Author Topic: Favourite non RA2 Video Game?  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Favourite non RA2 Video Game?
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »
posted this the last few times we had this thread
these are more like top games that have made an impression on my life though, not necessarily favorite ones at the moment.

Game (first played date, not release date)

20. Strike Vector (2013)
   Incredibly solid third-person Quake-esque arena shooter with spaceships. Very fast-paced. I haven't played it as much as many of the games on this list, but it left so much of an impression in that time that I had to put it on.
19. Miniclip (2005)
   What person in middle school didn't play miniclip (or teagames or nitrome)? This may not count as "a game" but dangit you know what I mean. I KNOW YOU WERE THERE TOO
18. Oregon Trail: 5th Edition (2002)
   Played this a ton in grade school. 90 year old Jedidiah and his 5 pre-teen grandkids unfortunately didn't make it to the west coast with their Conestoga full of grandfather clocks most of the time.
17. Pearl Harbor: Zero Hour (2002)
   This obscure super-low budget WWII fighter game that I oddly have fond memories of. Very arcadey gameplay. Once you beat level 10 you unlocked BS cheat ships like a Raptor and UFO and had to go on a mission back in time to save Pearl Harbor. I never beat the bonus mission for 10 years and I lost the disk. Fortunately I found an iso like 2 months ago and beat it... it was super lame but I can die happy now and I regret nothing.
16. Champions Online (2011)
   The only MMO I have ever played and likely will ever play. Super mindless, but the gameplay is cathartic to me and I will never not like a game with endless stats and character customization.
15. Minecraft (2011)
   I was alive in 2011.
14. Left 4 Dead 2 (2012)
   Super solid co-op game. Great fun in college.
13. Depth (2015)
   Possibly the only co-op game I would put higher on this list than L4D. It's basically a 4v2 underwater L4D with divers vs sharks. Very fun game and extremely tense. Again, I played this a ton with college bros and that alone makes it worth mentioning.
12. Smash Bros Brawl (2010)
   I don't play it much now, but back in high school I played this a lot. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and had no friends to play with, so I never really got that good. Still, a classic.
11. Mata Nui Online Game I/II (2001)
   Quite possibly one of the best flash games ever made. This was a not-insignificant factor I am still the hopeless Bionicle fanboy I am today. Playing this in 2001 blew my mind, even though I didn't understand much of it. Playing it since then really makes me appreciate how inspired the story and art was in this series. For me, best toy line ever made full stop.
10. Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 (2002)
   Classic. Got it second hand from my cousin when I was 6 or so? I have 2 and 3 but 1 will always be the one for me.
9. POD (1999)
   Racing game with fairly standard mechanics that game bundled with a lot of Win95s. What sets it apart for me is its super inspired artstyle along with a ton of free DLC, which is even more impressive since it came out in 1997. This is one of the first games I ever played, and I still play it today occasionally.
8. Trackmania United Forever (2009)
   Geez, I played this in 2009 so much it isn't funny. I wasn't even that good, but man did I enjoy every minute of it. Made tons of crappy tracks, got smeared by people that had decent framerates and better driving skills, but I regret nothing.
7. Lego Stunt Rally (2000)
   This is a big deal for me. This game is a (pretty mediocre, honestly) isometric railroaded racing game where you could build your own tracks. I bought this game with my own $7 when I was 5 years old and I played it straight for over a year. It was my first 'addiction' to a game you could say. It's nothing special as a game but it will forever be important to me.
6. Civilization III-V (2004)
   One of the few games (series) that I reliably play as much now as I did when I first found them. Got Civ III in some scholastic catalog back when I was 8 or 9 and it blew my mind. It might have done more to influence my love of history than I give it credit for. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't be doing the comic I'm doing if it wasn't for this game. Played IV and V a ton as well, both are extremely good games in their own way and outshine III by a long shot.
5. Skyrim (2012)
   Sorry. It was on sale.
4. Lego Racers 2 (2003)
   Yeahhhh boyyyeeeee. Spent more afternoons in 3rd grade playing this thing than I can count. One of the first games I 'beat'. It will always be near and dear to me.
3. Combat Flight Simulator I (2001)
   My dad is a huge WWII history and airplane buff and it rubbed off on me. This is a 1998 game where you just fly around a WWII fighter and shoot stuff. It's pretty realistic with physics and stuff if you want it to be, or you could be like me and turn on unlimited rockets and fly under the Eiffel Tower to dodge ME-109s. This and Lego Racers will forever be the face of grade school gaming for me.
2. Team Fortress 2 (2011)
   Yeah so I was never one for shooters before I tried this. Gave it a shot right after the f2p update and here I am with 2300hrs. And I was still hooked while my only option was to play it with 10fps on my old laptop. Best shooter ever made. Haven't stopped playing it since I started.
1. Robot Arena 2 (2003)
   What can I say? It is the only game besides Civ I play as much today as I did when I was a kid, and its more special to me than Civ by far. We've had ups and downs, but you will always be mine, girl.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »
cod black ops
borderlands 2
csgo
metro last light
combat arms from way back
pubg even thought i makes me want to die
runescape
and unironically sword art online hollow realization
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
Sonic Mania, Undertale, Oneshot, Kirby Superstar, ShellShock Live...

Just to name a few.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »
DDLC
who is best doki

Sonic Mania, Undertale, Oneshot, Kirby Superstar, ShellShock Live...

Just to name a few.
I like this too.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 09:31:03 AM »
DDLC
who is best doki
Great answer!  I love it!!!

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »
DDLC
who is best doki
Great answer!  I love it!!!
Same here.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 07:14:41 AM »
My favourite mobile games:
Doom.

that all. Doom source port for Android.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »
I'll give my top 10:

10) Super Smash Bros Melee (2001) - I played it a lot, did the adventure mode and battled against AI endlessly. Didn't battle so much against other people and obviously I never got remotely good.

9) Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (2012) - In my opinion, this is one of the best single-player RPG games out there. The graphics are wonderful (for a game from 2012..), the skill system encourages hybridization and the combat is super smooth. The main selling points for me is that its super immersive, full of lore, and has a really good story if you're into that sort of thing.

8) Spiral Knights (2011) - This crappy Java mmo shows how cartoony graphics and very simple fighting mechanics can still make for interesting and engaging combat. Each weapon and monster type has a different attack pattern, varying attack speeds, varying areas of effect, etc., and that results in good positioning games and good improvement by remembering how the monsters act.

7) Dungeons of Dredmor (2011) - Cheap rogue-like game with good graphics, a good sense of humor, and a very good (and very wacky) skill system. Where the game really shines is in reading the effects of all the skills and seeing how they synergize together so you can start each game with a strategy. Actual gameplay is turn based and requires you to constantly think about where the game will be 3 or 4 turns ahead, so there's an emphasis on cool downs, regen rates, and positioning.

6) War of the Roses/Vikings (2012/2014) - I never really got into Mount & Blade, but these are just fighting simulators of two different eras. I'm pretty sure the servers are closed down now. War of the Roses was especially fun for me since you could customize your weapon to exactly the way you wanted it, adjusting things like what the sword blade grind was good against, how durable vs how light/fast shafts were, what kind of metal things were made from, etc. In case you couldn't tell, I really like customization and optimization.

5) Robot Arena 2 (2003) - Game sucks too much to be placed any higher. It's only this high because a better robotic combat simulator was never made (though hopefully that will change). I know most people are into realism, but I mostly appreciate the arcade aspects of this game for what they are. Making skintight, clean, effective robots can be a pain in the butt but It's rewarding in the end and it's fun to see your ideas become functional.

4) Team Fortress 2 (2007) - my name much

3) Minecraft (2009) - I really enjoy both the redstone aspects of minecraft as well as modded minecraft. I've used redstone to build things like 8 bit encoders and decoders before I even knew what they were, and had created ways to store and display messages when I was really young. It was the first system through which I could apply my logic talents. Additionally, technical modded minecraft is fantastic because it allows me to create complicated systems of automation by pulling together a bunch of different mods. I can automate the production of a bunch of different things, and because I'm familiar with all the mods, I know exactly what from each mod I need to make the system work. In other words, seeing how all the mods synergize together is really nice.

2) Mabinogi (2004) - This is a crappy and old MMO by the (not so) legendary publisher Nexon. I've played a lot of MMOs in my time but this one remains very unique and different from the others, and there never has been a game like it since. Combat in the game is kind of like rock paper scissors, except its more like a net of very many skills, and there are cooldowns and attack patterns to deal with. There's also an emphasis on socializing with other players and doing things that aren't combat, which is different from most mmos today (and probably where the game would shine the most if the player base wasn't dead). And the 1st main story line is great.

1) Pokemon Showdown (2011) - Pokemon in general has kind of dominated my childhood. For example, I have over 600 hours in Pokemon Diamond. I like the anime. I like the openings to the anime (I think the ones from adv are the best). Pokemon Showdown allows for competitive Pokemon, which I'm sure most of you know about. I've been playing it off and on for like 6 years now so I like to think I've gotten decently good. I enjoy making Pokemon teams the most, because, you know, there's a lot of optimization and synergy involved in getting all of the Pokemon to play nice. I've also had some programming projects in the past try to analyze the metagame and do some optimization work.

Honorable mentions:
Loadout - cartoony, zany FPS with an emphasis on designing the weapons you use.
The Awakening RPG - one of the best flash game RPGs I've ever found, with a wonderful but simple real-time rock-paper-scissors combat system. Like it's a surprisingly good combat system, I basically copied it in one of my own games.
Battlerite - Like a moba game but no lanes, towers, levels, items, etc. Just arena combat with a cooldown-based system. I've been playing it a lot recently just because its free and sort of new and I don't have anything better to play.
Bloons Tower Defense series - this one doesn't need a description

I do think Undertale and DDLC are fantastic games but there's not as personally important to me as the games on my list.
I think Soma, Prey, and VA-11 Hall-A were some of my favorite games to watch.
Oneshot was good but I feel like it could have gone so much farther with the character's reactions to breaking the fourth wall. As far as RPG maker games go, I liked Blank Dream and Ib, with Ib being (imo) the best RPG maker game there is.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:52:24 PM by UberPyro »

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »

1) Pokemon Showdown (2011) - Pokemon in general has kind of dominated my childhood. For example, I have over 600 hours in Pokemon Diamond. I like the anime. I like the openings to the anime (I think the ones from adv are the best). Pokemon Showdown allows for competitive Pokemon, which I'm sure most of you know about. I've been playing it off and on for like 6 years now so I like to think I've gotten decently good. I enjoy making Pokemon teams the most, because, you know, there's a lot of optimization and synergy involved in getting all of the Pokemon to play nice. I've also had some programming projects in the past try to analyze the metagame and do some optimization work.

Hell yeah. cant believe I would forget it in my list even if it is an odd choice
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 02:06:19 PM »
smash 4 (will be ultimate in 2 months)
f-zero gx
hollow knight
garrys mod
pokemon (all the main series games, basically)
mega man 2

Offline Noodle

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • faggot
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »
World of Tanks lol

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline ACAMS

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »
Poker
Pocket tanks

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 07:02:24 PM »
Slot Machine

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »
World of Tanks lol
This nibba returned, hell yeh

Offline ACAMS

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »
I wonder if anybody still plays Battlefield .... I see Battlefield V is out this month.
I used to love playing, even with my slow out in the sticks internet.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 08:18:17 AM »
I wonder if anybody still plays Battlefield .... I see Battlefield V is out this month.
I used to love playing, even with my slow out in the sticks internet.
Battlefield has went down the sh**ter with recent games, so i doubt this one will be better