Author Topic: The DSL 2.2 preview and news thread  (Read 290219 times)

Offline kill343gs

Re: The DSL 3.0 preview thread (do NOT post in there unless you have DSL3 news)
« Reply #1380 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
imo, i doubt it will ever be finished. click only seems to come back for april fools, and then disappears.

i love how you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about wherever you go. the first post on this page of this thread is from a month other than april.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't act like an authority on the topic.

If you guys want to discuss doing some sort of side project, there is a whole modifications section dedicated to allow you to do so. Let's keep this thread specifically for updates on DSL3, and cut the man producing it some slack because he is just one person.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1381 on: October 27, 2014, 11:05:10 AM »
cut the man producing it some slack because he is just one person.

Especially considering he is an adult and has other responsibilities in life that may just be more important than working on this every waking moment. You know, adults have more things to tend to than the majority of the teenagers on this forum.

It is highly likely that once it is released, he will still be bombarded by complaints about things that need fixed anyway. So even when there is a final release the work still won't be finished for him.

This may or may not get finished, but either way, be grateful that there has at least been a beta release.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline taylorgang85

• Antweight
  • Rep: -3
  • It's battle time!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1382 on: November 19, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
Hey. I downloaded the DSL3beta from downloads, and for some bizarre reason, it messes up all of the reps from DSL 2. Why is that? Love those round treads, though. I managed to build a rep of 101 with those. Wicked job, man. Keep it up. Just hope that the full version allows you to play with the reps for AI, too. Battled Razer, he wasn't even moving properly.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #1383 on: November 19, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
Taylor, read the thread title - if you have issues, I'd recommend posting a thread in Technical Support rather than posting in the thread that says 'do NOT post'.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline taylorgang85

• Antweight
  • Rep: -3
  • It's battle time!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1384 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »
Hey. I downloaded the DSL3beta from downloads, and for some bizarre reason, it messes up all of the reps from DSL 2. Why is that? Love those round treads, though. I managed to build a rep of 101 with those. Wicked job, man. Keep it up. Just hope that the full version allows you to play with the reps for AI, too. Battled Razer, he wasn't even moving properly.
I though this counted as news.:facepalm: Aw well.:redface: Sorry about that. :baffled:

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1385 on: November 20, 2014, 04:40:22 AM »
I am starting to think than my title edit is useless...

Do we have a dsl3 feedback thread ? I believe we have.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #1386 on: November 20, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
Couldn't this thread be locked?
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1387 on: November 20, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
actually i am thinking of locking but it seems like a dickish thing to do (even if click won't mind). i just think people can read the thread title and refrain themselves from posting.

Offline helloface

• 090901's cumslave
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1388 on: November 20, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
actually i am thinking of locking but it seems like a dickish thing to do (even if click won't mind). i just think people can read the thread title and refrain themselves from posting.
Is DSL 3.0 available to download anywhere yet? if not does anyone know the eta?
are we going to be able to have alternate color extenders/shells/disks/plates and things of that sort in this one? like in a drop down when you click on the item so as to save space
would really contribute to having better looking and more unique bots. ive been wishing forever for such a thing
:p

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1389 on: November 20, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »

Click can unlock the thread when he wants to post.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline toAst

• Rep: 5
  • this one goes out to all of my babies mamas
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1390 on: November 20, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
who the **** is going to have dsl 3 news unless theyre clickbeetle

seriously yall?
-------------------------------
who love to party

Offline Clickbeetle

• In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
*poof*

Hey guys, sorry for disappearing again.  Adult responsibilities and all that.  Just dropping in to let you know what my current plans are for DSL3.

You may have already guessed this, but I'm never going to finish and release it.

Yep, DSL3 is technically cancelled.  In the time since I started it, other people such as 123 and HereticBlue have made other complete mods and, arguably, done a better job than I could have managed.  DSL isn't the only total conversion on the mod playground anymore, which is good for the community, but bad for DSL, as there is more competition for players.  Where would DSL3 fit into the community?  Would it get as big as DSL2 did?  And if so, would DSL2 die out or would we have two versions of DSL in common use?  Those kinds of questions prompted my decision to stop development on it.

BUT.  Before you start an uproar, remember that is still April Fool's Day.  Things are not all as they seem...

I am really cancelling DSL3.  That much is true.

But I am also announcing DSL 2.2.

So... what's the difference between DSL3 and DSL 2.2, you ask?  Well, a long time ago, I made a thread asking the community if they thought DSL3 should be backwards-compatible with DSL2 or not.  The majority thought it should not be, so I started DSL3 essentially over from the ground up.

However, that was a long time ago, and the community is different now, and I have re-thought that decision.  DSL2 is so well-established that it would be a shame to take away player support now.  There are more mods available now and it would be harder for DSL3 to distinguish itself.  So why not retool DSL3 to be backwards-compatible?  Not as its own standalone mod, but as a much-needed patch for DSL 2.1.

Over the last month (when I picked up RA2 again) I have been busily translating component files for all my DSL3 stuff so it will work in DSL2 without breaking any existing bots.  Yep, all your old DSL 2.1 bots will still work in DSL 2.2!  They might not be as good as they used to be, since I've rebalanced some stuff, and they might be slightly overweight, since I've edited the mass on a few things, but THEY WILL WORK.  And I've tried to minimize the amount of conversion you'll need to do between 2.1 and 2.2.  Specifically, I have avoided adding normals to commonly-used weapons that didn't already have them, and avoided making any commonly-used components much heavier.  Stuff like battle axes that nobody ever uses, for example, I felt I could safely make a lot heavier, but razors are still 7 kg and have no normals.  In addition, I made a lot of common components such as extenders and wheels lighter, so your bots will probably, on average, actually lose more weight than they gain.

There are a couple advantages to this approach.

+ I don't have to remake all the replicas.  (The ones I have already remade will still be included, though.)
+ You will be able to use DSL 2.1 AI packs right away in DSL 2.2.
+ All the old DSL 2.1 components are still available in 2.2, including replica parts (which were missing in the DSL3 beta).
+ All the DSL3 beta parts will be available too (yes, there are both round and square extenders now).
+ Less work for me to do!

I was hoping to have a working version ready for release today, but that didn't work out.  So far I have extenders and weapons fully implemented and am working on the motors.  I am not working on any new stuff at this point, just on combining DSL 2.1 with DSL3.  When I'm done with that I will release it as DSL 2.2.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to continue working on that.  I probably won't hang around here much until it's done.  I really want to get this out before I get involved in building and tournaments and stuff again.  I will play RA2 again, but the DSL 2.2 project takes priority.  So I'll see you in another month or so!

*poof*

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
YAY CLICK

welcome back man. everything here looks awesome

Offline helloface

• 090901's cumslave
    • View Profile
    • Awards
April Fools Day is like Clickmas because Click always comes back and gives us cool stuff. Thanks a lot, CB.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I won't fall for this.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
This is the point every year where I forget if Click notes it's April Fool's day and still makes stuff up. Or if he actually tells the truth and uses this day to confuse us.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline cephalopod

Only problem I have is increasing the weight of stuff that doesn't get used much, unless the effectiveness of said items is improved, will mean they get used even less. But we shall see, I'm sure there's tricks up the sleeves.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Good news. Can't wait to see the new balance, hopefully it has less normals everywhere than DSL3.

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Will DSL 3 Beta robots be playable on DSL 2.2 or just break like they do on DSL 2.1?

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
Nice to see you around man. DSL 2.2 sounds pretty interesting. I knew you wouldn't disappoint me today. Even though you posted on March 31st.

Edit: Wait a minute. I just remembered. Are you going to include those new toys you introduced that was originally planned for DSL 3 Beta 2?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:30:54 AM by RedAce »