a bad thing, especially for people who use arrows to change the part location numbers

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1654 on: February 03, 2020, 11:19:47 AM »
I haven't downloaded this build yet but I just wanna ask, is there a way to create true spherical armor in this game? I've always didnt like how RA2's chassis creation had no way to handle actual spheres (or pure triangles)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1655 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
I haven't downloaded this build yet but I just wanna ask, is there a way to create true spherical armor in this game? I've always didnt like how RA2's chassis creation had no way to handle actual spheres (or pure triangles)
chassis creation is like ra3 (so just like RA2, but with more than 2 layers)
You cann attach sphere parts (or half sphere)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1656 on: February 03, 2020, 12:40:16 PM »

Two techniques:

1. Create a series of quadrilaterals in the shape creator and assemble them into a dome.
2. Scale a half-sphere to the necessary dimensions.

Please understand that according to a computer, a sphere is just a smoothed multifaceted polyhedron with lots of faces.

In the game, if you manually assemble the faces yourself (technique #1 above), the faces will break off in chunks.  If you were to use a single half-sphere piece, it would break off as a single piece.

EDIT - Robot Rumble 2 has a built-in shape creation tool that can be used for arbitrary shapes, not just the chassis.  This opens up the ability to built pretty much whatever you want if you have enough time and patience.  It is an EXTREMELY stripped down 3D modeling tool.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1657 on: February 03, 2020, 03:25:36 PM »
For the next build I’m going to start the process of reducing the number of colliders.  This should speed up physics and prevent little shapes from getting stuck inside of robots when they break off.

So far, Panic Attack has almost 300 colliders.  Circumvolution has 260.  I’m going to try to get all robots below 50 colliders using some tricks.  I hope to have something out to you guys in the next few days.

Offline Team Lightning

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1658 on: February 03, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
So the gyrodancing glitch is back :/. Yay.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1659 on: February 03, 2020, 04:43:57 PM »
So the gyrodancing glitch is back :/. Yay.

What do you mean when you use the words “gyro dancing glitch”? 

To me gyro dancing is the result of applying a steering input to a rapidly spinning vertical spinner. This is not a glitch.  It is something that i happens in real life.

Is it possible to post a video that clearly shows the behavior you are concerned about?  If it is truly gyro dancing, then it doesn’t need to be fixed because it is the correct behavior.  If it is something other than gyro dancing, let’s come up with a better name for the concerning effect.