Author Topic: Robotics General Discussion Thread  (Read 31205 times)

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robotics General Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
I've noticed that, just my hammer arm was like $150 to do which I was expecting, but having a ton of frame members cut out of 3/8" was ~130 or somesuch, which is cheap!

it seems like if you stay below 1/2" the price is pretty manageable.

Offline MikeNCR

• Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »
I've noticed that, just my hammer arm was like $150 to do which I was expecting, but having a ton of frame members cut out of 3/8" was ~130 or somesuch, which is cheap!

A huge, huge part of the initial waterjet cost is the setup which is why both parts ended up being about the same price. The big trick with waterjetting is to make as many parts as you can out of the same material and thickness so you're only paying the setup portion of the cost once for all of the parts instead of once per part.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2015, 07:27:04 PM »

A huge, huge part of the initial waterjet cost is the setup which is why both parts ended up being about the same price. The big trick with waterjetting is to make as many parts as you can out of the same material and thickness so you're only paying the setup portion of the cost once for all of the parts instead of once per part.

I know that applies to regular machining (I know what i'm doing here) but that isn't necessarily true for waterjet as its 2D and a lot of the settings you need to input can be pre-set or referred to a chart or table (there's only so many material and thicknesses you're cutting here)
Don't get me wrong, its a pain in the ass, but it isn't facing all 6 sides of a block of metal and setting up a cnc by any stretch of the imagination.  You're paying about 60 bucks for them to setup the machine for you, sure thats fine.

that being said their prices are /really/ reasonable for large frame members and stuff,  I was really impressed at what my frame might cost me (especially since they are providing the metal)  I'd really appreciate an option of "get this sh** to me whenever you like for cheaper" where they could stuff my stuff in on the edge of someone elses work when they happen to be doing that material or something.  But thats me being picky, i'll likely end up machining the hammer arm myself and doing it poorly since my mill only has a 11" or so travel.

I'm probably going to use them for the frame, which will take some redesigning since i was planning on using 2" .125wall square tubing for the drive pods and spine, with waterjet i need to end tap so its going to have to be at least .375 thick

Offline Tweedy

• Rep: 3
  • Tweedy
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »

Started gathering the parts for a couple of new things yesterday, 25mm silver steel for a feather and 10mm for a beetle, both acquired through work which was handy.
Terminus is there for scale.

Offline R1885

• Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2015, 03:58:36 PM »

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »
Still think it's pretty snazzy, honestly.

Offline Tashic

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
If is anything like my IF bot, it won't be that bad, a.k.a. BORING!
Needless to say that I want the chaos.

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2015, 03:26:58 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTLEBOT-Killer-Robot-Chassis-Laser-Cut-Steel-/111788983950?hash=item1a0724868e
So, uh, this popped up. If you want to waste your money get this thing combat ready, I'd like to see it.

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »
1500?  Hopefully, they'll realize that metal alone ain't worth that and relist it for cheaper

Offline R1885

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »
Now Hobbyking wants our business.