Poll

Which meta should we use for standard?

Ironforge
DSL 2.1
DSL 2.2

Author Topic: gtmcs 3?  (Read 6106 times)

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
gtmcs 3?
« on: January 30, 2019, 03:38:28 PM »
Well, it can't get any worse can it?

So title topic says it all. Post your thoughts and ideas on a potential GTMCS 3.

If it does happen this year then I think we can all agree that we should have multiple hosts from the start of the tournament. I do have a fee people who offered to host the next GTMCS, but idk if those offers are still valid.

Personally I hope we can find a working system for GTMCS. The last one was the largest tournament in GTM's recent history
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
Re: gtmcs 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 03:43:16 PM »
Group stages  heck
Things I did & done

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
Give it better organisation and structure Boomer.

P.S Badnik lesbian
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Based
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Code#4035
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 03:47:56 PM »
I'd like to see the use of a RW series 7 format, everyone has 4 entries, and seeded robots do not count towards the 4 entries (16 seeds will be chosen by the top 16 of GTMCS2) and if we hit more than 128 entries, we will have qualifier rounds.
Based

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »
I'm down for another GTMCS. Personally I'd prefer just straight up the same straight double elim format as the last one but executed in a more timely manner. To me a heat/group format just doesn't seem right for an "official" tourney.

Gotta have all 3 of the main metas represented in my mind too, since this is meant to represent all of GTM.

Don't agree with allowing multiple entries either. 1 or maybe 2 in each meta seems about right to me. Force people to narrow down to their best rather than reentering the same old sh** we've seen 45 times before in other tournies.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:59:28 PM »
I'm down for another GTMCS. Personally I'd prefer just straight up the same straight double elim format as the last one but executed in a more timely manner. To me a heat/group format just doesn't seem right for an "official" tourney.

Gotta have all 3 of the main metas represented in my mind too, since this is meant to represent all of GTM.

Don't agree with allowing multiple entries either. 1 or maybe 2 in each meta seems about right to me. Force people to narrow down to their best rather than reentering the same old sh** we've seen 45 times before in other tournies.
This TBH.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:30:01 PM »
I can host irl part
I have clinical depression

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 04:46:03 PM »
Double Elimination is the simplest approach that makes sure people don't get quickly taken out by my generic 36hs. It also brings back memories to the BBEANS generation. I would prefer this overall.

Heats have worked generally work on tournament style TV shows because you get a lot of content/contestants in and out. But the system is not fair to people who get bad draws. To fix that you either lot of fairly applied wildcard spots or you a large, time-consuming, Frankenstein formats akin to what was seen in the Robot Wars reboot.

Something really unique would be a system based off of some North American (and Australian) sports. You have a "group stage" with 8 groups of 8. You earn points based on how you win your fights and the top robot(s) from each group advance to a championship tournament. The twist is that instead of a generic round-robin some extra matches will be held between members of different groups. In my view, those last matches are more dramatic because they’re each affecting two groups.

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »
Keep the double elimination. It works well for this sort of tournament being easy to set up with all the metas.

Like wise, I would like to see an selection of definite back-up hosts. Seeing the course of the last tournament, Badnik wasn't a bad host until hardware difficulties and other issues occurred, resulting in GTMCS2 being put on hiatus for weeks or even months. Because Badnik was the only  host, no one could just pick-up the tournament from when the host slips on schedule due to Badnik, holding onto the majority of GTMCS2's bots and AI bindings. It wasn't until Kill step in around September last year to give the files to the mods. As a result, the tournament took almost a year to complete, when it could of been over much quicker. By having definite, multiple hosts, if one slips on schedule, another could take over with ease, preventing most of the issues from last time around.   

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 07:25:21 PM »
I mean, if nothing else, I might be able to chip in and offer a hand.  Maybe with at least one section of the tourney.

Also, this is more a suggestion, I get diversity is nice and all, but should we at least try all metas with just a HW weightclass?  It's probably the most popular weightclass, it's simple for hosts, could provide some entertaining matches, and give the builder a good amount of freedom in design to be honest.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 07:34:28 PM »
If nobody else steps up I'm happy to host the DSL-S section, or at least help with AI-ing or editing if need be
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 07:41:15 PM »
retooled bracket pls
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
I'd like to see the use of a RW series 7 format, everyone has 4 entries, and seeded robots do not count towards the 4 entries (16 seeds will be chosen by the top 16 of GTMCS2) and if we hit more than 128 entries, we will have qualifier rounds.
cringe & bluepilled. what you're describing sounds like you want gtmcs to become a chinese knockoff of OW

based & billypilled. agreed on the current format

I can host irl part
I have clinical depression
same
Double Elimination is the simplest approach that makes sure people don't get quickly taken out by my generic 36hs. It also brings back memories to the BBEANS generation. I would prefer this overall.

Heats have worked generally work on tournament style TV shows because you get a lot of content/contestants in and out. But the system is not fair to people who get bad draws. To fix that you either lot of fairly applied wildcard spots or you a large, time-consuming, Frankenstein formats akin to what was seen in the Robot Wars reboot.

Something really unique would be a system based off of some North American (and Australian) sports. You have a "group stage" with 8 groups of 8. You earn points based on how you win your fights and the top robot(s) from each group advance to a championship tournament. The twist is that instead of a generic round-robin some extra matches will be held between members of different groups. In my view, those last matches are more dramatic because they’re each affecting two groups.
sounds way too complex for both the host and the average viewer tbh

I mean, if nothing else, I might be able to chip in and offer a hand.  Maybe with at least one section of the tourney.

Also, this is more a suggestion, I get diversity is nice and all, but should we at least try all metas with just a HW weightclass?  It's probably the most popular weightclass, it's simple for hosts, could provide some entertaining matches, and give the builder a good amount of freedom in design to be honest.
all 3 metas will probably end up as HW since the only remaining weightclass for the stock/IF divisions is HW, and IRL really isn't that popular below HW (not counting CW).

If people want to vote on the weightclasses, then I'm cool with that as well. although i do feel that HW would be the best for all three metas involved

retooled bracket pls
delete retooled and your account

The arena to be used is still up in the air. One idea I had was to use a different arena for each meta to help certain bot types in stock and If.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:11:19 AM by geese »

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
Quote from: geese
The arena to be used is still up in the air. One idea I had was to use a different arena for each meta to help certain bot types in stock and If.
The GTMCS2 arena seemed to work pretty well for IRL and Stock. In an arena that was harder to get OOTAs in verts would probably have dominated even more than they ended up doing in the IRL division.

Stock seemed to work okay too. Maybe an arena with something in the centre a la the BBEANS arena would have prevented the boxrush install KOs that we saw, but then that would take away the viability of a but like Fractures, which was pretty neat to watch wrecking HSes and Popups last time.

IF is the only real place I can see needing a substantial change of arena. Flippers are already strong as hell in IF and in arena with walls as low as the GTMCS2 arena had one was always gonna win.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 05:44:50 PM »
Quote from: geese
The GTMCS2 arena seemed to work pretty well for IRL and Stock. In an arena that was harder to get OOTAs in verts would probably have dominated even more than they ended up doing in the IRL division.

Stock seemed to work okay too. Maybe an arena with something in the centre a la the BBEANS arena would have prevented the boxrush install KOs that we saw, but then that would take away the viability of a but like Fractures, which was pretty neat to watch wrecking HSes and Popups last time.

IF is the only real place I can see needing a substantial change of arena. Flippers are already strong as hell in IF and in arena with walls as low as the GTMCS2 arena had one was always gonna win.
Box rush kills aren't my biggest worry with stock, it's mainly how dominant HS are compared to other bot types at the HW level. that is just the nature of the meta tho, and they aren't completely invincible so if nobody else has an issue I'm fine with whatever arena people want

IF will probably be either an enclosed arena or the old arena with flippers banned (and maybe a very small increase to wall height since imo the walls are way too short for IF HW)

other that that, are we good with using the gtmcs 2 arena? or would you prefer a different one?

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 07:28:35 PM »
I would still prefer something like the BBEANS V2 Arena if just for a hazard that actually tests turning or wedge capabilities of the AI.  I also agree with the arena for IF being enclosed or banning flippers entirely.  If possible, maybe the ELBITE arena could provide the best of both worlds?  Hell, maybe just give every meta a unique arena designed with it in mind so that each tournament feels a tad more unique.  Just a thought.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
I would still prefer something like the BBEANS V2 Arena if just for a hazard that actually tests turning or wedge capabilities of the AI.  I also agree with the arena for IF being enclosed or banning flippers entirely.  If possible, maybe the ELBITE arena could provide the best of both worlds?  Hell, maybe just give every meta a unique arena designed with it in mind so that each tournament feels a tad more unique.  Just a thought.
I'm really not a fan of hazards in the center of the arena, or at least the one bbeans arena. fme, it usually just screws over wide robots that get snagged on the barrier, or it just force everyone to use a higher than average radius that screws with the AI when it's near the flippers

Haven't seen the elbite arena yet but I'll check it out

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:11 AM »
I'm a big fan of the ELBITE arena. It's the most balanced arena for all bot types in my experience
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline moziet

• rat
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • why does code get a pink name and not me :o(
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: moziet#6338