Author Topic: Robot Combat League on SyFy Channel  (Read 18661 times)

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Combat League on SyFy Channel
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2013, 12:53:12 PM »
internet fights
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/06/the-engadget-interview-mark-setrakian-of-syfys-robot-combat-le/

Well, Nielsen there in the comments is an dumb. And wrong.

I'd like to think Sonny's remarks were aimed at the thread there as well, considering it's been about 20 days since the last post here, though if that were the case he might as well of posted there.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:29:25 PM by Trovaner »

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
Yeah it was directed at the conversation on Jamin's link.

Offline Jamin

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
I decided to delete my recent post, I figure since I already proved the kid wrong in this first response I made if he's going to deny it and call me an idiot after all of that there is no point in going back and forth with him. Especially since I'd just be making a fool out of my self under my real name, more-so than I already do.

but yeah, I hope Mr. Nielson enjoys his fake dumb wannabe corporate brainwash money maker ploy boring tv programme.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:31:03 PM by Trovaner »

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2013, 03:46:34 PM »
The thing that annoys me is that he gets everything wrong. Trap doors? It's called The Pit of Oblivion, and it DOES open. The flame pits are actually supposed to do something, rather then purposefully make it LOOK like something is happening when it really isn't. Sawblades coming out of the floor? That's Battlebots, not Robot Wars. 4 types of robots, flippers, lifters, crushers and saw spinners? What about rammers, flywheel spinners and axe bots? And you can't discredit Robot Wars for having little variety in bots anyway when the show you champion has only one kind of bot, humanoid punchers, as much as he says you can't. The definition of 'Robot' he gives to discredit Robot Wars is also a definition Robot Combat League doesn't hold up to.

And then he has the audacity to say OWNED and in general speak like he's made a bulletproof case? Like I said, an dumb.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:30:50 PM by Trovaner »

Offline Jamin

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
The thing that annoys me is that he gets everything wrong. Trap doors? It's called The Pit of Oblivion, and it DOES open. The flame pits are actually supposed to do something, rather then purposefully make it LOOK like something is happening when it really isn't. Sawblades coming out of the floor? That's Battlebots, not Robot Wars. 4 types of robots, flippers, lifters, crushers and saw spinners? What about rammers, flywheel spinners and axe bots? And you can't discredit Robot Wars for having little variety in bots anyway when the show you champion has only one kind of bot, humanoid punchers, as much as he says you can't. The definition of 'Robot' he gives to discredit Robot Wars is also a definition Robot Combat League doesn't hold up to.

And then he has the audacity to say OWNED and in general speak like he's made a bulletproof case? Like I said, an asshole.

I was tempted to just replace my comment with something like "if none of my points hold up to scrutiny, then how about you do me a favor and actually explain to me why what I said is wrong?" but I figure it's just a hopeless waste of time. If he's just going to drop to insults and not bother to argue after I typed up all of that he is clearly very close minded and isn't going to listen to rhyme or reason. Like I said, a pseudo intellectual.

in closing, LOL PWNT

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
I hope this thing crashes to the ground in Season 2. That way, I can just go "I TOLD YOU SO" to everyone defending this WWE-ification of Real Steel. Anyone got viewer ratings for the whole season? Apparently the pilot had 1.38 million watching.

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2013, 06:22:47 PM »
I just want more Robotica...

Offline qwertythe300th

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • /r/Battlebots Moderator, and well thats about it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2013, 08:59:33 PM »
Has a second season been announced yet?
Lone Star Domination.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2013, 03:39:29 PM »
now someone make a tournament with bots like this already!

and I`m sure the makers of the show will see this and fill give us money!

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Yeah, the return of El Tonno x) It has to be done.
(I remember screwing up a 'boxing' stock El Tonno then I think one of the Beetles did a proper version. Or was it the Beetles? I have no bloody idea)

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »
I just want more Robotica...
Indeed. Heck, if I had the funding to do so, I'd just try and start up my own competition and have that televised. Actual robot combat, along with Robotica-like side events on modern TV? Now that'd be truly awesome.

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline Jamin

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2013, 06:45:41 AM »
internet fights
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/06/the-engadget-interview-mark-setrakian-of-syfys-robot-combat-le/

I just realized something, can you guys even see that massive post I made ripping that Rob Nielson kid apart? It doesn't seem to come up for me unless I log in.

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2013, 07:23:51 AM »
I saw it.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
To all the good chaps in Blighty. Does anyone remember the TV show where people modified real cars to be remote controlled and then fought them in a 1v1 demolition derby style? I think it aired on Bravo. But I can't find any trace of it.
Full Metal Challenge, if I recall correctly.
Nah Full Metal Challenge was like Scrapheap Challenge meets early series Robot Wars.

Was I the only one that liked the show? Yes the time wasting and sparks got on my nerves but all in all it was an alright show.

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »
I don't hate it in the way you think.  It's Total Drama Island; mint concept, horrible execution.  I loved the robot fights, but was disgusted by the amount of fluff, offended even that they'd think, this is what their target audience wants.

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:41 AM »
I don't hate it in the way you think.  It's Total Drama Island; mint concept, horrible execution.  I loved the robot fights, but was disgusted by the amount of fluff, offended even that they'd think, this is what their target audience wants.
I can definitely agree with you there- there were some nice ideas, but how they pulled them off was abysmal. Plus, everyone came off as needlessly cocky and arrogant- particularly that woman who was controlling Crash. What right did she have to be that smug about it when everything worked out for her by luck?

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2014, 06:39:20 PM »
WAIT EVERYONE! If someone has already posted this then sorry, I haven't read most of it and I was just searching about to find this.
Mick Foley hosted US Robot Wars
Chris Jericho hosts Robot Combat League.
Was SyFy trying hard to make a show awesome by bringing in an awesome wrestler just like robot wars did? Not that robot wars needed someone to make it more interesting but anyways. Anyone else realize this?