Author Topic: Robot Combat Videos get taken down by YouTube  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Robot Combat Videos get taken down by YouTube
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:57:19 PM »
Hello there. I'm new to GTM it seems.

Recently roboteers faced the issue of their videos disappearing because YouTube's algorithm flagged them as animal abuse. I was wondering if some of you had the same issue and if this also affects RA2 videos or if they are safe as they are mostly listed in the videogames category

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Combat Videos get taken down by YouTube
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 02:36:50 AM »

Recently roboteers faced the issue of their videos disappearing because YouTube's algorithm flagged them as animal abuse. I was wondering if some of you had the same issue and if this also affects RA2 videos or if they are safe as they are mostly listed in the videogames category

>Youtube's Algorithm takes down a bunch of robot combat videos for animal abuse.

> There's clearly no animals present in said videos.

In all seriousness, this is actually quite stupid on Google's part. The programmers that worked on the algorithm should of closely tested their work before launching it onto the site, preventing such incidents like this from happening in the first place. Keep in mind that a large majority of robot combat fights, including live events had been in circulation on YouTube, being the only way to watch the action after the fight happen. So effectively, google had taken down years worth of robot combat fights within the platform being the primary methods of watching them, and google doesn't care. It's a sad day to be part of the community, but what can we do about it?   

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 07:51:18 AM »

>Youtube's Algorithm takes down a bunch of robot combat videos for animal abuse.

> There's clearly no animals present in said videos.

In all seriousness, this is actually quite stupid on Google's part. The programmers that worked on the algorithm should of closely tested their work before launching it onto the site, preventing such incidents like this from happening in the first place. Keep in mind that a large majority of robot combat fights, including live events had been in circulation on YouTube, being the only way to watch the action after the fight happen. So effectively, google had taken down years worth of robot combat fights within the platform being the primary methods of watching them, and google doesn't care. It's a sad day to be part of the community, but what can we do about it?

iirc it's a self learning ai, so it's not completely a developer issue, atleast from the initial takedowns.
Things I did & done

Offline RoboticCombatUk

• Antweight
  • Rep: -3
  • Shut up, bitch
    • Who cares?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:09:27 AM »
I seriously hope the issue gets fixed and soon :facepalm:

Offline RpJk

• ♫Time has come to listen to the crying of their puppet souls♫
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Done and done.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »
Heard about this on Reddit. YouTube has clearly went to hell. Full of double standard crap. I've stopped using it after the mass copy strikes on Video Game Music channels. Google has gotten worse and outside of Drive I hate it.
Old Stock Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=6590.0

I've moved to other forums. Under a different name. This is where it all began.

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »
My channel seems to have been spared.