Author Topic: World Robotic League  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
World Robotic League
« on: May 31, 2019, 09:25:50 PM »
Right so i did a personal tournament and hosted a few challenges so thought id try something a bit different then a normal tournament.

General idea is a league system split into 4 with each league having a maximum of 10 entrants.
There will be 1 round per week for each league Mondays will be league 1 and 3 and Thursdays will be 2 and 4.
At the end of the League season any new challengers may enter the lowest league, however they will need to face the lowest finisher in the league.
The 8th,9th and 10th finishers in the top 3 leagues will be automatically relegated.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd finishers in the bottom 3 leagues will be automatically promoted.
The 4th place finisher will need to win a playoff with the 7th place finisher in the league directly above them to in order to be promoted.
All Playoffs are the first to win 2 matches with all active league arenas being used.

General rules will be as followed:

You may only enter 1 Bot and at the end of each season you may alter or replace it.
The arena will Rotate on each round of matches in order to try and use each bots strength and weakness.
The arenas used will be RW2016, Robogames and Ring arena.
All matches will be 3mins. Judging will be damage, control and aggression with 7 points shared between each bot for each category.
If you havoc more then 3 times you auto lose that match, if it is unclear who caused the havoc then it will be a judges decision.
As this is going to be a league system you will score 3 points for a knockout and 2 points for a judges decision.
All placements Ties will be decided by number of Knockouts followed by head to head record.
Once you submit a bot you are not allowed to change it for any reason until 5 rounds have been completed, you will then have 1 week to edit your original bot.
When editing opens chassis must stay same shape and drive must have same setup. (4wd must stay 4wd but motors can be changed)

Build Rules

DSL IRL HW (800KG) i will be strict on this.
No more then 300 Firing Power for a front hinge flipper. (bocuma style)
No more 360 Firing Power for a Rear hinge/top panel flipper. (gandora style)
No more then 2 large typhoon or 4 small typhoon for a Vert/Drum bot, 4 large 6 small for a horizontal/angled spinner. (no mixing)
Mech and Minion disks are outright banned.
No weapon spam this will be judged on a case by case basis.
No eternal flame however flame throwers are allowed.
Only cheatbot2 parts allowed are Flatmotors and overkill/razor motors.
BFE and OBJRA2 is allowed however if it crashes my laptop i will ask you to change bot the same applies to skinned components.
No clusters or configs of any sort and all jokebots or deliberately bad bots will be rejected.
No walkers of any sort and all bots must have 2 controlled wheels/tracks minimum, one one side of your drive is disabled you are KOed.
If you send AI or place smartzones those will be used even if they are bad.
If i am unable to AI your bot i will ask you do it or it will be rejected.
Custom .Py files are fine provided you can prove why you need them and they are not overpowered.
There will be a strict BFE rule in place if a component is removed then all logically attached components must be removed with it in battle. (if a bar/disk is destroyed the teeth must fall off with it)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:24:40 PM by Nightraven Shade »

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: World Robotic League
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »
I'm not a fan of this new trend of cloning OW's ruleset, since IMO it's got some brainlet-tier rules in there. I don't see the point in the burst rules, and I think it'll just push people into making more of the boring generic HS/VS that we've seen a billion of, and the typhoon ban seems pretty weak. It would be nice to see them banned outright IMO (except for single tooth spinners) to get some variation in there. The replica discs haven't been relevant in the HW class for ages, so I don't see the logic in banning those. I'm also against the eternalflame ban but I understand that I'm in the extreme minority in that opinion. I also don't see the point of splitting entrants into extenderbots and chassisbots.

On the bright side, I do like the outright multibot ban (it's just AI abuse), I like that the Ring arena is in there (although switching the RG/RW arenas for something more fresh like ELBITE or something from RWRA2 or anything really would be nice IMO), and the tournament will fill up super quickly regardless of the ruleset because it's HW IRL.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:59:33 AM by Badger »
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 09:55:39 PM »
The burst ban is simply there as should be no reason to use more then 1 large or wide Medium given the arenas that will be used. The idea being robogames is a large arena for spinners, ring will favor flippers and the RW2016 is small with a pit but has high walls so favors both types and rammers/clamps.

As for splitting bots it's currently only an idea if there isn't enough of 1 type then I'll merge both leagues.

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 10:03:22 PM »
No more then 1 wide medium/large vdma, storm front hinge or beta OR a maximum of 2 medium or smaller vdma. (no mixing and matching)
No more then 2 large typhoon or 4 small typhoon (no mixing)
idk I think just one Storm burst and the typhoon limits are too strict for my liking. 2 storms, 4 larges, and 6 smalls feel much better to me. This is coming from someone who doesn't use 4 larges or 2 storms, but the bots that use those setups are usually reasonable.
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:07:31 PM »
No more then 1 wide medium/large vdma, storm front hinge or beta OR a maximum of 2 medium or smaller vdma. (no mixing and matching)
No more then 2 large typhoon or 4 small typhoon (no mixing)
idk I think just one Storm burst and the typhoon limits are too strict for my liking. 2 storms, 4 larges, and 6 smalls feel much better to me. This is coming from someone who doesn't use 4 larges or 2 storms, but the bots that use those setups are usually reasonable.
Eh. 4 larges on an HS is perfectly reasonable, but on a vert that can gutrip it's too much IMO. I do think people should start separating out VSes and HSes when they do tooth limits since HSes are just straight up not as strong due to the fact that they can't control the opponent like Verts can, and also have to hit the front and sides of the opponent which are generally more armoured than the bottom panel.

The burst limits would be too much IF the ring arena wasn't in there, but that's pretty much a free league for flippers no matter what burst limits you put in.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »
Separating the VS and HS is an idea, and yeah burst was partly for ring arena but also so it's not just a high wall rw2016 win but I was debating on the burst limit myself. As stated above I consider ring for flippers, robogames for spinners and rw2016 pretty much anyone's.

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 11:05:38 PM »
Edited rules based on feedback so far

Anything else either arena or league system also feel free to leave feedback as no point doing something nobody wants to enter.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:53:38 AM »
You may only enter 1 league and only enter 1 bot for that league.

Chassis league is gonna be dumb
Things I did & done

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »
Tfw im gonna send mad to yeet those oofed chassis based verts

I'm not a fan of this new trend of cloning OW's ruleset, since IMO it's got some brainlet-tier rules in there. I don't see the point in the burst rules, and I think it'll just push people into making more of the boring generic HS/VS that we've seen a billion of, and the typhoon ban seems pretty weak. It would be nice to see them banned outright IMO (except for single tooth spinners) to get some variation in there. The replica discs haven't been relevant in the HW class for ages, so I don't see the logic in banning those. I'm also against the eternalflame ban but I understand that I'm in the extreme minority in that opinion. I also don't see the point of splitting entrants into extenderbots and chassisbots.

On the bright side, I do like the outright multibot ban (it's just AI abuse), I like that the Ring arena is in there (although switching the RG/RW arenas for something more fresh like ELBITE or something from RWRA2 or anything really would be nice IMO), and the tournament will fill up super quickly regardless of the ruleset because it's HW IRL.
Well, we dont want someone to enter Paladin tbh :V

Offline Nightraven Shade

• Beetleweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 09:47:19 AM »
You may only enter 1 league and only enter 1 bot for that league.

Chassis league is gonna be dumb

Yeah was thinking that i might just switch it all to 1 league but just reduce the total number of entries to 30.
other option is mix bots but keep 2 leagues and just have promotion and relegation. with those relegated from bottom league fighting for there place.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 10:22:54 AM by Nightraven Shade »

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 07:59:16 PM »
Not sure why you need limits on how competivie people can be. If you are like me and don't want to be combat effective, don't try. If you want to win, then win. Wanting every champion to look like a painting by Greco isn't going to stop the meta from devloping.