Author Topic: Fresh Metal (FULL)  (Read 5921 times)

Offline BSRaven

• Horribly Wrong Robotics
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 1
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • To my Youtube! Please excuse the dust.
    • Awards
Fresh Metal (FULL)
« on: May 23, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »
    Logo.png

So, here's the short story - I got into Robot Arena 2 through an offhand comment on Youtube, and started hanging around some of the RA2-related Discords as a result of that - some of you may have noticed my entry 'B80' in Orc's Wars, specifically the World Championship in 3. In doing so though, I noticed that I kept seeing a lot of the same names when it came to tournaments - Bocuma, Eyes On Me, and so on. This got me thinking - why not have a tournament that is wholly new bots out there that haven't really been seen?

Thus Fresh Metal was born. 36 robots not seen anywhere else, battling it out over 6 heats and a grand final in a reskinned Robot Wars 2016 arena, to see who is the king of the unseen. Before each heat, a vote will be held to show which entry in the heat is the fan favourite, after which there will be three 1-on-1 fights to open the heat. The 3 winners of these 1v1s will go through to the second round, alongside the most popular of the losers. To determine the heat winner, it will then be round robin format to determine the heat winner, with with ties being decided by rematch.

Build Rules:
    • DSL-IRL Heavyweights - 800kg weight limit, no nonsensical clipping. If you could cut a hole in it without affecting the bot, however, it's fair game.
    • Your bot cannot be an entrant from a previous tournament, or an upgraded version of an entry in a previous tournament.
    • Component Freedom and DSC IRL packs are allowed and encouraged, as is BFE for chassis height, extender colours and pixel chassis. OBJ bots are also allowed, provided they aren't too heavy on faces.
    • Reskinned components are okay, but only reskins. No wholesale custom parts.
    • Clusterbots are banned. Tried to make them work, but they break the Grand Final too much - sorry!
    • Swiss Army Bots are allowed 3 configurations. The chassis and internals unrelated to the weapon (batteries, drive system, armour etc.) should remain the same across configurations.
    • Flat Motors, Hworf Blades and the Overkill Motor are valid parts from cheatbot2. No others, however.
    • You are limited to 1 Beta Burst/Motor, or 2 VDMA Bursts of the same kind. No mixing and matching.
    • No Typhoon teeth or Mechavore/Microvore/Minion/Miniminion discs. We have so many other parts, let's see them!
    • No servos unless you can do your own AI and send it with the bot. ADDENDUM: I'm an idiot and forgot about Actuators. These fall under this rule.
    • No 'meltybrain' bots.
    • No bots using EternalFlame.py or logic.
    • Steel 10mm armour is banned.
    • No spamming or excessively stacking stuff. This rule applies to both extenders and weapons, and 'excessive' weapon stacking is considered more than 1 tooth per attachment point on the weapon. No doomstacks of teeth!
    • If the loadtime for your bot is too long or it crashes too much during testing, I reserve the right to reject it.
    • If you have a self-righting mechanism that clips through the floor too many times in a given fight, you will be ruled as immobilised.

These rules might look familiar - they're a modified version of the Orc's Wars ruleset, since that's what I have the most experience building towards, plus it's what got me into RA2 in such a big way in the first place.

Well, that's me about run out of things to say - here's hoping you guys like the idea and enough of you want to enter, heh. You're also more than welcome to leave your thoughts on what I've got here so far as well, since, well, new tournament host and all.

EDIT: Format layout below.

How To Submit?
    You can either PM me here, or on Discord (BSRaven#0126) with the bot file, the type of bot, and an optional 'team logo'.

Entries:
    • Black Hazard (Drum Spinner) - BSRaven
    • Zayzo (Horizontal Spinner) - Hoppin
    • Nature's Defender (Arm Flipper) - Billy
    • Caution (Horizontal Spinner) - Guldenflame
    • Pressure (Panel Flipper) - Kix
    • Quantum Star (Arm Flipper) - MrBK
    • Bigfin (Overhead Spinner) - Pierco
    • Warning (Horizontal Spinner) - Primeval
    • Galva III (Britflipper) - Sickle Robotics
    • Launch Evo (Front-Hinge Flipper) - Sagaris
    • Deadman's Party (Eggbeater) - Pokebro
    • 8 Wheels O' Terror (8WD Rammer) - Code Red
    • Twilight Rune (Vertical Spinner) - IdiotBrickDoctor
    • Aggressive Retsuko (Sawbot) - NickyDustyOwl
    • Claymore (Front-Hinge Flipper) - TheRoboteer
    • Green Mile High Club (Flipper) - GIRTHQUAKE
    • Duo (Double Clamp) - TheOrcCorp
    • Tired Iron (Hammer/Flipper swissbot) - Scrapyard24c
    • Fenrir (Biter Clamp) - Superbomb
    • Beckso (Eggbeater) - NeonCalypso
    • HofMaf2 (Angled spinner) - Nabíječka
    • ODB (Drum spinner) - Olister92
    • Burg (Bar spinner) - 8bean
    • 360 (Vertical spinner) - alloftheman
    • Chomping Frog (Biter) - NightRaven
    • Banisher (Axe/Lifter/Grabber/Flamer all-in-one) - Merrick
    • Cataclysm (Mad Rotating Axe Contraption) - TheDominusIgnis
    • Overheat (Dual Vertical Spinner) - SmallsmallRose
    • Ahri (4-bar Flipper) - Sevalent
    • Blackout (Hammer) - Hoppin (wait, what?)
    • Cosecha II (Drum Spinner) - TheRoboteer (Hang on, WHAT?)
    • Cold Steel (Vertical Spinner) - SamElliott64
    • Spinister (Bar Spinner) - Sickle Robotics
    • Scavenger (Big Sodding Plow) - Pierco
    • Permafrost 800 (Modular Spinner) - Strudel
    • Gamma (Vertical Spinner) - MrBK

Too Slow To Fix:
    • MCL-34 (Axebot) - Badger (Magical floating Burst motor. I want to see this thing perform damnit.)
    • Disprezzata 8 (Vertical spinner) - Kaiser (Nice try sneaking that clipped gas canister into your flamethrower, but I saw that.)
    • King Chrome (Hammer) - LartoBarto (That clipping STILL isn't okay.)
    • Evil Frog (Drum) - Wambo (Typhoon teeth AND those batteries clip into each other.)
    • Franken (Axe/Grinder) - AndyEyeCandy (I wanted to accept it. I really did. But the motors clipping out the back, and the wonky battery placements... sigh.)
    • Voodoo (Drum Spinner) - Code Red (Clipping batteries, drum also whacks drive motors whilst spinning)
    • Drago (Articulated Saw) - MrBK (Your saws are held on with hope and duct tape.)
    Outright Rejected:
    • The Blanc (Dual-ended Hammer) - Bildschirm (Overly long load time, creator withdrew instead of modifying)
    • Nibbler 4 - Olister92 (Rule 2 violation)
    • Big Star (Rammer) - Smallsmallrose (Linear Actuators. Creator chose to replace rather than 'repair'.)
      • Purple Heart (Drum) - Sevalent (Many, many crashes. Builder chose to withdraw entry instead.)

Hall of Shame:
      Hoppin - Jumped in right off the bat when signups started... With Typhoon Teeth.
      Pokebro - Tried to enter Eyes On Me.

Blue - Accepted!
      Brown - Testing
      Red - Problems Found
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:38:09 AM by BSRaven »
    This can't possibly go horribly wrong.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
    • Rep: 10
    • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
    • Awards BOTM Winner
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • Discord: Hoppin#0013
    Re: Fresh Metal
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
    How comfortable with your AI skills, recording, etc

Edit: Whats the opinion on ripping teeth?

Edit 2:
    'excessive' weapon stacking is considered more than 1 tooth

Uh, I think you missed something
    Things I did & done

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
    • Giga Heavyweight
    • Rep: 3
    • I wish to be with my people
    • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 03:46:22 PM »
    Banning 10mm steel seems pretty weird, and the burst restrictions seem a bit overly restrictive to me, especially for heavyweights. Other than that, it looks interesting. It's nice to see a new face around, and more tournament hosts are always welcome!
    also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
    Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
    • Middleweight
    • Rep: 4
      • https://www.youtube.com/c
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »
    Banning 10mm steel seems pretty weird, and the burst restrictions seem a bit overly restrictive to me, especially for heavyweights. Other than that, it looks interesting. It's nice to see a new face around, and more tournament hosts are always welcome!

IIRC correctly a lot of tournaments frown upon Steel 10 armour coz of how strong it is, but with all these tryhard verts around nowadays I don't see a problem with Steel 10 myself. Regardless, this looks like something I will happily enter.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • Rep: 22
    • anti-boomer super soldier
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 03:55:03 PM »
    you might want to put in a havok/crash clause. a lot of extenderbots are near impossible to record without issue nowadays

also are bots that have been showcased, but never entered into tournaments allowed?
    DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline BSRaven

• Antweight
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 03:57:43 PM »

I've got my same setup from back when I was trying to get on that Let's Play hype train back in like 2014 or so. Just need to modify it a little bit to work with RA2, and then we're good to go on the recording front. AI is going to be a little bit of a crapshoot, but I did call in a favour I was owed from a friend of mine who's a pro Python coder, so they will at least work in the end.

Fair game.

Too many bursts can cause physics weirdness, I've noticed. Steel-10 is one of those rules I'm not so sure about, but I'm keeping it for now since it's part of the OW ruleset and that's what I know.

you might want to put in a havok/crash clause. a lot of extenderbots are near impossible to record without issue nowadays
    Good catch. I knew I was forgetting something.

Uh... D'oh.

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
    • Super Heavyweight
    • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
    « Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 03:59:07 PM »
    Sounds like fun. Gonna have to have a bit of a think about what to build for this.
    My DSL Showcase

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
    • Heavyweight
    • Rep: -10
    • Based
      • https://www.youtube.com/c
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • Discord: Code#4035
    « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 04:03:07 PM »
    I'll probably get something entered in this
    Based

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
    • Rep: -3
    • H
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
    chad gonna enter this for sure

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
    • Rep: 20
    • A mean, green, small brained machine!
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »
    The poll for the 4th place in the Round Robin is a unique idea and encourages viewer engagement, it all sounds pretty interesting honestly: great to see a new host step up and I'm definitely looking at entering something into this! :bigsmile:
    GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
    GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
    GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
    • Rep: 10
    • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
    • Awards BOTM Winner
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • Discord: Hoppin#0013
    « Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 04:09:45 PM »

I've got my same setup from back when I was trying to get on that Let's Play hype train back in like 2014 or so. Just need to modify it a little bit to work with RA2, and then we're good to go on the recording front. AI is going to be a little bit of a crapshoot, but I did call in a favour I was owed from a friend of mine who's a pro Python coder, so they will at least work in the end.

Fair game.

Too many bursts can cause physics weirdness, I've noticed. Steel-10 is one of those rules I'm not so sure about, but I'm keeping it for now since it's part of the OW ruleset and that's what I know.

Good catch. I knew I was forgetting something.

Uh... D'oh.

I can help out with some of the AI. I'm sure others here will help you out if you ask. Also, feel free to deviate from the Orcs Wars Ruleset and just go with what you feel would create a fair environment. Besides no one is really gonna use Steel 10 anyways... I think kix was the reason for that rule as he used to put it on his extenderbots.
    Things I did & done

Offline BSRaven

• Antweight
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
    I can help out with some of the AI. I'm sure others here will help you out if you ask.

Yeah, I follow. For now though, I have a plan, and until something goes arse over teakettle, I plan on sticking to said plan. if needs be, I will start hitting folks up though.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
    • Rep: -3
    • H
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 04:21:55 PM »
    Besides no one is really gonna use Steel 10 anyways... I think kix was the reason for that rule as he used to put it on his extenderbots.
    I was the reason, but that is wrong reason

I can AI beta motors np

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
      • Badnik96GTM
    • Awards BOTM Winner
      • View Profile
      • BattleBots Wiki
      • Awards
    « Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
    someone new who's actually put some thought into his ideas. this i like. i may give it a go.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • Rep: 9
    • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
    • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
    « Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »
    I'll bung something in. Typhoons being banned is enough to interest me alone, though I suspect ripping teeth will just take their place. I do like building new bots for tournaments too, as much as I reenter Bocuma into stuff. Will try to come up with something novel.  :thumbup
    Notable Tournament Performances:
    The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
    https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
    • Heavyweight
    • Really nothing special
    • Awards BOTM Winner
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
    « Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 09:13:56 PM »
    Perfect time for me to test out Corruption
    Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
    All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
    Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • Discord: Kendor#3191
    « Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »
    No new HW for me except OverChopper Gen III. Tbh don't like typhoons being banned, but may try the tourney anyway. Will just beef a CW flipper up to HW level for this. I just hope more tourneys won't be inspired to ban typhoons tbh

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
    • Awards HOW MANY SHRIMP DO YOU HAVE TO EAT BEFORE YOUR SKIN TURNS PINK Donated money for site hosting 2021
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • Discord: GIRTHQUAKE#8520
    « Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »
    What about V2+ versions of robots, or alternate designs?

These aren't the robots I would enter, but using them as an example. The one on the right "Chicken Biscuit" I have entered in a tournament. The one on the left is designed in the spirit of Chicken Biscuit, and therefore named "Chicken Biscuit JR". It's a completely different robot, but clearly an evolution of the first one. It's never been in a tournament. Would that be an acceptable entry? 
    2bots.jpg

Offline BSRaven

• Antweight
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    « Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 05:21:50 AM »

Enough people asked me about this on Discord that I'll edit it into the first post - it might be a bit harsh for the case of Chicken Biscuit, but it's an anti-shenanigans addendum to the rule.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
      • View Profile
      • Awards
    • Discord: Kendor#3191
    « Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 05:24:58 AM »

Enough people asked me about this on Discord that I'll edit it into the first post - it might be a bit harsh for the case of Chicken Biscuit, but it's an anti-shenanigans addendum to the rule.
    So basically no upgrade bot if it was entered before, but brand new one?

Also want to state again, but just hoping this tourney won't influence other host to treat typhoons as OP and bannable. Just keep it to tourney you exclusively host as it's your interpretation of the rule and it's fine to me.