Author Topic: BattleBots Season 2 Discussion Thread  (Read 108948 times)

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: BattleBots Season 2 Discussion Thread
« Reply #580 on: September 03, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
Based on the flashes of video in the starts of episodes, and a post on Twitter, the five rumbles going up on Youtube are...

Stinger VS Ghost Raptor VS Lockjaw
Skorpios VS Bucktooth Burl VS Deathroll
Splatter VS Rotator VS Disk O' Inferno
Ringmaster VS Overdrive VS Bad Kitty
Overhaul VS Sawblaze VS Unknown (Maybe Brutus for an MIT showdown?)

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #581 on: September 03, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »

WHO. WILL. WIN.

Edit:

After some hours of sleep I was able to watch this and wow what a show!

Mike: really well done! I would have never thought that Bombshell would get that far. I knew from the promo pictures that you would beat poisen arrow but I did not expect it to be in such an awesome fasion. Also you are the one that has beaten freaking minotaur! congratulations (and thank you) for this. I was hoping the hs would do the same thing to Tombstone it did to cobalt but hey you got second place in freaking Battlebots!

Ray: I was always rooting against Tombstone but it's because it's such a good machine. same thing for minotaur. You totally deserve this trophy and the right to be called champion! Well done to you. Now that that's over: Black Ice and Escape Velocity? :D Why was Brutus the first real opponent for Tombstone?

Season 2 was such a great thing to see. it improved on everything except the constant air time. please abc give this show more love. I can not wait for season 3 with ray mike and yeti with actuall spare parts!

PS: This moment in the rumble where witch doctor was tossed from Biteforce onto Wrecks and then send flying out.. poor thing. Love for Witch Doctor
Can't say that at all, Season 2 is going into the direction of Series 7 Robot Wars, sure talk up Tombstone even more and call Biteforce a bad bot because it lost it's weapon and had one burnt out motor. And then there's the rule change... Tombstone got number 1 seed(they should've given that to Biteforce even if it had a new design) which means your first and maybe second battle will be easy ones due to the way how seeding works.

yeti vs chomp was probably my favorite match of the episode, lots of back and forth action

Liked it as well, really wanted Yeti to rip that hammer off because I don't like Chomp's view on the new rules and them getting that far(ok, it's the producer's fault that they changed the floor like that which made the design worse) but a bot that's doing a Magikarp, falling over that much and spending most of it's time on the side shouldn't get that far. Yeti was friendly and didn't attack them more after they were getting counted out.

If Beta met Yeti then they would've been in trouble because of the lifting arms(but it would be a hard choice for yeti, armor or arms.
There were actually two Bronco bots, one with the wedge setup mounted(and apparently a weaker flipper for some reason, probably to not jump too much) and one without it/wheelguards.
Yeti's weapon was disabled in that match, that's why they couldn't use it after that.

Man this series has been amazing and the final episode didnt disappoint, Dare I say... the best televised robot combat season ever

On another note before I get onto the episode.. Warhead was actually insanely closer to beating Minotaur then I thought with that first hit! Rubber belt was only inches away.

Think Minotaur had a second belt, in one fight you can see it being ripped off but the drum kept going.

Okay I found a way to watch. Time to do this.

Biteforce is supposed to selfright via Gyro forces, just like Minotaur would, guess the weapon wasn't working properly or the front wedges were heavy?

Ray was friendly to the other Roboteers, however, because of the rule change I found the judges decisions to be kinda obvious.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:22:36 PM by R01 »
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #582 on: September 03, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
Just got to watch the finale!

I hope they get to work out the rules a bit more and do a season 3.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #583 on: September 04, 2016, 05:18:14 AM »
R01 what's the stuff you took?

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #584 on: September 04, 2016, 06:24:35 AM »
Chomp won the Founder's Award. In other news I was completely wrong about who would get awards.

This is their description of the founder's award in their own words.

Quote from: Zoe Stephenson
It's a recognition that may vary in how it's earned from year to year, but it is for bringing an exemplary bot that does interesting things and pushes the sport in the direction in which the founders hope BattleBots will grow.

Very deserving, in my opinion.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #585 on: September 04, 2016, 08:07:52 AM »
R01 what's the stuff you took?
Could ask the same question to you, or did you only watch the battles?

Chomp won the Founder's Award. In other news I was completely wrong about who would get awards.

This is their description of the founder's award in their own words.

It's a recognition that may vary in how it's earned from year to year, but it is for bringing an exemplary bot that does interesting things and pushes the sport in the direction in which the founders hope BattleBots will grow.

Very deserving, in my opinion.
Chomp out of all things? Seriously? Maybe has to do with the AI that did the hammer hits, but without that I'm sure there would've been other bots that could've got that.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #586 on: September 04, 2016, 08:39:34 AM »
I don't get what your problem seems to be. Yes the judges decissions in some fights were questionable especally looking at chomp here. But I don't see how battlebots is going to be like series 7 of Robot Wars.

Oh and even though I disliked Chomps way of winning I must say it is a well build bot. Zoey has to improve the stability of it but it took damage so well. looking at the fights with Capt. Shredderator and Yeti it didn't seem to recive alot of external damage. get rid of the flamethrower and improve the stability and maybe the power of the axe and you're good to go.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #587 on: September 04, 2016, 09:23:11 AM »
I don't get what your problem seems to be. Yes the judges decissions in some fights were questionable especally looking at chomp here. But I don't see how battlebots is going to be like series 7 of Robot Wars.

Oh and even though I disliked Chomps way of winning I must say it is a well build bot. Zoey has to improve the stability of it but it took damage so well. looking at the fights with Capt. Shredderator and Yeti it didn't seem to recive alot of external damage. get rid of the flamethrower and improve the stability and maybe the power of the axe and you're good to go.
They were talking down some bots, Biteforce being the best example, then we have the ones that get overhyped, see Warhead and Tombstone, "enough of this talk, who wants to see a battle" there were other moments as well but I can't remember them currently. Also it's not the judges decision but the rules that's messing that stuff up.

Chomp was extremely solid, it did have more stability because it was going to use magnets, but the floor change in the Battlebox messed it up, just like Beta, so they had to reduce the axe power, it can be even stronger.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #588 on: September 04, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
I have no ill will towards Chomp (although I feel it's wins were incredibly undeserving) but it definitely shouldn't have won the Founders' Award. Especially when the criteria is:
bringing an exemplary bot that does interesting things and pushes the sport in the direction in which the founders hope BattleBots will grow.
The only 'interesting' thing it did was reveal how crap the rules were.

Although I don't fully agree with the sentiment, I do kinda agree with R01 about the series 7 thing. Due to Biteforce winning in a 'controversial' way in series 1, the producers wanted to prevent it winning the same way, again. Thus, the horrible primary weapon rule. In fact, it was so poorly drafted, that people were on Biteforce's side when it lost to Chomp.

Also, I still think the weapon choice on Bombshell was an incredibly risky move and that using the VS would've been smarter, as it doesn't look as flimsy as the hammer and HS. Just imho, tho. I don't claim to to know how sturdy the VS on Bombshell is and how well it could take hits from Tombstone.

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #589 on: September 04, 2016, 10:08:40 AM »

They were talking down some bots, Biteforce being the best example, then we have the ones that get overhyped, see Warhead and Tombstone, "enough of this talk, who wants to see a battle" there were other moments as well but I can't remember them currently. Also it's not the judges decision but the rules that's messing that stuff up.

Chomp was extremely solid, it did have more stability because it was going to use magnets, but the floor change in the Battlebox messed it up, just like Beta, so they had to reduce the axe power, it can be even stronger.

Oh that's what you meant. Well I didn't mind the trash talk too much. The commentators don't seem to have an idea on what's going on. In the end it's the performance of the bottom that decides the battle.
And I have mentioned that the active weapons rifle has to be changed.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #590 on: September 04, 2016, 10:43:29 AM »
The commentators don't seem to have an idea on what's going on.
Kenny actually did surprise me with what he said during the matches. I think it's unfair to say that. That other guy doesn't, tho.

Always hated the active weapons rifle ;)

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #591 on: September 04, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
Kenny has some experience with his background I gusset but Chris is a bit clueless.
Yeah I don't get why the active rifles didn't count towards damage :D

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #592 on: September 04, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
The commentators don't seem to have an idea on what's going on.
Kenny actually did surprise me with what he said during the matches. I think it's unfair to say that. That other guy doesn't, tho.

Always hated the active weapons rifle ;)
For me, they did know stuff surprisingly well(minus not knowing about the rule change) until the last episode. I wish they kept the moderator(who's now only doing interviews after battle) from Season 1.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Shinkioh

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #593 on: September 05, 2016, 05:30:44 AM »
Also, I still think the weapon choice on Bombshell was an incredibly risky move and that using the VS would've been smarter, as it doesn't look as flimsy as the hammer and HS. Just imho, tho. I don't claim to to know how sturdy the VS on Bombshell is and how well it could take hits from Tombstone.
Didn't Minotaur took a small chunk of the vertical spinner?

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #594 on: September 05, 2016, 06:46:46 AM »
I wouldnt swap out Chris and Kenny for anyone,

I still think they are great fun and pretty on the ball with it (at least more than once they picked up something I didnt notice right away)

The only thing I noticed this year was the "tale of the tape" section was cut out a lot (I assume in editing as the graphics were on the screen behind them)

All in all though, ABC just needs to give it some priority timeslots and they will have Robot Combat gold, this year was brilliant

Offline Thyrus

• Back to purple '17
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #595 on: September 05, 2016, 07:18:21 AM »
There was a tail of the tape last year?
I've been watching this years tott on youtube if you're refering to this

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #596 on: September 05, 2016, 07:28:06 AM »
There was a tail of the tape last year?
I've been watching this years tott on youtube if you're refering to this
Pretty sure he means the bit where they look at each team's stats prior to the fight.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #597 on: September 05, 2016, 08:28:25 AM »
Oops yeah I forgot about the web series they also had..

Yes I meant when Samantha, Chis and Kenny talk about this screen before passing over to Faruq

That seemed to be cut a lot in post production

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #598 on: September 05, 2016, 08:53:15 AM »
Oops yeah I forgot about the web series they also had..

Yes I meant when Samantha, Chis and Kenny talk about this screen before passing over to Faruq

(Image removed from quote.)

That seemed to be cut a lot in post production
Yeah, I guess only people who were there live got to see it(didn't know it was called the same as the web series), basically there were 3 types of matches, ones that did have the stat display, ones that only had the match and the ones that only had the highlights.

Also was this version of Complete Control having a spinner killer wedge on the back?
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Shinkioh

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #599 on: September 06, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »
Yeah this Complete Control had a back wedge which Derek Young removed, blaming it for dislodging their drive in the opening moment of the fight.