Poll

Which robot is going to win Robot Wars 2016?

Apollo
Beast
Behemoth
Big Nipper
Bonk!
Carbide
Chimera
Chompalot
Crazy Coupe 88
Dantomkia
Disconstructor
Draven
Eruption
Foxic
Gabriel
Glitterbomb
Infernal Contraption
Ironside 3
Kan-Opener
Kill-E Crank-E
King B Remix
MR Speed Squared
Nuts
Or Te
Overdozer
PP3D
Pulsar
Razer
Sabretooth
Shockwave
Storm 2
Supernova
Sweeney Todd
Terror Turtle
Terrorhurtz
The General
Thermidor 2
Thor
Tough As Nails
TR2

Author Topic: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 30663 times)

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
Tournament History:

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
Is it just me or should i be reading razor instead of matilda (a) (no i haven't watched anything from the new ones)

Offline wakkydude

• The Discourse
  • Heavyweight
  • NotLikeThis NotLikeThis
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2016, 01:21:18 AM »
Guys: the flippers like TR2 were performing badly there because of the arena conditions. The extremely cold temperature means that some teams reported they had pneumatics problems - the temperature was also the source of some of Terrorhurtz's issues. It's something they really need to think about resolving for the second series - the robots will hopefully naturally be higher quality because people will have more than a couple of months at most to design and build.

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2016, 03:14:56 AM »
Guys: the flippers like TR2 were performing badly there because of the arena conditions. The extremely cold temperature means that some teams reported they had pneumatics problems - the temperature was also the source of some of Terrorhurtz's issues. It's something they really need to think about resolving for the second series - the robots will hopefully naturally be higher quality because people will have more than a couple of months at most to design and build.

Tournament History:

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2016, 04:35:16 AM »
DTK team are lovely and Mike entrusted them with her knowing they'd run her well.
It likely drives better with tail up for largely obvious reasoning.
Shane hit it for dramatic effect, don't get hung up on it. Didn't even put a dent in it.

And yeah. The cold. Oh wow the cold. I wore 3 layers on top and I was still freezing. Valves freezing up is why a lot of pneumatic weapons,  from thz to tr2, had issues.

Finally the Toxic 2 team didn't apply with that bot, not a lot extra to say there :p
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »
I always liked Mike from the old series but I thought the new DTK team were great entertainment myself.. driving could use some improvement though haha, DanTomKia is one of those robots you need to be pretty accurate with given the smaller setback arm..

Also, curious.. why was it so cold? is that to do with the weather? or the venue itself? does anyone know?

Offline RTC

• Antweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Owen Wilson on Ritalin and 'Roids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »
I always liked Mike from the old series but I thought the new DTK team were great entertainment myself.. driving could use some improvement though haha, DanTomKia is one of those robots you need to be pretty accurate with given the smaller setback arm..

Also, curious.. why was it so cold? is that to do with the weather? or the venue itself? does anyone know?

Glasgow. That is all.

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2016, 08:02:08 AM »
So i just watched the first episode of the 2016 version, and Razor again throws himself in while trying to put another bot in the pit. really his curse haha

about the cold issues:
5 mins before the match letting the flamethrowers warm up the arena haha (a)

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »

So i just watched the first episode of the 2016 version, and Razor again throws himself in while trying to put another bot in the pit. really his curse haha

about the cold issues:
Again? don't think that happened before. Also speaking about spoilers, should they even be used in this thread at that point? I feel it leads to people overlooking way too much posted stuff.
That would make the arena temporarily warm but sadly wouldn't work for the Co2 bottles that are inside the robots and already cool from the workshop.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »

about the cold issues:
Again? don't think that happened before. Also speaking about spoilers, should they even be used in this thread at that point? I feel it leads to people overlooking way too much posted stuff.
That would make the arena temporarily warm but sadly wouldn't work for the Co2 bottles that are inside the robots and already cool from the workshop.
Vs Tornado in the series 6 (?) grand final, when tornado was using it's bullsh** cheat ring of aids.

And high power VS like carbide hit themselves just as hard as the other bot, so assuming it could take hits from carbide fine, a knockout or push into the pit wouldn't be out of the question.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2016, 08:41:02 AM »

Vs Tornado in the series 6 (?) grand final, when tornado was using it's bullsh** cheat ring of aids.

And high power VS like carbide hit themselves just as hard as the other bot, so assuming it could take hits from carbide fine, a knockout or push into the pit wouldn't be out of the question.

Precisly, but then it was really his own fault, now he atleast just got in by the tire haha

Dont like almost all spinners have the change to take almost as much of the kinetic energy themself?

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2016, 09:29:12 AM »

about the cold issues:

What? Razer didn't drive into the pit, the match ended with Tornado almost over the pit but still held by Razer because they couldn't get that hook off.
And I thought we were done with this where people know that the frame was completely allowed by the rules(and used in the US series, together with a spinning disc instead of bar, before Series 6) and that they would've been out if all wheels were over the pit and Razer wasn't holding them(unlike to what JP said, part of the reason why I wasn't too happy to see him return. The Tornado team even mentioned that in Extreme2 when they were fighting Razer in the world championships).

If anything was cheap and should've been banned by the rules then it would be skid steering, because there's nothing cheaper than that, facing the robot with the front all the time and basically making good driving useless.
Only way to really get past that would be a good zero ground clearance wedge, which would most likely lead to a flipper bot, in which case you'd need to get multiple flips in and if you fail to get under the wedge once you've basically lost already.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline wakkydude

• The Discourse
  • Heavyweight
  • NotLikeThis NotLikeThis
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2016, 10:39:22 AM »
I hate to bring this issue back but can we stop calling it cheating? The rules allow modifications as long as they include an active weapon and are declared before the tournament, and the maximum robot size was larger than the size of the pit. Tornado fit the rules to the letter, and put on an exciting fight.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
I hate to bring this issue back but can we stop calling it cheating? The rules allow modifications as long as they include an active weapon and are declared before the tournament, and the maximum robot size was larger than the size of the pit. Tornado fit the rules to the letter, and put on an exciting fight.

yea you're wrong, it's the definition of cheating

and put on an exciting fight.
Lol do you have eyes? Tornado getting pushed around for the entire match doing literally nothing then getting stuck over the pit and getting the most sh**ty win in all of RW history in the grand finals is not exciting.

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »
Can't you guys go have this retarded non-argument elsewhere? You're all giving me AIDS.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »
Wait R01 isn't skid steering what literally every robot except Killerhurtz used?

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2016, 02:17:56 PM »
Wait R01 isn't skid steering what literally every robot except Killerhurtz used?
As far as I know that's tank steering what you mean(also a few other robots, Onslaught and Demolishor, think there were a few other smaller entries as well, used car steering.) Skid Steering basically allows a "what if the wheels on the back were 90 degree rotated" kind of situation.
Killerhurtz did have fans on their bot at one point which basically allowed it to move across walls. Terrorhurtz and Beta were supposed to have that at one point but in the end it didn't work out so that's why they got magnets, but that's a different story.
I'm not a roboteer or have looked much into that but the RW wiki mentions the following for Groundhog(Series 2 bot by Firestorm):
Each wheel was powered by a cordless drill motor, and driven by a gearbox from an angle grinder. The rear wheels were unique "omniwheels," tyres embedded with rubber rollers that allowed them to skid sideways. This type of wheel would later be used by Razer, and several others after Robot Wars ended.
I do know what omni wheels are and based on this screenshot, Razer had them ever since Series 3(but never used them that much until later in it's more successful series in Series 5 and 6):

I remember Razer using it well in some battles to the point where other bots couldn't do anything but drive up it's scoop. Don't have time to find all those battles but I did quickly create this gif:
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
I cant help it but i find driving like that great to watch haha.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2016, 04:09:18 PM »
Every discussion about RW ends up with the tornado frame. Go and complain about the De-Icer.