Poll

Would you enter?

Yes
13 (76.5%)
No
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: GTM Global Online - Discussion  (Read 1891 times)

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
GTM Global Online - Discussion
« on: October 04, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »
Before I went forward with a tournament that I may have fallen out of love with, I've decided to nip it in the bud and go forward with this idea. Because I can't be arsed to put a lot of things in bold, just read everything.

Because Reier is a very bad man, the only 2 proper GTM online tournaments have been small and NA only. This online tournament is for everyone-ish! There are caveats that apply to everyone but there are no regions that are off-limits. The further away you are from the United Kingdom, the better your internet strength needs to be in order to enter. An average internet strength should work for those that live east of MIMAL. Those that live further away than MIMAL may require a stronger than average internet connection in order to play at a satisfactory latency. If you want to test the connection strength between me and you, just ask.

Building Rules:
Ironforge (standard)
MW
No naughty glitches
No cheatbot2
You are not allowed to update your bot once it's accepted, although you can attempt to enter as many times as you need
When sending your entry to me, you must send me 2 exact same copies with completely different controls. Reier did a colour layout to make sure controls never overlapped but I'm just going to tell you to use your common sense. If you're using WAS to move up, left and down, don't use K to turn right. You must be prepared to use 1 of 2 possible keys for your weapon. If you just want me to rob Reier's diagram/rules on keys, just scream at me.

Tournament and Match Rules:
No cap on entries
Double elimination
Metal Skull Arena (subject to change if people scream loud enough)
Best of 3 fights
3 minute fights
Any havok will cause the fight to restart. If I have reason to believe your robot is causing too many havoks, I will DQ you

Notes:
I reserve my right to deny your entry for any reason, although I will always be reasonable
When building and when driving, please try and be a good sportsman. Use your common sense at all times, basically
I am very flexible when it comes to recording times. However, if you are never free on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, do not enter. Again, use your common sense, I cannot stress this enough. If you're a little kiddo whose parents like to turn your PC off without consent on a regular basis, don't enter. If you're going on holiday soon, don't enter. If you're still bound by the whims of your parents, for the love of God, ask your parents what the plans are for the month. If your times aren't that flexible and you think your available times won't coincide with the majority, don't enter
Please provide me with your Parsec ID when you send your entry

Have I missed anything? Do you want the metagame/arena/literally anything changed? Let me know the things
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:50:34 AM by yugitom »

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: GTM Global Online - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
I would definitely like to test out online play with you sometime.  I'll enter if it seems reasonable enough.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
I would definitely like to test out online play with you sometime.  I'll enter if it seems reasonable enough.
Be sure to message me on here or Discord, then, and we can get a time sorted to test out our connection.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »
do you mean the stock compressor or the octagon shaped one with the fancy walls?
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 04:59:39 PM »
do you mean the stock compressor or the octagon shaped one with the fancy walls?
The former. I don't know what the latter is.

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
oh sh** someone finally did a parsec comp that's not just for NA, sign me up dear sir
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 05:26:23 PM »
im in canada but ill do a lag test first and then sign up
parsec been working fine for me on everyone in NA i have connected to

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
I think I want to join, but I can't get Parsec to work at my and I also live in Indonesia, which is both far and don't have an Internet speed as good as the UK or US, so

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
i'm in even though i am the bad man and may lag in UK.

I hope you are able to host a tournament online with 8+ people though. it's very difficult to coordinate people esp with different timezones. don't expect this to be over with in a month or 2. plan for it being very long. it's better to have infrequent good matches than have tons of people ragequit or not be able to connect at a given time. I highly recommend making a discord channel specifically for the tournament like I did.

feel free to steal anything from the centauri rules if you need including images.

compressor arena has bad camera angles and may encourage camping. not sure if it's a good choice. if you don't want octagon (which is a very good arena in pvp), I recommend half circle or metal skull. just be sure to buff the hazards to ironforge standards. you need hazards in PVP if you want variety.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
compressor arena has bad camera angles and may encourage camping. not sure if it's a good choice. if you don't want octagon (which is a very good arena in pvp), I recommend half circle or metal skull. just be sure to buff the hazards to ironforge standards. you need hazards in PVP if you want variety.
I did initially want to go with Metal Skull but the massive pit seems like a pretty easy/cheap win con. Half Circle feels too cramped. I'll test out the action cam with the Compressor Arena. And I'm not too sure what you mean by encouraging camping, other than both bots refusing to leave the starting gates. What do people feel about the current arena choice and possible fallback options like the Electric Arena and the Metal Skull? Have any suggestions for better arenas?

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »
I did initially want to go with Metal Skull but the massive pit seems like a pretty easy/cheap win con. Half Circle feels too cramped. I'll test out the action cam with the Compressor Arena. And I'm not too sure what you mean by encouraging camping, other than both bots refusing to leave the starting gates. What do people feel about the current arena choice and possible fallback options like the Electric Arena and the Metal Skull? Have any suggestions for better arenas?

well personally I would also use a class lighter than HW for online but its your call. my reasoning is that you need a lot of room to move around for strategic reasons and  I think LWs are actually the perfect size for most stock arenas (whether that is a class you'd want to film i'll leave up to you). they crash way less too, it happens more with parsec than you may be used to.

if you want HWs, I would try an arena about the size of the DSL tourney one. I wouldn't use that one specifically, just the size.
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
Just tested and it's playable enough so I'm in

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »
After testing with Thracker, he said that his latency was fine and he could do a tournament in it. However, our game did crash with HWs, so I am considering lowering the weight class. I definitely forgot how prone IF is to crashing.

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 06:51:11 PM »
MW or LW in IF still gives lots build options and more strategic decisions on weapons defense and driving style depending on arena.
on arena choice i like pits in PvP but im biased (see centari 2) but an arena with open area but rewards driving skill with pit/hazards is ideal so octagon or RW arena with buffed hazards work

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
I'd recommend either MW or LW. didn't really have it crash mid-match with either.

MW gives a little more variety but LW is definitely easier and faster to build a bot, will help with those who aren't confident in ironforge

pvp LW isn't bad at all. you can outdrive a lot of the dumb things AI does that make LW matches 'boring'
ReiAI pack for Ironforge

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 10:53:01 PM »
yeah the compressor arena would suck just due to the camera angles and fences, if you edited the start points and put them in the middle of the arena it would be ok. i would also rather see mw instead of lw because lw just feels a bit to restrictive

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 11:01:18 PM »
MW give those new to IF a bit more freedom so less daunting to make something

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 03:51:08 AM »
HW changed to MW and Compressor changed to Metal Skull.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 03:56:51 AM »
Will you add rentals for those who have a bot for it, but can't enter for some reason?

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 04:05:54 AM »
Split it into regions. EU - NA isnt gud
Hope yall enter great bots and have fun