Poll

What metagames would you be willing to build in for a tournament?

DSL-IRL
DSL-S
Ironforge-S
Stock

Author Topic: Your Favourite Type of Tournament  (Read 1739 times)

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Your Favourite Type of Tournament
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
I want to get back into doing tournaments but I don't really know what people are into, atm. I have some ideas for non-IRL tournaments but I want to know what non-IRL metagame, if any, the majority of the community like.

The main idea(s) that I want to do would be based on how Pokemon changes up their rules every year to make the same game very different every format. For example, I'd quite like to do a stock tournament with Z-Teks banned, or possibly limited to regular power, or limited to one or two. Or, a stock tournament done in the original base game (no AI components or whatever 1.4 changes.) There are so many simple and basic ideas that can force people to design and think in different ways. Constraint really does make creativity flourish. Would peeps be interested in this sort of concept for a tournament?

If it turns out people only have a boner for IRL, I don't think I'll be doing more tournaments.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
Re: Your Favourite Type of Tournament
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »
I want to get back into doing tournaments but I don't really know what people are into, atm. I have some ideas for non-IRL tournaments but I want to know what non-IRL metagame, if any, the majority of the community like.

The main idea(s) that I want to do would be based on how Pokemon changes up their rules every year to make the same game very different every format. For example, I'd quite like to do a stock tournament with Z-Teks banned, or possibly limited to regular power, or limited to one or two. Or, a stock tournament done in the original base game (no AI components or whatever 1.4 changes.) There are so many simple and basic ideas that can force people to design and think in different ways. Constraint really does make creativity flourish. Would peeps be interested in this sort of concept for a tournament?

If it turns out people only have a boner for IRL, I don't think I'll be doing more tournaments.
I prefer IRL, but I also like to join tourneys and see my bot fight, so I will join any tourneys even if it's not IRL. Though I prefer DSL-S than Stock for non IRL tourney

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
there are so many IRL tournaments currently it would be nice to see some IF/dsl-s just for diversity

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 06:59:24 PM »
If I did a DSL-S tournament, what basic restrictions could make an interesting impact? Same question for IF

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 07:02:39 PM »
I think restrictions aren't the answer tbh, it's hard enough getting people to build DSL-S or Stock to a reasonable standard as-is. IMO having the gimmicks be in the tournament format instead of the building restrictions is the way to go

If you were to go for restrictions though, giving each entrant a random bot type (or even an RA2 Randomizer/build a bot with dice spec list) would be cool.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »
i think stock with the big 4 weapons banned (razors, irons, maces, and bear claws) would be pretty woke

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 07:34:31 PM »
If you want a really gimmicky idea, you could do something like, "each person who enters gets to ban one part".  Or, "all parts start banned, everyone gets to unban one part". Something crazy like that.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 07:53:42 PM »
If I did a DSL-S tournament, what basic restrictions could make an interesting impact? Same question for IF
Maybe make people do hybrids, and then have the weapon types for the hybrid randomly chosen to builders if they post that they want to join in the tourney thread

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 08:16:39 PM »
For fun, I would enter a DSL-IRL tourney, since even with it's problems, it's what I always wanted to do in RA2 anyway, taking it.  For competitive on the other hand, I'm all for stock since it's a meta-game that not only makes use of the competitive nature of tournaments without many restrictions, but also can have some entertaining bouts.  All ya need to do is look at the bouts from Redemption to see that.  :D

As for weird interesting ideas, maybe an elimination bracket where if you lose a part, it's gone for good?  Might need some restrictions or advantages to make it work cause you might get weaponless bots in the final, and that's never okay.  It's a weird pitch, but I also am for 09's idea.  That would be pretty fun to build for that.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
If you want a really gimmicky idea, you could do something like, "each person who enters gets to ban one part".  Or, "all parts start banned, everyone gets to unban one part". Something crazy like that.
This is the exact opposite of what I'm getting at. This is also a response to what Badger said. I don't want to completely restrict people's ability to make bots by throwing a crap ton of gimmicky restrictions on them. I want 1, possibly 2, very basic restriction that would genuinely alter builds. 09 is more on my wavelength, yet I think hard-banning all 4 weapons isn't the most efficient of ideas.

I think restrictions aren't the answer tbh, it's hard enough getting people to build DSL-S or Stock to a reasonable standard as-is.
If you were to go for restrictions though, giving each entrant a random bot type (or even an RA2 Randomizer/build a bot with dice spec list) would be cool.
The restrictions could help those that already struggle because they may not have to deal with something they couldn't quite perfect. I actually think assigning a bot type completely stifles creativity. I want people to do the best they can with each set of rules and use a bot type that works for them, just how people may switch-up their playing styles in Pokemon depending on what's allowed in the current season. Telling people what to build is much more restrictive and boring, imo. You're gonna have a crap time if you are told to build a rammer but your opponent was told to build a gut-ripper. However, if both of you simply couldn't use Black Batteries, the playing field is equal and both players are free to come up with a creative solution to the meta.

As for weird interesting ideas, maybe an elimination bracket where if you lose a part, it's gone for good?  Might need some restrictions or advantages to make it work cause you might get weaponless bots in the final, and that's never okay.  It's a weird pitch, but I also am for 09's idea.  That would be pretty fun to build for that.
Again, this is quite a complicated gimmick. I just want a simple and easy-to-understand change to the rules that shakes up the metagame and makes people think outside the box or, simply, in a different way than usual. 09's idea is a good example.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 08:30:25 PM »
This is the exact opposite of what I'm getting at. This is also a response to what Badger said. I don't want to completely restrict people's ability to make bots by throwing a crap ton of gimmicky restrictions on them. I want 1, possibly 2, very basic restriction that would genuinely alter builds. 09 is more on my wavelength, yet I think hard-banning all 4 weapons isn't the most efficient of ideas.

In that case, I had fun running Tricycle Takedown (3 wheeled bots only). Not saying "do that", just, is that closer to what you're looking for?

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 09:07:30 PM »

In that case, I had fun running Tricycle Takedown (3 wheeled bots only). Not saying "do that", just, is that closer to what you're looking for?
Not quite, because that gimmick forces something on the builders, whereas I'm looking for restrictions (basically just hard and soft bans) that alters the prop pool.

On that note, as well, Pokemon has formats in which sh** really hits the fan and OP is allowed, rather than restricting stuff. So, cheatbot2 being allowed is an example of a rule that I'm looking out for, too.

My aim is alter the meta in the most efficient way possible. I don't want gimmicks.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
i've said it before and it's an unpopular opinion but I think standard is the absolute best tournament meta for both pvp and ai cause it plays to ra2's strengths. you build the best bot you can with the building systems in place. I also think that Ironforge is overall a better meta than DSL for standard just due to the balance of it (and i love the ballast system). i like people building the best things they can duking it out instead of something at an arbitrary level of battle competence fighting
stock is fine too, just the well is running a bit dry on that end and it takes so much longer to build in. also not as good in pvp imo.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
i think stock with the big 4 weapons banned (razors, irons, maces, and bear claws) would be pretty woke
This. I'm already thinking of a design with Hammers (the ones CRUSH & ALARM use in Stock) and Pointy tips.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 11:36:24 AM »
yugi, have you thought about doing a parsec tourney for the euros? I haven't been able to let them in centauri due to lag issues but I know a lot of people that would go for it. would also help popularize pvp which in turn lets people build a variety of new designs that wouldn't be as effective with ai
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »
yugi, have you thought about doing a parsec tourney for the euros? I haven't been able to let them in centauri due to lag issues but I know a lot of people that would go for it. would also help popularize pvp which in turn lets people build a variety of new designs that wouldn't be as effective with ai
Am actually planning about that as i have a more capable cpu now

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 02:41:42 PM »
The thought crossed my mind but I don't really think I'd enjoy it. I really like AI. Building the best possible design then leaving the rest to the AI makes it seem more like a strategy game, to me, which I prefer over making constant realtime decisions.

This. I'm already thinking of a design with Hammers (the ones CRUSH & ALARM use in Stock) and Pointy tips.
I might do this. I do like the concept.