Poll

Which robot is going to win Robot Wars 2016?

Apollo
Beast
Behemoth
Big Nipper
Bonk!
Carbide
Chimera
Chompalot
Crazy Coupe 88
Dantomkia
Disconstructor
Draven
Eruption
Foxic
Gabriel
Glitterbomb
Infernal Contraption
Ironside 3
Kan-Opener
Kill-E Crank-E
King B Remix
MR Speed Squared
Nuts
Or Te
Overdozer
PP3D
Pulsar
Razer
Sabretooth
Shockwave
Storm 2
Supernova
Sweeney Todd
Terror Turtle
Terrorhurtz
The General
Thermidor 2
Thor
Tough As Nails
TR2

Author Topic: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 30663 times)

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Wars 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2016, 06:25:49 AM »
Finally getting used to the new arena and the cameras now. I've shaken off the old nostalgia and I'm pretty pleased with the new series, although there are still a lot of kinks to iron out

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
I get television ratings but why stack heat A with Razer, Terrorhurtz, Behemoth and Carbide and leave heat B scratching a little?

All in all this episode was surprisingly paced better then the first so some improvements in post production there,

Angela is starting to find her feet in the role and doing really well, Dara seems like a nice guy but he still just isnt exciting enough... Robot Wars need their own Faruq right before battles

Ive not mentioned this yet but I quite like the new arena, its nice and fresh and easier to see the action and little bits and pieces bounce off the robots

Seemingly turning up the crowd mic's for this one gets a big plus from me too

I love the new Matilda too.. looks so sleek and purposeful looking now.. I totally didnt realise the whole head bucks on this version

I have more confidence they are heading in the right direction, Battlebots is just hitting all the notes perfectly this year making it hard. 

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2016, 08:43:47 AM »
To explain M. R. Speed Squared's name, you have to look and see that there is a period after m and r, so it wasn't supposed to be Mr. Also, Mass*radius*speed^2 is the equation for the linear kinetic energy of a rotating body so it's basically the equation used to find how hard their disc will hit at the tip. I like that name a lot. Although the usual equation uses velocity rather than speed.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2016, 04:15:19 PM »
To explain M. R. Speed Squared's name, you have to look and see that there is a period after m and r, so it wasn't supposed to be Mr. Also, Mass*radius*speed^2 is the equation for the linear kinetic energy of a rotating body so it's basically the equation used to find how hard their disc will hit at the tip. I like that name a lot. Although the usual equation uses velocity rather than speed.
Thanks, I did notice it later when checking some Reddit threads.

So I was finally able to watch the show yesterday and man is this boring at some points!

There's a major lack of enthusiasm. Everyone there looks like they want this to be over asap. and yes having more than just 4 battles per episode is awesome (looking at you battlebots) I don't want to see the same 4 bots fighting over and over. and if you do so get the mood right god damit! The intros suck, the annoucning voice sucks and you never understand where the teams are from. you can only hear the names of the bots but that's becaus you've read them before.
I felt like they were simply neutral, doesn't have that feeling to me. Anything that isn't the stupid "fake drama, action, destruction" show that mentorn tried to pull since Extreme 1 is already better and enjoyable.
One advantage of this system(I'm not much of a fan of it either) is that you get to see a lot of battles and "what if X robot fought Y robot", it's not terrible.
I'm not fan of the intro voice as well but I can understand where they're from(no offense but it might be because I have more english knowledge?), there was some noise in episode 1(and seeing how they filmed a episode before this just to test out cameras and editing, episode 1 has no right to have so much poor editing) but episode 2 fixed it.

the robots... we had Tough A$$ Nails who was there. and then it was gone. We had Breaker Box and Ringmaster wich was cool! ... What? those were two s*tty versions of those bots? oh. well at least we had thor. That bot did great until it failed in the heat final (wich I told my friend who was watching with me would happen cause that sort of stuff always happens). And there is another flaw: why the hell would you fight a bot you have already beaten again and again? this setup sucks so much.

I was really happy when it was over. I will watch the other shows but I doubt there will be a second season.
If so there has to be a huge change in pretty much everything.
They got unlucky with the safety link and are going to use a different one for next time.
Breaker Box? You mean KaNuckle Buster http://robotica.wikia.com/wiki/KaNuckle_Buster just because something uses a similar mechanic or is a blade spinner(instead of ring spinner) doesn't mean it's a insta copy, or would you call all crushers a clone of Razer?

Yes, sadly you get to see a repeat but it allows the team to make up for a cheap loss that they had before(link going out) or to try something out with a different loadout.
I'm not a fan of the mini league as well, but since this is the first Season they didn't really have the support to do too big things and it was also all done rather quick, not giving many roboteers time to enter.

I found it ok, definitely better than the last few Series of robot wars, and would like to have a second season even if it's the same as this, better to still have this going than have nothing at all. Battlebots seems to drift into the direction where Robot Wars Series 7 went(and ironically will be shown on Channel 5! in the UK, the channel where RW's last series was broadcasted before going down) wouldn't be surprised if whoever is the boss of that decided "oh it didn't get as many views as we wanted, lets cancel it instead of seeing where the problem was".

The teams(and robots) are what make the episode for me, and while this shows that the show needs a bit more work on their other things, it's also a good sign showing that they're focusing on the competitors(like they originally said they would) and that those are doing stuff well.

I get television ratings but why stack heat A with Razer, Terrorhurtz, Behemoth and Carbide and leave heat B scratching a little?

All in all this episode was surprisingly paced better then the first so some improvements in post production there,

Angela is starting to find her feet in the role and doing really well, Dara seems like a nice guy but he still just isnt exciting enough... Robot Wars need their own Faruq right before battles

Ive not mentioned this yet but I quite like the new arena, its nice and fresh and easier to see the action and little bits and pieces bounce off the robots

Seemingly turning up the crowd mic's for this one gets a big plus from me too

I love the new Matilda too.. looks so sleek and purposeful looking now.. I totally didnt realise the whole head bucks on this version

I have more confidence they are heading in the right direction, Battlebots is just hitting all the notes perfectly this year making it hard.
Heat A had the more popular returning teams(most of B were part of Robot Wars before, just not as popular or with a completely new bot) however the ones in Heat B at least worked better, not having

Well they did say that they want to focus more on the Robots and Roboteers, which they're doing.

Personally I liked the old Arena more since it felt bigger, but good that this new one is finally up to the security standards(Series 7 felt like it was held together with duct tape and chewing gum) I think the new Matilda is a bit too wide, but other than that good, it's still a bit hard to decide when to use the spinner(think best would be to only spin it up once a competitor reaches the CPZ and then move in for one big hit?)

Finally getting used to the new arena and the cameras now. I've shaken off the old nostalgia and I'm pretty pleased with the new series, although there are still a lot of kinks to iron out

Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
Only 30 minutes until the next heat begins.

Edit: was I the only one who watched?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:51:30 PM by R01 »
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »

Oh well, at least Heat D is stacked as hell, so it should be more entertaining.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2016, 03:52:32 PM »

Oh well, at least Heat D is stacked as hell, so it should be more entertaining.
Oh hey, someone watched it as well.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Merrick

• Rep: 3
  • Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
Urgh, another weak heat with barely any robots functioning to their full potential. The BBC really needs to give a bit more notice to competing robots next time, it seems that every melee has half the robots saying there's something wrong that they haven't tested after repairs.

Offline ajprice

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2016, 05:59:51 PM »
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline FOTEPX

• Your dad
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Thank you, meow.
    • Bamzookiman130
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Shima33 #9110
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »

Currently listening to: Marblehead Johnson - The Bluetones

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2016, 06:11:18 PM »
Urgh, another weak heat with barely any robots functioning to their full potential. The BBC really needs to give a bit more notice to competing robots next time, it seems that every melee has half the robots saying there's something wrong that they haven't tested after repairs.

This. So many bots were barely finished when they went up to Glasgow, what does Mentorn expect when the timeframe is so ridiculously short.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »

This. So many bots were barely finished when they went up to Glasgow, what does Mentorn expect when the timeframe is so ridiculously short.
Yeah, that killed off the episode a bit for me and made it seem less polished than the other ones(even if the others had the problem as well), well part of the JP commentary did that as well(for being inaccurate).

I hope this doesn't give this show a negative image, a lot of those machines would be better, yet we get knockouts or halfway limping machines because of technical problems(which happen because stuff had to be rushed) and knockouts of safety links getting knocked away. This has been a issue in the 6th wars and I really hoped that we wouldn't see it again, but it seems to be worse than ever now.

I made a full comment on the entire episode and the fights in my spoiler.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »
This episode was probably the best yet really, I actually enjoyed it.

Finally! Dara is cracking jokes and making the show more fun. The narration still has to go.. replace it with the hosts talking face to face with the camera like they do around the final matches.. it looks so much better.

This episode was still really competitive but I agree with the timeframes resulting in a lot of untested robots.

On that note.. im not totally up to date but roaming robots live tour was full of robots wasnt it? is their something im missing? why do we have MDF robots built 5 days before the competition and not so many of the proven, solid robots from the circuit? licensing issues? or have they all since retired?

Offline RTC

• Antweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Owen Wilson on Ritalin and 'Roids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2016, 09:08:20 AM »
I think it's more for entertainment purposes to reach to a wider audience. It's the reason bots like Granny's Revenge made it into the original run despite more prospective robots being turned down.

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »
On that note.. im not totally up to date but roaming robots live tour was full of robots wasnt it? is their something im missing? why do we have MDF robots built 5 days before the competition and not so many of the proven, solid robots from the circuit? licensing issues? or have they all since retired?

It's to try and get more people interested in robotics and to get people to actually build a fighting robot. See, if all the entries were the same tier as Carbide, people would go "Oh, sh**, I can't match that. Why bother trying, mine'll just get destroyed..." Whereas if they see Overdoser tier entries, they'll think "Oh, they did something like that and got on the show, maybe I could build a robot, get on the show and fight too!"

That, and as RTC said, entertainment purposes. People love seeing destruction on the show (hence why some of Hypno-Disc's battles ended up being the most memorable) so particularly weaker bots could be allowed in so the audience gets to see something get smashed up.

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »
Next two weeks look pretty good. Here's hoping Eruption (of our own member Vertigo for the uninformed) does as well as it does in the live circuit. Likewise interested in the week after, a couple of cool sounding spinners.

Last week was eh.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2016, 06:23:25 AM »

Most of the notable live circuit non-flippers are in the series, problem is there's so many flippers on the live circuit the series would've been full of them if they all got accepted. Plus they wanted cannon fodder for the more powerful bots.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline jackster96

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2016, 07:05:28 AM »
I would of thought that toxic 2 would of qualified but there are a fair few flippers already.
Hobbies; table tennis, archery, pool, gaming pc and xbox.

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2016, 07:18:21 AM »
So guys of this forum thank you, i had no idea robot wars was still going haha. gonna catch up fast!