Poll

Who do you think will win the Giant Nut?

Bite Force
Bronco
Captain Shrederator
Chomp
Complete Control
Ghost Raptor
HyperShock
Icewave
Lock-Jaw
Mohawk
Nightmare
OverDrive
Overhaul
Plan X
Radioactive
Razorback
Stinger the Killer Bee
Sweet Revenge
Tombstone
Warhead
Warrior Clan
Witch Doctor & Shaman
Wrecks
Counter Revolution

Author Topic: BattleBots 2015 Discussion  (Read 170715 times)

Offline S.T.C.

• Rep: 3
  • Not to be confused with STDs.
    • www.youtube.com/user/Shad
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: BattleBots 2015 Discussion
« Reply #740 on: June 29, 2015, 09:09:22 PM »
You won't be saying it's so cool when everyone's using a net, and no one wants to build a spinner anymore out of aversion.
                       well you see spinners are very fast and something like complete control cant really get a hold of them anymore so he used a tool to beat ghostraptor it was clever i believe and since it was not listed in the rules i believe it should have been allowed, Ghost raptor is well designed but it broke in a net and its weapon broke normally. awful robot didnt deserve to go through at all really.
So we're supposed to ignore the fact that CC broke down around the last 20 seconds of the match?

Also; well designed = awful robot.

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: June 29, 2015, 09:19:23 PM »
Just because you can use a net, doesn't mean you should.

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #742 on: June 29, 2015, 09:22:49 PM »
I'm a little unclear on the wildcards. I was under the impression that out of the stack of losers four would be chosen at random, which in my mind explains why Nightmare was SOL and Warhead made it through. It also explains why Chomp made it through, because in the clips that they showed of it fighting Overdrive it looked to be pretty flimsy. Did the judges actually review the losers one by one and choose four of them?

(Also thank you to the folks who pointed out that registration was busted on BattleBots Update. It has been fixed.)

edit: I find it hilarious that the Killsaws haven't been deployed a single time in any fight so far. They, along with the Pulverizers, were one of the most iconic parts of the arena back in the day and I believe have been a staple in the arena since the very first event in 1999. Guess the counter for "Killsaw Rides" is gonna hang at 0 for a while longer. :P
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2015, 09:43:12 PM »
edit: I find it hilarious that the Killsaws haven't been deployed a single time in any fight so far. They, along with the Pulverizers, were one of the most iconic parts of the arena back in the day and I believe have been a staple in the arena since the very first event in 1999. Guess the counter for "Killsaw Rides" is gonna hang at 0 for a while longer. :P
I believe they decided that they weren't going to be used in the qualifying rounds. Hopefully they'll come into play later.

Just because you can use a net, doesn't mean you should.
If it works though, why wouldn't you.

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #744 on: June 29, 2015, 09:48:40 PM »
I'm a little unclear on the wildcards. I was under the impression that out of the stack of losers four would be chosen at random, which in my mind explains why Nightmare was SOL and Warhead made it through. It also explains why Chomp made it through, because in the clips that they showed of it fighting Overdrive it looked to be pretty flimsy. Did the judges actually review the losers one by one and choose four of them?

(Also thank you to the folks who pointed out that registration was busted on BattleBots Update. It has been fixed.)

The wildcards were probably based on who would be the most entertaining.  The Killsaws will be coming later; they're trying to build the hype by making the arena progressively more dangerous.

Offline Natef

• http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »
They were competing for a television show. Using a net makes the fight boring and audiences will lose interest.

Apparently this fight was the first to be recorded in the prelims. From Team Nightmare's FB page:

"Last, the drama with the net on Ghost Raptor was NOT staged in any way for TV. That was real drama that stopped production in order to decide the outcome. We were wondering if BB owner Trey was going to go over and KO Derek Young personally with his bare hands, since it was technically the first fight taped on the first day, but it all worked out for a good robot battle later."

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
Ghost raptor is well designed but it broke in a net and its weapon broke normally. awful robot didnt deserve to go through at all really.
I didn't know it was possible to contradict yourself that many times in two sentences.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #747 on: June 29, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
They were competing for a television show. Using a net makes the fight boring and audiences will lose interest.
It seemed to get plenty of people riled up.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #748 on: June 30, 2015, 04:20:33 AM »
The guys of CC aren't stupid. Pretty sure they knew something would happen if they weee using that net. But since it was not forbidden by the rules they were on the save side.
Wish we saw more of complete blow torche

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2015, 07:31:03 AM »
  yeah, the first time, but we're thinking of the long term; no joke is as funny the second time you hear it.  I hope you don't want to see more battles like Tombstone vs Counter Revolution.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #750 on: June 30, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »
My predictions for the next rounds.. hard to say with some that didn't get a full match broadcasted..

Bronco v Plan X (Straight in, Straight Out)
Radioactive v Tombstone (Feel like Tombstone will separate the body segments rather easy)
Stinger v Warhead (I love Warhead so much but I think this will look much the same as warheads first fight)
Ghost Raptor v Warrior Clan (Both HS/Flipper robots Feel Warrior has much stronger weaponry plus flanking flamethrowers)
Overdrive v Doctor/Shaman (this ones close.. I have to go with the stronger arsenal here)
LockJaw v Overhaul (Could go either way, Down to personal preference feel like Lockjaw would be more entertaining down the road)
Hypershock v Biteforce (hard to tell not seeing much of Hypershock but think Biteforce can handle it)
Chomp v IceWave (That bodywork with all those edges is asking to be ripped away :P)

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #751 on: June 30, 2015, 09:01:43 AM »
Agree with the above, except for overdrive, who can deflect the disc with its scoop and win on aggression, or maybe flip the good doctor onto its side

Offline infiniteinertia

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #752 on: June 30, 2015, 09:02:54 AM »
Just wanted to give a special thanks to Yugitom for putting high quality videos up on youtube in such a short timeframe.

dont wanna go back to something that may have already been discussed (i dont feel like searching) but was anything mentioned about the bots like Beta and Bulldog that have not been included in this season but appear on the website? The guys behind Killerhurtz/BETA were some of my personal favorites back in the day... and who doesn't remember Team Bigger Brother. Very curious as to what transpired there...

Anywho, the return of Battlebots has been glorious so far, IMO. Never would have stumbled upon RA2 if it had not been for my childhood love of BB...

FWIW, gotta root for Tombstone or IceWave. I'd love to see a destructive bot win the nut! Also total BS that Chomp made it through as a wildcard over Nightmare or even Shredderator...
#MakeStockGreatAgain

#BANtheHS The Movement

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #753 on: June 30, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »
Just wanted to give a special thanks to Yugitom for putting high quality videos up on youtube in such a short timeframe.
It's all my pleasure :)

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #754 on: June 30, 2015, 09:15:22 AM »

dont wanna go back to something that may have already been discussed (i dont feel like searching) but was anything mentioned about the bots like Beta and Bulldog that have not been included in this season but appear on the website? The guys behind Killerhurtz/BETA were some of my personal favorites back in the day... and who doesn't remember Team Bigger Brother. Very curious as to what transpired there...

Anywho, the return of Battlebots has been glorious so far, IMO. Never would have stumbled upon RA2 if it had not been for my childhood love of BB...

FWIW, gotta root for Tombstone or IceWave. I'd love to see a destructive bot win the nut! Also total BS that Chomp made it through as a wildcard over Nightmare or even Shredderator...
. American Airlines lost some of Beta's parts in transit.  I think they came up with some ad hoc solution with spare parts, but it didn't work, so they had to withdraw.  I was really upset too, and I'm going to be sure that I don't use AA to fly to Bot Blast.

Bulldog was one of the reserves, on standby to substitute if one of the 24 selected bots couldn't compete, but theey chose Counter Revolution over Bulldog to replace Beta.  There's a chance that Bulldog will get to do an exhibition match; fingers crossed.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #755 on: June 30, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
  yeah, the first time, but we're thinking of the long term; no joke is as funny the second time you hear it.  I hope you don't want to see more battles like Tombstone vs Counter Revolution.
Oh yeah long term that would be gay as hell. I see we were talking about different situation.

Offline El Chickenado

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • from the 200's apparently... dont judge.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #756 on: June 30, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »
People seem to be confused by some robots. The youtube channel tested did 3 videos on battlebots where they looked at each robot individually I'd recommend them.
"cool quote" poet
dsl showcase
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=15982.msg633553;topicseen#new
and my forum game
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=16175.0
and my tournament
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=16259.0
TOURNEY RESULTS
powers of three lost in the first round but to clickbeetle so yeah
battlebots 9... i dont want to talk about it
father and son tournament: wait i won something...?
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #757 on: June 30, 2015, 02:30:09 PM »
HOLY ****ING sh** i almost crapped myself when i saw that battlebots was back. i even tried to turn on my broken computer (using a tablet now with a bluetooth keyboard that i think im going to break with my fingers right now) but at least i'm back online again) does anyone have a link to the first episode or two? please tell me someone here has put them online somewhere... fingers crossed... gimme some good news!
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #758 on: June 30, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »
all right i see someone put up videos on youtube but i dont wanna scroll through and risk spoiling it for myself. think we can edit the links into the op for everyone?
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #759 on: June 30, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »
Going on this wildcard debate, wouldn't it just be easier to allow eight more robots for a 32 competitor bracket and just eliminate the concept of the wildcard completely? It would really decrease drama and be much more organized. I know it can't be fixed now, but maybe for another Battlebots competition? Maybe?