Author Topic: Robotics Questions MEGATHREAD  (Read 44564 times)

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
Re: Robotics Questions MEGATHREAD
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2013, 03:24:01 PM »
What would be the easiest/cheapest way into robot combat? Im in the uk

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
Robots Live! and Robot Wars (Roaming Robots) tour the UK. Well, they tour England but sometimes get lost and go to Swansea and Edinburgh.

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
Robots Live! and Robot Wars (Roaming Robots) tour the UK. Well, they tour England but sometimes get lost and go to Swansea and Edinburgh.
I mean, build a robot. Ive been to those events xD

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »
That depends on your location.
The cheapest way would probably be a feather weight wedge. I would recommend:
Drive: A pair of Robochallenge 12volt drill motors. I'm not from the UK, but this seems to be the most popular drive motor.
Wheels: Again, Robochallenge wheels, which are pre-made with the threads required.
ESC: A pair of BotBitz 85amp EScheaps. If you're feeling daring, you could hack the ESCs your self, but it's risky.
Radio: Hobbyking HK-T6A. Decent radio, but I would recommend the link cable to add mixing and the likes.
Battery: A pair of 7.2volt NIMH sticks. Lithium batteries are preferred, but they burst into flame if miss handled
Charger: Turnigy ACCUCELL-6. Needs a power supply, but you can use a computer supply if crafty.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
Just a note playzooki I wouldn't 100% trust ribbs, most of his stuff he takes straight from ask aaron, which is kind of outdated.

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »
Drive: A pair of Robochallenge 12volt drill motors. I'm not from the UK, but this seems to be the most popular drive motor.
Wheels: Again, Robochallenge wheels, which are pre-made with the threads required.
ESC: A pair of BotBitz 85amp EScheaps. If you're feeling daring, you could hack the ESCs your self, but it's risky.
Radio: Hobbyking HK-T6A. Decent radio, but I would recommend the link cable to add mixing and the likes.
Battery: A pair of 7.2volt NIMH sticks. Lithium batteries are preferred, but they burst into flame if miss handled
Charger: Turnigy ACCUCELL-6. Needs a power supply, but you can use a computer supply if crafty.
But im using my computah supply now!  :dumb)

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
Just a note playzooki I wouldn't 100% trust ribbs, most of his stuff he takes straight from ask aaron, which is kind of outdated.
I'm using my own judgement here, usually I hit bulls-eyes, but when I miss, I somehow hit the car behind me.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »
here:

http://titantechindustries.com/kits.html

personally, i wouldn't use slot aluminum and t-nuts for a frame. too much potential to shift and for stuff to slide out.

that charger sucks. i had one and it charges way too slowly for my liking.

i love the vextrollers. i should have run them in robo-rooter at botblast.

the fingertech viper kit is similar with differences being they give you tinyesc's, set it up to run off a 9v battery and have a pre-built frame that may or may not be useful depending on what you want to do.

kitbots.com has some nice 3lb kits. the "weta" kits consistently win events.

ESC: A pair of BotBitz 85amp EScheaps. If you're feeling daring, you could hack the ESCs your self, but it's risky. (if you know how to program, go for it. heres a link to how otherwise just buy it from botbitz.-skbt)
Charger: Turnigy ACCUCELL-6. Needs a power supply, but you can use a computer supply if crafty. (you just need to  buy one on ebay that matches the input specs- skbt)

in a 30lb wedge, i would run at 5s lipo or 18v nimh and 4" or 5" wheels with 4 drill motor drive. anything less will be slow for a wedge.

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
Gah, that TTI Wedge beat me at bot blast. I'll get him next year!

i love the vextrollers. i should have run them in robo-rooter at botblast.

Relevant: http://thevariableconstant.blogspot.com/2013/05/thrifty-roboting-vex-motor-controller-29.html

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2013, 06:41:25 AM »
I might try that, Ribbs. Has anybody from the uk got amy suggestions?

Offline Tweedy

• Tweedy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2013, 07:28:29 AM »
Drill motor drive is always a good starting point but if you want to spend a bit more money get some gimson GR02's, botbitz85's have been proven to be good esc's for the price and be able to stand up to most things thrown at them, I can't vouch for the charger ribbs suggested but I have an Imax B6 to charge the lipo in minor tom but it can also do nihms, battery wise 12v will run the drills fine but if you want a but more punch to your motors you can go 18v which does make them run faster but increase the likelihood of stripping gears. HDPE is a good material to work with, it's easy to work, relatively cheap and quite tough if you get it thick enough. If you plan on going to the champs though wear resistant steel like hardox is the armour of choice there because of the spinners.

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
Thanks! I dont plan on going to the champs, just the events near me

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »
Thanks!

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »
Are battle antz allowed to compete with the antweights at Roaming robots?

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
They're 100 grams overweight, if you can figure out how to lighten them, then yes.

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »

I believe they are allowed.

Offline Tweedy

• Tweedy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »
They are allowed as the weight and size limit aren't enforced at RR events so anything of reasonable size and weight are allowed.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2013, 06:50:35 PM »
What kind of metal do you guys use for antweight spinner weapons? I was toying with the idea of a custom made one from Kitbots but if I could just get a piece of metal cut and stuff it'd probably be cheaper.

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »
What kind of metal do you guys use for antweight spinner weapons? I was toying with the idea of a custom made one from Kitbots but if I could just get a piece of metal cut and stuff it'd probably be cheaper.
A single piece of machined steel, or an aluminum main body with steel impactors.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »

4130 or 4140. robo-rooter's disk is .25" 4140. if i was designing an disk or bar antweight i'd do .125" thick 4140. if i was doing a drum, i'd do something like the kitbots beater with 3/8" 7075 and 10-24 capscrew teeth.

also its cheaper to build 3lb robots

it costs $40 for two 1000rpm motors and two vextrollers  vs the $110 for two tinyesc's and sparks