Author Topic: Retro Arena - Extreme  (Read 1042 times)

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 4
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Retro Arena - Extreme
« on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:37 PM »

Following the announcement of the 2020 official tournament ruleset, I'm going to work on something I've been wanting to do for a while, a classic Robot Wars themed tournament.

The first thing I will do is create a 'Robot Wars Extreme' style series, having a variety of events within a single episode, from qualifier events such as World Championship qualifiers and Mayhems for the Annihilator, to side events such as grudge matches.

The build rules will follow the official rules as stated previously, (shown below). You are allowed one robot per event. All robots have to be heavyweights (between 600kg and 800kg) although if you want to enter Cruiserweights that will also be accepted but not advised as it will make you have a weight disadvantage.

Building rules:

The arena will be a version of the original Robot Wars arena (I believe created by Wham) which is basically a cross between the DSL RW Arena and the RWRA2 mod arena. The walls are in between the height of the two so they aren't really high but not really low and the texturing is a lot better, so this arena seems best fit.

If an event exceeds the number of entries, unedited qualifier matches will be upload to see who qualifies for the event.
The events are as followed and the rules will be explained for each:

Mayhem/Annihilator - The mayhem format will be the same as Robot Wars Extreme. Six three-way melees will take place and one robot will qualify from each. However, as RA2 limits 4 robots per rumble, the six robots that won their respective mayhems will be split into two three-way melees. This time only one robot will be eliminated, leaving two robots from each fight, giving us four remaining robots. From their, the four robots will be wittled down to three, to two and then leave us our Annihilator champion. The annihilator will be a stand alone episode whilst the mayhems will play throughout the series.

Entries:

Tag Team - An classic series event that ran for many years, the Tag Team allows you to have a robot by your side in a frantic 2v2. Eight teams are formed to create spaces for 16 robots, creating a knock-out stage style tournament.

Entries:

Flipper Frenzy - One of my personal favourite events from Extreme was the Flipper Frenzy. Having four of the most powerful flippers against each other will create some high flying action. This event consists of a four way melee leaving just one winner.

Entries:

Spinner Showdown - Not only is high flying action appreciated, but robots getting shredded provides just as much entertainment (permitting the game doesn't crash a dozen times in the process). Any spinner is welcome, whether it be a horizontal, vertical, drum, full body spinner or saw.

Entries:

Axe Attack - Hammers and axes don't normally get much luck in the tournaments due to them being outside the meta, but in this melee an axe or hammer is guaranteed a victory.

Entries:

World Championship - This will be one of the longest running events. For this we will follow the Extreme 1 World Championship format, where four battles featuring 4 robots in each fight it out to leave a single winner, progressing to a semi final and then final. Each heat will have one American and one British competitor as that is what was featured in the show and these are the two primary countries GTM uses are located in. For the countries that have a lot of competitors, qualifiers will be held as side events to determine what bots get to represent their country.

Entries:

Grudge Matches - There have been a lot of rivalries within RA2 over the years, whether it's between the robots or the builders. Use this opportunity to challenge your rival to settle an old score in the only way possible, in the arena.

Entries:

Challenge Belt - The Challenge Belt is where a robot is selected as a challenge belt holder. Robots then get to challenge the holder to a battle. If the holder wins, they keep the belt. If they get three consecutive victories they become the Challenge Belt champion. However, if the holder loses the battle then they give up the belt and the challenger becomes the holder, simple.

Entries

All Stars - There are many infamous robots within the community, with most users having at least one signature bot, but who is the best of the best? Use this opportunity to enter what you consider your most well-known competitor into a knockout tournament and determine yourself as the ultimate all star.

Entries:

Wild Card Warriors - There are a lot of people joining the community even to this day, so this event allows the newbies an opportunity to try out one of their builds against the veterans.

Entries:

Entries are open as of today, send in your bots and if you are competing in the World Championship let me know which nationality you are so the country you represent is the country you actually originate from.

**The fixtures aren't final and will be randomised once entries are full**
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:29:09 PM by SagarisRA2 »

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Retro Arena - Extreme
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 05:22:03 AM »
Good to see a new tournament already! This sounds fun but my only question is how would you get one winner (for the End of Year tournament) from all of these events?

You COULD do an 8 bot tournament with all these event winners:
Annihilator
Tag Team (both winners go through)
Flipper Frenzy
Axe Attack
Spinner Showdown
World Championship
Challenge Belt
All-Stars

Just food for thought, looking forward to seeing how this goes!
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline SagarisRA2

• Orc's Favourite Son
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
Good to see a new tournament already! This sounds fun but my only question is how would you get one winner (for the End of Year tournament) from all of these events?

You COULD do an 8 bot tournament with all these event winners:
Annihilator
Tag Team (both winners go through)
Flipper Frenzy
Axe Attack
Spinner Showdown
World Championship
Challenge Belt
All-Stars

Just food for thought, looking forward to seeing how this goes!

This is a good idea. I might do an 8 robot tournament for all of these winners then and have the winner for the End of Year Tournament and have these Top 8 as seeded robots for when the main series comes around.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 08:39:49 AM »
Yea, I'll enter
Things I did & done

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 04:21:54 AM »
could build something for this

also, if you still need event ideas, you could shamelessly steal borrow OW's Royal Rumble concept
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline CodeSilver23

• RR2 Enthusiast and Design Innovator
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • Stars v Legends founder, Inventor of the Wheel-fix
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: CodeSilverGaming
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:07:38 AM »
Me seeing the Wild Card Warriors event: My time has come
Accomplishments:

Offline Lilleh__

• Overly ambitious tournament host
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Sakura Sunrise is here
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Lilleh__#0625
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
Are there still spaces open for axe attack and world championship?  I'm from UK.
If the answer's yes, I have a bot for each of those two.