Poll

Would you be interested in entering?

Yes
32 (86.5%)
Not yes
5 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: [DSL IRL HW & BW] GTM Live - Signups  (Read 7495 times)

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[DSL IRL HW & BW] GTM Live - Signups
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:43 PM »
"nice, original logo, yugi" ikr, thanks for bringing it up
In GMod, I have a cool series going on called "Garry's Wars Live", in which everyone tries their absolute hardest to make Live(Extreme)-esque robots and make them look the best they can be. I have run it twice and it has been great fun both times. Here's a link to the first one, for reference:
So, I kinda want to do it in RA2. I will have to change the format a bit because I was very selective in the Garry's Mod version, considering it was very relaxed and not competitive, however I will have to have less of a hand in matchmaking in this iteration, in order to stay impartial enough for this to be a proper GTM tournament.

Rules and everything you need to know:
DSL 2.2
HW and BW
Very strict and selective IRL - Not only must your bot be IRL but it needs to look good. Give all your bots your best effort and this tournament will end up looking amazing. Don't worry about combat effectiveness too much because this format has always been intended, and will continue, to be incredibly relaxed and suited for fun and showcasing very good-looking IRL bots. I reserve the right to reject anything if I deem it below the standard assumed by this rule.
DSC's IRL Components are allowed.
Rob's black beater bars are allowed.
In terms of BFE, in-game glitches, cheatbot2 and all that jazz, it's all allowed - This is extremely counter-balanced by the IRL rule, as one should know and assume. Just use what you need to use in order to make really good-looking robots!
Spinners are banned - This will be rather upsetting for some builders but do bear in mind the theme of this tournament. You must be making robots that you would likely see on the Live circuit (now Extreme Robots). Considering even Extreme Robots are having issues allowing spinners, right now, then I'm gonna take issue with accepting them in this tournament. Spinners will be allowed for the lower weightclass (BW). Servos for weapons such as Cherub's (lifters) are fine.
Flamethrowers are banned for reasons akin to the spinner ban.
Interchangeable weaponry is allowed.
Multibots are allowed.
I will only restart havok explosions if there is no clear winner - If havok explosions keep happening and they happen so soon that no winner is obvious, then I'll just have to DQ whichever bot is havoking.
The arena will be the Robot Wars Live arena from the RWRA2 mod, if you haven't already assumed/guessed.
I'll do all the AI, although the burden of AI'ing may be on you if I can't get tricky bot types to work properly. Basically, just stick to Eruption-style flippers and everyone's happy ;)
Unlimited amount of people can enter, although I may provide a restriction if I feel like little interest in this results in procrastination from the few that do wish to enter.
I will mention the amount of bots I will accept per entrant after I go over the format, in order to not confuse anyone.

Format:
GTM Live - This is the main event/bracket. This is a single elimination tournament for HWs.
Tag Team Terror - You can either enter your own team of 2 HWs to enter this bracket, or you can team up with someone else and enter as a team that way. Single elimination bracket.
BW Rumble - The format of this may differ depending on how many people enter. If 16 BWs get entered, there will be 4 4-way rumbles in order to determine the final 4-way which will determine the winner. If 8 or 12 enter, the format will be the same, just with less qualifying rumbles. If it's something like 18, then it will be 3-way rumbles and I think you get the idea. If I cannot, somehow, fit rumbles into the format due to the number of entries, it'll simply be single elimination.
Flipper Frenzy - This is just a one-off side event in which I will cherry pick 4 of the best looking flippers, if there are 4, and they'll face off in a rumble. This may or may not happen, it depends on the bot types entered.
Royal Rumble - This is my take on the Annihilator. Every HW entered into the main competition will be given a random number and that will be its entry number. Numbers 1-4 will begin a rumble. Once one robot is eliminated, I will restart the rumble with the eliminated participant being replaced by entry 5 and so on.
Exhibition/Grudge Matches - Once the splashes are up, feel free to request any fights you'd like to see and they'll all be done once all the events are over.

Rules and everything you need to know cont.:
Each entrant may enter up to 3 bots in the main comp, up to 2 additional HWs for the Tag Team Terror and up to 2 BWs - This means you can enter up to 7 bots maximum (3 for the main comp, 2 for the Tag Team Terror if you're going solo and 2 for the BW comp). Your entry/ies for the main comp may be one or both of your entries for the Tag Team Terror.
You have to enter the main competition but you do not have to enter the other events - You'll automatically be entered into the Royal Rumble and, possibly, the Flipper Frenzy with your main comp bot, anyway.
Every entrant has gotta have theme music for their main comp bot! - If you've ever seen a Live event or the video linked at the top, you'll know that every bot has gotta have their intro theme. When sending your bot(s) in, provide me with a link and timestamp to the intro music of your GTM Live bot. The intro should only last around 10 seconds, so bear that in-mind when sending it to me. If you don't provide me with music, I'll improvise based on your bot's name and/or appearance. I won't accept anything for intro music, however. Be, at least, semi-realistic in terms of music choice.

I hope everyone can sense the showcase-y type feel I am giving to this tournament because I really would like this to be the grand spectacle of IRL talent that it is in GMod. Don't take this tournament incredibly seriously in terms of competitiveness. No-one is gonna give you mad props for winning but one will definitely give you credit for an awesome IRL build.

Accepted entries:
HW:
1. TGM - Holy Wings
2. ty4er - Mortuary
3. Guldenflame - Stiff
4. Guldenflame - Beast
5. Guldenflame - Launch Pad
6. TheRoboteer - Aquarius
7. TheRoboteer - Exodus
8. TheRoboteer - Cascade
9. Thyrus - Chelsea Grin
10. Thyrus - Highvemind
11. Thyrus - C5
12. KillerTurtleG - Durable as Pin
13. KillerTurtleG - The Puppeteer
14. KillerTurtleG - TT1
15. KillerTurtleG - On The Head
16. RedAce - Aggressive Negotiations
17. RedAce - Krokodil
18. RedAce - Yellow Jacket + Junior Jacket

FW:
1. TGM - Tiny Little Flipper
2. Guldenflame - Blurbifurbli
3. Guldenflame - Jumbo
4. Thyrus - Insert N2
5. Thyrus - Y Tech
6. RedAce - Numero Uno
7. RedAce - Patriot
8. jdg37 - Dramma King
9. jdg37 - MiniMow
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:02:21 PM by yugitom »

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
Re: [DSL IRL HW & BW] GTM Live
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:47:56 AM »
Questions:
The metagame
Multibots
Do sawblades count as spinners if used on a control bot
SnS

Otherwise, I look forward to this. 
I'm personally sick of Beetleweights right now, but I have no power on the lower weight class.

Good luck with this thing.
I have several opinions.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 12:55:03 AM »
DSL 2.2
Multibots are allowed for anything but the Tag Team Terror.
Sawblades are banned under the no-spinner rule. Btw, servo motors are completely fine if one wants to make a bot like Cherub or something.
SnS as in Nuts? If so, then that's fine. Your typical stock/DSL-S SnS is banned, tho.

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 02:42:57 AM »
I honestly think the so-called Beetleweight class idea may seen like a good idea, but if happen to be someone like me, you may realize on how difficult it is in actually build an actual good looking Beetleweight when you have so many heavy parts like colourful armour plates that take up most of the 175kgs that you have on hand. I'm aware that there are many parts that are some what light in DSL like the ant blades and such ,and there are many good, almost IRL beetles in tournaments like Forest Fire, but most of the beetles will end-up being mostly thick, chassis like MR Log or my own BMPR. So, I do suggest of upping the weight limit to something like light-weights, so people can make good, flax featherweight robots without worrying about the lower weight limit and having more weight to play around with without properly destroying the idea of Feather-weight robots. Or just set your own custom weight class for something like 200kgs for instants.

One final question: Is there any possible limits on weaponry like Frenzy Hammers and Overkill Blades?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:30:40 AM by Dark-Al »

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 05:35:21 AM »
When you say no spinners, drums are cool tho yeah?

And distractionbots are banned too right?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline NeonCalypso

• PMD Comics are my fetish
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Objective: Survive
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »
Are rammers with flail sawblades allowed? Because I wanted to build something unique.
>not letting me ai my own robot

unironically kill yourself
Stuff I won at

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »
One final question: Is there any possible limits on weaponry like Frenzy Hammers and Overkill Blades?
No. Anyone that does spam OP weapons will just be rejected, anyway.

When you say no spinners, drums are cool tho yeah?
Drums are spinners. Drums are banned.

And distractionbots are banned too right?
Not necessarily. I suppose having a distraction bot would make you a multibot, which are allowed.

Are rammers with flail sawblades allowed? Because I wanted to build something unique.
Depends how realistic it turns out to be. Just use your common sense whilst building and you'll probably guess whether or not it's allowed.

Offline Witherana

• The Man
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Hm, what am i doing here
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »
well, this sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to see this in the signups

Been doing this for 8 years...

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
Btw, I should say that DSC's IRL components are allowed.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
I think doing HW and LW divisions would be best rather than HW and BW because there isn't enough weight to work with for looks in the BW class.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
I dunno, the BWs in this look pretty nice. Not to mention that I want the weight class to be as close to FW as possible.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »
iirc there was an unofficial 200kg featherweight class a while back that a couple of people tried to push

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »
Real-life featherweights are 0.1363 times as heavy as heavyweights, meaning it'd be closer to AW in RA2 than BW at 109.04 in-game kg.

I don't recommend using a 110 kg weightclass for the tournament, I'm just pointing this out.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
Real-life featherweights are 0.1363 times as heavy as heavyweights, meaning it'd be closer to AW in RA2 than BW at 109.04 in-game kg.

I don't recommend using a 110 kg weightclass for the tournament, I'm just pointing this out.
I’d argue that IRL IRL HWs are closer in power to RA2 IRL SHWs
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline jdg37

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • I got kids
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
I dunno, the BWs in this look pretty nice. Not to mention that I want the weight class to be as close to FW as possible.
HBs Son of Catharsis is pretty cool

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 01:19:47 AM »
Added rule about flamethrowers which I thought I'd address outright for the non-Brits out here.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 05:50:22 PM »
Very important rule change based on the amount of entry freedom that I gave people in GMod. There's usually no cap on entries, however I would like to impose one so that this tournament doesn't get flooded by one person:

Each entrant may enter up to 3 bots in the main comp, up to 2 additional HWs for the Tag Team Terror and up to 2 BWs - This means you can enter up to 7 bots maximum (3 for the main comp, 2 for the Tag Team Terror if you're going solo and 2 for the BW comp). Your entry/ies for the main comp may be one or both of your entries for the Tag Team Terror.

Offline NeonCalypso

• PMD Comics are my fetish
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Objective: Survive
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
7 entries? I'm going to have a field day with this one.
>not letting me ai my own robot

unironically kill yourself
Stuff I won at

Offline Merrick

• Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »
I'm all over this.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »

I’d argue that IRL IRL HWs are closer in power to RA2 IRL SHWs
If we use 1200 in-game KG as the baseline for IRL HWs, that means there'd be 5.45 RA2 kg for every 1 IRL pound. 30 pounds for a featherweight = 163.5 kg, bringing it back to roughly BW in terms of RA2.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.