Author Topic: TL:DR Ra2 is sucky  (Read 7263 times)

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: TL:DR Ra2 is sucky
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
as a """boomer"""" I hate the fact I have to join a new discord server for like every god damn tournament to know whats even going on but that's just me
****ing this

I wouldn't mind if GTM weren't the only place to go for RA2 if I didn't have to go on a scavenger hunt to find the other ones. I swear the OW and PWS servers aren't public and they're apparently the most thriving places for RA2. I could be wrong by now (since I last checked) but I just can't be arsed to check and go on said scavenger hunt. I don't know how the current community puts up with it.
pretty much anyone who is remotely active and not a complete idiot/reject/boomer is on those servers (which tbh theres only like 2 or 3 major ones)
Doesn't make it much better. It's also not great for newbs that stumble upon GTM, only to find a super quiet forum and maybe a dead discord server link.
what he said

When you say remotely active, all you mean is active as these communities started popping up. Imagine if I or any other older member wanted to genuinely come back in this environment. They wouldn't know where to begin. Honestly, whenever the myriad of RA2 groups and their abbreviations are mentioned, I really cringe.

i think there's an argument that invite only policies hurt the community in the long run, but i don't see this changing anytime soon as most people support them as a necessary evil to keep the community somewhat sane (which i tend to agree with to an extent)
What do you mean? All people have to do is ban minges if they join a public discord and start causing a fuss. It's like these little splinter groups have broken off from GTM because they think it's an elitist/sh**posting clique just to make their own. In fact, I'd say that this new 'culture' of loads of fringe, invite-only RA2 communities on Discord has made RA2 way more unapproachable than GTM's reputation ever did

I don't think this actually has anything to do with the fact that GTM has bad rep or it's a forum. When I joined in 2014, GTM had gone through a **** ton of drama and forums weren't exactly hip and happening, yet I'd say there was a lot of activity. Obviously not compared to the older days I weren't around for but, nevertheless, it was way more active than it is now and I felt it was in a good place. I just think Discord has allowed people to incredibly easily make their own private forums and it's escalated to this.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
as a """boomer"""" I hate the fact I have to join a new discord server for like every god damn tournament to know whats even going on but that's just me
****ing this

I wouldn't mind if GTM weren't the only place to go for RA2 if I didn't have to go on a scavenger hunt to find the other ones. I swear the OW and PWS servers aren't public and they're apparently the most thriving places for RA2. I could be wrong by now (since I last checked) but I just can't be arsed to check and go on said scavenger hunt. I don't know how the current community puts up with it.
As geice said, pretty much everyone actively playing the game who isn't a raging arsehole gets invited to these servers. You don't play the game, or at least haven't shown any evidence of it, so you aren't in them. Newbies who show up do play the game, and most of them are in these discords as a result. If you really want to get in, legit all you have to do is play the game, and if you aren't interested in doing that then there's probably very little in the discords for you anyway.

I think it's pretty funny how people who have shown 0 interest in doing any of the things that ACTUALLY keep this community alive (posting in showcases, giving feedback, entering BOTM et cetera) are suddenly so concerned about GTM dying. If you're really that concerned, start showing more activity than simply coming out of the woodwork to complain that the forum isn't the same as it was back in 2011/12/whatever year
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:27:41 PM by TheRoboteer »
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
****ing this

As geice said, pretty much everyone actively playing the game who isn't a raging arsehole gets invited to these servers. You don't play the game, or at least haven't shown any evidence of it, so you aren't in them. Newbies who show up do play the game, and most of them are in these discords as a result. If you really want to get in, legit all you have to do is play the game, and if you aren't interested in doing that then there's probably very little in the discords for you anyway.
but how will new guys know to start being active on GTM in order to get invited to these more active splinter groups? As Badger said, all they see, on the surface, is a relatively dead forum. What kind of incentive is that? You say all one has to do is play RA2 but it really isn't that simple. And what's meant to happen, literally every new person gets PM'd 3 discord links when they post a showcase? Sounds pretty pointless to me.

I think it's pretty funny how people who have shown 0 interest in doing any of the things that ACTUALLY keep this community alive (posting in showcases, giving feedback, entering BOTM et cetera) are suddenly so concerned about GTM dying. If you're really that concerned, start showing more activity than simply coming out of the woodwork to complain that the forum isn't the same as it was back in 2011/12/whatever year
No-one is obligated to play RA2 in order to give their 2 cents. People can still care about how a community conducts themselves even if they're no longer active in it. I mean, I had to check GTM to get here. Doesn't mean I (or any other oldie in the woodwork) have to still actively participate in it

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2019, 10:44:40 PM »
****ing this

but how will new guys know to start being active on GTM in order to get invited to these more active splinter groups? As Badger said, all they see, on the surface, is a relatively dead forum. What kind of incentive is that? You say all one has to do is play RA2 but it really isn't that simple. And what's meant to happen, literally every new person gets PM'd 3 discord links when they post a showcase? Sounds pretty pointless to me.
Notice this new KupaTec guy? He's been here only for a week or two, but he shows that he cares about the game, and genuinely wants to play it. Thus, he was invited to the Orc's Wars server.
It's all really basic. This is where you get started with your building, and the discords are when you want to get involved.
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
****ing this

Literally any activity, anywhere suffices. Shocking as it maybe, GTM isn't the centre of the RA2 universe anymore, in fact I'd say the vast majority of newbies into the discords never even visit GTM other than to download the game. RA2 is alive and well outside of GTM and most people in the discords come from discovering the tournaments that are being created by these discords, not from GTM. In fact, most newbies who DO turn up on GTM have been directed there by people in the discords, who, believe it or not, also don't want to see GTM die.

No-one is obligated to play RA2 in order to give their 2 cents. People can still care about how a community conducts themselves even if they're no longer active in it. I mean, I had to check GTM to get here. Doesn't mean I (or any other oldie in the woodwork) have to still actively participate in it
I think complaining about the demise of a forum while simultaneously contributing to that demise through inaction is pretty rich personally. No sh** the forum is dying when such a large contingent of its users literally only shows up to oppose any attempt to make changes that might encourage people to use it, before disappearing back into inactivity as soon as the prospect of actually using the forum for its intended purpose comes up

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:02 PM »
I think complaining about the demise of a forum while simultaneously contributing to that demise through inaction is pretty rich personally. No sh** the forum is dying when such a large contingent of its users literally only shows up to oppose any attempt to make changes that might encourage people to use it, before disappearing back into inactivity as soon as the prospect of actually using the forum for its intended purpose comes up
No-one can be forced to play a game they have no desire to play. It doesn't stop people from wanting to still have input in the community, tho. I think it's a bit grandiose to say that inaction, in this case, is equivalent to harmful action. You literally can't force someone to play a game and people like me that aren't playing the game atm have nothing to do with the state that it's in now. If all the RA2 activity taking place in all these discords were instead taking place on the forum, it would still be as active as 2014.

Literally any activity, anywhere suffices. Shocking as it maybe, GTM isn't the centre of the RA2 universe anymore, in fact I'd say the vast majority of newbies into the discords never even visit GTM other than to download the game. RA2 is alive and well outside of GTM and most people in the discords come from discovering the tournaments that are being created by these discords, not from GTM. In fact, most newbies who DO turn up on GTM have been directed there by people in the discords, who, believe it or not, also don't want to see GTM die.
Of course I realise GTM isn't the centre of the RA2 universe... it's the basis of the discussion we're having now. But why is it not? Everything currently being done in a wide variety of discords could be done on GTM and it would bring everyone playing RA2 together under 1 umbrella and create a larger community. To me, it just seems like all these groups have their own discord just because they can. I wanna come back and start hosting some tournaments again just so I can make a new discord for each one.

Surely you must see how such a fragmented community for such a small playerbase is stupid, right? It's needlessly complex. Even if one got invited to all the groups and had every avenue open to them, where do they post their bots? Who gives them advice? Is it everywhere or just one place? If it's the former, that's a lot of hassle, posting the same thing to 5 different discords. If it's the latter, how do they know they're getting the best advice and feedback on their robot? And not everyone interested in RA2 would see they bot if they're not in all the discords.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2019, 11:25:19 PM »
I legitimately do not see how you can possibly think it is reasonable that GTM should beholden to a group of people who don't even use it. If you care about GTM, good for you, but the people who actually use the forums are the ones whose concerns should be listened to. Either that or we should be tailoring the forum towards those newbies who are on the discords but currently avoid GTM. Just so happens that what the boomers want is pretty much exactly opposite to what most newbies want. That is why the boomers who show up in threads like these to bitch and moan are harmful to GTM.

Of course I realise GTM isn't the centre of the RA2 universe... it's the basis of the discussion we're having now. But why is it not? Everything currently being done in a wide variety of discords could be done on GTM and it would bring everyone playing RA2 together under 1 umbrella and create a larger community. To me, it just seems like all these groups have their own discord just because they can. I wanna come back and start hosting some tournaments again just so I can make a new discord for each one.
GTM isn't the centre of the RA2 universe for a variety of reasons. Forums in general are a dying breed to begin with, but outside of that there's the fact that in a discord you can get immediate feedback, and feedback during the building of a bot. There's also GTM's niche humour to address. I don't have any problem with it, in fact I oftentimes find it pretty funny, but a lot of newbies, especially younger kids, do, and obviously every time someone tries to do something about it the boomers all emerge to reminisce about the 'good old days' when you could flame some newbie and call them a retard because they didn't use the right drive motors.

Surely you must see how such a fragmented community for such a small playerbase is stupid, right? It's needlessly complex. Even if one got invited to all the groups and had every avenue open to them, where do they post their bots? Who gives them advice? Is it everywhere or just one place? If it's the former, that's a lot of hassle, posting the same thing to 5 different discords. If it's the latter, how do they know they're getting the best advice and feedback on their robot? And not everyone interested in RA2 would see they bot if they're not in all the discords.
Maybe you'd have a point here if the feedback and advice on GTM wasn't total dogsh**. It has been for years now. The like system killed any last remnants of decent advice on the forums. Go and look through the showcase section and you'll see what I mean. On a discord you can get pretty much immediate feedback, in fact many people post bots that they're midway through building in order to get advice on what to do next. The great thing too is that on a discord you're pretty much guaranteed that someone will see your bot and give some feedback to it, where on GTM it'll often get buried by some boomers arguing about how their opinions on a forum they don't use need to be respected  heck

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2019, 12:03:10 AM »
I legitimately do not see how you can possibly think it is reasonable that GTM should beholden to a group of people who don't even use it. If you care about GTM, good for you, but the people who actually use the forums are the ones whose concerns should be listened to. Either that or we should be tailoring the forum towards those newbies who are on the discords but currently avoid GTM. Just so happens that what the boomers want is pretty much exactly opposite to what most newbies want. That is why the boomers who show up in threads like these to bitch and moan are harmful to GTM.
I'm not saying you should bend to our every whim and demand or anything like that. But just because we don't actively participate doesn't mean we shouldn't be heard or we don't have valid complaints/arguments.

Either way, I've lost track of the bigger picture. I just think the bottom line is that the RA2 community as a whole is really gonna suffer due to how it's currently organised and I'm giving my outsider perspective on the situation. 2014 me was new to GTM and RA2 but was excited to start hosting some tournaments and interact with the community. 2019 me, even after all this discussion, wouldn't know where to begin

Edit:
If you really want to get in, legit all you have to do is play the game, and if you aren't interested in doing that then there's probably very little in the discords for you anyway.
Another thing on this point; I think there's an overemphasis on actively playing the game in order to simply observe the community. Literally all I ever did when I was active was host tournaments and lurk the rest of the time. And I got AU. Now I have to play the game to even see what other people are doing and start lurking again? No thanks. That's why a lot of veterans usually come out of the woodwork for this stuff, because they become lurkers and still actually like watching the community do their thing, in the background. It's forcing people to dance to your tune and creates the clique that branched off from the clique that I was talking about. Like I said, I wouldn't even mind if GTM weren't the sole hub for RA2 stuff if I could simply access the rest

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2019, 12:13:24 AM »
2019 me, even after all this discussion, wouldn't know where to begin
Build and post an RA2 bot pretty much anywhere, leave a comment on one of the many tournament videos on Youtube, post on reddit or any other community asking about a robot combat game. Basically show pretty much any interest in RA2. Shockingly if you aren't interested in the game, you probably won't get invited to communities that revolve around that game. If that's somehow unreasonable to you then I don't know what to say

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2019, 12:21:15 AM »
Build and post an RA2 bot pretty much anywhere, leave a comment on one of the many tournament videos on Youtube, post on reddit or any other community asking about a robot combat game. Basically show pretty much any interest in RA2. Shockingly if you aren't interested in the game, you probably won't get invited to communities that revolve around that game. If that's somehow unreasonable to you then I don't know what to say
I'm saying it's unreasonable for the community to not be completely public when it has been for so long up until now. There really is no good reason for it

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2019, 12:41:39 AM »
I'm saying it's unreasonable for the community to not be completely public when it has been for so long up until now. There really is no good reason for it
When you curate your community so that only people who are actually interested in the game are included it makes for a much better atmosphere. I'm sure as an outsider looking in it's probably a bit alienating but GTM is public, and exists, and you didn't feel the need to post on here so I doubt it's that concerning to you. I think it's quite telling that the people who actually play the game and keep up to date with the community are mostly fine with the situation, though most don't want to see GTM die. If you haven't been active since 2016, drop in and see how much things have changed, you're naturally gonna be opposed to it, but that doesn't automatically mean that the changes are for the worse.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2019, 03:08:39 AM »
i wanna drop into the invite only thing. If the servers werent private, we would get a bunch of people like kermitnicky or plutonium, which we dont want, nobody does

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2019, 03:29:14 AM »
just wanna say, you guys should consider yourselves blessed that you haven't met mr plutonium, sephy, or vox
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2019, 03:33:54 AM »
just wanna say, you guys should consider yourselves blessed that you haven't met mr plutonium, sephy, or vox
Ive beaten vox so idm
And posted a video where i raped plutonium's bots

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2019, 04:16:55 AM »
I'm actually glad I don't come here that often anymore. Or that I'm not on the GTM or any of the other discord servers. There is and was so much toxic behaviour that turned me off and at this point I don't feel too connected to anything ra2 related anymore.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »
pretty much everything yugi said was dead on and pretty much everything roboteer said was super condescending and dumb made me want to give him the biggest wedgie of his life.

first of all, yea, having this fractured community is a real pain in the neck and is the main reason it's dying. second, i guarantee you that showcases are dying on all these other discords. don't get me wrong they may be super active, but they are dying because it's non-sustainable in the long term. forums are just so far out of the league of discord/reddit/twitter because they archive information and don't bury it. losing all that info is like burning books man i'm serious. how on earth are newbies supposed to learn if they can't lurk because they 1) can't find the dang channel and 2) can't view bots that other people built for longer than 5 min. it's just so bad. not that I think forums are the king of the hill by any means, but discord doesn't even do this better. immediate feedback? sure. a record of all post? abysmal. but that's the point of a community. saying forums are obsolete because of discord is like saying books are obsolete because texting was invented. that doesn't even make sense.

for GTM i feel like our discord should be deleted. it's such a cesspool and only serves to further divide the community for no reason. obviously stuff like OW and PWS can't be given that same treatment nor should they, but they are still a major cause of the community fracturing. i was never invited to a lot of these communities because i don't know the secret handshake and i'm not sure I would want to if I did because i like to showcase bots? i'm not sure if there is a solution to this mess as a whole. i do think having leadership you can look up to would go a long ways to making this a better environment but i'm not sure who that would be either. I still doubt I would want to do it.
'cultural/technological progression' is only a small part of this despite people seeming to think it's most of the problem. a huge reason why gtm is dying is that no one showcases anymore because people are too busy throwing their bots in the trash to immediately get buried on other fractured platforms instead. it's really depressing knowing that none of those bots will be remembered in 10 years. do you think anyone would remember this in ten years on discord? yeah right. but there is a guest reading it here right now.

I don't think this actually has anything to do with the fact that GTM has bad rep or it's a forum. When I joined in 2014, GTM had gone through a **** ton of drama and forums weren't exactly hip and happening, yet I'd say there was a lot of activity. Obviously not compared to the older days I weren't around for but, nevertheless, it was way more active than it is now and I felt it was in a good place. I just think Discord has allowed people to incredibly easily make their own private forums and it's escalated to this.

this is exactly it. it also blows my mind that pretty much all of the people posting on this topic about why GTM is awful and should fail are pretty much the exact members causing it in the first place.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline 8bean

• Professional Tourney Rigger
  • Rep: 10
  • I'm on discord probably
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: 8bean#4514
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
for GTM i feel like our discord should be deleted.

if only this happened
Stuff I didn't suck at (from oldest to newest)

Offline [cringey name goes here]

• Supah Kickah
  • Rep: -4
  • coolest monkey in the jungle 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2019, 02:29:31 PM »
pretty much everything yugi said was dead on and pretty much everything roboteer said was super condescending and dumb made me want to give him the biggest wedgie of his life.

first of all, yea, having this fractured community is a real pain in the neck and is the main reason it's dying. second, i guarantee you that showcases are dying on all these other discords. don't get me wrong they may be super active, but they are dying because it's non-sustainable in the long term. forums are just so far out of the league of discord/reddit/twitter because they archive information and don't bury it. losing all that info is like burning books man i'm serious. how on earth are newbies supposed to learn if they can't lurk because they 1) can't find the dang channel and 2) can't view bots that other people built for longer than 5 min. it's just so bad. not that I think forums are the king of the hill by any means, but discord doesn't even do this better. immediate feedback? sure. a record of all post? abysmal. but that's the point of a community. saying forums are obsolete because of discord is like saying books are obsolete because texting was invented. that doesn't even make sense.

for GTM i feel like our discord should be deleted. it's such a cesspool and only serves to further divide the community for no reason. obviously stuff like OW and PWS can't be given that same treatment nor should they, but they are still a major cause of the community fracturing. i was never invited to a lot of these communities because i don't know the secret handshake and i'm not sure I would want to if I did because i like to showcase bots? i'm not sure if there is a solution to this mess as a whole. i do think having leadership you can look up to would go a long ways to making this a better environment but i'm not sure who that would be either. I still doubt I would want to do it.
'cultural/technological progression' is only a small part of this despite people seeming to think it's most of the problem. a huge reason why gtm is dying is that no one showcases anymore because people are too busy throwing their bots in the trash to immediately get buried on other fractured platforms instead. it's really depressing knowing that none of those bots will be remembered in 10 years. do you think anyone would remember this in ten years on discord? yeah right. but there is a guest reading it here right now.

this is exactly it. it also blows my mind that pretty much all of the people posting on this topic about why GTM is awful and should fail are pretty much the exact members causing it in the first place.
centauri has a discord, no?
please eat something that you're allergic to, in excessive ammounts
:sweat-smile: sadness anxiety insanity and chaos some people choose 1 or 2 me i choose all 4 :sweat-smile:
funniest user 2020

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »
centauri has a discord, no?
yes. and it is not a replacement for a forum and is only used to coordinate people during the tournament so it doesn't overlap
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »
obviously stuff like OW and PWS can't be given that same treatment nor should they
dunno bout that one chief, they should've been the first ones to go screw the discord zoomers
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots