Author Topic: A Community Divided: The GTM Dilemma  (Read 3961 times)

Offline doot

A Community Divided: The GTM Dilemma
« on: December 24, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »
So I may not be the best-versed in trying to talk in general with my opinions, but it has occurred to me that after a talk with a few of the people over on the AHOL (A Heap of Land) discord that there is currently a huge divide with the people over on GTM's side and the AHOL side as well, which has honestly not been talked about much until rather recently.

In a way, it feels like the AHOL discord has become an escape for ex-GTM'rs and active ones alike who want to do RA2-related stuff but don't want to deal with the GTM discord's non-seriousness (not that that is a bad thing, mind you), and while I admit I have bias against that discord, I do feel like whats been driving the two communities apart has slowly become more and more prevalent as 2017 has passed. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but it's something that I feel that, given enough time, will tear what little community we have apart eventually.

That is why I propose that something be done about the whole matter, and why I ask for general opinions from everyone on why this might be happening. Maybe given enough time, we could eventually try and get one large community together that could make everyone happy. For now, though, its something that could be in the far-flung future.

I'm not saying "oh no GTM is dying a violent death" because it isn't in reality. We got GTM CS 2 coming along and a few other things that are happening  from other talented people, but this divide between GTM and AHOL has become an "us VS them" kinda deal, and that is something that could be a huge problem in due time.

That's my opinions, anyway. Feel free to share what opinions you have on the matter, any feedback is appreciated, and hopefully something is worked out soon enough.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Community Divided: The GTM Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »
That's why i created the REAL GTM DISCORD for those who are sick of the toxicity in the "official" Discord. Check it out here.
https://discord.gg/SHdxTez
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »
That's why i created the REAL GTM DISCORD for those who are sick of the toxicity in the "official" Discord. Check it out here.
Even with the Real discord, the overall view on both channels is pretty much the same as each other. Regardless of what MNB claims, both discord channels suffer from the exact same problems. Not only with the lack of seriousness, but also with the over abundance of ****posting, continuous spam of copy-pastas and the lack of moderator response to issues that do come up like when users get into an argument and the moderators sometimes do very little to solve the problem. Personally I do like the discord to some degree being a little more laid back when it comes to having off-topic conversations, but I feel that the with the actions of some users does lead onto many of the problems of the discord like the ****posting and what have you and nothing being done in some extreme cases.  I do know that the moderators aren't completely incompetent and they do take actions against some issues, but the problems that occur come from the moderators more laid back response to most issues that should be solved quickly.

So, how I feel about the situation on the seriousness should be solved as soon as possible. I don't care about the whole toxic user excuse to the behavior on the discord, it's the moderators job to supervise and prevent these problems along the discord users. An if a user carries on then they should do it in a way that doesn't spam up the whole channel.

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
I honestly feal a lot more comfortable in the AHOL discord and I don't know why.  See also: whenever I share GRL related stuff on discord, it's always on the AHOL one.  It's weird, cause I have no hatred for GTM or its silliness.  Maybe I'm just scared of them.
I have several opinions.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Make me a mod again ffs...
Sorry doot for this...

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
And what ideas do you have to help repair this issue? Should the staff do something? Should the userbase do something? Should the meme people do something?

I mean, as long people on GTM behave, we shouldn't have major issues, right? There used to be multiple places for RA2 before.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »
I've asked numerous times for people to tag me or my staff at any point in time where they feel as though they are being unfairly targeted in discord. I've had conversations with multiple people, cleared up issues, mediated situations, and removed multiple "toxic" users from the community. The fact of the matter is this, I can't sit in discord with people all day and hold their hands. I can only handle what is brought to my attention, and I believe the few times that has been done, those that have done so would vouch for my input on the issues. I need the community's help with this just as much as it needs mine.

We've had almost no issues on forum, and very little brought to our attention on discord in months. This presumption that GTM in its entirety is a toxic community is seriously antiquated at this point, until people can start showing me otherwise. If more issues are brought to my attention I am more than happy to start taking volunteers for policing the discord on a more consistent basis.

I don't want people to feel like they need to hide out elsewhere. I want people to communicate with us on what people are doing wrong and what we can do to help. I have 4 discord moderators, and most of your forum staff has some level of permissions on discord as well. If that's not enough, I'll add more. I don't care. Whatever it takes to solve this.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
I don't believe it's a case of toxic behaviour to each other. I believe it's more the case of both groups have no reason to communicate with the other and have nothing between them of interest
Things I did & done

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »
what if we just post ra2 stuff on the ra2 forum instead of on ra2 discords  :really_makes_you_think:

also i have great news for you in the fact that mr as left the gtm discord after kill removed his mod powers when he gave his gtm account to lra2 lol

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »
what if we just post ra2 stuff on the ra2 forum instead of on ra2 discords  :really_makes_you_think:

also i have great news for you in the fact that mr as left the gtm discord after kill removed his mod powers when he gave his gtm account to lra2 lol

Discord gives the best feedback on bots, the forums provide 0 to very little.
Things I did & done

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 04:39:28 PM »
Sorry doot for this...
how bad do you want it ?  :really_makes_you_think:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »
Sorry doot for this...
how bad do you want it ?  :really_makes_you_think:
Very :really_makes_you_think:

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 05:25:41 PM »
Both Discords suck. Join Garry's Wars, instead.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »

I'd rather neck myself :V
Things I did & done

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »

i think this is something everybody can agree upon this christmas day

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »

i think this is something everybody can agree upon this christmas day

Happy Hanukkah
Things I did & done

Offline ACAMS

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
BAAAAAAA ........ HUMBUG!!!!!!!!

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 11:10:04 PM »

and once you get it, there is no permanent record and it's gone forever. and almost no one else gets to see it as a result.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »

and once you get it, there is no permanent record and it's gone forever. and almost no one else gets to see it as a result.
it's not as good for showcasing your bots, but it's better for getting immediate feedback to improve them.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »

it's not as good for showcasing your bots, but it's better for getting immediate feedback to improve them.
You hit the nail on the head. If I wanna showcase a bot that I'm happy with I post it here, but if I'm after advice on how to improve I go straight to the discord.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide