Author Topic: Answer to the "GTM revolution" thread.  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Answer to the "GTM revolution" thread.
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
Two things I'd like to address.

-On the various power abuse, changing avatars, things like this : I did it for the lulz, but I shall stop for now. It's not funny anymore and it is indeed making people rage. And more importantly it is unfair. I promise I will stop.

I will now remove all custom titles I have done.

-On me cutting on spam in the main forum: This is the law, by ACAMS's word :

#4 - No spamming/posting dumb usless topics in the main forum

Therefore, I shall stop spam in the main forum, and ESPECIALLY the showcases.

"Spam" means essentially "off topic". I remove any spam post preventively, to avoid a snowball effect and the fact that it can turn into 2 pages of spam or a flamewar.

If you want to talk about another thing than bots or builder skill in the showcases, go to the offtopic section. It's as simple as that.

You say it is not reasonable but i've got two reasons for cutting on spam.

Two good reasons to keep the main forum entirely and strictly spam-free :

-It cuts most page-long spam digressions or flame wars to the root, by eliminating most of the reasons for them. Most spam digressions start with an offtopic post, and most flame wars start with a personal attack, that is spam. It might not eliminate all flame wars, but will do for most.

-A clean, spamless showcase is cleaner and easier to read that one with constant offtopic. Also smaller. Peeking through a 30-page showcase is a bit more annoying if you realize that a total of 5 pages worth of posts are offtopic and pointless to the showcase.

I shall nevertheless rebuild another constitution according to ACAMS's basic rules, and shall strive to make it as clear and logical as possible. I will also develop it in the gaze of the whole community, so people will be able to give their opinion.

Most notably, a little bit of offtopic is allowed if your post does contain ontopic.

Offline SKBT

Re: Answer to the "GTM revolution" thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »
Irrelevant Question Time TM

You say you want to cut down on spam in showcases because it makes them easier to read... Am I allowed to delete old spam from my showcase to clean it up?

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »
Everybody and their grandma is overreacting here. Locked so I can get my response in early CUZ ITS IMPORTANT LAWL

Nary, it's true that you should run a tight ship. I like that in you, a lot. The dedication, I like that too. You're taking the job very personally, which can and will lead to good things...

HOWEVER

Everyone else, while it may be true that he is overdoing it in some cases, your warn level being adjusted is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD FFS. You made a pointless post, and while maybe I would have simply said "Back on topic, guys," An adjustment to your warning level was not unwarranted. Fact of the matter is, we shouldn't have to tell you to get back on topic. You shouldn't be off topic in the first place.

Now that I've had some time to think, here's a reconciled list of the complaints from the iVIVA LA REVOLUCION! thread.
-Pony thread baleeted: MNB asked him to so he could start over. Simple as that.
-Foxpet: 'Twas a joke. I do it too. It wouldn't have been an issue to anyone if 'yall weren't overreacting.
-Excessive cracking down on spam posts: Addressed above.

Mighta forgot one. I'll go check.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »

You say you want to cut down on spam in showcases because it makes them easier to read... Am I allowed to delete old spam from my showcase to clean it up?

You are not only allowed, but very encouraged to do so.

It is your duty as much as the mods to keep your showcase reading-friendly.

your warn level being adjusted is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD FFS. You made a pointless post, and while maybe I would have simply said "Back on topic, guys," An adjustment to your warning level was not unwarranted. Fact of the matter is, we shouldn't have to tell you to get back on topic. You shouldn't be off topic in the first place.

Yes, yes, yes, still yes, and again yes.

Besides, I will include ways to reduce warning levels in the next law system. If you make REALLY GOOD posts, your warning level will be diminished.

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »

Check out my DSL showcase... You'd think I never built a sh**ty DSL bot.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »
Part of the problem may be the nature of the "warn level" system. From what I understand, once your warn level reaches 100%, you are banned for x amount of time. If this is the case, then adding to warn level for extremely minor off-topic conversations is far too large a punishment, as it contributes towards members being banned. It's like doing 52 kph in a 50 kph speed zone, and having your car impounded as punishment. The punishment simply does not fit the crime.

The warn level system, if it indicates proximity to a ban, should only be used for serious offences such as flame wars, excessive spamming, multi-accounting, etc. In the case of one or two slightly off-topic posts in a showcase, a deletion of the offending posts and a written warning is sufficient. Much more is overkill.

Oh, and I disagree with your definition of spam, Nary. Off-topic is simply a discussion that is not along the same lines as the original post. Spam is both off-topic and irrelevant to the conversation. Spamming showcases is not the same as going off-topic, and I believe that it's absolutely critical that this distinction is made and recognized by the moderation staff.

EDIT: Fixed some grammar.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:10:08 AM by R0B0SH4RK »

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »
I still would like mod powers in the new pony thread so I can de-spam it when needed. That thread is special to me.

I for one, know that I deserved my warn, but it was totally worth it. :gawe:
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:13:54 AM »
Well, by Nary's definition, I better go delete some of his posts...
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »
That sounds like a good compromise to me.=) I'm happy with that. Hopefully things will gradually even out, and we can all live in (relative) peace and harmony one more.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline GoldenFox93

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -5
  • The Guy
    • http://www.facebook.com/h
    • http://www.youtube.com/ro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 04:34:42 AM »
That sounds like a good compromise to me.=) I'm happy with that. Hopefully things will gradually even out, and we can all live in (relative) peace and harmony one more.
Hopefully. That, and I got a custom title out of it, which I actually like   :approve:

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
-Soundwave

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 01:12:49 PM »
While I agree with most of the points Nary has made, I disagree with the off-topic in main forum rule for the same reasons as ROBO. Spam actually causes genuine harm to a thread. A large amount of off topic may, but unless there is some potential hint of drama or a possible cause, I cannot begin to understand why on earth it is worthy of a warning; reminders as provided before were working fine, and if something truly dramatic happens, then it is worthy of a warning.

Off topic does not necessarily deteriorate a topic, it merely changes its basic subject temporarily; spam actually harms the thread by creating drama or being distracting. They are definitely not the same.

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
  • Rep: 5
  • :really_makes_you_think:
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
>making main forum spam free
>impossibru
just sayin'
it's like trying to get rid of all the newfags on /b/ it just won't happen.
(◕‿◕✿) discord: uncle_slamm steam: bigmommaprodz #unbanlra2

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 05:28:42 PM »
Agreed with nearly everything said, though I think that the showcases should be modded more by the creator of the thread rather than the mods- it would leave the mods to concentrate on other areas of the forum more as they would not have to spend time deliberating over what is "spam" and what is "harmless derailing".

Otherwise, everythings A-OK in my view. Good luck Nar, may the banhammer be with you in moderate amounts :D

EDIT: The own showcase mod is probably a meh idea, just remembered its only playground you can mod your own threads. Plus it would probably be too complicated, and some people might get power crazy in their own showcases, which would be funny (but create more drama for the actual mods). I'll just leave it up there though.

Offline System32

• Rep: 4
  • Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
Basically, Robo is correct. Each warn is 20%, no? that's 5 mistakes to the ban.

I's have it at 10% for any initial off-topic, and 5% for every extra one. 25% for every swear.
Put this onto your signature if you were part of this crappy fad in '03.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »
Each offtopic post is 10% not 20%. 20% is for insults, personal attacks, swearing (maybe 25%), and spam done on purpose (stupid useless posts that serve no purpose at all)

Maybe I should go to 5% for each following offtopic post.

Offline System32

• Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »
I think that locking the you are banned thread was silly. Unlike one specific forum game thread that SoTG nd GF ruined, it was actually staying true to its purpose.

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »
Unlike one specific forum game thread that SoTG nd GF ruined, it was actually staying true to its purpose.

Which one?

Offline System32

• Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
Unlike one specific forum game thread that SoTG nd GF ruined, it was actually staying true to its purpose.

Which one?
Pretend to be the user above you. 28 pages, 11 off-topic, Mr. AS still retarded.

Offline Natef

• View Profile
    • Nate Reviews Home
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
I can't seem to make out what you are talking about.

At first I thought of story time.

Offline System32

• Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »
It was prolly deleted anyway.