Author Topic: Fresh Metal (FULL)  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fresh Metal
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 05:48:03 AM »
What about V2+ versions of robots, or alternate designs?

These aren't the robots I would enter, but using them as an example. The one on the right "Chicken Biscuit" I have entered in a tournament. The one on the left is designed in the spirit of Chicken Biscuit, and therefore named "Chicken Biscuit JR". It's a completely different robot, but clearly an evolution of the first one. It's never been in a tournament. Would that be an acceptable entry?   [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
typhoons are banned my guy
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline GIRTHQUAKE

• Antweight
  • Awards HOW MANY SHRIMP DO YOU HAVE TO EAT BEFORE YOUR SKIN TURNS PINK Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: GIRTHQUAKE#8520
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 05:52:22 AM »

These aren't the robots I would enter, but using them as an example. The one on the right "Chicken Biscuit" I have entered in a tournament. The one on the left is designed in the spirit of Chicken Biscuit, and therefore named "Chicken Biscuit JR". It's a completely different robot, but clearly an evolution of the first one. It's never been in a tournament. Would that be an acceptable entry?   [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

I mean, i did specifically say they weren't an entry and just an example to something completely irrelevant to weapon teeth...

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 06:11:03 AM »

I mean, i did specifically say they weren't an entry and just an example to something completely irrelevant to weapon teeth...
serves me right for skim reading

Offline BSRaven

• Horribly Wrong Robotics
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 1
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • To my Youtube! Please excuse the dust.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 06:50:31 AM »
So basically no upgrade bot if it was entered before, but brand new one?

That's right. The idea is to for new things to get a chance to shine, so it'd be a bit shenanigans to allow upgraded versions of veterans to show up.
This can't possibly go horribly wrong.

Offline BSRaven

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 12:22:59 PM »
One week later, and things are just about ready for signups. This is just a refresher post since a few things have been picked up and changed over the past week:

Build Rules:
  • DSL-IRL Heavyweights - 800kg weight limit, no nonsensical clipping. If you could cut a hole in it without affecting the bot, however, it's fair game.
  • Your bot cannot be an entrant from a previous tournament, or an upgraded version of an entry in a previous tournament.
  • Component Freedom and DSC IRL packs are allowed and encouraged, as is BFE for chassis height, extender colours and pixel chassis. OBJ bots are also allowed, provided they aren't too heavy on faces.
  • Reskinned components are okay, but only reskins. No wholesale custom parts.
  • Clusterbots are banned. Tried to make them work, but they break the Grand Final too much - sorry!
  • Swiss Army Bots are allowed 3 configurations. The chassis and internals unrelated to the weapon (batteries, drive system, armour etc.) should remain the same across configurations.
  • Flat Motors, Hworf Blades and the Overkill Motor are valid parts from cheatbot2. No others, however.
  • You are limited to 1 Beta Burst/Motor, or 2 VDMA Bursts of the same kind. No mixing and matching.
  • No Typhoon teeth or Mechavore/Microvore/Minion/Miniminion discs. We have so many other parts, let's see them!
  • No servos unless you can do your own AI and send it with the bot.
  • No 'meltybrain' bots.
  • No bots using EternalFlame.py or logic.
  • Steel 10mm armour is banned.
  • No spamming or excessively stacking stuff. This rule applies to both extenders and weapons, and 'excessive' weapon stacking is considered more than 1 tooth per attachment point on the weapon. No doomstacks of teeth!
  • If the loadtime for your bot is too long or it crashes too much during testing, I reserve the right to reject it.
  • If you have a self-righting mechanism that clips through the floor too many times in a given fight, you will be ruled as immobilised.

General battle rules:
  • Reskinned Robot Wars 2016 arena
  • 1v1 battles, 3 minutes or until KO. 3 attempts at recording. Crashes or major havoks on the 3rd attempt will force a judges' decision.

Heat Format:
  • 36 bots spread over 6 heats
  • Before a heat, a poll is held to determine the most popular bots in that heat
  • Heats open with 3 1v1 battles, of which the winners advance, as well as the most popular of the losers from the previous poll.
  • The 4 in the second part of the heat perform Round Robin to determine the winner.
  • In the event of a tie at the end of the round robin, the tiebreaker is a rematch.

Grand Final Differences:
  • Instead of a popular vote deciding the 4th spot in the Grand Final, a Last Chance Rumble will instead occur.
  • The 4 remaining entries will not enter Round Robin, but 1v1s to decide the Ultimate Showdown and the 3rd Place Playoff.
  • The 3rd Place Playoff will be a regular 1v1 battle.
  • The Ultimate Showdown is a 1v1 battle with no time limit. KO or Havok Decision are the only ways the fight will end.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 02:47:07 PM »
 [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

So, here's the short story - I got into Robot Arena 2 through an offhand comment on Youtube, and started hanging around some of the RA2-related Discords as a result of that - some of you may have noticed my entry 'B80' in Orc's Wars, specifically the World Championship in 3. In doing so though, I noticed that I kept seeing a lot of the same names when it came to tournaments - Bocuma, Eyes On Me, and so on. This got me thinking - why not have a tournament that is wholly new bots out there that haven't really been seen?

Thus Fresh Metal was born. 36 robots not seen anywhere else, battling it out over 6 heats and a grand final in a reskinned Robot Wars 2016 arena, to see who is the king of the unseen. Before each heat, a vote will be held to show which entry in the heat is the fan favourite, after which there will be three 1-on-1 fights to open the heat. The 3 winners of these 1v1s will go through to the second round, alongside the most popular of the losers. To determine the heat winner, it will then be round robin format to determine the heat winner, with with ties being decided by rematch.

Build Rules:
  • DSL-IRL Heavyweights - 800kg weight limit, no nonsensical clipping. If you could cut a hole in it without affecting the bot, however, it's fair game.
  • Your bot cannot be an entrant from a previous tournament, or an upgraded version of an entry in a previous tournament.
  • Component Freedom and DSC IRL packs are allowed and encouraged, as is BFE for chassis height, extender colours and pixel chassis. OBJ bots are also allowed, provided they aren't too heavy on faces.
  • Reskinned components are okay, but only reskins. No wholesale custom parts.
  • Clusterbots are banned. Tried to make them work, but they break the Grand Final too much - sorry!
  • Swiss Army Bots are allowed 3 configurations. The chassis and internals unrelated to the weapon (batteries, drive system, armour etc.) should remain the same across configurations.
  • Flat Motors, Hworf Blades and the Overkill Motor are valid parts from cheatbot2. No others, however.
  • You are limited to 1 Beta Burst/Motor, or 2 VDMA Bursts of the same kind. No mixing and matching.
  • No Typhoon teeth or Mechavore/Microvore/Minion/Miniminion discs. We have so many other parts, let's see them!
  • No servos unless you can do your own AI and send it with the bot.
  • No 'meltybrain' bots.
  • No bots using EternalFlame.py or logic.
  • Steel 10mm armour is banned.
  • No spamming or excessively stacking stuff. This rule applies to both extenders and weapons, and 'excessive' weapon stacking is considered more than 1 tooth per attachment point on the weapon. No doomstacks of teeth!
  • If the loadtime for your bot is too long or it crashes too much during testing, I reserve the right to reject it.
  • If you have a self-righting mechanism that clips through the floor too many times in a given fight, you will be ruled as immobilised.

These rules might look familiar - they're a modified version of the Orc's Wars ruleset, since that's what I have the most experience building towards, plus it's what got me into RA2 in such a big way in the first place.

Well, that's me about run out of things to say - here's hoping you guys like the idea and enough of you want to enter, heh. You're also more than welcome to leave your thoughts on what I've got here so far as well, since, well, new tournament host and all.

EDIT: Format layout below.

Welcome to signups
Things I did & done

Offline NickyDustyOwl

• The Scum Of The Earth
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: KermitNicky
Re: Fresh Metal (Signups Now Open!)
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »
Oh My, Look at all those Rejections.
Things I done did:

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2019, 01:52:57 AM »
The amount of rejection and the reasons though. Really strict interpretation of IRL rule (Edit: adding more thought, but I do think for few of the bots, it's bordering on extreme) imo.

Anyway though, in signup post, just call me Billy. I don't prefer being called Kendor on any robot combat game server, despite it being my original ID, as it's from NationStates, and I go by different name in other places.

Also just want to say, but you should add a post about each acception or rejection of entries to notify people on it, rather than people looking themselves

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2019, 02:03:21 AM »
Tbh rejection for some bots are really bard, could you dm me some explanations because some parts are possible irl

Offline BSRaven

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2019, 05:36:48 AM »
At the recommendation of several folks, here's a short list of why I initially rejected some stuff:

Badger's magical floating burst motor:

Sickle's antigravity batteries:

SmallSmallRose's linear actuators:

NickyDustyOwl's AWESOME but not legal weapon:

MrBK's Dodgy Wheels:

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 05:40:55 AM »
You reposted the same pic for first one

Anyway, for second one, that looks legal. I think like it's still attached to an extender om the side points, and I feel like the bot has a baseplate to hold it I think. Plus IRL, you can use other stuffs to keep it held on

For third, ask other people, like me for example, to AI it for you instead. I think she doesn't know how to AI at all

For fourth, so, you rejected it because you thought the thin shaft for the bar would snap on impact IRL, especially with such heavy teeth. Or just it doesn't have enough support because heavy weapon plus non triangular shape

For fifth, I agree. It definitely clips

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 05:54:03 AM »
CROP YOUR SCREENSHOTS PEOPLE, anyway my hot takes below FWIW

Ya, MCL-34 is worse than I remember. I think it's borderline but OK for regular IRL tournaments (It's been accepted a few times now), since you're going more strict I see your point. Fair do's. The whole chassis of the bot is pretty poorly done TBH, so maybe a remake is on the cards.

#2 looks the same, IRL legal by our standards but it's not something you'd actually see IRL probably. Not as bad as my bot.

Rejecting a bot cause you can't AI it is pretty bad, since knowing how to AI is a prerequisite for hosting a tournament. If it's a lifter bot, I'm sure there's a lifter.py or something like that, with a relatively easy setup. Worst comes to worst, you can usually get anything AI'd if you post in the GTM discord asking for help.

#4 see #2 but probably about as bad as my bot if not worse

#5 ya that looks like straight clipping

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2019, 06:02:11 AM »

Ya, MCL-34 is worse than I remember. I think it's borderline but OK for regular IRL tournaments (It's been accepted a few times now), since you're going more strict I see your point. Fair do's. The whole chassis of the bot is pretty poorly done TBH, so maybe a remake is on the cards.

#2 looks the same, IRL legal by our standards but it's not something you'd actually see IRL probably. Not as bad as my bot.

Rejecting a bot cause you can't AI it is pretty bad, since knowing how to AI is a prerequisite for hosting a tournament. If it's a lifter bot, I'm sure there's a lifter.py or something like that, with a relatively easy setup. Worst comes to worst, you can usually get anything AI'd if you post in the GTM discord asking for help.

Tbf for MCL-34, I only accepted the VS version that you made specifically for me. Never saw that bot entered into anything other than this and my tourney

Offline KidDelta

• Treasure Sniper
  • Heavyweight
  • "To Comfort the Disturbed, and Disturb the Comfort
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: X Æ A-12#8572
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2019, 06:05:59 AM »
Wow just realised the Kamen rider inspired bot is literally called Black Hazard.
I shouldn't have come here

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2019, 06:15:12 AM »
For third, ask other people, like me for example, to AI it for you instead. I think she doesn't know how to AI at all
I had a linear actuator robot or two for OW3 and I had no idea how to AI them even with help from others.

Just remember guys, IRL is subjective: each host can deny entries that would be accepted in other tournaments. Let's not jump on Raven for denying stuff when it's his first time hosting. Regardless, hoping Duo gets in and I'm looking forward to this interesting tournament. :bigsmile:
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline BSRaven

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2019, 06:15:48 AM »
For fourth, so, you rejected it because you thought the thin shaft for the bar would snap on impact IRL, especially with such heavy teeth. Or just it doesn't have enough support because heavy weapon plus non triangular shape

It's mostly the bar being too thin to absorb the shocks with teeth that heavy that had me so unsure. It's been fixed though!

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2019, 06:32:13 AM »

Tbf for MCL-34, I only accepted the VS version that you made specifically for me. Never saw that bot entered into anything other than this and my tourney
I didn't make the VS version specifically for you, I made it before I entered either version in anything as a tryhard "Tournament Edition" version of the regular bot, as I do with a few of my builds. IIRC I've entered the axebot version in 1 or 2 other tournaments, where it's been accepted.

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2019, 06:45:30 AM »

I didn't make the VS version specifically for you, I made it before I entered either version in anything as a tryhard "Tournament Edition" version of the regular bot, as I do with a few of my builds. IIRC I've entered the axebot version in 1 or 2 other tournaments, where it's been accepted.
Just want to ask, but what are those tourneys. Never saw them

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2019, 06:49:30 AM »

Just want to ask, but what are those tourneys. Never saw them
Just went back through my PMs and I can't find anything, so I guess I was just making sh** up in my head. My bad, I could've sworn that I submitted it to at least 1 tournament somewhere down the line.

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2019, 07:43:56 AM »
Seeing stuff actually get rejected for sh** like this is pretty refreshing NGL. If tourney hosts stop accepting borderline sh**, build standards are naturally gonna go up as a result.
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide