Author Topic: Skull Kid's Robot Wars  (Read 1755 times)

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Master of the House Robots
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Skull Kid's Robot Wars
« on: September 26, 2014, 10:31:40 AM »
Just wanted to tell, you can check out my YouTube channel. I have started my own series, Skull Kid's Robot Wars :smile:
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Skull Kid's Robot Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:39:18 AM »
And so... my fourth Vengeance Battle has been filmed... tell me what you people think :smile: (the first to third Vengeance Battles was filmed in my old arena... this fourth one, filmed in my new, enlarged arena, is filmed with my HTC Windows Phone X8 in 1080p :cool:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:32:44 AM by SkullKid »
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:16:58 AM »
It's been a while but anyhow, now it's back! Skull Kid's Robot Wars. :) available at my YouTube channel
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:41:25 AM by SkullKid »
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Knight

• Antweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 12:55:03 PM »
I'm still not sure how to respond to this. Where do I start?

• The camerawork is lazy
  • The editing is near non-existent. It looks like you just plonked raw footage onto a timeline and then added some music
  • The sound design is incredibly lazy. No attempt to hide any distracting sounds that your camera picked up
  • You stumble over your words a lot
  • You repeat some things a lot
  • You really couldn't find any suitable sound effects?
  • Your commentary is dull and not captivating in the slightest
  • There's no attempt to actually animate anything. Instead, you just manhandle your toys on camera and hope the audience is immersed anyway
  • There's no attempt to disguise the fact that this is taking place in someone's bedroom/living room/basement/torture dungeon, but the audience is apparently meant to ignore this

It may sound harsh, but it felt like a chore to watch these videos.

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
You may want to try it on RA2, I appreciate the enthusiasm shown by you though :)

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »

• The camerawork is lazy
  • The editing is near non-existent. It looks like you just plonked raw footage onto a timeline and then added some music
  • The sound design is incredibly lazy. No attempt to hide any distracting sounds that your camera picked up
  • You stumble over your words a lot
  • You repeat some things a lot
  • You really couldn't find any suitable sound effects?
  • Your commentary is dull and not captivating in the slightest
  • There's no attempt to actually animate anything. Instead, you just manhandle your toys on camera and hope the audience is immersed anyway
  • There's no attempt to disguise the fact that this is taking place in someone's bedroom/living room/basement/torture dungeon, but the audience is apparently meant to ignore this

It may sound harsh, but it felt like a chore to watch these videos.
I don't think you sound "harsh" at all. Everybody's a beginner at things, including video editing. I haven't done this for a long time, so I accept criticism, be it good or bad. Still, everybody's different. Your opinion is up to you.

I'm quite satisfied with it. If you don't like my videos, don't watch them then. I have already got a like for one of my videos. Oh, and about the animation, I choose to use my hands to drive the robots, as I see stop-motion as ineffective and time-consuming, plus it looks AWFUL. Other than that, I got inspiration from "Hogwild94".

Like I said earlier, if you don't like my videos, DON'T watch them. It's really simple as that. I do this my way.

You may want to try it on RA2, I appreciate the enthusiasm shown by you though :)
Thanks Jay :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:22:17 AM by SkullKid »
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:22:03 PM »
don't get offended here.

bro I know it's hard to hear, but Knight is 100% correct. I'm not saying this to be mean. His notes are valid. Your videos need a lot of work if you want them to be entertaining.
and don't say "don't watch my videos if you don't like them", because improving your videos will make more people WANT to watch them. You just dissed off Knight's advice by saying "oh I do this my way"... which, you know, is fine, but don't use it as an excuse to not improve. As it is, it's just a person moving toys on their desk :/

Please don't use this criticism as a reason to be bitter or not post any more of your videos though, use it as a reason to grow and improve in your videos. Like I said, I'm not doing this to be mean. I wish you the best man. :)

ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Natef

• Rep: 6
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:31 PM »
As someone who (used to) make youtube videos, one of the best things you can do to improve is to listen to what your viewers have to say and take in their advice.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 03:05:53 AM »
don't get offended here.

bro I know it's hard to hear, but Knight is 100% correct. I'm not saying this to be mean. His notes are valid. Your videos need a lot of work if you want them to be entertaining.
and don't say "don't watch my videos if you don't like them", because improving your videos will make more people WANT to watch them. You just dissed off Knight's advice by saying "oh I do this my way"... which, you know, is fine, but don't use it as an excuse to not improve. As it is, it's just a person moving toys on their desk :/

Please don't use this criticism as a reason to be bitter or not post any more of your videos though, use it as a reason to grow and improve in your videos. Like I said, I'm not doing this to be mean. I wish you the best man. :)

i second this

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
don't get offended here.

Sure, I can take advice, if it constructive, but Knight brought up negative points, not what could be improved. I do indeed do this my way, and I'm not changing that statement in any way. BUT I AM open for advice, if it sounds more like what jaydee99 said. Bringing up negative things won't really "cheer" me up to do anything to change what I am doing. Sure, if you read this Knight, please tell me what I can do to improve my videos, I would definitely appreciate it.
Best Regards,

Skull Kid

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »
Knight brought up negative points, not what could be improved.
The negative points he brought up are what could be improved:

• The camerawork is lazy Try to improve your camerawork, maybe set up different angles the way the Lego robot wars guy did it?
  • The editing is near non-existent. It looks like you just plonked raw footage onto a timeline and then added some music Maybe you could try searching for some tutorials online, I'm sure there are plenty for whatever editing software you choose to use
  • The sound design is incredibly lazy. No attempt to hide any distracting sounds that your camera picked up You could try not recording everything at once, and record the commentary and video separately. Then you can mute the video sound, and use sound effects instead. I'm pretty sure on the original Robot Wars JP wasn't watching the fight live as he did his commentary, although maybe someone who knows for sure could correct me there.
  • You stumble over your words a lot Maybe you could have a script before you start so you know exactly what you want to say
  • You repeat some things a lot Again, try using a script
  • You really couldn't find any suitable sound effects? Search free sound effect websites (maybe freesound.org off the top of my head, or even the sound effects from DSL might work)
  • Your commentary is dull and not captivating in the slightest Again, a script might be useful. Maybe have someone read it over and give feedback before you record it too.
  • There's no attempt to actually animate anything. Instead, you just manhandle your toys on camera and hope the audience is immersed anyway Stop motion can be done very well. Yes, it takes time, but if you genuinely care about the quality of what you're producing then you should be prepared to invest some time in it. If it does take longer to make a video, just put out videos less frequently and work for longer on each video
  • There's no attempt to disguise the fact that this is taking place in someone's bedroom/living room/basement/torture dungeon, but the audience is apparently meant to ignore this Try and set up some backdrops to enclose the area you're filming in.

Rather than look at what Knight said and dismiss it because of the way he worded it, look at what he said and think about what the issue is, and how you could fix it.
Obviously I can't make you change anything if you don't want to, but you could try some of these ideas out and see if they work for you.
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 02:17:47 AM »
don't get offended here.

Sure, I can take advice, if it constructive, but Knight brought up negative points, not what could be improved. I do indeed do this my way, and I'm not changing that statement in any way. BUT I AM open for advice, if it sounds more like what jaydee99 said. Bringing up negative things won't really "cheer" me up to do anything to change what I am doing. Sure, if you read this Knight, please tell me what I can do to improve my videos, I would definitely appreciate it.

it is constructive... the fact that it pisses you off has nothing to do with it being good advice or bad advice

Offline SkullKid2000

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 02:33:55 AM »
Alright. I didn't put a heck a lot of time in those videos, but yeah, Knight has a point. But as my interests in different things changes, I can't promise I will upload another one soon, or at all. Sure, they could have been done MUCH better, but I did what I thought would be good enough, and surely it could have been made better. So Knight, I'm sorry. But I guess everybody can fall into conflicts sometime. It just doesn't happen to me a lot.

Best Wishes to you all :)

SkullKid2000
Best Regards,

Skull Kid