Poll

What do you like doing most in RA2/RA3/robot combat games?

Building robots
Local single player battles with manually-controlled robots
Local multiplayer battles  with manually-controlled robots (PvP with controllers or a shared keyboard)
AI-only tournament battles
Other?  Please comment below.

Author Topic: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development  (Read 187603 times)

Offline Witherana

• The Man
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Hm, what am i doing here
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Rumble 2.0 - Robot Combat Simulator - Under Development
« Reply #1040 on: October 14, 2019, 02:43:18 AM »
When will the menu's of the lava pit and warehouse arena's get updated?
Been doing this for 8 years...

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #1041 on: October 14, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »
Just goona throw out three things I believe should be added/fixed within the next few updates:
- Flatmotors
- somewhat decent AI for flippers and hammers
- Fix the motor attached to a motor/piston/hinge glitch.
Accomplishments:

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1042 on: October 15, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »
Just goona throw out three things I believe should be added/fixed within the next few updates:
- Flatmotors
- somewhat decent AI for flippers and hammers
- Fix the motor attached to a motor/piston/hinge glitch.
This glitch should be fixed. I want to build Clamping Blade.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1043 on: October 15, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
I kinda want for axle damage to be removed atm, at least temporarily
Its not fun when vital parts fall off, like wheels
also maybe hp buff for all parts?

Offline Wambo

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1044 on: October 17, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
A HP buff would defenitely be a good thing, because, if you have a lifter, the weapon can fall off very quickly.

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #1045 on: October 18, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX THE GLITCH!!! If you have a motor on a motor, attach a wheel to the second motor. Then you attach your weapon to the wheel. then BOOM! Now you have a saw bot.
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1046 on: October 19, 2019, 02:55:53 AM »
I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX THE GLITCH!!! If you have a motor on a motor, attach a wheel to the second motor. Then you attach your weapon to the wheel. then BOOM! Now you have a saw bot.
I mean yeah, this is a nice fix, but its as nice as applying tape to the saw to hold it together

Offline WhamettNuht

• Rep: 12
  • Robot Building Drag Queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: WhamettNuht #1457
« Reply #1047 on: October 19, 2019, 05:48:55 AM »
The wheel technique is good for actually making wheels that don't come up as spinners, but the thing about using wheels with weapons is that while the weapon is now indestructable, it no longer gets classed as a weapon and a wheel. I have tried this with a full body spinner, and it turned out when the shell was mounted to a wheel, if the bot hit anything the game thinks that it's wheels are taking damage and the robot will end up hurting itself in the process.
Damn I should probably put something fancy in this bit huh?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1048 on: October 19, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »
The wheel technique is good for actually making wheels that don't come up as spinners, but the thing about using wheels with weapons is that while the weapon is now indestructable, it no longer gets classed as a weapon and a wheel. I have tried this with a full body spinner, and it turned out when the shell was mounted to a wheel, if the bot hit anything the game thinks that it's wheels are taking damage and the robot will end up hurting itself in the process.
Thats not the wheel issue, but its physics being janky af, if you make a flipper, and if it also reaches 0 hp, every flip after that will harm the bot itself

EDIT: Might have not read that properly

Offline CodeSilver23

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #1049 on: October 19, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »
Thats not the wheel issue, but its physics being janky af, if you make a flipper, and if it also reaches 0 hp, every flip after that will harm the bot itself

EDIT: Might have not read that properly
With the damage being stupid af, a good example of that would be Hell Spawn losing to Speed Demon. SD lost it’s weapon, but still won after HS gutted itself with its own weapon.
Accomplishments:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1050 on: October 19, 2019, 11:08:53 AM »
Okay so wheel does nothing, if a component is attached on a wheel that is attached on an axle, the part will fall off

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1051 on: October 20, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »
Here's the Panic Attack I'm having problems with. (Mentioned on the game page.)
I've left the srimech on just one gearbox so you can see the difference between that and the totally limp forks.
Stuff I Done Competed In:

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1052 on: October 21, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »
I've left the srimech on just one gearbox so you can see the difference between that and the totally limp forks.

Taking a look at Panic Attack now.  I have set the gear ratios to be the same, and I see that the srimech rotates quickly, while the forks rotate more slowly.

Are you using the same motors for all of the actuators?  The same motors with the same gearboxes experiencing the same load should rotate at the same speed.  Any speed difference would be due to a difference in load.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1053 on: October 21, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »

Taking a look at Panic Attack now.  I have set the gear ratios to be the same, and I see that the srimech rotates quickly, while the forks rotate more slowly.

Are you using the same motors for all of the actuators?  The same motors with the same gearboxes experiencing the same load should rotate at the same speed.  Any speed difference would be due to a difference in load.

Yeah, using Ampflow A40-300s on both. Even if I set the ratios on the double gearbox to add up to the same as the single gearbox (10-1 + 10-1 compared to 10-0.1) the double gearbox forks have more difficulty moving than the single, though because at that setting they move just as fast as the single box they have less time to show it and don't manage to drop much.

Based on taking the limp forks into battle and watching when they drop, it seems to happen whenever the extra load on the forks (the opponent) changes position on the forks, such as when they maneuver to attempt to escape.
As soon as the other bot slides even slightly - and the part of them in contact with the forks changes - the forks drop like their gearboxes became hinges.

Since I sent you the file, I've tried also putting the srimech on 2 gearboxes, and the same thing happens. As soon as anything in contact with the srimech moves, it drops.

Offline CyarSkirata

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1054 on: October 21, 2019, 07:32:46 PM »
Just now, I tipped the bot upside down in the workshop and went to the test area.

Both the forks and the srimech with double gearboxes are perfectly capable of effortlessly lifting the robot's entire weight. But something interesting happened when I lifted it on the forks then the srimech.
The srimech moved right up until the point that the front end of it hit the floor. At that point it went limp.

So it seems the actual cause of the sudden loss of strength might be if any kind of shock runs through the machine. Which might explain why they also go limp when I try to move them while the robot is moving at all.

EDIT: It just occurred to me, are you certain the two things moved at significantly different speeds when they were set to be equivalent? The forks have further to move.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1055 on: October 22, 2019, 06:54:59 AM »
EDIT: It just occurred to me, are you certain the two things moved at significantly different speeds when they were set to be equivalent? The forks have further to move.
Depends on weight too i guess

Offline Saroder

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1056 on: October 26, 2019, 09:25:42 AM »
Kix and CodeSilver23, thank you for your answers guys (Sorry mine is a lil bit late...)
But... you missed the main point that would block most of new testers...

When you unpack the september 17's build the "C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Nerd Island Studios LLC\Robot Rumble 2.0\Robots" folder doesn't exist AND while you don't create it by yourself you can't see the built-in bots and can't start any battle !

For example, try renaming your folder (as "...\Robots.bak" for example), run the game and you'll fast see what I mean. It looks like actually nothing in the game create the folder...

I'm (and you are certainly too) the kind of guys searching the Web and not giving up so fast when it comes to get something interesting working... But at first it's a bit disappointing and some people would have given up the testing of this game deleting the folder thinking it's really too early in the alpha...

Offline cjbruce

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1057 on: October 26, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
Kix and CodeSilver23, thank you for your answers guys (Sorry mine is a lil bit late...)
But... you missed the main point that would block most of new testers...

When you unpack the september 17's build the "C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Nerd Island Studios LLC\Robot Rumble 2.0\Robots" folder doesn't exist AND while you don't create it by yourself you can't see the built-in bots and can't start any battle !

For example, try renaming your folder (as "...\Robots.bak" for example), run the game and you'll fast see what I mean. It looks like actually nothing in the game create the folder...

I'm (and you are certainly too) the kind of guys searching the Web and not giving up so fast when it comes to get something interesting working... But at first it's a bit disappointing and some people would have given up the testing of this game deleting the folder thinking it's really too early in the alpha...

Sorry for the confusion.  That folder is only used to store user-made robots.  The prebuilt robots are packaged up as part of the .exe file.  They weren’t built using the in-game robot workshop.

Offline jackster96

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1058 on: October 26, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »
Amazing work with the game so far. Huge progress from when i last played it. Noticed that the robots when immobile and upside down seem to continuously slide around will this be getting fixed at some-point and how is the progress going for the reworked damage system going?
Hobbies; table tennis, archery, pool, gaming pc and xbox.

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1059 on: October 26, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »
Noticed that the robots when immobile and upside down seem to continuously slide around
I can't remember if I mentioned this already but the same goes for things like horizontal discs, you break one off and it goes sliding across the arena like a slow-motion hockey puck. I'm certain that one time I attacked a broken-off disc and it dealt damage to my opponent, but I haven't been able to replicate it so maybe I was mistaken.
My DSL Showcase