Author Topic: Robot Arena 2 Mac  (Read 19065 times)

Offline JoeBlo

Robot Arena 2 Mac
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:58:13 AM »
Hows it going everyone?  ;)

RA2 Stock 1.4

RA2 DSL 2.1

RA2 Ironforge

RA2 Robot Wars Pack

Minimum Requirements
• OSx Yosemite
• Account with Admin Privileges

No boot camp or duel installs just boots right off the dock. (Complete with Mac styling)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:58:03 AM by JoeBlo »

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 2 1.4 Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:43 AM »
Awesome work Joe! Do you know if this will work on Linux, as your 'fix' uses Wine? Can you give a step-by-step tutorial? RA2 is basically the only reason I'm trying to get W10 back on my laptop over Linux Mint.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 07:28:48 AM »
I have barely ever touched Linux so I really couldnt help you sorry,

Basically the Ready to Run app contains the RA2 data, pieces of a windows XP file structure and pieces of Wine that is needed to emulate Windows XP enough to have RA2 run.. Wine provide most of the tools.. I just compiled it all together, added my personal touches and created the application image. :)

Offline LiNcK

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • 8linck8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:43:34 PM »
Nice! I'm unfamiliar eith how OSX works but would this allow for easy "file browsing" to add stuff (mods, bots, etc.) as the standard Windows RA2 does? I'm taking "Ready to Run app" as being basically a single exe rather than the whole folder structure you get in Windows.

Offline frezal

• Pronouns: any
  • Rep: 5
  • I am all eyes
    • https://www.youtube.com/u
    • View Profile
    • Oh, she’s on Instagram!
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: shelly.burger#9497
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 01:02:34 PM »
Hows it going everyone?  ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

It may not be important to 90% of you but I got RA2 happily running native in OSx with some help from the updated Wine, No boot camp or duel installs just boots right off the dock.

Again a lot of you probably don’t use Mac.. but since I’m pretty much a OSx only user it was somewhat important to me to finally get it running and package / Polish it up all nicely so anyone in future can fire it up with no difficulty. (Complete with Mac styling)

Still some tweaks and other bits and pieces I want to iron out before posting a download link but here is some screenies for you all

Suited for OSx Yosemite & El Capitan. May work on earlier software but I haven’t tested it.

Exact clean copy of Robot Arena 2 with 1.3 Patch & 1.4 Patch installed so no other notes to really add.

<No Download Link Just Yet.. Check Back Soon>

I was just trying to get RA2 to run on Wine today. This is exciting!
Destroy your lives, on purpose!

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
We now have a download link! (In the first post) I tried uploading it to GTM's download section but I got an error so I hope dropbox is okay (If someone has data to kill they can always try uploading it to the site)

Minimum Requirements are Yosemite and an Account with Admin Privileges (I tested it on a clean Yosemite and seems to work)

The first time you run it I few bits and pieces will pop up quickly (Just wine setting up camp) and the application will run under the name Wine.. then every other launch after that will run with the name Robot Arena 2. :)

Nice! I'm unfamiliar eith how OSX works but would this allow for easy "file browsing" to add stuff (mods, bots, etc.) as the standard Windows RA2 does? I'm taking "Ready to Run app" as being basically a single exe rather than the whole folder structure you get in Windows.

Yep, At first I feared modding wouldnt be possible but it seems happy enough to accept them

No more difficult then Windows Navigation.. just need to know where to look.

Crash Course: Mac's contain all the data, files, and the program itself, etc behind that programs singular app icon (which is actually a little more simple then windows).. You can either left click the icon to run the game or right click (Control click for purists) to access the files.

Robot Arena 2 > Contents > Resources > wineprefix > Drive_C

Ready to run refers more to no other 3rd party software is needed, ive compiled all the resources :)

I will make a DSL one when we are sure stock is all running bug free

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »

Oh, how I've missed this game. Thanks JoeBlo!

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:11:56 PM »
No problem, glad to see it runs okay on other macs :)

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 09:20:05 PM »
No problem, glad to see it runs okay on other macs :)
Fullscreen seems to cause an issue where the game won't load upon quitting and restarting, and some of the text is missing. (Probably something to do with that font error that pops up.) Other than that, it runs great on my Late 2012 iMac. I'll try it out on my MacBook Pro eventually.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 10:16:06 PM »
Okay thanks.. Ill look into it..

I only briefly tested full screen but seemed alright.. could be a screen size thing though, I tested it on a 13inch Macbook, Where as im assuming your iMac was 24 or 27 inch.

Font one is new though.. cant say I ever saw that error.. Im wondering if its an issue I avoided by having Microsoft Office on my Mac's (since that does bundle a reasonable amount of windows fonts)

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 01:15:00 AM »
Okay thanks.. Ill look into it..

I only briefly tested full screen but seemed alright.. could be a screen size thing though, I tested it on a 13inch Macbook, Where as im assuming your iMac was 24 or 27 inch.

Font one is new though.. cant say I ever saw that error.. Im wondering if its an issue I avoided by having Microsoft Office on my Mac's (since that does bundle a reasonable amount of windows fonts)
Yeah, the fullscreen thing is probably something to do with having a 27" screen. I'll see if my MacBook Pro does the same thing. As for the font error, maybe I just need to install some Windows fonts. I haven't had Office on any of my current rigs.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 01:46:01 AM »
Yeah thats the main thing im thinking.. since 27 inch screens probably didn't exist at RA2's birth lol

Can you remember what bits had text issues? RA2 uses its own font in places but occasionally it requests a system font

Unless the game is trying to locate the XP fonts folder in which case I might need to see if it will like using one of its own fonts instead..

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 03:26:17 AM »
Yeah thats the main thing im thinking.. since 27 inch screens probably didn't exist at RA2's birth lol

Can you remember what bits had text issues? RA2 uses its own font in places but occasionally it requests a system font

(Image removed from quote.)

Unless the game is trying to locate the XP fonts folder in which case I might need to see if it will like using one of its own fonts instead..
In the events, when you get to the part where you need to do repairs, all of the damaged part names in the list are blank.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 03:37:59 AM »
Okay cool, Yeah thats section is definitely calling the system fonts, Ill look into editing it to use its own internal fonts instead.

Mine didnt have that issue so its solvable with the right font.. but what that is specifically I do not know, plus fonts can be a bit of a minefield..

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 06:33:36 AM »
Okay, as a trial here is a font patch for the event repairs (a few parts of UI need patches but we'll test this first)

It contains a modified repairs.gib and an alias to quickly drop it in the right spot (Providing RA2 is in your applications folder)

https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/0851RA2 Font Patch.zip

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 12:52:23 PM »
Okay, as a trial here is a font patch for the event repairs (a few parts of UI need patches but we'll test this first)

It contains a modified repairs.gib and an alias to quickly drop it in the right spot (Providing RA2 is in your applications folder)

https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/0851RA2 Font Patch.zip
Nope. Still get the error and blank text. I wonder what the font is.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
Damn.. There goes that quick fix.. A copy of "Tahoma Normal" may be a starting point font wise?

Offline JoeBlo

Re: Robot Arena 2 Mac
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
Updates!

• I found a way to integrate "Tahoma font" into the emulation (Along with any other system fonts we may need) so I should have a corrected version live soon.

• I also shaved around ~250mb of bloatware from the package making the .app a lot slimmer

• New icons.. because why not?

• Brace yourself... DSL is coming!

Next step.. Port over Backlash... oh wait

Offline frezal

• I am all eyes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 01:37:16 PM »
Oooooh, I'm excited!

Offline xanosz

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Yea Boi
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 12:13:52 AM »
Just wanted to say this is great and I have yet to experience any major issue.

However while on the subject of mods I've had trouble implementing my own. I've found the files we're all familiar with in Contents>wineprefix>drive_c>winebottler and I can add stuff to the Components folder just fine, but the game crashes when adding to the AI or Arenas folders (have only messed with those 3 so can't really comment on any other files/folders). Do you know of any other files/folders you have to edit to get it to work properly?