Author Topic: Does this sound like a good design?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Mistfire333

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Does this sound like a good design?
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »
Hello my fellow robotic engineers! So my robotics club will be all working on creating our first ever combat robot, and we were thinking of using DSL3 to at least get a simple CONCEPT of what we want to do. Generally our idea is to have a wedgebot, with two discs peeking out from the top. It would get under an opponent and the spinning sawblades would be facing different directions which we expect to create a bouncing effect and cause more damage. Seeing as to how most people here are involved in their own occasional robotic combat events, maybe you could say if for now it sounds like a good idea?

Thanks!
SadBoys2001

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/ch
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Does this sound like a good design?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
i'm not a robotic engineer, but I do watch lots of live events, a problem to consider is flippers, is the design going to be invertible or is it going to have a srimech?

Offline Tweedy

• Rep: 3
  • Tweedy
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
Bouncing doesn't happen on rotating discs irl, depending on the design of the disc a bot would just get flung in the direction the disc was rotating, sawblades aren't generally effective anyway since grinding isn't an effective method of attack most of the time, blunt tooth discs are generally more effective (in the uk anyway)

Offline Mistfire333

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »
i'm not a robotic engineer, but I do watch lots of live events, a problem to consider is flippers, is the design going to be invertible or is it going to have a srimech?

The design won't be invertible. But yeah I'll mention a scrimech though, perhaps along the little flat part it will have in order to store some of the batteries. We were thinking of using big wheels but since it's a wedge, it would made it a bit harder to use once it's been flipped in a way where the sawblades point downwards.

I also noticed that you say you see lots of live events, on which coast? Or is it central US

Bouncing doesn't happen on rotating discs irl, depending on the design of the disc a bot would just get flung in the direction the disc was rotating, sawblades aren't generally effective anyway since grinding isn't an effective method of attack most of the time, blunt tooth discs are generally more effective (in the uk anyway)

Right. Well we're still stubborn on the idea of using two discs going in different directions, but we will take up the idea of using blunt teeth for them. One question I just had, how much should a bot like this weigh? Because sometimes certain designs do better among different weight classes.
SadBoys2001

Offline R1885

• Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:58:03 AM »
Why split it with two saw blades when you can have one big macho one toothed disc?

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
In reply to Mistfire;
I'm actually English and seen a lot of Robot wars and roaming robots, the layout of the arena is different, but you will still see the same problems
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:09:57 PM by Natster-104 »

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »
Well weight-classes are quite crucial to how effective you're bot can be. If you don't know what I'm on about; basically a very powerful robot design in a middleweight class will be less effective compared to as if it was in the heavyweight class,so if you make it as light as possible; it will be more powerful.
(Its a bit hard to explain)

Offline SKBT

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »
Hello my fellow robotic engineers! So my robotics club will be all working on creating our first ever combat robot, and we were thinking of using DSL3 to at least get a simple CONCEPT of what we want to do. Generally our idea is to have a wedgebot, with two discs peeking out from the top. It would get under an opponent and the spinning sawblades would be facing different directions which we expect to create a bouncing effect and cause more damage. Seeing as to how most people here are involved in their own occasional robotic combat events, maybe you could say if for now it sounds like a good idea?

Thanks!

what kind of budget do you have, what kind of fabrication skills? what random components do you already have available?

wat weight class? i see a similar concept to this working in the 3lb or a wedgeless variation working in in 30lb sportsman

invertability or some way to move upside down is a must.

while yes they would cancel out each others gyroscopic forces, the blade that spins down will choke on pretty much anything and you would need two motors or some kind of silly miter gear system for power transmission. if you are set on using a sawblade, do two vertical spinning blades. to get a better bite and a better hit, use lower TPI blades.

also do something a little more legit than design in RA2.

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 03:23:49 PM »
He wants us to vote for the weightclass

Offline SKBT

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »
He wants us to vote for the weightclass

that is the last way you should ever consider building a robot

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 03:28:56 PM »
It's his choice, we could just give him info on how to fit it in a weightclass

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
What competitons are in the area?  Your weight should probably correspond to an existent weight class or you won't be able to fight anyone.  I'm adding my vote to the "counter rotating discs are a bad idea" pile, that kind of design is just perfect for stripping gears and burning motors.

Plus, a downwards-spinning disc is very likely to flip your own bot on impact.

Offline Mistfire333

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 12:34:05 AM »
We're aiming for Middleweight-Lightweight. We've ditched the counter rotating disc idea and settled to maybe have them spin clockwise (teeth going upwards). But a good question is, where should we put the scrimech?

Also, maybe it'd help if I uploaded concept art?
SadBoys2001

Offline R1885

• Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 01:16:59 AM »

Depending on how its designed, you may not need one at all. In some cases, the kick back of the spinner hitting the floor can be enough to right yourself, OR you could make it invertible if the design allows it(And yes, please post a general sketch of the bot, it would help a lot). If you must have a scrimech, you want to have the shortest possible path to the closest edge of the robot so gravity can take over. Keeping the center of gravity as low as possible can also help.

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 03:09:19 PM »
This thread hasn't been posted in for a long time so I wanted to ask, how has the bot gone on? Has it been successful?

Offline Mistfire333

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
This thread hasn't been posted in for a long time so I wanted to ask, how has the bot gone on? Has it been successful?

Great, we're looking at what kinds of motors we should use this Thursday!
SadBoys2001

Offline Natster-104

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
Todays the day he gets motors, btw Mistfire could we have a pic of the bot when it has got all the basic components?

Offline Mistfire333

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 11:59:36 PM »
Todays the day he gets motors, btw Mistfire could we have a pic of the bot when it has got all the basic components?

We still have to consider some expenses based off the samples we've gotten. I'll be sure to get some pictures up though! ^^
SadBoys2001