Author Topic: RWRA2: The Ultimate Remix  (Read 5027 times)

Offline IceCreamRulez

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • That guy who isn't very good at modding
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RWRA2: The Ultimate Remix
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:29:36 PM »
So I've been working on something for the RWRA2 mod that I have named RWRA2: The Ultimate Remix. It started off with me wanting to AI some of the replicas from the 2013 AI Pack so I could battle against them instead of just playing as them. I didn't want to remove any other robots in the mod, so I've created new teams and added the bots in those teams. It started as something of an experiment to see if any of this could be done and after working on this for quite a few weeks now, I got the idea that I could possibly release this to others. However it is RWRA2 and it is somebody else's work and I thought it would be unfair to reupload something I hadn't created. And I was also thinking about whether or not I would get in trouble for including robots that did not have permission to be used. So I have a question for the RWRA2 mod makers, would it be OK for me to put this up for download when it is finished or am I not allowed to do so? And does anybody else want me to release this?

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RWRA2: The Ultimate Remix
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 06:23:05 PM »
Should be possible to release it as a patch that you copy over the base RWRA2. That way you're not reuploading the base mod.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline pokebro14

• Your mother
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Interior crocodile alligator 🤔
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:39:03 AM »
It sounds like a great Idea and I've actually been trying to get new robots for it my self
Achievements and tournament placings

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 05:35:02 AM »
We 0% approve of stuff like this and would prefer the mod left as it's own entity for the pure reasoning we're happy with it. Adding any other work may not be to the same standards we set ourselves.
That said, at the end of the day, we can't stop you doing anything. We've always adopted the viewpoint above and would kindly suggest you don't call it an Ultimate Remix. In our view, the original is the ultimate. :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 07:46:12 AM »
Maybe just name it classic addons?

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
We 0% approve of stuff like this and would prefer the mod left as it's own entity for the pure reasoning we're happy with it. Adding any other work may not be to the same standards we set ourselves.
That said, at the end of the day, we can't stop you doing anything. We've always adopted the viewpoint above and would kindly suggest you don't call it an Ultimate Remix. In our view, the original is the ultimate. :)
I’m sure Gabriel would also not approve of the DSL mod. It feels very hypocritical to me to be so protective and opposed to the alteration of your mod. It certainly goes against the spirit of the GTM modding community as a whole.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:02:57 AM »
So I've been working on something for the RWRA2 mod that I have named RWRA2: The Ultimate Remix. It started off with me wanting to AI some of the replicas from the 2013 AI Pack so I could battle against them instead of just playing as them. I didn't want to remove any other robots in the mod, so I've created new teams and added the bots in those teams. It started as something of an experiment to see if any of this could be done and after working on this for quite a few weeks now, I got the idea that I could possibly release this to others. However it is RWRA2 and it is somebody else's work and I thought it would be unfair to reupload something I hadn't created. And I was also thinking about whether or not I would get in trouble for including robots that did not have permission to be used. So I have a question for the RWRA2 mod makers, would it be OK for me to put this up for download when it is finished or am I not allowed to do so? And does anybody else want me to release this?
Delete this thread or else I'm going to firebomb your house.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »
I’m sure Gabriel would also not approve of the DSL mod. It feels very hypocritical to me to be so protective and opposed to the alteration of your mod. It certainly goes against the spirit of the GTM modding community as a whole.

I literally outlined why we feel like we do... we feel adding other, less-polished material doesn't add positively to the mod and therefore we personally don't approve. I don't think that's a crime.
//

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
  • Rep: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
Although I do not think this was IceCreamRulez' intention, it does come across as a "Let me make a better version of your mod.", which the RWRA2 guys have every right to refuse. But ICR at least went the right way about things and asked for permission from the mod creators. If they don't want their mod chopped and changed and released by someone else, it's their right to make that decision. That doesn't go against the spirit of the GTM Modding community. Releasing someone else's work without their permission just to bait them into a reaction certainly does, but what sort of GREEDY, MALICIOUS BASTARD would do that? :really_makes_you_think:

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
Delete this thread or else I'm going to firebomb your house.
Hey! This is an anti-terroristic community... Dont be a terrorist pls.

Offline doot

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »
Have to agree with Ceph here, as it'd technically just be RWRA2 with a few other stuff just tacked on for not too much of a reason. That being said, though, its not like you have to not make it, by all means, you can. Just wouldn't really fit in with a RWRA2 Ultimate remix from the looks of things and would just be more of an unofficial meshing with a couple of mods (DSL3Beta, RWPack, RWRA2 stuff, etc etc etc).

Though people immediately quick to cry old arguments that got discussed over is quite irritating.

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 11:35:53 AM »
Releasing someone else's work without their permission just to bait them into a reaction certainly does, but what sort of GREEDY, MALICIOUS BASTARD would do that? :really_makes_you_think:
Idk man but he sounds like a cool guy that I would give a heterosexual blowjob to. A brojob if you will.
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
You're only allowed to mod other people's sh** if you're good enough: not an argument edition
Or are you guys gonna try and get a public statement of approval from Gabriel every time you make a mod? :>
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline dragonsteincole

• IRL Pack Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
I mean if you don't have any ability you end up with Retooled, so it's best for all concerned if that is avoided.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
You're only allowed to mod other people's sh** if you're good enough: not an argument edition
Or are you guys gonna try and get a public statement of approval from Gabriel every time you make a mod? :>

...you realise the stuff ICR would like to add is stuff the Mod Team made right? Ha
It's not a matter of the person being good enough. We were never happy enough with the quality to add it. :)
Just how the team feels about their own content. Not sure that's something you could argue with dude, sorry, but thanks for showing concern for the RA2 modding community which we all strongly support.
//

Offline Mr. AS

• robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »
I mean if you don't have any ability you end up with Retooled, so it's best for all concerned if that is avoided.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Retooled. The metagame is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the components will go over a typical builder's head. There's also my nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into the Ground Hover component - my personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these components, to realize that they're not just COMBAT EFFICIENT- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Retooled truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the COMBAT EFFICIENCY in my existencial catchphrase "oof" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as my genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Retooled tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 tournament wins of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Offline IceCreamRulez

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »
The thread has really gone off-topic. Here's an example of what I've done. Chaos 2, Panic Attack and Roadblock are AI'd and in their new teams:

rwra2remix.jpg

Offline Arcane

• The Mildly Pretentious
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »
The thread has really gone off-topic. Here's an example of what I've done. Chaos 2, Panic Attack and Roadblock are AI'd and in their new teams:

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

The biggest issue you'll have with this is keeping these things balanced, IIRC the replicas in RWRA2 are heavier and more powerful than a lot of the replicas in the older RW Mod, you'd have to completely rebuild them with motors from the mod for them to really be useable.

When RWRA2+ was released I did something similar to this and rather cheekily built up replicas of Kat 3 & Mega Morg using hidden components that were scrapped in development. The result was extremely jarring, seeing ultra realistic replicas mixing with almost cartoon like replicas, the lack of visual cohesion was too off putting and I ended up deleting it all... Not to be disrespectful to the people that made the mod but I can see why certain things were excluded from release.

Offline IceCreamRulez

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

The biggest issue you'll have with this is keeping these things balanced, IIRC the replicas in RWRA2 are heavier and more powerful than a lot of the replicas in the older RW Mod, you'd have to completely rebuild them with motors from the mod for them to really be useable.

When RWRA2+ was released I did something similar to this and rather cheekily built up replicas of Kat 3 & Mega Morg using hidden components that were scrapped in development. The result was extremely jarring, seeing ultra realistic replicas mixing with almost cartoon like replicas, the lack of visual cohesion was too off putting and I ended up deleting it all... Not to be disrespectful to the people that made the mod but I can see why certain things were excluded from release.

I get what you mean about the replicas, but it might've been kind of fitting seeing as how they are old robots they are very weak by today's standards. That was a sense of realism I got while working on it. Also, the replicas didn't look out of place when I tried them out with the others in the pack, they looked to-scale and screen-accurate so they would've fit in well.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
Okay so I'm gonna explain out reasoning for not including them

1) no photos for textures. What was used was what was available, nothing special and certainly nothing to the resolution rwra2 used.
2) similarly, they are somewhat amount of scale in general, just built as models and not in scale with each other.
3) most importantly, we didn't have permission from the builders to include them. This was an official rw thing when we released so we had to have permission from every builder. It's not easy tracking some of them down. We tried.
//