Author Topic: Robotics Questions MEGATHREAD  (Read 44561 times)

Offline Virus Bomb

Re: Robotics Questions MEGATHREAD
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
Do Megabyte and Brutality still compete?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
I think the last time they competed was the April 2009 BattleBots competition, but I'm not sure.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »
Do Megabyte and Brutality still compete?

Megabytes is done competing.  Brutality's builder still hangs out on the rfl forum and facebook page but has been occupied with other robotic projects.

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
How did Dr. Inferno Jr's weapons work?

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
What do you mean exactly?  They were standard power tool motors.

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
But how did it use them? It would just ram other robots.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
because its pushing power was better than its weaponry.

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
But how did it use them? It would just ram other robots.

Still don't get your question.  The other robot would ride up on the wedge and get scratched by the weapons?

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »
Oh, now I get it.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 12:53:24 AM »
Who currently owns Vlad II?

Offline SKBT

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »
Robogames/Combots owns VladII

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 06:05:31 AM »
I know it's kind of irrelevant, but I've always wondered - the Growler jaw noises. Were they added in after? XD
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
Oh I had to think hard about this one. When I was there I am pretty sure I heard growling noises so yes. But this was nearly 10 years ago so my memory is a bit sketchy on it.

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
Oh I had to think hard about this one. When I was there I am pretty sure I heard growling noises so yes. But this was nearly 10 years ago so my memory is a bit sketchy on it.

Do you hsve any cool stories or interesting anecdotes about being at Robot Wars?

Team 9

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
i was once present at the first heat of series 5. my memory is fragmented, but it was awesome.

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »

Do you have any cool stories or interesting anecdotes about being at Robot Wars?

God this is like skype all over again. I'll just list off whatever I can remember and you can judge for yourself

-There was another robot supposed to be in the Middleweight Final of Series 7. It was called Voodoo Child and made by the same guy who created Broadsword. However it never competed due to hideous exposed wiring and looking even more flimsy than it's predecessor. I don't think it even got through the door.
-Jayne Middlemiss made my sister cry. Purely because she wasn't Phillipa Forrester. Me and my father were happy talking to her, but my sister wasn't for some reason. Even though she had done the whole interview thing a year earlier for Extreme 2. I remember her saying to my father "I'm sorry! I'm making your children cry!". This is also probably the reason there are no pre-battle interviews for that match.
-The Typhoon guys were very nice. Contrary to popular opinion.
-The TAN guys were very nice aswell. So I might be slightly skewed when I say it's one of my favourite robots.
-In the pits, over the 2 times we were there, we were stationed near; Pussycat, Typhoon, Barborous 2 'n' a bit, Thermidor 2, Behemoth, TAN and possibly Dantomkia.
-Those remote control booths were like sodding ovens.
-I remember being smug because Phoenix (our second robot) was shaped in such a way Growler couldn't bite it. So instead it nearly got launched out by the floor flipper.
-At qualifying (Yes a middleweight bot had to do that, I think my father may have been trying to pass it off as a underweight heavy though.) I remember we faced a robot that was not dissimilar to Series 3 robot Armour Geddon. I also remember seeing Shove and thinking it was the new house robot to be announced next series. And seeing The Mouse on a static display and wondering what the heck it was. I got to sit next to TerrorHurtz though and that was very cool.

I'll edit in stuff if I remember anymore. Please note this is from years ago so my memory is a bit rusty.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
Yay for more Robot Wars info!

Do you know anything else about Voodoo Child aside from it not competing?

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 06:12:07 PM »

Do you have any cool stories or interesting anecdotes about being at Robot Wars?

God this is like skype all over again. I'll just list off whatever I can remember and you can judge for yourself

-There was another robot supposed to be in the Middleweight Final of Series 7. It was called Voodoo Child and made by the same guy who created Broadsword. However it never competed due to hideous exposed wiring and looking even more flimsy than it's predecessor. I don't think it even got through the door.
-Jayne Middlemiss made my sister cry. Purely because she wasn't Phillipa Forrester. Me and my father were happy talking to her, but my sister wasn't for some reason. Even though she had done the whole interview thing a year earlier for Extreme 2. I remember her saying to my father "I'm sorry! I'm making your children cry!". This is also probably the reason there are no pre-battle interviews for that match.
-The Typhoon guys were very nice. Contrary to popular opinion.
-The TAN guys were very nice aswell. So I might be slightly skewed when I say it's one of my favourite robots.
-In the pits, over the 2 times we were there, we were stationed near; Pussycat, Typhoon, Barborous 2 'n' a bit, Thermidor 2, Behemoth, TAN and possibly Dantomkia.
-Those remote control booths were like sodding ovens.
-I remember being smug because Phoenix (our second robot) was shaped in such a way Growler couldn't bite it. So instead it nearly got launched out by the floor flipper.
-At qualifying (Yes a middleweight bot had to do that, I think my father may have been trying to pass it off as a underweight heavy though.) I remember we faced a robot that was not dissimilar to Series 3 robot Armour Geddon. I also remember seeing Shove and thinking it was the new house robot to be announced next series. And seeing The Mouse on a static display and wondering what the heck it was. I got to sit next to TerrorHurtz though and that was very cool.

I'll edit in stuff if I remember anymore. Please note this is from years ago so my memory is a bit rusty.

Awesome!  I do appreciate the chance to pick your brain, as someone who never got the opportunity to see Robot Wars in-studio, this is all fascinating.  Is there anything else interesting about Phoenix or Malc that we wouldn't know from watching their TV appearances?

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 08:29:40 PM »
Was there an episode of Robot Wars where Graham Bone proposed to Hazel Heslop on camera?

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »
Do you remember what series it might have been?  Or just any vague description of what was going on in said episode?  I don't recall any such thing, I just assumed it happened some time between Extreme 2 and S7.