Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187647 times)

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1100 on: December 18, 2019, 02:25:07 PM »
I'm putting in a damage multiplier slider.  We haven't done any damage tuning yet.

You should be able to slide it all the way to "0" in settings to disable damage entirely for tournaments.
Thats actually great

Will that mean that the options will now save?

Unfortunately no, not in this build.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1101 on: December 18, 2019, 02:57:57 PM »
I'm putting in a damage multiplier slider.  We haven't done any damage tuning yet.

You should be able to slide it all the way to "0" in settings to disable damage entirely for tournaments.
Thats actually great

Oh, maybe the multiplier then should be set to a low value i suppose atleast till the settings can save

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1102 on: December 18, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »

Thats actually great

The damage multiplier should now be saved in PlayerPrefs.  It is working in the Unity editor:

I have the saving system open now.  What other saving isn't working?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1103 on: December 18, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »
What other saving isn't working?
Audio settings, video settings
And the fact that video aspect is wrong

Offline RpJk

• ♫Time has come to listen to the crying of their puppet souls♫
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Done and done.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1104 on: December 18, 2019, 04:29:28 PM »
Still keeping an eye on how well this is going.
If I had a better laptop, I would be playing this a lot more. And a building tutorial.
Old Stock Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=6590.0

I've moved to other forums. Under a different name. This is where it all began.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1105 on: December 18, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »
If I had a better laptop, I would be playing this a lot more. And a building tutorial.
One of those 2 do exist

Offline Hobo Droo

• Official Veteran
  • Rep: 7
  • Former Cheater
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1106 on: December 18, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »
For me the audio/video settings save if I change them during a fight, but they don't work in the main menu.
kevin the cube is gone in fortnite

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
  • Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1107 on: December 18, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
It's great to see that custom wheels should be working a lot better now, and that damage multiplier slider is going to come in incredibly handy!

As Kix mentioned the video settings seem to bounce back to default on every scene change so it seems the current resolution isn't being stored/read correctly.

At the moment, I'm using a hacky fix by injecting a script that sets the window size on awake() 😅

While we are on the subject of hacky fixes I'm working on; is there any plans for the ability to toggle the UI in a match? I, personally, would love to be able to disable it (especially the massive amount of screen space the free look camera panel takes up) for recording matches.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1108 on: December 18, 2019, 06:31:35 PM »
For me the audio/video settings save if I change them during a fight, but they don't work in the main menu.

Gotcha!  I will take a look either tonight or tomorrow.  I was just setting them from within a fight and they were saving then.  I haven’t checked when setting them from the main menu screen.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1109 on: December 18, 2019, 06:33:35 PM »
It's great to see that custom wheels should be working a lot better now, and that damage multiplier slider is going to come in incredibly handy!

As Kix mentioned the video settings seem to bounce back to default on every scene change so it seems the current resolution isn't being stored/read correctly.

At the moment, I'm using a hacky fix by injecting a script that sets the window size on awake() 😅

While we are on the subject of hacky fixes I'm working on; is there any plans for the ability to toggle the UI in a match? I, personally, would love to be able to disable it (especially the massive amount of screen space the free look camera panel takes up) for recording matches.

Maybe a hotkey to hide the UI?  Can you post a marked-up screenshot of what you would like to get rid of?  I should have a few hours to work on it tomorrow.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1110 on: December 18, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »

Sorry about that!  If it’s any consolation, I’m still developing the game on my 2013 macbook air.  If I can get it to run well on this computer, hopefully it helps others with old laptops.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1111 on: December 18, 2019, 08:33:23 PM »

Gotcha!  I will take a look either tonight or tomorrow.  I was just setting them from within a fight and they were saving then.  I haven’t checked when setting them from the main menu screen.

Yup.  Found it.  The UI code for the battle screens is different than the UI code for the main menu.  I should have them all working properly by tomorrow.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1112 on: December 18, 2019, 08:54:33 PM »
Bubblegum is fixed!  There were two overlapping colliders whose collisions weren't being ignored.  Bubblegum sits flat and drives straight now.

I still have to get the different settings menus squared away.  I'm hoping to fix those and push out the build in the next 24 hours.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1113 on: December 19, 2019, 06:02:34 AM »
Settings menus are a mess.  It is going to take more time than I have today to get them working correctly in every scene.

Right now settings menu in the "Test Arena" seems to work correctly.  It is the only settings menu with the damage slider.  All of the other settings menus are in various stages of nonfunctional.

I'm going to put together the build as it is right now and push it out to itch.io today:

[Added] Botlab "Mirror" function - Components and assemblies can now be mirrored:

• If the option on the left of the screen is toggled on, players can place the component picked and the mirrored version of that component.
  • Changes done to one of the components will be transfered to the other and vice versa (the only place when that doesn't happen yet is the "Painter" screen).
  • The components that have a mirrored counterpart will have a "Mirror_Pair" script for the mirror information. For left/right side drive motors, by default the mirror version will be set as the opposite side, but an option has been added to keep both sides the same.
  • Removing a component with a mirrored version present, will leave the mirrored version and remove it's mirror_pair script.
  • Added a small description for the mirror options in the help for the screens where you place components.

[Added] Belts/Chain/Pulley transmission components can now be stacked.
[Added] Breakage - Entire component chains can now be broken off.  I.e. If a shape with an attached motor breaks, the shape, motor, and everything attached to that motor all break off together.
[Added] Added a "Damage Multiplier" slider in the Test Arena settings menu.  Please note that this slider only works in the test arena.  Work still needs to be done to get the settings working correctly throughout the entire game.

[Change] You can now make your own rubber wheels!  When a shape's material is set to "Rubber", a Weapon_Blur_Cylinder is not attached to it.  The weapon blur cylinder was previously attached to all spinning shapes.  It was designed to handle the collisions of a high speed spinning weapon, but made wheels drive horribly.  In the new build, if you select "rubber" for the material, the game assumes you are making a wheel and won't attach the blur cylinder, allowing you to create wheels that drive normally.

[Bug Fix] Fixed a problem for all spinners which caused a robots spinner to collide with the rest of the robot, causing the robot to fly around wildly.  This made spinners unplayable for the most part.
[Bug Fix] Bubblegum now sits flat and drives correctly.  This was due to a similar issue as the bug fix listed above.

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1114 on: December 19, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
The new build is live!  It is dated 12December2019, and includes the features and fixes in the preceding post.  Yay alliteration!

https://robot-rumble.itch.io/builds

Here's a screenshot showing the new mirroring feature:

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1115 on: December 19, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »
The new build is live!  It is dated 12December2019, and includes the features and fixes in the preceding post.  Yay alliteration!

First impressions on the damage system are great, however I have noticed a couple of bugs.
  • Bots need to be saved in the new build (this is as simple as adding then removing a component) or they are weak as hell
  • The flame pit in Test Arena causes smaller pieces to be removed instantly, even at 0% damage
  • If a component breaks off of a spinner it no longer calculates the Weapon_Blur_Cylinder
  • I'm not too sure the damage slider is working when set to 0% as parts still seem to fall off but again that could be down to the flame pit mentioned earlier

Mirroring works great, alongside the changes to the rubber material. All in all a great update!

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1116 on: December 19, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »
Ok so some feedback:
1. Flame pit instantly breaks off parts
2. Im not a fan of the damage. Even at 50% parts fall off too fast and it makes not difference than on 200%. You dont even need to hit a bot with the weapon to break his part off
3. for the damage. Maybe you could make an option to couple up few smaller parts to turn it into a bigger part. this way you could avoid losing a fair bit of parts because one small part that was holding the weapon together reached 0hp

Offline KupaTec

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1117 on: December 19, 2019, 10:36:31 AM »
3. for the damage. Maybe you could make an option to couple up few smaller parts to turn it into a bigger part. this way you could avoid losing a fair bit of parts because one small part that was holding the weapon together reached 0hp

This is a genius idea, the ability to combine multiple custom shapes into one composite component would make a huge difference to building and styling.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1118 on: December 19, 2019, 10:44:54 AM »
oh yea, the update did something to self collision so this is fun i guess

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1119 on: December 19, 2019, 11:10:11 AM »
oh yea, the update did something to self collision so this is fun i guess

Darn it.  I thought I fixed this.

I guess I need to look at it again.  Would you mind sending the .RR2Bot file?