Author Topic: Deathmatch 4 - Signups Closed  (Read 6331 times)

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
Deathmatch 4 - Signups Closed
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »

I think this is the only tournament series os far that I've managed to feel confident about making a fourth tournament for.  I think that's an accomplishment.  But yeah, I'm here to make this bigger and better as usual.  Here's to hoping this is gonna be good.

GENERAL RULES:
- DSL 2.2 CW
- IRL Building Style
- 48 Entrants
- One bot per person, but if signups are in a slow enough state, I will allow secondary signups.
- I'm willing to AI if you are not able to, but don't complain what I AI'd your bot or you will disqualified automatically (It will not change once the SBV thread is up.)
- Seeded builders will be allowed to have up to more than the maximum bot(s) per person.  However, seeded bots will be automatically re-entered from Deathmatch 3.  I will ask if they would like to send an update to the current ruleset.
- Unseeded entrants will not be reserved, and I cannot allow reserving spots or placeholder bots for any reason.
- While you can re-enter an exact bot that was entered in a previous Deathmatch, I would VERY MUCH APPRECIATE as many updated/newer bots in general.
- Any attempt to exploit a loophole will be rejected immediately.
- You can send your entrant to me through a personal message through GTM or Discord (ThatRedAceGuy#3618 is my tag if you want to add me and/or just send through there)

BUILDING RULES:
- DSL 2.2 Bots Only
- Cruiserweight bots only (399.1 - 600.0 KG)
- Build and enter a design that YOU built yourself  (Yes, I had to make this a rule as I got "placeholder" bots trying to abuse the update rule.  I can understand why, but it makes the 'first come, first serve' thing very scummy)
- I can allow custom AI .py files if you need your entrant to do something specific that would otherwise not be possible with a normal .py file.  However, if it that makes your bot overpowered or is pointless and/or just stupid memes, then the entrant along with the custom AI .py is banned.
- Very Strict IRL Rules Apply.  I will stricter than I ever have been in the past, and I will reject your bot on the smallest of occasions.  I don't ask for much, but do your damndest to make the best you can ever make.  (Obvious Try-Hard bots will be rejected immediately, of course.)
- You must have a bot that must show controlled movement at all times.
- Shufflers/Walkers are banned.  Period.
- Modular bots are banned.
- Multi-bots are allowed, but the total weight limit must have have a at least a 75:25 weight difference
- Weapon spam will not be tolerated.  With that said, I won't limit the number of specific parts for an entrant.  If there is a balance between weapon and it's power, then I can allow it.  (I'll be much more strict about it this time.  Cause last time, and with DSL 2.2 currently, Typhoon Teeth, for example are rather OP, so just be warned: Don't expect to use many Typhoon teeth this time.)
- I will allow a certain amount of weapons, but if I feel a specific bot is going just a tad too far with the weapon count, I'll let you know.  (Microvore Discs, Mechavore Discs, Mini Minion Discs and Minion Discs will be allowed, but used sparingly, and considering the weapon balance rules)
- Flamethrower bots are allowed, but using that bot with EternalFlame.py or a similar AI python is NOT.
- Custom AI Pythons (.py's) are allowed, but anything that makes your bot blatantly overpowered or just a meme will be disallowed.
- You can send your own component re-skins as long as you provide the necessary files to me when you enter and the ONLY change to said component(s) is the skin.
- The only cheatbot2 Components allowed are the Flatmotor, Slow Flatmotor, and the Overkill/TTD Servo Motor.  Everything else is banned (This means the AS balance patch and any components not in vanilla RA2 are banned.  Do NOT try and dance around this rule this time.)
- No components or anything similar from DSL 2.3 Beta, or whatever is currently going on.
- BFE, AAM, OBJRA2 and Every Sergepatcher Component Freedom tool, except for the weight bonus one, will be allowed for IRL purposes
- Deliberately terrible bots or joke-bots will be rejected instantly.  Please make something with effort for this.  (Inappropriate names and skins also count)
- If your robot takes too long to load then I reserve the right to reject it (I won't be too strict about this, due to CPU's being very subjective, but if it takes excessively long, I will reject them.  I'd say like close to two minutes is a cut-off)
- If I am feeling mixed opinions towards the legality of your entrant, then I will ask about certain details to make sure.
- You can send me as many updates as you need to.  However, If an updated bot is illegal, then I will use the previous version you sent me.

Custom Components/Patches:

This is a special sub-category to list what components are allowed with download links provided once everything is all set.  (This will be updated as I go along):

BATTLE RULES:
- 3 minute length matches
- The Robot Wars 2016 Arena (Re-skinned) will be used for this tournament
- For people who have entered more than one bot, I will make sure both of your bots do NOT compete in the same heat.
- If a Multibot has 75% of the total bot eliminated, then the whole entrant is considered eliminated, and the heaviest portion of said Multibot will compete in Melees
- Only minor havoks will be shown in a main heat video (or ones that don't really affect any major outcomes), and bots will not be penalized for havoks.  However if a robot havoks more than enough times as if it's deliberately made to be a havok bomb, then the robot will be eliminated and will be referenced to "technical issues"  (If the builder would like to see a video of the havoks for proof, then I will upload said video, and for the record, I'd say 20 havoks would be a tipping point for me to just forfeit it and move on).
- If my game crashes for a specific match, then I will take the most salvageable take with the least amount of crashes and do a judge's decisions from the match before the crash.
- If a bot shows no controlled movement at all for about 20 seconds, then I will consider it immobile.  There will be a visible timer for when it becomes noticeable and mostly shows zero sign of doing anything.  It will be displayed as a 10-Second warning timer.
- There will be six heats released on a weekly format, with randomized draws for heats and battles.
- For the Pit Hazard, things will work a little bit differently.  If multiple bots enter the pit at once, then the last one to enter the pit will be declared the winner.  If one bot enters the pit, miraculously escapes, and another bot follows in the pit and stays, then the one who entered the pit zone first will be declared eliminated.
- Seeded bots will have a dedicated heat draw for them.  So Heat A will have Seed #1, Heat B will have Seed #3, Heat C will have Seed #5, etc.
- In the eight heats, there will be two three way Melees, the losers will go to a 1-on-1 redemption battle.  Winners will advance to the heat semi finals, and winners advance to the heat final, and the Heat winner will advance to the Grand Final.
- The Grand Final will work slightly differently.  There will be all 1-on-1 battles for the rest of the tournament, but there will be also be a rumble, a playoff to determine seeds for the next series.
- If there is no clear winner at the end, then I will be judging every bot fairly on based on Aggression, Style, and Control.  I will show a replay of the action (if any), and show the winner.  Once a heat is posted, I will post my notes and details on why I made said decision inside a spoiler tag.

Seeded Bots:

Side Events:

These will be one-off episodes and tournaments that will take place after the main tournament is over.  You are allowed to enter these, but it is not mandatory.  You are not allowed to enter the same bot into the same side tournament.  The rules will be the exact same as the main tournament, but the format of each side event will be different:

Annihilator: Eight robots compete overall, but four will fight at a time, and once one robot is immobile or the weakest for the judges decisions will be eliminated, and the next bot will rotate in.  The bots will compete in the order they signed up in.  So the first bots will be the bots who sign up last, so entering early is encouraged.
Juggernaut: Six robots will compete in the main tournament format, and the final two will be on a team fighting against a 2500 kg House Robot appropriately known as "Juggernaut"  Kinda like the House Robot Rebellion.  Only... not.

My Entrants:

SIGNUPS:

1. Sagaris - Vespin MkII (1)
2. Hoppin - Pulse 3 (2)
3. Kix - Craplectric 2 (3)
4. Doot - Catalyst (4)
5. Sickle Robotics - DJ X: Vengeance Remix (5)
6. NeonCalypso - Binary Star Systems (6)
7. Pokebro - Legacy (7)
8. Primeval - Duality (8)
9. RedAce - Kopter
10. Olister - SDB
11. Hoppin - Veorra
12. Doot - Archon
13. Guldenflame - Pike
14. Billy - V2
15. Wambo - Supersonic
16. TheRoboteer - Critical Mach III
17. MrBK - Proximus
18. Sickle Robotics - Cruor
19. [cringey name goes here] - Cujo 2: Maneater
20. NickDustyOwl - Bored Again T_T
21. Superbomb - Sarin
22. Merrick - Gecko
23. Plerco - Solar Storm 4
24. GIRTHQUAKE - Sad Slapper
25. F1Krazy - Tearaway
26. Code Red - The Machine
27. Double00rhys2 - Murderus Beetrute
28. NeonCalypso - Tree Hugger
29. Pokebro - Earth, Wind & Fire
30. TheOrcCorp - Orcatraz Evo
31. Insert Name Here - Break You Down
32. BSRaven - Tsuihou
33. AndyEyeCandy - Franken
34. KILLER - Distributor
35. Kix - Slightly M.A.D
36. Bildschirm - Puxxgear
37. Geese - Neon Light
38. Primeval - Jaguar
39. Badger - Pure Abuse
40. Smallsmallrose - Top Hat
41. Sevalent - Koto
42. Badnik - panDRUMonium
43. Chris/090901 - Coal Miner (but metal af)
44. Nabijecka - Kirin3
45. NightRaven Shade - ArticStorm Mini
46. 8Bean - Queen Bee II
47. Mystic - Gatecrash
48. Kelimpel - Not Copyright

Side Events:

Annihilator:

SIGNUPS:
1. Pulse 2 - Hoppin
2. Cruor - Sickle Robotics
3. Orcatraz Extreme - TheOrcCorp
4. Tree Hugger - NeonCalypso
5. The Machine - Code Red
6. Primeval - Jaguar
7. AndyEyesCandy - Franken
8. [insert cringey name here] - Cujo 2: Maneater

Juggernaut:

SIGNUPS:
1. Veorra - Hoppin
2. Solar Storm 4 - Plerco
3. Binary Star Systems - NeonCalpyso
4. Sarin - Superbomb
5. Kix - Slight M.A.D
6. Puxxgear - Bilschrim

Received
Accepted
Denied/Experiencing Issues (You will be notified)
Seeded (Automatically Entered, Can be updated if they wish)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:31:30 AM by RedAce »

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Deathmatch 4 - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
CW WHYY??
Nah son this tournament is the only one where cw is great, will have to make Craplectric 2

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
I'm down as usual of course. Gonna keep up my record of building a new bot for each series too methinks.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
Please don't use the crash patch, it ruins the physics of the game. Otherwise, I'm hyped!
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Team Code Red Robotics

• Based
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Based
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Code#4035
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm hyped for this, I'll probably enter something into this for sure, it may be something new, it may bee something old ;)
Based

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »
Please don't use the crash patch, it ruins the physics of the game. Otherwise, I'm hyped!
i mean, did it have any drastic difference?

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 02:11:15 PM »
Yes, definitely going to have to remake Orcatraz or Gwip for this! :mrgreen:
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »
If I find time, I'll see if I can put in a new bot for this.
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »
I've got Pulse 3. Then I've got other options as my +1. Looking forward to it
Things I did & done

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
After reading over the rules in more detail, I'm gonna second Badger on not using the crash patch. I know having it makes your recording a lot less painful, but it also makes what's already probably the strongest class, especially in this arena (verts) even more powerful, and nerfs flippers extremely hard. I'd suggest instead that you maybe just limit the max number of attempts at recording a fight to 5 or something like that, and then just do a JD based on those 5 attempts for fights you can't get a good recording of.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 03:59:12 PM »
Currently have V2 for it. Could either reenter DP Gen II, upgrade it, or just enter Nature Defender's in case of secondary entry being opened

Offline Bildschirm

• Makes RA2 Arenas from scratch and some Tournaments.
  • Rep: 6
  • Has a Fetish for Vertical Spinners
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 04:42:54 PM »
Happy that this is a thing now!

Of course this question but are custom components allowed where ONLY* the 3D mesh is edited so the item looks different but cant give me an advantage of any kind?
I hope its ok :o

*(Only 3D Mesh means that i wont touch the collision box)
I have a showcase! :3
Also some moments... xD

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
Glad to hear that I got a lot of people hyped up for this thing.  :D

For now, I'm gonna be removing the crash patch overall, and patching up other rules that look strange.   Also...

Of course this question but are custom components allowed where ONLY* the 3D mesh is edited so the item looks different but cant give me an advantage of any kind?

I mean, if you can provide a detailed example and reasoning, sure.  I only stated the custom components and reskin things for cosmetic purposes.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »
Glad to hear that I got a lot of people hyped up for this thing.  :D

For now, I'm gonna be removing the crash patch overall, and patching up other rules that look strange.   Also...

I mean, if you can provide a detailed example and reasoning, sure.  I only stated the custom components and reskin things for cosmetic purposes.
To support what Bild said, I think he means like the gears on his CW shell spinner

Offline Merrick

• Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
I may try and whip up something actually competitive this time....

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »
Odd update I suppose, but I feel I should post this anyway.

A special episode of Deathmatch 3 is up!

This is to determine which of the heat finalists will be the most deserving of the seeded spots for this tournament.

Lastly, along with the main tournament, I'm considering maybe adding two or three little side events for fun for the entrants once the main tournament is concluded.  If anyone is interested in them, then let me know then.  I got a few ideas on what I would like to do with them.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »
Odd update I suppose, but I feel I should post this anyway.

A special episode of Deathmatch 3 is up!

This is to determine which of the heat finalists will be the most deserving of the seeded spots for this tournament.

Lastly, along with the main tournament, I'm considering maybe adding two or three little side events for fun for the entrants once the main tournament is concluded.  If anyone is interested in them, then let me know then.  I got a few ideas on what I would like to do with them.
I'm interested with the side event idea. What are your ideas for it first?

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 09:16:05 PM »
I had a few ideas pondered that would just be some sort of one off episodes.  (Also thing to note, the bots would already be competing in Deathmatch 4, and the same bot cannot enter multiple events):

Annihilator: Eight robots compete overall, but four will fight at a time, and once one robot is immobile or the weakest for the judges decisions will be eliminated, and the next bot will rotate in.  The bots competing may either be based on who performed well enough in Deathmatch 4 or those that sign up for the event first.
Juggernaut: Eight robots will compete in a 1-on-1 style tournament and the final two will be on a team fighting against a 2500 kg House Robot appropriately known as "Juggernaut"  Kinda like the House Robot Rebellion.  Only... not.
Tag-Team Terror: While "Tag" is in massive air quotes, the teams will probably be teams of two fighting it out in a classic 2-on-2 style tournament.  Not sure how many entrants I should have, as I feel eight teams would probably be slightly too much for one side event.  Teams may either be randomized or agreed depending on who wants to be partners.

Again, most of these are pitches, but if you do have suggestions, that would be cool to hear ideas that would be cool for the tournament.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 06:56:21 AM »
I had a few ideas pondered that would just be some sort of one off episodes.  (Also thing to note, the bots would already be competing in Deathmatch 4, and the same bot cannot enter multiple events):

Annihilator: Eight robots compete overall, but four will fight at a time, and once one robot is immobile or the weakest for the judges decisions will be eliminated, and the next bot will rotate in.  The bots competing may either be based on who performed well enough in Deathmatch 4 or those that sign up for the event first.
Juggernaut: Eight robots will compete in a 1-on-1 style tournament and the final two will be on a team fighting against a 2500 kg House Robot appropriately known as "Juggernaut"  Kinda like the House Robot Rebellion.  Only... not.
Tag-Team Terror: While "Tag" is in massive air quotes, the teams will probably be teams of two fighting it out in a classic 2-on-2 style tournament.  Not sure how many entrants I should have, as I feel eight teams would probably be slightly too much for one side event.  Teams may either be randomized or agreed depending on who wants to be partners.

Again, most of these are pitches, but if you do have suggestions, that would be cool to hear ideas that would be cool for the tournament.
Good ideas. Can't find other suggestions tbh. Maybe take inspiration from OW side events

Also since you said in Discord that a player can get two entries from start, imo, I prefer if it's like before, being one per person, seed is excepted from the limit, and secondary entry in case signup dried up. I think this will give more chance for more people to enter rather than being locked out of it because some people are able to send two entries earlier and thus claiming spots quickly

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »
Also since you said in Discord that a player can get two entries from start, imo, I prefer if it's like before, being one per person, seed is excepted from the limit, and secondary entry in case signup dried up. I think this will give more chance for more people to enter rather than being locked out of it because some people are able to send two entries earlier and thus claiming spots quickly
Good point.  Also strange how I had the former idea listed in signups and yet the latter is what I insisted on using.  Oops.  Decided to simply use the former for the rules, and listed the side events on the main page.  Although I am still trying to figure out a better idea for a team battle, or at least, a different style.  Kinda on the fence to be honest.