Author Topic: Robotics General Discussion Thread  (Read 31209 times)

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robotics General Discussion Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
On an unrelated note my sisters kid saw battlebots and heard from them that I used to do that, now he's all in frenzy mode so I'll be dragging him out to bot bash in a few weeks.
Depending on commitment from him I might be making bots again at some point in the near future.

It would be cool to see a mini-DoS show up at Moto this year.

I'm not seeing that on builders db?  It seems like east coast events are limited to like 6 pounders where i'd rather play around the 12-30 pound limit where i'm not doing crap like drilling holes in zipties to make weight, and the number of 1-6 pounders that are just a motor with a ridicilous weapon is a little scary when you can't fit enough armor in that weight limit to protect your expensive stuff
I'm also at a pretty large disadvantage it seems since tech (like cheap speed controllers and batteries now, wat?) seems to have advanced quite a bit but there's no delphi forums hoedown to really troll for newer information and I dont really know a ton anymore.

I /do/ still have my 60lber in the basement but those SLA's are looking ripe, lol.

Offline MikeNCR

• Rep: 11
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »
On an unrelated note my sisters kid saw battlebots and heard from them that I used to do that, now he's all in frenzy mode so I'll be dragging him out to bot bash in a few weeks.
Depending on commitment from him I might be making bots again at some point in the near future.

It would be cool to see a mini-DoS show up at Moto this year.

I'm not seeing that on builders db?  It seems like east coast events are limited to like 6 pounders where i'd rather play around the 12-30 pound limit where i'm not doing crap like drilling holes in zipties to make weight, and the number of 1-6 pounders that are just a motor with a ridicilous weapon is a little scary when you can't fit enough armor in that weight limit to protect your expensive stuff
I'm also at a pretty large disadvantage it seems since tech (like cheap speed controllers and batteries now, wat?) seems to have advanced quite a bit but there's no delphi forums hoedown to really troll for newer information and I dont really know a ton anymore.

I /do/ still have my 60lber in the basement but those SLA's are looking ripe, lol.

Registration isn't up on BuildersDB for Moto yet, here's the most recent Moto- http://www.buildersdb.com/view_bots.asp?eventid=395

NERC's also putting on an event in Philadelphia in the fall- http://www.buildersdb.com/eventdetail.asp?eventid=410

Mountains of event video at: https://www.youtube.com/user/mikencr/playlists

As far as communities go, there's http://sparc.tools/forum/index.php and https://www.facebook.com/groups/RobotCombat/

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »

You mean Bot Blast?

Aw man this year's gonna be amazing

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2015, 07:48:23 AM »
You mean Bot Blast?

Yeah thats the one
I'm thinking of something DOS-ish, a greenspan style spinner for the 30lb sportsmans, we'll just make two frames so I'll make something for the 30lb big boys club ;)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »
Do you still have DoS? You should bring some bits of it for display!

Offline MikeNCR

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »
You mean Bot Blast?

Yeah thats the one
I'm thinking of something DOS-ish, a greenspan style spinner for the 30lb sportsmans, we'll just make two frames so I'll make something for the 30lb big boys club ;)

Here's the relevant rule if you go sportsman with a spinny thing-

Limitations on spinning weapons
All devices rotating more than 360 degrees must not exceed 400 rpm. Weapon rpm will be measured by tachometer prior to the start of the event. To remain within the spirit of this class, you should not attempt to create the most destructive spinning weapon possible under the rpm limit. Specific weapons of sufficiently high mass or moment of inertia (MOI) may be limited to lower rpm or disallowed by officials if they deem the weapon to be too destructive. Officials may require submission of specifications including motor, voltage, gearing ratio, weapon weight and dimensions prior to the event.

However, specific weapons of very low mass or very low moment of inertia (MOI) may be allowed at a higher rpm. The intent of said weapons should NOT be to deliver large kinetic hits. But rather cutting, drilling, scraping, ect.

All weapons operating above the 400 rpm limit MUST be submitted to the NERC board for approval during registration. If you have any questions about the legality of a weapon you can read or post on the NERC Delphi Forumn here:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/CJRC/messages?msg=2422.1

or email NERC: robotconflict@gmail.com

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »

DoS?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »

well the disk is ****ed but i really should have kept it, but I still have a lot of the frame and baseplate, the rest was gutted for money :)

"The plan" which I've just concocted would probably be building two heavily armored frames that we could strap different weapons into, so we could swap parts and such.  I think a greenspan style rotary flail could be effective, since honestly it doesn't give a sh** how much energy its holding, if @400rpm it can dent whatever material its hitting, its going to make a lot of noise and sparks.  If building hinges into your spinning disk is "building for maximium destructive power under the rpm limit" i'll be damned :)

We'll see, I'm in a weird place since I basically know all there is to know about the /mechanics/ of exactly how I want to build exactly what I want to build, I just have no idea anymore about the motors, speed controllers, radios, ect. anymore.
And what the hell is with brushless motors, what kind of crack child doesn't list their motors by actual energy output? how the hell are you supposed to know anything? lol

Offline MikeNCR

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »

well the disk is ****ed but i really should have kept it, but I still have a lot of the frame and baseplate, the rest was gutted for money :)

"The plan" which I've just concocted would probably be building two heavily armored frames that we could strap different weapons into, so we could swap parts and such.  I think a greenspan style rotary flail could be effective, since honestly it doesn't give a sh** how much energy its holding, if @400rpm it can dent whatever material its hitting, its going to make a lot of noise and sparks.  If building hinges into your spinning disk is "building for maximium destructive power under the rpm limit" i'll be damned :)

We'll see, I'm in a weird place since I basically know all there is to know about the /mechanics/ of exactly how I want to build exactly what I want to build, I just have no idea anymore about the motors, speed controllers, radios, ect. anymore.
And what the hell is with brushless motors, what kind of crack child doesn't list their motors by actual energy output? how the hell are you supposed to know anything? lol

As a NERC officer, I'd call a 400rpm Greenspan style rotary flail totally legit for the Sportsman class. As far as motors/gearboxes, the e0designs.com DeWut is very good. I'm also a fan of the Magnum775 from Robot Power, and a lot of people like the various banebots options. ESC wise I use the Ragebridge (v2 coming soon) in my 30's wherever possible. There's also BotBitz esc's and the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL that have been used with a lot of success. On radio gear, I use a Spectrum DX6i and one of the OrangeRX variants. (R410X and R615x)

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »
While I appreciate the discussion going on here, I would like to point you gentlemen in the direction of the real robotics section, just for the sake of keeping this thread on topic.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »
While I appreciate the discussion going on here, I would like to point you gentlemen in the direction of the real robotics section, just for the sake of keeping this thread on topic.

NEVER!
also you can split the topic into a new topic
Also also: i'll be wearing my Buffalo Warmachine jersey if any of you guys track me down out there

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2015, 03:26:53 PM »

NEVER!
also you can split the topic into a new topic
Also also: i'll be wearing my Buffalo Warmachine jersey if any of you guys track me down out there

Just because we can doesn't mean we have to. ;)

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »
I did it anyway. ;)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2015, 08:35:32 AM »
As a NERC officer, I'd call a 400rpm Greenspan style rotary flail totally legit for the Sportsman class. As far as motors/gearboxes, the e0designs.com DeWut is very good. I'm also a fan of the Magnum775 from Robot Power, and a lot of people like the various banebots options. ESC wise I use the Ragebridge (v2 coming soon) in my 30's wherever possible. There's also BotBitz esc's and the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL that have been used with a lot of success. On radio gear, I use a Spectrum DX6i and one of the OrangeRX variants. (R410X and R615x)

We'll see, I'll be putting up my LW frame/weapons a MC1-HV and some misc stuff on ebay in the next week or so for funding this project, august is going to be tight

I'm eying Bitzbots 75amp esc's and the magnnum 775 seems reasonable (they run jensons right?)
Still poking around for /my/ weapon setup, his will probably be another 775 with appropriate belting because i'm lazy and it saves having to buy spares specifically for that

Offline R1885

• Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:32 PM »
They claim these are for rock crawlers, but we all know who they're really selling these too.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »
Woah. That is cheap as hell for any gearmotor. Lemme know how they work out if you're getting them.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2015, 10:23:46 PM »
Ordered everything for the 30lber this afternoon (well just about)

Cutting more corners than I would like, but need to make it in time for franklin

Unfortunately design is outstripping means right now as mechanically I dont' have access to a lot of machinery I need to make this thing /ridiculous/  So against my better judgement and obsession with razors edge performance i'm cutting corners to get this thing ready in time.

Hopefully by event #2 I'll have access to what I need to go from "hey that thing is pretty neat" to "what the hell, dude"

If someone has waterjet/laser cutter/something access and/or can cut titanium shafting without a hacksaw and can hook a brother up i'd appreciate it :p

Yeah, thats going in it

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2015, 09:58:08 AM »
Yeah i've seen them, its still in excess of $100 per part for something reasonably simple, and it isn't clear on their quote bot how much of their price is material and how much is labor but i've screwed around with their submission tool and it appears that part complexity has very little to do with the cost, I think its more an option if I want to go all in with the waterjet thing and fill every square inch of a sheet, not so much for a few misc parts.  Right now i'm doing cust cutting measures like making the side panels out of 2" square tubing that i'll hollow out parts of to make integral wheelguards and such when I could just as easily have the whole thing waterjet cut.

But really my big problem is my 70+ year old lathe took a dump which has really backlogged the work I could have done before the order.

We'll see, I have a few ebay auctions out there that if they sell in a few days it may be an option, the HPA tank and a few misc parts should be in tomorrow or weds so I can verify the exact dimensions of the damn things, then I can make my metal orders.  The tough part of this bot is the hpa system is so huge and weirdly shaped it kind of decides the shape of every other part so I just have a roughed out design, wheelpods, and a pretty good idea of the layout.  Hell, i'm not even sure where the front wheels are going because I dont know the length of the bottle+regulator+street elbow i'm going to need.

The good part about it is I can keep going over the design until parts show up and I need to commit, its still killing me that the only way to fit that cylinder in is to put it under the hammer which costs me some profile space, I really wanted a low to the ground "judge" ish design with more than 180 degrees hammer range :(  Ruin2 will probably go 2 lower profile bottles and some longer cylinders with bigger cams on the hammer shaft to make up for the changes.
ruin cad.jpg