Author Topic: General Tournament Discussion  (Read 140062 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: General Tournament Discussion
« Reply #1240 on: October 10, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
an idea.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
A Team Tag Tournament, but you don't need to find partner.
First off, you join the tournament. After the sign up over, I will show which guys you teamed up with.

Shuffle Mates? More like, Shuffle Man.
Better idea: new teammate every round, the winning pair do a 1v1 to determine the champion
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #1241 on: October 10, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »
an idea.
First off, you join the tournament. After the sign up over, I will show which guys you teamed up with.

Better idea: new teammate every round, the winning pair do a 1v1 to determine the champion

I actually really enjoy that idea
Things I did & done

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1242 on: October 10, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »
I was planning on making a Keep Your Enemies Close 2 anyway, so this is some nice encouragement that you'd actually enter.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #1243 on: October 10, 2018, 01:19:08 PM »
an idea.

I actually really enjoy that idea
Same here.  I would love to enter that, especially in a fun meta.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1244 on: October 10, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
an idea.

You have to call it tag team tussle 2 then tbh

https://gametechmods.com/forums/multi-entry-signups/tag-team-tussle-*teams-up*/

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1245 on: December 22, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »
I have an idea for a tournament, but I can't do it by myself.

It's an DSL2.3 IRL tournament that uses a point system to determine the quality and quantity of entrants you want to bring in.

The idea is to encourage a variety in quality of competitors, like in real life. We kinda already have it with the different levels of skill amongst the various builders here, but I think we can go a step further:

Let's have all builders, pros and not pros, use a system where you can either choose between entering a single, super-effective design, or multiple ineffective designs. It would be REALLY hard to figure out what kind of system it would take to make this balanced and fair, so that someone who enters one try-hard design has as much chance to win as a person who enters 5 sh**ty designs. It's almost like a simulation of money: High-end, powerful bots cost a lot, low-end robots don't. The difference is that we all start with the same amount of points, or cash, but what we do with it is different. You could either enter with 1 good entry or several bad entries.  I think it's fair, if it's done right.

What makes for a good design? Something that uses NPC Fasts, is invertible, has a powerful weapon, etc. Anything common that you'd see in try-hard designs. It's ok to make them, but it takes a lot of points. If you have a robot that has a powerful weapon, but can't self-right, or a robot with weak armor, poor drive, etc, then that takes up less points, meaning you can make multiple low-end bots.

It's just an idea, and idea I can't do by myself. What do you all think?

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1246 on: December 22, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »
why not just build standard since it avoids those problems
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #1247 on: December 22, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
Why not just focus on hosting your own standard tournaments rather than spending your time moaning that nobody else is hosting them?
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1248 on: December 22, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »
Why not just focus on hosting your own standard tournaments rather than spending your time moaning that nobody else is hosting them?
sorry for helping padre.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #1249 on: December 22, 2018, 05:03:02 PM »
sorry for helping padre.
Pretty odd definition of "helping" you got there man.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Based
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Code#4035
« Reply #1250 on: December 22, 2018, 06:14:43 PM »

It's an DSL2.3 IRL tournament that uses a point system to determine the quality and quantity of entrants you want to bring in.

The idea is to encourage a variety in quality of competitors, like in real life. We kinda already have it with the different levels of skill amongst the various builders here, but I think we can go a step further:

Let's have all builders, pros and not pros, use a system where you can either choose between entering a single, super-effective design, or multiple ineffective designs. It would be REALLY hard to figure out what kind of system it would take to make this balanced and fair, so that someone who enters one try-hard design has as much chance to win as a person who enters 5 sh**ty designs. It's almost like a simulation of money: High-end, powerful bots cost a lot, low-end robots don't. The difference is that we all start with the same amount of points, or cash, but what we do with it is different. You could either enter with 1 good entry or several bad entries.  I think it's fair, if it's done right.

What makes for a good design? Something that uses NPC Fasts, is invertible, has a powerful weapon, etc. Anything common that you'd see in try-hard designs. It's ok to make them, but it takes a lot of points. If you have a robot that has a powerful weapon, but can't self-right, or a robot with weak armor, poor drive, etc, then that takes up less points, meaning you can make multiple low-end bots.

Seems like a good idea
Based

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #1251 on: December 22, 2018, 06:58:14 PM »

Intriguing entry balancing. I'd be down.

Heads up, no one uses 2.3 tbh, it's just 2.2 with some new things that dont sway people to jump over.
Things I did & done

Offline TommyProductionsInc

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 12
  • The Forum Autistic
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1252 on: December 22, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »

Intriguing entry balancing. I'd be down.

Heads up, no one uses 2.3 tbh, it's just 2.2 with some new things that dont sway people to jump over.

Would anyone be willing to host it?

Offline WhatAmI

• help
  • Antweight
  • Rep: -9
  • nope
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1253 on: December 26, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
Just a suggestion.
Title Name: Eviction Notice
DSL-IRL, Component freedom
16 robots can enter into the tournament. 1-3 robots per person. The gamemode can be either single or duos. The first challenge will be 4 melees, 4 robots in each. The winners of each melee will participate in a 4-way melee. The winner will be the House Leader. The builder of the robot will choose two nominees or duos. They will be at risk of being evicted. Then there will be a Safety Competition, where there will be challenges for the nominees and some of the safe robots. Whoever carries this idea comes up with ideas for challenges. This repeats (if there's duos, then there will be a merge) until 3 robots are left standing. There will be 3 challenges for them. The robot who wins the first challenge won't do the next challenge. The winner of the second challenge will face up against the first challenge winner. Whatever wins that challenge will have the builder of the winner to evict one of the robots. Then the remaining robots will be voted on the jury (builders of the robots who got voted out). The robots with the most voted will win the tournament.

That was long.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1254 on: March 05, 2019, 04:10:54 AM »
Would there be any interest in a DSL 2.1 standard tournament? "Boomer Brawl" or something like that.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1255 on: March 05, 2019, 04:14:32 AM »
yeh but only if it's hw
go big or go home

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1256 on: March 05, 2019, 06:39:29 AM »
ya. 2.1 DSL-S HW, no frills. some fun, flat arena. let's show the IRL bois what's a real tournament.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1257 on: March 05, 2019, 06:43:31 AM »
I'm totally game.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1258 on: March 05, 2019, 06:51:58 AM »
sure, at least we won't have any arguments about "it's too tryhard" or "it's not realistic" when this game is one of the worst if you really want to play a realistic robot combat sim
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1259 on: March 05, 2019, 07:13:18 AM »
sure, at least we won't have any arguments about "it's too tryhard" or "it's not realistic" when this game is one of the worst if you really want to play a realistic robot combat sim

i dunno, DSL-S HAS realism standards too  :gawe: