Which do you prefer.

3 Metas (Stock, Ironforge, and DSL-S)
21 (55.3%)
2 Metas (Stock and Ironforge)
14 (36.8%)
1 Meta (Stock, Ironforge, or DSL-S)
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: GTMCS 2: Discussion  (Read 3743 times)

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
GTMCS 2: Discussion
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:26:22 AM »
Since we're nearing the 1 year mark of the first official tournament, we might as well at least discuss the prospect of a sequel.

Discuss what metas, format, or pretty much any ideas you'd like to see. Currently we have absolutely zero planning or preperations done right now, so you're ideas are as good as ours.

I know the last GTMCS left a bad taste in the majority of entrants, so please come forward with what you think would make the tournament a bigger success. Alternatively, feel free to state why you think we shouldn't host another official tournament or if we should look into another form of an official league.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:38:46 PM by Geice »
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: GTMCS 2: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 02:30:58 AM »
getting whatever schlick was supposed to send the prizes to do so would be a good start
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:33:42 AM »
getting whatever schlick was supposed to send the prizes to do so would be a good start
Well, you made the prizes for the first tournament and I not 100% sure if the winners did receive any of the prizes apart from the custom rank they won. They might of received the prizes, but I never heard anything about them using them or receiving them.

Also, if you (Geice or someone else) were to run another GTMCS, not only I would like to see what Yugitom had planned from the last time like the planned rumbles including the SFTW rumble. But I have thought of some ideas for the meta-games which doesn't include IRL: DSL-S Lightweight, Ironforge-S MW and Stock HW.

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:46:53 AM »
make it like ufc where someone gets a title and nobody else can get it cause he left the forums

in all seriousness, i think the forums challenge board champions should be integrated, ie ty4er should be the official stock champ etc.
beep beep

Offline FightingBotInformal

• wait, i'm still here?
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -12
  • how tf did i even remember my password lol
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: meet me at RA2 central ig
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 03:49:12 AM »
If there is a second tournament, will there be seeds or will it randomize, and who is going to host, now that Thrackerzod has disappeared out of the blue?
my weeb headass with my anime avatar is gone

hmu on discord for anime or music recommendations or to talk ab some sports sh** idk

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 10:14:41 AM »
I am still hoping that there can be some kind of results archive created for the first tournament; it was one of my favourite things about BBEANS. On a private website, a dedicated GTMCS wiki, or the GTM homepage there could be the completed brackets, award winners, mathematical standings, and maybe a short blurb on each winner's path to the trophy. There needs to be a legacy attached to it all; otherwise it feels like just another GTM tournament come and gone.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 10:30:02 AM »
For such a 'prestigious' tournament (or as close as an RA2 tournament can get, at least), I think we should use a GSL or at least Swiss format with group stages instead of a straight double elim bracket. I also think nobody gives a sh** about the prizes, being random custom components only usable by a single person. I'd also like to see some less serious side tournaments, like Sumo.

I know you've mentioned that you're struggling to find hosts; I'd probably be available to host, if you trust me enough. I'd like to start uni and see how that affects my free time before I commit to anything, though.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »
DSL-IRL HW, because Robot wars & Battlebots, also Retooled was a mistake

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 12:31:25 PM »
Look TGM. I know that this was said back in the first thread that I looked over if you don't remember, but I remember that some users have been saying that they don't want IRL building in an official tournament. For the main reason being the sheer amount of IRL tournaments that happen around the time, as well as today with GTM Robogames, the sheer increase in IRL builders/users and the over dominants of IRL building as a whole . If the board uses IRL constantly in tournaments and in an forum official tournament , the whole forum will just be a swamp full of IRL building and kills the variety of many of the Meta-games including Stock. So by promoting other classes, it add the variety and encourages people to build into different games and meta classes before being consumed by IRL Bot building.  This may be different with Geice and he may allow it, but I doubt some non-IRL building users will want IRL in a meta-game class for this tournament.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
we really do need an official tournament. nothing gets the forum going like a BBEANS. no problem with making the GTMCS 2 better than the first rather than just giving up on it

Multiple hosts would be a good idea. The main problem with the tourney was just the videos never got up on time. Not really sure why we can't have separate AIers too, I've hosted a fair number of tournaments and I can say it gets real draining after a while esp with one as large as this. I may be available to host, but I'll need to see.

I really don't see how IRL can be used in this though. IRL is not about combat efficiency, it's about show. The game does not handle IRL AI well, and there is gonna be tons of whining about some dood making an IRL bot that just baaarely qualifies in order to spam weapons or something.

Not sure about the Metas. Just something common enough, I like the idea of retooled but I dont think it's ready yet. Ironforge though I think is the standout contender, it's basically made specifically for efficiency building.
We don't necessarily need to have 3 like last time. BBEANS did great with just 1, it was high profile enough that even people who didn't normally build in the meta submitted something because its friggin bbeans

I am still hoping that there can be some kind of results archive created for the first tournament; it was one of my favourite things about BBEANS. On a private website, a dedicated GTMCS wiki, or the GTM homepage there could be the completed brackets, award winners, mathematical standings, and maybe a short blurb on each winner's path to the trophy. There needs to be a legacy attached to it all; otherwise it feels like just another GTM tournament come and gone.

this 100%
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zpWsE5m4SgQ0Lk4TIaJPajIf0FiwOk6OkNhZx3zJFP8/edit?usp=drive_web

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
I am willing to run an IRL-style Beat the Clock/Sumo style event in conjunction with other events, although I personally think there would be enough room to support a IRL class in the normal competition.
I see no reason not to include Retooled and IF though. It gets people building in metas they may not usually build in, and helps make people more familiar with them. That was the case with myself, I returned last year shortly before signups opened, and those bots built for IF and Retooled were the first times I'd explored those metas.

Also, I echo the sentiments that there needs to be more done with the previous championship to document them and preserve them.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 02:40:56 PM »
I don't see why you gotta remove by far the most popular meta purely because it doesn't suit a competitive event. If that's the case why run IRL tournaments at all in the first place?

As long as it's hosted by someone who actually bothers to turn away sh** that's blatantly overpowered or wouldn't work IRL, even if it was technically possible, then it doesn't need to be an issue. By excluding DSL IRL all you're doing is limiting this tournament to either having a tiny number of participants, or having a huge number of sh**bots from people who normally only build IRL but shove in an entry in stock or whatever purely because they want to compete in the championship.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
Look TGM. I know that this was said back in the first thread that I looked over if you don't remember, but I remember that some users have been saying that they don't want IRL building in an official tournament. For the main reason being the sheer amount of IRL tournaments that happen around the time, as well as today with GTM Robogames, the sheer increase in IRL builders/users and the over dominants of IRL building as a whole . If the board uses IRL constantly in tournaments and in an forum official tournament , the whole forum will just be a swamp full of IRL building and kills the variety of many of the Meta-games including Stock. So by promoting other classes, it add the variety and encourages people to build into different games and meta classes before being consumed by IRL Bot building.  This may be different with Geice and he may allow it, but I doubt some non-IRL building users will want IRL in a meta-game class for this tournament.
I get it. IRL is just for showing off...
Well. I guess, i am not entering it then.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »
I added a poll, you should vote.
And if you care at all, you can enter IRL bots into DSL-S still as long as they follow DSL-S rules.

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 03:15:31 PM »
What will the weight classes be under 2 metas? A LW and a HW are different to watch IMO.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »
What will the weight classes be under 2 metas? A LW and a HW are different to watch IMO.
Ironforge: Either MW or HW
Stock: Either LW or HW
DSL: Whatever needs to be filled.

Not sure why LW and HW are too different to watch when they are totally different metas in the first place though.....

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »
For all the people voting for DSL-S, look at how many people have entered DSL-S for International Wars. It's a dead meta that's been entirely replaced by Ironforge.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »
I don't see why you gotta remove by far the most popular meta purely because it doesn't suit a competitive event.

because it is a competitive event. IRL by definition is not competitive. It's not the fault of IRL, it's the fault of RA2. you can't really build IRL for RA2 battle efficiency, if you do then you're building standard. IRL is for looks.

For all the people voting for DSL-S, look at how many people have entered DSL-S for International Wars. It's a dead meta that's been entirely replaced by Ironforge.
i tend to agree.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
IRL in something where trying to win is actually encouraged and where the environnement is heavily competitive is asking for a bracket full of utter tryhard cancer and all the salt-filled madness it implies, IF is the way to go in my opinion
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768