Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187945 times)

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1160 on: December 20, 2019, 03:57:53 PM »
New build: Damaged components do something very comical in that they float in place once they've been broken off... Kinda like it becomes a fighter bonus reward or something. The same also seems to happen with robots with a flipper piston system. They just kinda float around.

I also managed to try out the mirroring properly. AMAZING!! Exactly what I would have hoped for! Even with the wiring!! Bravo!
Would it be possible maybe to incorporate a similar system in the plot gird for custom components & the chassis? Maybe set up a rule with it that all start and end points need to be on their corresponding mirror axis/plane (so if you wanted to mirror on the X, the first and last points must be on the middle line on the X axis, if that makes sense?)
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1161 on: December 20, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »
I think I've figured out what visually broke on Panic Attack, with the chassis scaling.
There are weird seams on it, so I think what's happened is that the outer layer of the chassis scaled properly to 08/09/08, but the inner layer stayed at 1/1/1.

I've just tested with a giant box scaled down, and that definitely is the problem. If you resize the chassis using the standard scaling tool, the inside layer of the armour doesn't change.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1162 on: December 20, 2019, 05:03:54 PM »
I think I've figured out what visually broke on Panic Attack, with the chassis scaling.
There are weird seams on it, so I think what's happened is that the outer layer of the chassis scaled properly to 08/09/08, but the inner layer stayed at 1/1/1.

I've just tested with a giant box scaled down, and that definitely is the problem. If you resize the chassis using the standard scaling tool, the inside layer of the armour doesn't change.

I can vouch that this is true. The same happened on some of my reps where the chassis was scaled.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1163 on: December 20, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »

Gotcha.  I think this bug happened when I was playing around with ways to visually indicate damage to the chassis.  I created a copy of the existing chassis plates.  The copies I created are not getting scaled correctly when the robot is reconstructed from the .RR2Bot file.  The easy solution is to just get roof of the copy.  I’m still playing around with stuff so it may or may not stay, depending on if we need it to show the damage.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1164 on: December 20, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
also while i'm here, can i request the ability to run a weapon off of multiple motors? this would help tremendously with trying to make more compact robots.

Were you thinking two motors, both turning the same belt?  You can request it, but it really complicates the component assembly tree.  I.e. it isn't really a tree structure any more.  The .RR2bot file and component assembly is currently built around a tree structure.  Each component has exactly one parent component.  With the possibility of two parents, things become much more complicated.
that's what i meant and that's what i figured. unfortunate, but if you ever get the chance to try something like that i'd really be grateful.

Offline BATTLEMASTER

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1165 on: December 20, 2019, 09:12:33 PM »
Regarding robot damage, I'd love for something like this to be possible:

I have no idea how hard that would be to model, but I'd love to be able to disintegrate other robots  :dance:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1166 on: December 21, 2019, 06:59:08 AM »

I have no idea how hard that would be to model, but I'd love to be able to disintegrate other robots  :dance:

Loved that fight video!   :claping

If you built reps of the two robots in the workshop, I'm pretty sure you could recreate exactly that level of robot disintegration with the current (20December2019) build.

Offline powerrave

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1167 on: December 21, 2019, 07:01:25 AM »
I've downloaded and started up the new version for a short bit. May be trying to build stuff with mirroring now in place.

What I did notice is an issue with the forward heading. Some of my bots (namely Stopping Power and Miasma) have it at 180 (or -180, doesn't matter), but every time the botlab is entered with one of them, the forward heading gets reset to 0.
Alternatively, you can rotate the bot. Select the chassis and do a 180. Heading to 0 and voila!
That is indeed a way, but the forward heading should still be fixed regardless. Otherwise it's a bit useless.
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser"

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1168 on: December 21, 2019, 07:33:15 AM »
New build: Damaged components do something very comical in that they float in place once they've been broken off... Kinda like it becomes a fighter bonus reward or something. The same also seems to happen with robots with a flipper piston system. They just kinda float around.

Hmmm.  Weird.  I thought I had fixed the instances of this.  Can you send me a .RR2Bot file to play with?

I also managed to try out the mirroring properly. AMAZING!! Exactly what I would have hoped for! Even with the wiring!! Bravo!
Would it be possible maybe to incorporate a similar system in the plot gird for custom components & the chassis? Maybe set up a rule with it that all start and end points need to be on their corresponding mirror axis/plane (so if you wanted to mirror on the X, the first and last points must be on the middle line on the X axis, if that makes sense?)

Thank you!  The mirroring system is @tashic's baby.  He deserves the kudos.

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1169 on: December 21, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »
Yeah, the floating parts happen a lot for me. It looks like an item drop tbh.
Accomplishments:

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1170 on: December 21, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »

If you built reps of the two robots in the workshop, I'm pretty sure you could recreate exactly that level of robot disintegration with the current (20December2019) build.

What happened? It's blocked over here.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1171 on: December 21, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »

What happened? It's blocked over here.

This:

There was not a whole lot left afterwards.
My DSL Showcase

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1172 on: December 21, 2019, 10:35:44 AM »

Hmmm.  Weird.  I thought I had fixed the instances of this.  Can you send me a .RR2Bot file to play with?

Yeah, the floating parts happen a lot for me. It looks like an item drop tbh.

Me, Few days ago:
Note: The parts that are broken off still feel like they have moon gravity, and they still are immovable

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1173 on: December 21, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »

This:

(Image removed from quote.)

There was not a whole lot left afterwards.

Love it!  We would have to get rid of the three hit rule, or reduce the post-hit invulnerability time period, then add flames, but I think it is doable!

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1174 on: December 21, 2019, 12:37:42 PM »
Over the past week or so I've been working on integrating an open source mod api in to Robot Rumble that allows non-destructive mod injection using the Harmony Library. I just have a couple of technical questions to help with mod development in the future. I'll start for now with this one:

Do you know if there is a method that is called on each scene load outside of the default sceneLoaded event? I'm working on a roundabout fix for the resolution issue and it seems that a method that triggers (potentially on Awake()) on scene load is causing the resolution to be set incorrectly but I haven't been successful in finding it. Also its just occurred to me as I'm writing that such a global hook would be very useful for modding if it did exist.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1175 on: December 21, 2019, 01:01:28 PM »
Over the past week or so I've been working on integrating an open source mod api in to Robot Rumble that allows non-destructive mod injection using the Harmony Library. I just have a couple of technical questions to help with mod development in the future. I'll start for now with this one:

Do you know if there is a method that is called on each scene load outside of the default sceneLoaded event? I'm working on a roundabout fix for the resolution issue and it seems that a method that triggers (potentially on Awake()) on scene load is causing the resolution to be set incorrectly but I haven't been successful in finding it. Also its just occurred to me as I'm writing that such a global hook would be very useful for modding if it did exist.

I like it!  Let me take a look tonight/tomorrow.  I’m not in front of my computer right now.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1176 on: December 21, 2019, 01:05:52 PM »
Also, on the topic of modding: 

1.We still have the RR2 Component Modding Tool project on the back burner.  The idea is to make all of the in-game components using the tool.

2. We also could really use an open source arena builder tool.

Both of these have languished in the vaporware stage because we are down just @tashic and me for development.  Would you be interested in picking up one (or both) of these projects?  I would like to put them up on github when they are ready.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1177 on: December 21, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »
Im pretty sure you might be able to inject arenas into the game via mod. Or alternatively, an arena builder just like how bot builder works
I could make a mock up

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1178 on: December 21, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
Im pretty sure you might be able to inject arenas into the game via mod. Or alternatively, an arena builder just like how bot builder works
I could make a mock up

I was thinking something more official.  Like using Unity to create arena AssetBundles that you can load from a directory.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1179 on: December 21, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »
I could make a mock up

I was thinking something more official.  Like using Unity to create arena AssetBundles that you can load from a directory.

Idk how friendly would that be to inexperienced people.

P.S when you joining discord? That might be more communication friendly