Poll

Which robot is going to win Robot Wars 2016?

Apollo
Beast
Behemoth
Big Nipper
Bonk!
Carbide
Chimera
Chompalot
Crazy Coupe 88
Dantomkia
Disconstructor
Draven
Eruption
Foxic
Gabriel
Glitterbomb
Infernal Contraption
Ironside 3
Kan-Opener
Kill-E Crank-E
King B Remix
MR Speed Squared
Nuts
Or Te
Overdozer
PP3D
Pulsar
Razer
Sabretooth
Shockwave
Storm 2
Supernova
Sweeney Todd
Terror Turtle
Terrorhurtz
The General
Thermidor 2
Thor
Tough As Nails
TR2

Author Topic: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 30673 times)

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2016, 03:42:18 PM »
Oh so they still have the
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline RTC

• Antweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Owen Wilson on Ritalin and 'Roids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
Still don't understand why Storm 2 have this bad rep. Brute force is something to be admired, especially the way they walloped Steel Avenger out of the arena completely.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »
Still don't understand why Storm 2 have this bad rep. Brute force is something to be admired, especially the way they walloped Steel Avenger out of the arena completely.

I didn't think they did? Unless they talked about it on the show.. I was watching while doing something on Teamspeak, might have missed a few lines.

Great episode though. I expected a classic just from seeing Storm and PP3D (as the successor to Typhoon) as well as seeing Eruption for the first time, but there was plenty to get excited about all round.

Offline RTC

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »

I didn't think they did? Unless they talked about it on the show.. I was watching while doing something on Teamspeak, might have missed a few lines.

Great episode though. I expected a classic just from seeing Storm and PP3D (as the successor to Typhoon) as well as seeing Eruption for the first time, but there was plenty to get excited about all round.

It seems to be lumped in the same category as Tornado as just "a box on wheels" amongst some fans. While I prefer Storm 2 to Tornado, I think both are unfair judgements, and that the brute power of the push is an amazing, and underappreciated ability.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »
Best episode yet. Great performance of storm 2 and apollo

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2016, 05:33:06 PM »
Really cool episode

also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »
Alright, time for the full post on today's episode, will write it a bit differently this time so people will hopefully not just overlook the big spoiler post:

I can safely confirm that this episode doesn't have
which I really liked, there were other issues that I had with the show, the teams however were amazing, so let's get those out of the way first:

Battle 1:

Battle 2:

Head to Head Battles:

Final:

Final Thoughts:
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »

It seems to be lumped in the same category as Tornado as just "a box on wheels" amongst some fans. While I prefer Storm 2 to Tornado, I think both are unfair judgements, and that the brute power of the push is an amazing, and underappreciated ability.

I agree, however in my opinion they relied far too much on it's brute strength; they probably should've tried some other weapons, especially for their last fight with Apollo. If the front hinged lifter didn't work the first time, it wouldn't likely work the second time.

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline jackster96

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2016, 06:35:36 PM »
Great episode, I like jp but he just doesn't seem to have 'it' anymore with his commentary may have been better getting someone else and giving it a fresh new commentary :/
Hobbies; table tennis, archery, pool, gaming pc and xbox.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »
For some reason they still believe that they have to act as if this is Series 7, you saw Dara and also JP mention it in this episode a few times. Honestly I'm disappointed at them by that(in general, this episode was great, but it's the competitors that made the episode while the producers only dragged it down for me) I rather wanted to see the opposite where they maybe apologize or say that Storm 2 were the true Series 7 winner.
You probably know what Mentorn did in Series 7, rigging battles to get Storm 2 out, check Storm2's wiki entry in the Robot Wars wiki for full info.

Dara and JP for a bit still sounded like it.

I agree, however in my opinion they relied far too much on it's brute strength; they probably should've tried some other weapons, especially for their last fight with Apollo. If the front hinged lifter didn't work the first time, it wouldn't likely work the second time.
It's mostly there to self right the bot so that the wedges aren't useless, Storm 2's main attack is still it's strenght and it did push bots around well enough, no real rams into the arena but that happens when other bots have good drive. It still did do well in it's first fight against Apollo and the team seemed happy with it's performance.

Really cool episode

Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2016, 07:49:55 PM »

bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2016, 03:59:05 AM »
I didn't mention Johnny Depp bot yet. It had this driving system razer has/had. Good thing I guess.
It weights 45kg..  about 1/3 of the max weight. Matildas flywheel is 35 kg... there is a difference of about 3 newborns in weight between that.
Canon fodder bots..  yay...

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2016, 06:19:39 AM »

I didn't mention Johnny Depp bot yet. It had this driving system razer has/had. Good thing I guess.
It weights 45kg..  about 1/3 of the max weight. Matildas flywheel is 35 kg... there is a difference of about 3 newborns in weight between that.
Canon fodder bots..  yay...

Yeah, that's really weird come to think of it. No need for this to be like the original series. There's surely other rookie choices that have bots weighing at least 80kg. At least they'd have the excuse of being built to the early season specs.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2016, 06:22:54 AM »
Well it looks like BBC iPlayer has blocked my VPN now.. anyone know anywhere else this can be watched?

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2016, 06:24:02 AM »
I hear Sir Killalot likes to provide people with robot combat entertainment, Joe.
//

Offline RTC

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2016, 06:25:05 AM »
Well it looks like BBC iPlayer has blocked my VPN now.. anyone know anywhere else this can be watched?

Someone on Reddit often uploads footage of just the fights about a day after the episode.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2016, 06:44:06 AM »
I hear Sir Killalot likes to provide people with robot combat entertainment, Joe.

[/crisis]

Thanks for the tip off Craig!

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:41 AM »
Robot Wars is officially back! its finally hitting its stride in both production and battles.. even JP's cheesy wheel jokes are back!

Didn't we have an OOTA before?

'Tildy was the only robot to score an OOTA thus far so Congrats to Eruption being the first competitor to do so.

On another note.. why in the head to heads do they put the teams in the same pod? is their a reason?

I mainly ask because it hampers strategy calls between team members..

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2016, 08:21:20 AM »
Probably to make post fight interviews quicker to sort out, really unsure of that myself.
//

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »
Robot Wars is officially back! its finally hitting its stride in both production and battles.. even JP's cheesy wheel jokes are back!

Didn't we have an OOTA before?

'Tildy was the only robot to score an OOTA thus far so Congrats to Eruption being the first competitor to do so.

On another note.. why in the head to heads do they put the teams in the same pod? is their a reason?

I mainly ask because it hampers strategy calls between team members..
I've thought about mentioning that as well, but it's easier for the post battle interviews. The pods are still on one side of the arena and not sideways from what I've seen, but they can't really walk to a middle of it because there isn't one.

I do know of a way to watch live but not how to watch it after it aired.
Tournament History:
Showcases: