Author Topic: Team Scrap Daddy and Booing  (Read 2737 times)

Offline qwertythe300th

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • /r/Battlebots Moderator, and well thats about it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Team Scrap Daddy and Booing
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
I have all season 2 Battlebots episodes and noticed that every time Scrap Daddy came out to fight they got boo'ed. Any Idea?
Lone Star Domination.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Team Scrap Daddy and Booing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:41 PM »
The original scrap daddy machines sucked hard. Probably why.

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
I got excited when I saw the thread title and thought Scrap Daddy was making real robots now.

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:05:20 AM »
It was all added in post. Scrap Daddy's robots were crap, but they were relatively decent designs. They sank easily and took a beating in their televised events (Ziggo destroyed the LW one and I think the middleweight lost 45-0 in its fight) so it was an easy "in" to make it appear like the robots were underdogs or disliked in the event. The heavyweight Scrap Daddy lost to Frenzy because its weapon fell off and I believe the SHW version was pitted against one of Todd Mendenhall's robots and all that guy does is build things with stupid amounts of torque (there was a brief shot in the season two opener episode of the SHW Scrap Daddy being slammed into the wall and flipped over).

The Scrap Daddy team does not demonstrate an adverse reaction when they're announced in the rumbles or fights because they were not reacting to booing, they were reacting to cheering... albeit likely quieter/shorter cheering. In the heavyweight rumble Scrap Daddy's saw blade was able to tear off parts of MOE's side panels and such; the bots weren't completely crap. Both the lightweight and middleweight Scrap Daddy robots from season two won one fight each, placing them in the TV brackets. You might also recall Scrap Daddy's fight with Wedge of Doom in the fifth season where he clearly should have won but still lost because the producers had spent such a long time (4 seasons by that point) painting their creations as trash.
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
Well Scrap Daddy LW only beat Green Dragon because a wheel fell off, and the somewhat impressive damage done to MOE was mainly because they decided to enter only the fiberglass chassis, so the blade was knocking around a thin fiberglass box more than an actual 220lb robot. they were still half decent robots, just saying their prowess wasn't as impressive as it seems.

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
It's cool how they improved in the later seasons. Scrap Daddy Surplus actually managed to beat YU812 in BattleBots Season 5.

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
Well Scrap Daddy LW only beat Green Dragon because a wheel fell off, and the somewhat impressive damage done to MOE was mainly because they decided to enter only the fiberglass chassis, so the blade was knocking around a thin fiberglass box more than an actual 220lb robot. they were still half decent robots, just saying their prowess wasn't as impressive as it seems.

I should phrase that better: When compared to other lower-tier robots, Scrap Daddy was not the worst in the league. They were just easier to make fun of because in their televised events they were disproportionally outmatched.

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:27:10 PM »

I should phrase that better: When compared to other lower-tier robots, Scrap Daddy was not the worst in the league. They were just easier to make fun of because in their televised events they were disproportionally outmatched.
HOLY CRAP IT'S RADIOFSOFTWARE! :eek:

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
I like that I had to post in here twice for you to recognize me. :P

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
Your BattleBots AI pack is the thing that made me discover RA2. Are you staying?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »
hm?

RFS never made a BattleBots AI pack dude, that was AceUplink.

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 04:34:59 PM »
 :facepalm:
I need to get my facts straight.
Nonetheless, it's great to see RadioFSoftware on this forum once again.
Seems like old members are coming back.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
Seems like old members are coming back.

If I had £1 for every time I've read this on the forum, I'd have considerably more £1's than I currently do.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »
Your BattleBots AI pack is the thing that made me discover RA2. Are you staying?

AceUplink made the BB AI Pack. I had a hand in testing it, but I was removed from the readme file because by that point I had been kicked off of staff and banned (I think). I did make an AI pack though. It was named after me and notable for other reasons. :P

I would like to stay. I usually end up clashing with some random ghost from my past every time I come here, though, which discourages me from being a member of the community. I feel like I get celebrated for things here that I have tried very -- very -- hard to move on from and it winds up causing trouble. To be honest I can't wrap my mind around the fact that it's been two years since the last time I was here. It's believable when I take a look back at the past 2 years of my life (which were literally the worst ever) but I have a hard time actually processing the gap. I feel like I was robbed out of a year and a half or so of my life recently, and I don't just mean that as something only applicable to GTM.

Look at me crying and complaining. The more things change the more things stay the same. [Insert some random pseudo-depressing wax about me feeling regret toward doing the RA2 community a disservice and not being a decent person while I was here.]

edit: It's been two years but I am still not changing my avatar or signature. I like them too much.

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »

AceUplink made the BB AI Pack. I had a hand in testing it, but I was removed from the readme file because by that point I had been kicked off of staff and banned (I think). I did make an AI pack though. It was named after me and notable for other reasons. :P

I would like to stay. I usually end up clashing with some random ghost from my past every time I come here, though, which discourages me from being a member of the community. I feel like I get celebrated for things here that I have tried very -- very -- hard to move on from and it winds up causing trouble. To be honest I can't wrap my mind around the fact that it's been two years since the last time I was here. It's believable when I take a look back at the past 2 years of my life (which were literally the worst ever) but I have a hard time actually processing the gap. I feel like I was robbed out of a year and a half or so of my life recently, and I don't just mean that as something only applicable to GTM.

Look at me crying and complaining. The more things change the more things stay the same. [Insert some random pseudo-depressing wax about me feeling regret toward doing the RA2 community a disservice and not being a decent person while I was here.]
Wow, I didn't know about that. Well, it's never too late to start over from whatever past that may haunt us. I had a mental breakdown in fifth grade that left me somewhat psychotic for the rest of the school year. I don't think much about it now, and that really helps.
Anyways, nice too see you again, as said before.
(LOL, this actually went WAY off topic).

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
Nah, part of the issue is me. I get pissy sometimes that people still get angry over years-old nonsense that should be over and done with and then I end up fueling the fire because I adopt a very "wow, really?" response to it. In fact, just by mentioning my cynicism I've already guaranteed myself to run into someone that wants to settle something with me. I've been making better use of the forum's Ignore feature though so I hope I'm in the clear.

ANYWAYS HOW ABOUT THAT SCRAP DADDY

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »
It actually got off topic when I noticed your presence and posted my reaction.

AND AS FOR 'DEM SCAP DADDIES, THEY'RE PRETTY INNOVATIVE AND WHAT NOT! :smile:

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
I always liked Surplus.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 06:21:20 PM »
So, are you planning on making a showcase?
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline RFS

• Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:17 PM »
So, are you planning on making a showcase?

I haven't really made any new robots in a very long time. The showcases I do have are just pictures of old bots that survived multiple HDD crashes and failures. I have RA2 installed on my personal computer at home but I don't really play very many PC games anymore unfortunately. Just don't have the time while I am getting caught up on backlogged work. :(