Poll

Would you join?

Yes.
15 (83.3%)
No.
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Beat The Clock! - Signups  (Read 3063 times)

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Beat The Clock! - Signups
« on: September 28, 2016, 05:27:30 PM »

The aim of this tournament is simple: Beat "The Clock", a fearsome Cruiserweight Ring Spinner that can call time on your bot's life with a second's notice. You have Three minutes to get the job done, but every second counts, as with twelve bots vying to knock The Clock's block off, you better move fast!

Time Puns. :dumb)

Rule Stuff:
-I can AI, although AI'ing yourself is encouraged.
-1 entry per person, to a maximum of 12 (for every hour on a 12-hour clock), and changes can be made up until the deadline. Entries will only be accepted once I have received and tested them. There are no spots reserved, so entries with issues will be refused and that spot may be taken in the meantime.
- Issues mentioned above being an error with the bot, being too heavy, stupid/racist names/skins. Don't push your luck.
-I will not be entering, due to being responsible for "The Clock", in order to remain impartial.

-Middleweight DSL Standard (IRL robots will be accepted at the entrant's risk) (Build style must be stated upon submitting the bot)
-DSL 2.2 + IRL Packs 1 & 2
-No out-of-game modifications, nor any in-game hacks
-No cheatbot2
-Component Freedom is allowed, to a max of three uses (which must be documented when submitting the robot). Rule of 7 break is freely allowed.
-A maximum of 1 of ANY of these components, total. Mechavore disc, Microvore disc, Moros blade, Frenzy hammer, Minion disc, Overkill blade
-All robots must show controlled movement, however, 1WD Crawlers and Clusterbots will be allowed. Crawlers will have a 20Kg weight allowance. Clusterbots must add up to the 399Kg weightlimit, but can be different weights.
-Meltybrain SnS and Trinity Spinners are banned.
-Arena will be The VaporZone by 090901
-The first havok explosion in a match will cause a restart. The second havok explosion will end the match and add a 3-minute penalty to their time. Bots causing deliberate havok explosions will be given a 5 minute penalty.

Format:
-Format will be a time trial versus against a 'Boss' opponent, named "The Clock".
-Fastest time after all 12 bots have fought The Clock wins.
-Matches will be the standard 3 minutes.
-Results will be determined by the in-game timer.
-If after all 12 bots have competed, there is a 2,3 or 4 way tie for 1st place, there will be a 4-way rumble to determine the winner. A tie involving 5 or more bots will result in re-running their matches with the clock, either until a rumble can be enacted, or a clear winner is determined.
-There is also the possibility for 3 rumbles to involve all entrants after the main competition. These are just for fun. Only half a clusterbot will be eligible for these rumbles, if any are entered.

Prizes:

-A Gold 'Swiss Made' DSL Disc set based off The Clock's appearance. These will have boosted stats above their equivalent size, and be able to cause modest damage in their own right.
-A hammer called "The Sands of Time" with an additional frequency-based damage stat.
-The opportunity to build the next 'Boss' robot for the next Beat the Clock tournament.

Both component prizes will be included in IRL Pack #3, and be legal for the winner to use in any of my future tournaments using the IRL Components packs. See below for further info on this.

Entries:
  • - Rob Collins "Pinchy"
  • - Badger "Mule's Kick"
  • - Guldenflame "Time Machine"
  • - Kurt "THOTH - Messy BTC Fix Version"
  • - F1Krazy "Saber"
  • - HavokMcSplosion "Hyperslash"
  • - R01 "R01"
  • - RedAce "Cyanide"
  • - 090901 "SPEEDY SPEED BOI"
  • - Ben Purse "The Little Bot That Could"
  • - Thrackerzod"Akaname"
  • - Baconus_Yum "Bacon Flipz"

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS MIDNIGHT ON HALLOWEEN! SPOOPY!
ENTRIES OR CHANGES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS TIME
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:48:34 AM by dragonsteincole »

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Beat The Clock!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 07:36:30 AM »
Cool concept, but DSL2.2 might not be the best for this, as it's super imbalanced (with mechavore discs and frenzy hammers). Pretty much every entrant is gonna be a weapon spam hammer or popup I'd bet.

Still gonna enter either way :P
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 08:01:12 AM »
That is a potential outcome, but I still feel it's negated somewhat by the nature of the fights. Its about defeating a larger bot quickest, everyone has the same situation, and if there's ties then it comes down to fights against each other.

An idea for the future could be a parts list that includes an automatic time handicap to avoid spam. Using those two components as an example, people could still use a Frenzy Hammer or Mechavore disc, but will receive a +5 seconds to their time for every one on the bot.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:28:14 PM »
just limit the amount they can use like craaig did.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 08:43:16 PM »
Added that list of limited components to the rules.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Beat The Clock! - Signups
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

The aim of this tournament is simple: Beat "The Clock", a fearsome Cruiserweight Ring Spinner that can call time on your bot's life with a second's notice. You have Three minutes to get the job done, but every second counts, as with twelve bots vying to knock The Clock's block off, you better move fast!

Time Puns. :dumb)

Rule Stuff:
-I can AI, although AI'ing yourself is encouraged.
-1 entry per person, to a maximum of 12 (for every hour on a 12-hour clock), and changes can be made up until the deadline. Entries will only be accepted once I have received and tested them. There are no spots reserved, so entries with issues will be refused and that spot may be taken in the meantime.
- Issues mentioned above being an error with the bot, being too heavy, stupid/racist names/skins. Don't push your luck.
-I will not be entering, due to being responsible for "The Clock", in order to remain impartial.

-Middleweight DSL Standard (IRL robots will be accepted at the entrant's risk) (Build style must be stated upon submitting the bot)
-DSL 2.2 + IRL Packs 1 & 2
-No out-of-game modifications, nor any in-game hacks
-No cheatbot2
-Component Freedom is allowed, to a max of three uses (which must be documented when submitting the robot). Rule of 7 break is freely allowed.
-A maximum of 1 of ANY of these components, total. Mechavore disc, Microvore disc, Moros blade, Frenzy hammer, Minion disc, Overkill blade
-All robots must show controlled movement, however, 1WD Crawlers and Clusterbots will be allowed. Crawlers will have a 20Kg weight allowance. Clusterbots must add up to the 399Kg weightlimit, but can be different weights.
-Meltybrain SnS and Trinity Spinners are banned.
-Arena will be The VaporZone by 090901
-The first havok explosion in a match will cause a restart. The second havok explosion will end the match and add a 3-minute penalty to their time. Bots causing deliberate havok explosions will be given a 5 minute penalty.

Format:
-Format will be a time trial versus against a 'Boss' opponent, named "The Clock".
-Fastest time after all 12 bots have fought The Clock wins.
-Matches will be the standard 3 minutes.
-Results will be determined by the in-game timer.
-If after all 12 bots have competed, there is a 2,3 or 4 way tie for 1st place, there will be a 4-way rumble to determine the winner. A tie involving 5 or more bots will result in re-running their matches with the clock, either until a rumble can be enacted, or a clear winner is determined.
-There is also the possibility for 3 rumbles to involve all entrants after the main competition. These are just for fun. Only half a clusterbot will be eligible for these rumbles, if any are entered.

Prizes:
These are all up for discussion

-A Gold 'Swiss Made' DSL Disc set based off The Clock's appearance. These will have boosted stats above their equivalent size, and be able to cause modest damage in their own right.
-A hammer called "The Sands of Time" with an additional frequency-based damage stat.
-The opportunity to build the next 'Boss' robot for the next Beat the Clock tournament.

Both component prizes will be included in IRL Pack #3, and be legal for the winner to use in any of my future tournaments using the IRL Components packs. See below for further info on this.

So, I've done a lot of new things in less than a month back on the forums. So naturally, I want to try my hand at something else I've not tried before. I want to keep it small in the hopes of it being a quick and gratifying experience for all involved. So, here are some points I want to make here that are open for discussion.

In General - The general spirit of the competition is beating 'The Clock' in a quick and cool way, that bot is not supposed to be some uber-efficient killer, but not a walkover either. How you go about defeating it is down to you, with a few exceptions. It is also why Standard and IRL entries will be accepted, mainly because I am an IRL nub and nobody gives a **** about IRL ;) But if you think you can win quick with an IRL bot or a cluster, or even a crawler, you're welcome to try.

The Prizes - In the past tournaments have had their own specific component prizes, but have either died off shortly after, or the parts have never been heard of again. I never even received the components I won from that Team Challenge tourney from years ago. So, my instinct is to make them a part of the IRL packs, so they're more widely available for everyone to play about with for their own personal enjoyment and showcases, but also allow some advantage to winning a tournament, and at the same time let people know what to expect from them.
A longer-term goal, which probably won't work (lol optimism) is that other tournament hosts using the IRL packs also allow previous winners to use those items in their tournaments, and maybe offer their own prizes to be included in future IRL packs. So maybe there is more encouragement to enter a tournament using IRL packs as you'll be able to use the prizes in more tournaments.
Either way, this is probably going to be seen as an abuse of power, or the components are lame. :dumb)
This is now a signups topic and the rules quoted may not change. You've got 3 months, enjoy

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 09:48:50 AM »
Thank you for moving this to signups, Yugi.

TEASER TRAILER

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »
First Entrant Accepted: Rob Collins w/ "Pinchy"

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 03:11:48 PM »
Thinking about entering, but I can't really build something decent enough.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 03:16:20 PM »
Thinking about entering, but I can't really build something decent enough.
This is my concern as well. I can enter something, but I doubt it'd be capable of even beating The Clock at all, let alone faster than anyone else. I have plenty of time, though...
My DSL Showcase

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
Tournaments are a great way to improve, as you can see why your bot sucks by watching how it loses, and so improve its weaknesses. Don't be scared of entering because you're not good, showcase your entry before submitting it to get advice, and you'll be fine.

tl;dr do it even if you suck.

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
I encourage anyone to give it a try, as in tests it was not undefeated. It was beaten by some capable MW bots, and also some surprising MWs too.

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • Rep: 5
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 04:03:49 PM »
I'll see if I can come up with something. Does the middle of the bot spin, or is it open?
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 04:25:47 PM »
There's a gap between the bottom disc and the 'clock' disc, yes.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 05:44:51 PM »
Tournaments are a great way to improve, as you can see why your bot sucks by watching how it loses, and so improve its weaknesses. Don't be scared of entering because you're not good, showcase your entry before submitting it to get advice, and you'll be fine.

tl;dr do it even if you suck.
I understand what you mean, even if this is only limited to 12 entries.
Thing is, I don't see the design that I have in mind working at all in DSL(at least not in this way unless I weapon/motorspam) but I do have two new concepts in mind.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline F1Krazy

• Put me on a pedestal and I'll only disappoint you
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 4
  • Tell me I'm exceptional, I promise to exploit you
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »
I'll see if I can come up with something. Does the middle of the bot spin, or is it open?
Well, this gave me an idea... I might not do so badly after all...
My DSL Showcase

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 10:14:56 AM »
Well, this gave me an idea... I might not do so badly after all...

Well time is now ticking, as 6 of the 12 positions have now been filled!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:41:31 PM by dragonsteincole »

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »
HavokMcSplosion "Hypershock"

Typo or replica?
I have several opinions.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 01:07:26 AM »
Sssssent. (rip snekbot)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 05:17:07 AM »
Did some dude enter the same bot as they did into wildcard rally?

¬_¬